PDA

View Full Version : Dixie

SicEmBaylor
10/12/2008, 09:50 PM
Question for everyone. Do you prefer the fast up-tempo version or the slower version of the song?

There's definitely a time and place for each, but I'm a sucker for the slower version. It always brings a tear to my eye.

StoopTroup
10/12/2008, 09:53 PM
I like the large one.

http://www.lowculture.com/archives/images/dixie_cup2.jpg

royalfan5
10/12/2008, 09:53 PM
Either way it's no Deutschland Uber Alles.

GottaHavePride
10/12/2008, 09:55 PM
I like "Springtime for Hitler", myself.

SicEmBaylor
10/12/2008, 10:00 PM
:sigh:

JohnnyMack
10/12/2008, 10:06 PM
She hasn't called you back, has she?

SicEmBaylor
10/12/2008, 10:07 PM
She hasn't called you back, has she?

lol. I haven't spoken to her today but that's my fault.

JohnnyMack
10/12/2008, 10:08 PM
Slow playing her. Nice.

GottaHavePride
10/12/2008, 10:09 PM
Mike: So how long do I wait to call?

Trent: A day.

Mike: Tomorrow.

Sue: Tomorrow, then a day.

Trent: Yeah.

Mike: So two days?

Trent: Yeah, I guess you could call it that, two days.

Sue: Definitely, two days is like industry standard.

Trent: You know I used to wait two days to call anybody, but now it's like everyone in town waits two days. So I think three days is kind of money. What do you think?

Sue: Yeah, but two's enough not to look anxious.

Trent: Yeah, two's enough not to look anxious. But I think three days is kind of money. You know because you...

Mike: Yeah, but you know what, mabey I'll wait 3 weeks. How's that? And tell her I was cleaning out my wallet and I just happened to run into her number.

Charles: Then ask her where you met her.

Mike: Yeah, I'll ask her where I met her. I don't remember. What does she look like? And then I'll asked if we ****ed. Is that... would that be... T, would that be the money?

Trent: You know what. Ha ha ha Mike, laugh all you want but if you call too soon you might scare off a nice baby who's ready to party.

Mike: Well how long are you guys gonna wait to call your babies?

Trent, Sue: Six days.

AllAboutThe'O'
10/12/2008, 11:47 PM
Question for everyone. Do you prefer the fast up-tempo version or the slower version of the song?

There's definitely a time and place for each, but I'm a sucker for the slower version. It always brings a tear to my eye.

This is my favorite Dixie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_YpYc7XgaQ

Frozen Sooner
10/12/2008, 11:54 PM
By "slower version" do you perchance mean "Taps"?

salth2o
10/13/2008, 12:25 AM
Slower is better. If you go too fast and crash your Dixie that could be bad news for everyone involved. When/if your Dixie wrecks you have been forewarned. You should have seen it coming.

Okla-homey
10/13/2008, 05:21 AM
The "slow" version is not period, is a modern affectation, and would be unrecognizable to mid-nineteenth century folks. One should recall the tune was written by a northerner, for the minstrel stage, to be sung by performers in blackface. Thus the lyrics, "Oh I wish I was in de land ob cotton..., etc., etc."

Of course, the tune has been deemed woefully offensive by a majority of Americans and should not be played or performed in polite company. At least that's the reason given by the University of Mississippi when they dropped the tune as their fight song.

Flagstaffsooner
10/13/2008, 05:43 AM
I almost wish I was in Dixie. 16 degs here.