View Full Version : The Path To The National Championship Game

CK Sooner
10/12/2008, 02:47 PM
These Are The Potential Losses For The Teams Above Us In The Polls

Texas - Mizzou, Oklahoma State, at Texas Tech, at Kansas

Alabama - Ole Miss, at Tennessee, at LSU, Mississipi State, Auburn

Penn State - Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State

Florida - Kentucky, Georgia, at Vanderbilt, at Florida State

All these team SHOULD lose at least one game.

Penn State has the easiest path the the NC game, but everyone else should lost and we should jump them.

If we win out, we will be in the NC game.

Half a Hundred
10/12/2008, 02:50 PM
Path to the Nat'l Championship: Just Win Baby.

CK Sooner
10/12/2008, 02:54 PM
Path to the Nat'l Championship: Just Win Baby.

Yep.

:D

bcgvh
10/12/2008, 02:54 PM
You forgot that Penn State has to go play Ohio State AT OSU!

CK Sooner
10/12/2008, 02:56 PM
You forgot that Penn State has to go play Ohio State AT OSU!

I searched for their schedule and every game showed up besides that one, weird.

I like our chances very much if we win out.

Curly Bill
10/12/2008, 02:58 PM
I searched for their schedule and every game showed up besides that one, weird.

I like our chances very much if we win out.

Unfortunately I don't like our chances of winning out. :P

Call me the party pooper. :O

okiewaker
10/12/2008, 02:59 PM
I think PSU could lose to Michigan St?

bcgvh
10/12/2008, 03:04 PM
I think PSU will lose at OSU.

CK Sooner
10/12/2008, 03:04 PM
I think PSU could lose to Michigan St?

Yep, I would like Michigan State in that game.

They don't have a very good chance against Ohio State either.

CK Sooner
10/12/2008, 03:05 PM
Unfortunately I don't like our chances of winning out. :P

Call me the party pooper. :O

:texan:

StormySooner-IN
10/12/2008, 03:18 PM
I have a hard time thinking Ohio State could be Penn State.

They couldn't get in the endzone and hardly even move the ball against Purdue yesterday, at home.

okiewaker
10/12/2008, 03:21 PM
Texas will lose to Mizz
Bama will lose at LSU
PSU will lose to MS
Fla will lose at Vandi (wishfull thiking).

East Coast Bias
10/12/2008, 03:21 PM
Penn State handles OSU-Mich and Mich St. with ease..

SoonerMX
10/12/2008, 04:13 PM
Is it possible for OU to go to the MNC without being in the big 12 championship game?

mdklatt
10/12/2008, 04:40 PM
Penn State handles OSU-Mich and Mich St. with ease..

OSU is Penn State's albatross--haven't beaten them once since Penn State joined the Big 10++. OSU always plays just well enough to win (unless they're going blown out on national TV). However, PSU will destroy Michigan and they should handle Michigan State.

mdklatt
10/12/2008, 04:42 PM
These Are The Potential Losses For The Teams Above Us In The Polls

Texas - Mizzou, Oklahoma State, at Texas Tech, at Kansas

Alabama - Ole Miss, at Tennessee, at LSU, Mississipi State, Auburn

Penn State - Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State

Florida - Kentucky, Georgia, at Vanderbilt, at Florida State

All these team SHOULD lose at least one game.

What about USC? They have the easiest path to finishing with one loss. I will break something if they jump us in the polls this week, but I'm not ruling it out.

mdklatt
10/12/2008, 04:45 PM
Is it possible for OU to go to the MNC without being in the big 12 championship game?

Technically yes, realistically no.

SoonerJack
10/12/2008, 04:47 PM
Texas will lose to Mizz
Bama will lose at LSU
PSU will lose to MS
Fla will lose at Vandi (wishfull thiking).

I don't think Texas will lose to Mizzou.

Not sure about the others.

okiewaker
10/12/2008, 04:55 PM
I don't think Texas will lose to Mizzou.

Not sure about the others.

ah, your prolly right, but go Tigers!

PalmBeachSooner
10/12/2008, 05:18 PM
It's going to be tough, maybe impossible. I'm not sure who can challenge Alabama at this point until the SEC championship game. If it's Florida and they beat Alabama then Florida is most likely in the MNC if PSU has a loss. I think the best case scenario is for Georgia to win the east and defeat Alabama in the SEC championship game. I don't think in that scenario that Georgia could sneak into the MNC, without a lot of help.

It sucks that the winner of the Big 10 is given a free pass. The Big 10 is on par with the Pac 10 and whoever wins those conferences is seen as world beaters. Penn State's only challenge will be tOSU and maybe MSU. There's no way we jump them without them losing.

Having said that, if OU doesn't find a way to run the ball, it won't matter.

KC//CRIMSON
10/12/2008, 05:36 PM
Regardless of yesterday's outcome, OU has a tough road ahead. Kstate, Tech, Aggy, and whoever they play in the CCG (assuming they make it) will be throwing the kitchen sink at them.

Going to be very difficult to finish at 11-1

IronHorseSooner
10/12/2008, 05:39 PM
UTerus has, what could be, 4 shootout type games. In all 4, the opposing teams have better special teams than we do (TTECH, OSU, KU, and Mizzou). That should make a huge difference. All 4 teams have something that we have not shown in big games, offensive innovation. OSU and MIzzou are the better teams, and they are in A$$-town. TTECH and KU are the lesser of the two, and are at home. It is the perfect combo. texass, welcome to #1, you won't last as long as UGA, SUC, or us!...BTW, I call Mizzou 35, UTerus 28. Head pantie and Maclin go nuts on the UTerus secondary. They will make just enough stops to topple the whorns.

Sooner98
10/12/2008, 05:42 PM

I think the best chance for this to happen would be for OU and Texas both to win out, and finish the polls at 1-2, assuming just about everyone else loses at least one game. Of course the ideal situation would be for Texas to lose twice, so we could get the Big 12 Championship on our resume, but I just can't see that happening right now.

HappyClappyMackBrown
10/12/2008, 11:07 PM
With Bobby Stoops at the helm of Chokelahoma, the title of this thread should be "path to the Alamo Bowl"

JLEW1818
10/12/2008, 11:14 PM

2001 Nebraska

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/13/2008, 01:00 AM
Never rule out SUC!

JLEW1818
10/13/2008, 01:18 AM
I cant stop thinking about it.

I guess I need to let it breathe. Just got to win each week, and have others lose.... Even if Texas only has one loss and then they lose in the big 12 championship, we can get in. But Missouri will have to lose another game this year, then beat Texas in the big 12 ship.

**** my life

birddog
10/13/2008, 01:44 AM
They will make just enough stops to topple the whorns.

we have a better defense than mizzou and texass scored on 7 of their last 8 possessions against us. i don't know if mizzou can get a stop, much less enough to keep them from hanging 60 on em.

in austin i think the whorns win 49-31.

birddog
10/13/2008, 01:45 AM
I cant stop thinking about it.

I guess I need to let it breathe. Just got to win each week, and have others lose.... Even if Texas only has one loss and then they lose in the big 12 championship, we can get in. But Missouri will have to lose another game this year, then beat Texas in the big 12 ship.

**** my life

oh come on take it easy. we lose every year. you shouldn't be too surprised.

:pop:

JLEW1818
10/13/2008, 01:46 AM
I think the horns score under 40. Which means Chase Daniel will win.

JLEW1818
10/13/2008, 01:47 AM
oh come on take it easy. we lose every year. you shouldn't be too surprised.

:pop:

do you still like our chances, honestly?

birddog
10/13/2008, 08:04 AM
do you still like our chances, honestly?

to win it all? no. but it's very unlikely that somebody goes unbeaten so we'll be right there at the end.

my concern is that we still have a lot of business to take care of and i'm not confident we can do that. if we are going to get destroyed in a bcs game it might be better to go to a smaller bowl and have a chance. :O

just speaking based on history. this team is "different".

NOVSooner
10/13/2008, 08:45 AM
my question is regarding the polls, lets say mizzou wins against texas this week, where will they be ranked? it would give all of us 1 loss, texas beat us so it wouldn't "look" right having us ahead of them in the polls although they would lose to an opponent ranked out of the top 10. where would we be, same spot or behind texas should they lose this week?

birddog
10/13/2008, 09:03 AM
my question is regarding the polls, lets say mizzou wins against texas this week, where will they be ranked? it would give all of us 1 loss, texas beat us so it wouldn't "look" right having us ahead of them in the polls although they would lose to an opponent ranked out of the top 10. where would we be, same spot or behind texas should they lose this week?

even the people voting won'y know what to do. could be bama 1, byu 2:rolleyes: then whatever after that.

OUmillenium
10/13/2008, 09:06 AM
I will be happy with a Big 12 champ and a Fiesta Bowl trophy at this point.

A-M
10/13/2008, 09:33 AM
I will be happy with a Big 12 champ and a Fiesta Bowl trophy at this point.

We have to iimprove in a lot of areas before this will happen. I'm not sure that we can do make the improvments and then a lot of teams have to lose more then one game. Stranger things have happened, but we will just have to wait and see what happens each week. Hope it does, but I'm not going to book my plane ticket now.;)

PhiDeltBeers
10/13/2008, 09:33 AM

Depends on what we do to Kansas.

ousooners182
10/13/2008, 09:49 AM
who cares..to much focus on the polls early.

im just glad our last 2 games are tech and osu.

that will be a good late season push :)

and i can easily see michigan state beating penn state..they will prob fly in under radar and hopefully javon ringer has the game of his life.

and sec will beat each other up..then we are right there..

and people who keep on saying usc..yeah they are ahead of us in the coaches right now..but that means nothing

we still have a way harder schedule left and if we beat tech and osu we would pass them even if we didnt make it to the big 12 championship.

but i think we have a chance to make it to the big 12..i think mizzou has a great chance this week..they will be pissed...texas will be gloating..chase booger doesnt want "chasetheheisman.com" to shut down so will play his heart out for publicity and his name being back in the race...then they still have to play ..oklahoma state (a team who always ALMOST beats texas maybe they can change that) Texas Tech who will throw 65+ times and not even try to run like we on every 1 and 10. and also Kansas on the road..Big 12 is strong this year I easily see them losing 2.

So i really think if we win out we will be in there. Consider last year..a lot more crazy stuff had to happen for us to be able to control our destiny but eventually it happened and we blew it. So im pretty sure that it will be able to happen again...college football is to competitive now..whether its the scholarship distribution or just coaching, undefeated seasons are becoming a rarity and i guarantee it doesnt happen this year. So basically...

if we win out we will be in.

question is can we do it.

Lets go austin box make a name for yourself