PDA

View Full Version : A game for the ages....

TexasLidig8r
10/12/2008, 09:41 PM
I have seen Ricky.. I saw Earl's last year... Billy Sims, Jason White, Peter Gardere, John Blake... I have seen 30 Texas - OU games... but this year was almost transcendent.

The incompetence of the referees for both sides marred what surely will be one of the games of the year.

To Greg Davis' credit.. and I have been one to bash, his game plan was exceptional.. a 4 wide receiver set for the first time this year and using Shipley in place of a tight end by lining him up so a linebacker would have to try to cover him.

Sam Bradford... a man.. poised, accurate.. major props.

Colt.. almost a "coming out" for him.

The stadium... 92,000 strong... the crowd much louder than any prior Red River Shootout...

After the game, the Texas fans I saw.. as they interacted with OU fans... very little "in your face" crap... the knowledgeable ones knew they had just watched two teams laying it all on the line... respect by both sides.

Huge plays... bone headed plays, missed or questionable calls...

Years ago.. Chris Schenkle used to start Saturday telecasts off by saying...
The color.. the pageantry of college football...." ladies and gentlemen.. that is what we saw on Saturday.

Saturday epitomizes everything that is great about college football...

Well done...well played...

Good luck to this very,very good Sooner team the rest of the year.

tulsaoilerfan
10/12/2008, 09:44 PM
Dammit Lid, stop it; you will give horn fans a good name. :) Very classy post from a pretty good guy for a :texan:

OUinFLA
10/12/2008, 09:49 PM
**** off, dip ****

you're just trying to be gracious cause I have lost another bet to you.
:D

the email with the congrats is already sent.

but, publicly, you're team played lights out, and better.
I also have to admit that for the first time, I listened to Mack Brown in the after game show, and he was a perfect gentleman, and a very humble winner. I was impressed.

tulsaoilerfan
10/12/2008, 09:51 PM
**** off, dip ****

you're just trying to be gracious cause I have lost another bet to you.
:D

the email with the congrats is already sent.

but, publicly, you're team played lights out, and better.
I also have to admit that for the first time, I listened to Mack Brown in the after game show, and he was a perfect gentleman, and a very humble winner. I was impressed.

Mack has always impressed me the way he handles himself in interviews; he's a good guy he just happens to coach our biggest rival:texan:

Lott's Bandana
10/12/2008, 09:59 PM
The defense rests, Counselor. (finally)

Well played.

(as I'm typing this, Chargers fans are booing a blue streak because Quentin Jammer just intercepted a pass, took two steps, dove to the ground and the ball popped out...really rather surreal. Where did QJ go to school?)

AzianSooner
10/12/2008, 10:02 PM
I truly DON"T WISH any luck to your team Mr Lid. In fact, I wish your team gonna loose 2 times to the end of this year. Sorry, I am a very selfish dude.

The Maestro
10/12/2008, 10:05 PM
Lid earned this moment and has taken it graciously.

The horns deserve props. Not BS like "the refs screwed us" and "why can't we run the ball".

That said, welcome back to the upper echelon, horns. Guess what happens to those teams a lot these days?

Good luck against booger boy...

rainiersooner
10/12/2008, 10:08 PM
I miss the old days when I hated Mack Brown, the Texas QB, and all their fans. Nice post Lid - best of luck the rest of the year (other than the two games I hope you lose).

salth2o
10/12/2008, 10:11 PM
Colt is a class act!

For three quarters it was a great game. For one quarter ya'll took us to the woodshed.

I liked the "new" Cotton Bowl seating the 92000+. My Old Man is a bit of a traditionalist and was not impressed. He kept saying he felt too closed in. However, he is from town of 2000 people and lives on a 35 acre farm.

As bad as I hate the loss...the Horns were the better team on Saturday.

sooner59
10/12/2008, 10:50 PM
I will agree that whorn fans were probably kinda surprised and just happy about the win. Good for them. Not good for us. But there were only a few people who were obnoxious after the game. I counted about 5 maybe and 4 of them didn't speak english, so thats not too bad. I commend the texas fans for their restraint and sportsmanship after the game. There were a few of them who were really nice to us. As much as I hate to say it, some of their fans are respectable. Too bad the redneck hillbillies on I-35 contradict them.

badger
10/12/2008, 10:53 PM
Good luck to this very,very good Sooner team the rest of the year.

To quote Ah-nold in True Lies...

:les:STOP TRYING TO CHEER ME UP![hairGel]

Anyway, don't you have some all-male resort or cruise ship far, far away from the Internet you're supposed to be on? You know... far, far away from SoonerFans.com?

Yes... you. On vacation. For the next two months. Starting yesterday, finishing never :D

mojorisen2014
10/12/2008, 10:56 PM
I saw a couple of a-holes before the game but afterwards I didnt see them acting like a$$hats and I was very surprised by the way.

Blues1
10/12/2008, 11:03 PM
I GO BACK Fifty Seven Years --- I can still remember the 1955 OU vs Texas RR War in the Cotton Bowl -***OU 20 Texas 0. *** A 11 and 0 Season for the 1955 Sooners -- Yes this game was a Great classic, But right now - I would rather remember 1955 ----- :)
Yep Still Rockin'
www.Bluescowboy.com

sooner59
10/12/2008, 11:16 PM
We are glad to have you on here Blues1! Keep posting....I look forward to seeing as many OU games as you.

GrapevineSooner
10/12/2008, 11:23 PM
Dammit Lid, stop it; you will give horn fans a good name. :) Very classy post from a pretty good guy for a :texan:

Even my very good friend who is a Horn didn't have it in him to gloat too much about the win. All he could talk about was how great the game was and how great the two QB's were.

Props to Lid for being classy as always.

Penguin
10/12/2008, 11:24 PM
That was definitely one of the most exciting games I've seen in a while.

Of course, I have no desire to watch it again. ;)

VA Sooner
10/13/2008, 07:36 AM
It was a good game. I took it graciously as Mack gave his appreciation and Colt was interviewed on College Game Day/ESPN.

You've got a classy coach, classy QB, and you're not so bad yourself. Good luck against Mizzou, Lid.

htownsooner7
10/13/2008, 10:15 AM
We just don't have much to complain about. We had the lead 5 different times. Our All-American QB threw 5 tds. And our defense still gave up 8 different UT scores. We got beat, pure and simple.

A-M
10/13/2008, 10:41 AM
You won, we lost. What more can be said?

SOONERxWife73
10/13/2008, 10:45 AM
the world is ending. sooners and whorns being nice and respectful to one another?

ocsooner
10/13/2008, 10:52 AM
Why is it that every time there is a "Game for the Ages" or "Instant Classic" it seems to be one that OU lost?

Crimson Kid
10/13/2008, 10:53 AM
the world is ending. sooners and whorns being nice and respectful to one another?

The way it should be, yes i hate their team as much as the next sooner does, but that doesn't mean we have to be mean to them.

Jason White's Third Knee
10/13/2008, 10:53 AM

Even on the field. Very respectful. Killer game, damnit.

Landthief 1972
10/13/2008, 12:56 PM
Lid obviously didn't see the whorn fans I did. From the idiot running in front of the upper deck flashing hookem until the cop carried him off, to all the doucebag "fans" that waited around in the parking lot until the game ended before they put on their Texass shirt so they could walk into the fair and talk ****, to the jackasses who were literally blocking the road in the parking lot every time an OU fan came through so they could scream obscenities and smack the the side of the car, I can't say I was impressed.

A Horn
10/13/2008, 12:58 PM
One of the best games I have ever seen. Oklahoma was every bit as impressive as I had been told they were.

A Horn
10/13/2008, 01:01 PM
Lid obviously didn't see the whorn fans I did. From the idiot running in front of the upper deck flashing hookem until the cop carried him off, to all the doucebag "fans" that waited around in the parking lot until the game ended before they put on their Texass shirt so they could walk into the fair and talk ****, to the jackasses who were literally blocking the road in the parking lot every time an OU fan came through so they could scream obscenities and smack the the side of the car, I can't say I was impressed.

I'm sorry to hear this :(

My experience had been completely the opposite. Unusual tranquility from the fans...

Yalls fanbase is polite and one of the most in tune with football I have ever run into. Everyone's got some A-Holes rooting for them, I hope our fanbase overall represented.

tbl
10/13/2008, 01:03 PM
Good luck against Mizzou, Lid.

and by "good luck", we mean "we hope you lose, then drop one more while we win out". :D

Soonermagik
10/13/2008, 04:05 PM
I thought it was a great game too. I was impressed by both sides, and either team could still go on to win it all.

The Refs sucked, but I never blamed UT for that.

Both teams have a lot of tough games left, so we will see what happens. What makes the RRR the best game in college football is that both teams are always talented, unlike Ohio State vs Michigan.

lloyd45
10/13/2008, 04:07 PM
It was an epic game between to world class teams.

lloyd45
10/13/2008, 04:13 PM

In no way am I saying this is right, because its not. It's embarrassing, but don't be naive enough to think that some OU fans wouldn't have done the same.

TexasLidig8r
10/13/2008, 04:31 PM
ok ok.. I do have a confession to make.. a bit of pre-game obnoxiousness...

So, I'm in line at a men's restroom pregame and before going into the Cotton Bowl..

There's a sooner standing next to me... older guy... a bit loud.. long grey beard... red and white striped dungaree things on.. the sooner schooner on his head... big ole sunglasses... yacking on the cell phone.. he tells the person on the phone, "Listen to this..." then yells out.. ."BOOMER".. gets the response, "SOONER"... then.. "TEXAS" and gets the response, "Sucks" from his fellow sooners in the room....

I look at him.. he looks at me.. smiles.. I return the smile and in a very polite voice state, "Well.. nobody told me the circus was in town."

He looks at me with a blank look for just a second.. then busts out laughing along with the rest of the crowd.

ah.. good times....

sooner518
10/13/2008, 04:35 PM
ok ok.. I do have a confession to make.. a bit of pre-game obnoxiousness...

So, I'm in line at a men's restroom pregame and before going into the Cotton Bowl..

There's a sooner standing next to me... older guy... a bit loud.. long grey beard... red and white striped dungaree things on.. the sooner schooner on his head... big ole sunglasses... yacking on the cell phone.. he tells the person on the phone, "Listen to this..." then yells out.. ."BOOMER".. gets the response, "SOONER"... then.. "TEXAS" and gets the response, "Sucks" from his fellow sooners in the room....

I look at him.. he looks at me.. smiles.. I return the smile and in a very polite voice state, "Well.. nobody told me the circus was in town."

He looks at me with a blank look for just a second.. then busts out laughing along with the rest of the crowd.

ah.. good times....

did you ask him where he got his Boomer Sooner ringtone???????