PDA

View Full Version : OU / Texas BCS Championship game

8timechamps
10/12/2008, 12:59 PM
Not unlikely!

IF Texas holds on to the #1 spot, and wins the Big XII CCG.

Penn St. and Bama would need to go down, and we would need to win out.

I know that's a lot of "ifs", but very possible.

The Maestro
10/12/2008, 01:10 PM
I started thinking about it late last night. I would enjoy that, especially since we have already lost to them. The media would be on the horns jock and all the pressure on them to back it up.

But...Stillwater. Very hard imagining our defense winning there.

josh09
10/12/2008, 01:28 PM
For this to happen, yes penn st and alabama would have to lose, and probably in a late-in-the-season game. But i think whoever wins the SEC would probably jump us to get into the NC game. Unless everyone in the SEC starts beating each other, then i think we have the chance for a rematch.

iwannabelikesam
10/12/2008, 03:40 PM
I remember in the the past it was talked about changing the rules so a team couldn't go to the NC if they didn't win their conference. Though, I am pretty sure this rule never actually passed...

mrjeffmaxwell
10/12/2008, 03:46 PM
Considering that Oklahoma only dropped to number four this early, and we still have plenty of quality games ahead of us, as does Texas, then yeah, I think it is very possible.

Biggest factor being that the Big 12 has everyone on its nuts this year. I even think the media would favor such a match up, after yesterdays game.

StormySooner-IN
10/12/2008, 03:50 PM
Us rematching Whorn could be the single greatest thing evar.

Of course...if we can get by Kansas, Tech, and oSu (very questionable)

tooslow
10/12/2008, 04:16 PM
Considering that Oklahoma only dropped to number four this early, and we still have plenty of quality games ahead of us, as does Texas, then yeah, I think it is very possible.

Actually we dropped to 6th in the poll that counts in the BCS formula. The AP no longer participates. Still a very good spot to be in. The only problem is I think we'll lose one more game unless Wilson comes up with running plays that will produce more than 1-3 yards. The defense will also have to play much better. Seems like the last several years we have been lit up in a majority of our big games, but not all. :(

Texas will not run the table. Can anyone see a BCS team going undefeated this year? I can't.

PLaw
10/12/2008, 04:22 PM
Not unlikely!

IF Texas holds on to the #1 spot, and wins the Big XII CCG.

Penn St. and Bama would need to go down, and we would need to win out.

I know that's a lot of "ifs", but very possible.

Uhhh, dream on!

After we got smacked by KSU in the Big XII championship, the unwritten rule by most pollsters is you need to win your conference. It's probably what kept UGA out of the championship game last year.

If (and that's a big, big if) texass and OU win out, then expect the Whorns to play the SEC, Big 10, or Pac-10 champ regardless of their record and right now, my money would be on SUC getting there despite losing to an unranked team.

BOOMER

iwannabelikesam
10/12/2008, 05:19 PM
Uhhh, dream on!

After we got smacked by KSU in the Big XII championship, the unwritten rule by most pollsters is you need to win your conference. It's probably what kept UGA out of the championship game last year.

If (and that's a big, big if) texass and OU win out, then expect the Whorns to play the SEC, Big 10, or Pac-10 champ regardless of their record and right now, my money would be on SUC getting there despite losing to an unranked team.

BOOMER

Yes, there are a TON of ifs. But you use the example of Georgia last year, well what if OU has one loss, UT has no losses and everyone else has two losses (or one loss which was a very bad loss)

DallasSooner87
10/12/2008, 05:38 PM
I am pretty much just repeating what has just been said but meh. For this to happen everyone ahead of us would have to lose, SUC would need another loss and all SEC teams would need at least two, to lessen the blow of the, but you didn't win your conference argument, and we do kind of have to win out. (Stupid OSU looking for real this year and the game being in stillwater):eek:

Big Red Ron
10/12/2008, 06:11 PM
We actually get the easier route. They have to play the CCG, we don't and if we get to #2, it wont matter who wins it.

Big Red Ron
10/12/2008, 06:14 PM
They lose the CCG and we're ranked #2 (likely if we win out) it won't matter who wins the CCG we either play texass or somebody else. We just have to win out.

Us dropping to only 4 with shaky #2 & #3 ahead of us, we just need to win.

ousooners182
10/12/2008, 07:28 PM
well as long as we win out..all i know is we need to win out take care of business then see what happens..if there is a one loss team from the sec that wins the championship like florida then im sure they would jump us if we didnt even have to play in the big 12 championship..so if its gonna be ou texas we would need ohio state to beat penn state and the sec champ to have 2 losses...which is very possible. Thing is with all the tough schedules everyone plays more than likely if we win out we will be in.

but question is how do we start to get some stops..we cant do this whole outscore the other team we need to play some d.

ousooners182
10/12/2008, 07:35 PM
I am pretty much just repeating what has just been said but meh. For this to happen everyone ahead of us would have to lose, SUC would need another loss and all SEC teams would need at least two, to lessen the blow of the, but you didn't win your conference argument, and we do kind of have to win out. (Stupid OSU looking for real this year and the game being in stillwater):eek:

we would be ahead of usc if we both won out..i mean the media does love them..

but look at our remaining schedule...

they cant ignore that

noobalicious
10/12/2008, 08:01 PM
Teams ahead of us (per BCS projections) and their schedules:

1) UT
Mizzou, OSU, @TTech, Baylor, @Kansas, A&M

2) Bama
Miss, @Tenn, Arky State, @LSU, Miss St., Auburn

3) Penn State
Michigan, @tOSU, @Iowa, Indiana, Mich St.

4) USC
@Wazzu, @Arizona, Wash, Cal, @Stanford, ND, @UCLA

We are projected to be #5. I'm not sure that 3 of those teams will lose one of those games. If one of the three is Texas, we realistically need them to lose another game on top of that.

That being said...the whorns have 4 real tough games (Mizzou, OSU, TTech, and Kansas). Bama has the Iron Bowl and going into Death Valley. PSU has to go to the big house. and SUC does have Cal, @UCLA and @AZ.

USC is not good enough to get to the NC. They also have a worse loss than we do (to Texas on a neutral field or against Oregon State on the road? Hmm...tough one...:rolleyes: )

PSU is underrated. I don't see them losing again. I wish Bama was catching LSU this week when they were angry. Texas won't run the table, although they are a solid team.

I think PSU is a lock for the MNC. We need some major help.

Good news is, we are sitting pretty for an at large berth for a BCS bowl. I'm hoping the Rose Bowl if PSU gets to the MNC.

BOOMER!

ousooners182
10/12/2008, 08:11 PM
I dont know about that..i think osu could beat penn state..

i mean the big 10 just isnt anything..

penn state is good ..but im just not sold on national championship team.

so penn state lose..then either texas lose twice which i think is very possible..mizzou maybe? then they cant win in lubbock..okie state..kansas..

then our strength of schedule would put us ahead of usc...

so then we just stand with the sec champ unless sec champ has 2 losses then usc...or penn state if they do happen to go undefeated

ousooners182
10/12/2008, 08:12 PM
ill tell u this..we needed alot more help last year and we are sitting alot better than we were last year...and look what happened then..we eventually were able to control our destiny again ...but then we lost to tech after arizona beat oregon :/

just win!

sooneron
10/12/2008, 08:27 PM
Face it, we need texas to lose. I don't see the voters putting us in Miami for the 2nd game there. PSu will lose to someone. Bama will lose to someone, and then they have the CCG. We have to win out and pray that texas loses to mizz, or tech or osu. They could lose to tech and osu. Their DL is too good for mizz.

StoopTroup
10/12/2008, 08:29 PM
I still haven't seen our offense struggle like I did last year...

I agree that our run game isn't stellar but our receivers are getting better every game IMO.

Defense needs to step up in big games.

Position Limit
10/12/2008, 08:44 PM
for this to occur, the impossible would have to happen. OU would actually have to play defense for the rest of the year. with ostate, and tech coming up, i would concern myself with other pipe dreams. or just get our hopes up for another embarrassment in a bcs game. i think i'll concentrate on hoping to beat a scrappy ranked team in kansas that just beat colorado on the road. something this team failed to do last year (that kept us out of the champ game). i cant believe after what took place yesterday there is actually a post about backdooring our way into the bsc championship game. sounds like texas fans. things have come full circle in soonerland. mach outcoaches stoops and sooner fans act like texas fans.

ousooners182
10/12/2008, 08:49 PM
for this to occur, the impossible would have to happen. OU would actually have to play defense for the rest of the year. with ostate, and tech coming up, i would concern myself with other pipe dreams. or just get our hopes up for another embarrassment in a bcs game. i think i'll concentrate on hoping to beat a scrappy ranked team in kansas that just beat colorado on the road. something this team failed to do last year (that kept us out of the champ game). i cant believe after what took place yesterday there is actually a post about backdooring our way into the bsc championship game. sounds like texas fans. things have come full circle in soonerland. mach outcoaches stoops and sooner fans act like texas fans.

actually i would say we lost to a hell of a team and didnt play a game that well at all and they played a hell of a game. That was one of the worst defensive performances ive seen in awhile and we still had plenty of chances to win..I dont see how "backdooring" in the BCS Champ game is such an absurd thing to do...say we had covered the kick off or got another stop here or there and we win everyone on here is talking about how much of a lock we are...so i dont really think its to big of a stretch

Widescreen
10/12/2008, 08:52 PM
I'm all for speculating. However, I think it's pretty clear after yesterday that our defense isn't championship level and our special teams certainly aren't. Still, anything can happen and I don't think there are any truly dominant teams this year.

UTgolfer
10/12/2008, 08:57 PM
actually i would say we lost to a hell of a team and didnt play a game that well at all and they played a hell of a game. That was one of the worst defensive performances ive seen in awhile and we still had plenty of chances to win..I dont see how "backdooring" in the BCS Champ game is such an absurd thing to do...say we had covered the kick off or got another stop here or there and we win everyone on here is talking about how much of a lock we are...so i dont really think its to big of a stretch

OU may be good enough...but the voters will not give you a chance unless there are a number of 2 loss teams. Voters are in love with SUC and the SEC and they will ask how a team that didn't play in its conference title game much less win its own division play for the NC. Familiar with that arguement as it was against UT earlier this decade.

DallasSooner87
10/12/2008, 08:59 PM
Just to point something out. I keep reading OU is number 4 over and over. They are number 4 in the AP poll, the one that doesn't matter in the BCS rankings.

ousooners182
10/12/2008, 09:01 PM
yeah coaches matters but still if we win out we would jump usc in the polls with strength of schedule..and if penn state loses and texas twice or a 2 loss sec team wins..we will be fine !

main thing is just take care of defense and take it one week at a time

UTgolfer
10/12/2008, 09:02 PM
Just to point something out. I keep reading OU is number 4 over and over. They are number 4 in the AP poll, the one that doesn't matter in the BCS rankings.

Valid point...but if I recall the Harris Interactive poll has closely mirrored the AP poll and it counts for 50% of the human element. Anyone seen it?

SoonerEmpire
10/12/2008, 09:03 PM

We're also #4 in the Harris poll, and I believe the Harris poll is counted toward the BCS also.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/poll?poll=Harris

sooneron
10/12/2008, 09:05 PM
We're #6 in the coach's.

noobalicious
10/12/2008, 09:08 PM
BCS projections (current as of today):

http://www.tellshowbcs.com/bcsc.html

This site usually exactly reflects what the actual BCS scores are, so I use it when I'm anxious and need to see where we stand.

#5 in that respect...

ousooners182
10/12/2008, 09:09 PM
Yeah 4 in harris and 6 in coaches..the 2 polls that go into bcs

SoonerEmpire
So, to summarize, we are:

Coaches: #6
Harris: #4
Unofficial BCS poll: #5 (http://www.tellshowbcs.com/bcsc.html)

Even at #6, we're still in a good position IF we win out and the guys ahead of us (except Texas) drop at least one game a piece. Two would be better, but if everyone ahead of us loses at least one a piece, it at least gets the controversy and the discussion started nationally. And this year, that would be a good thing for us. We need all the help we can get this year. You know the saying, "even bad PR is good PR." If the national discussion ends up being whether we belong in the NC game or not once the end of the season approaches, then it gets people talking about US (good or bad) and may divert everyone's lovefest for the SEC and SUC. And that's a good thing.

UTgolfer
We're also #4 in the Harris poll, and I believe the Harris poll is counted toward the BCS also.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/poll?poll=Harris

Thanks

birddog
10/12/2008, 09:11 PM
We're #6 in the coach's.

soooo, you're tellin me there's a chance.

actually that's a good spot to be in with half a season left but, like others have said, i don't believe our defense is solid enough to win out.

also, if we did get in a bcs bowl, what would our defense do then? imagine if we gave up 55, 48, or 43 in a bcs game again.:eek:

sooneron
10/12/2008, 09:14 PM
Is there any way we could get to the cotton? sec offenses don't skeer me too much these days. :D

8timechamps
10/12/2008, 09:16 PM
I know it's a reach, but, a possibility.

It's hard to figure out too far ahead.

CFB has become so crazy...don't the powers-that-be see what a goldmine a D1 playoff system would be?!

On a good note, if we get an at-large BCS bid...IT WOULDN'T BE THE FIEST BOWL!!!! YEAAAA!!

SoonerEmpire
10/12/2008, 09:20 PM
On a good note, if we get an at-large BCS bid...IT WOULDN'T BE THE FIEST BOWL!!!! YEAAAA!!

If that turns out to be the case, it will be a beautiful thing not to have to play in the Fiesta. I think someone here rightly pointed out shortly after last years Superbowl that Glendale, AZ is the place where good teams go to die.

sooneron
10/12/2008, 09:31 PM
The team that no one is talking about here is [ugh] osu. They could lose a game and finish ahead of us. We need to improve drastically if we want to beat them in stoolwater. They could beat ut, tech and us. I doubt they'll run it, but they could finish with one div loss. That team's confidence is sky high right now.

UTgolfer
10/12/2008, 09:35 PM
The team that no one is talking about here is [ugh] osu. They could lose a game and finish ahead of us. We need to improve drastically if we want to beat them in stoolwater. They could beat ut, tech and us. I doubt they'll run it, but they could finish with one div loss. That team's confidence is sky high right now.

Have to include Florida in that group. Guys on ESPN College Live seem to think that they will have a say at the end of the season.

The Maestro
10/12/2008, 10:15 PM
If defense wins championships, I want no part of the title game...unless we get there and score 50!!!

Hell, the whorns won a title v. USC and got rode hard all night...

Big Red Ron
10/12/2008, 10:17 PM
We beat TTech and Okie State (both top 10) and Kansas (top 15) there is a very good chance we'll be playing in the BCS Championship game. Against. Texass.

Big Red Ron
10/12/2008, 10:20 PM
We really just need Bama and Pen State to lose, while we win out and we're in the BCS without playing the CCG.

mojorisen2014
10/12/2008, 10:27 PM
If Penn State and Bama lose and Florida wins out and that is including the SEC championship game, they will get the nod over OU.

The Maestro
10/12/2008, 10:32 PM
If Penn State and Bama lose and Florida wins out and that is including the SEC championship game, they will get the nod over OU.

Bull****, noob. A loss at home to Ole Miss does not equal a loss to the whorns in Dallas.

Besides...it is the current state of college football. Hell, 3 of the top 5 might lose next week!

JLEW1818
10/12/2008, 10:52 PM
Texas is known to lose games at home, unlike us.

I see Missouri throwing the ball 95% of the time, unlike us. I honestly think that they Beat Texas. Texas still has to go to Lubbock, this is Techs best team, I think they could lose to them too. Take a look back to 2002 when Tech got them in Lubbock, this is by far Techs best team in this decade. They also got Oklahoma State, they always play Texas good, and this is Oklahoma States best team of the decade. Then the game everybody forgets about is when Texas goes to Kansas to play.

So in a nutshell according to "ESPN" people, we can conclude that Texas has To play Missouri's best ever team this decade, Texas Techs best team ever this decade, and Oklahoma States best team ever this decade. They also have to play a ranked Kansas team on the road. Two losses is very possible for Texas. I understand we play the same teams, except for Missouri. I like our chances to win out obviously or I wouldn't watch the rest of the season.

So in the end, I'm going to say it one more time

Oklahoma vs. USC in that National Title game.

We just have to wait, hope, and be patient most of all.

DallasSooner87
10/12/2008, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the Harris poll info everyone. Now lets get that running game going for Kansas because a shootout with them could prove to be dangerous. :pop:

Okie35
10/12/2008, 11:10 PM
you know they would NEVER let this happen... they would somehow find a way to make texas(if they were number 1) and the number 3 team go to the bcs game ... bcs is all about money... and they would also want ratings...

Okie35
10/12/2008, 11:13 PM
Texas is known to lose games at home, unlike us.

I see Missouri throwing the ball 95% of the time, unlike us. I honestly think that they Beat Texas. Texas still has to go to Lubbock, this is Techs best team, I think they could lose to them too. Take a look back to 2002 when Tech got them in Lubbock, this is by far Techs best team in this decade. They also got Oklahoma State, they always play Texas good, and this is Oklahoma States best team of the decade. Then the game everybody forgets about is when Texas goes to Kansas to play.

So in a nutshell according to "ESPN" people, we can conclude that Texas has To play Missouri's best ever team this decade, Texas Techs best team ever this decade, and Oklahoma States best team ever this decade. They also have to play a ranked Kansas team on the road. Two losses is very possible for Texas. I understand we play the same teams, except for Missouri. I like our chances to win out obviously or I wouldn't watch the rest of the season.

So in the end, I'm going to say it one more time

Oklahoma vs. USC in that National Title game.

We just have to wait, hope, and be patient most of all.

i think texas will lose twice ... pick any 2 ... mizzou... ok state... @ tech or @ ku... and i dont think it will be usc vs. ou in the title i think if psu beats ohio state they will definitely be in the bcs title... so im going w/

oklahoma vs. penn state... i think ppl are forgetting that ou is ranked 4th and there is still more than half of the season left... if they take it one game at a time (cliche' i know) they can win out...

mojorisen2014
10/12/2008, 11:15 PM
Bull****, noob. A loss at home to Ole Miss does not equal a loss to the whorns in Dallas.

Besides...it is the current state of college football. Hell, 3 of the top 5 might lose next week!

Feeling a little hostile? Just because I dont make frequent posts on here just makes me automatic dumba$$ and a "noob". Your crazy if you dont think that if Florida wins out and winning the SEC title game that they wont jump us. And the main reason is because the SEC love fest, we are talking about the toughest conference all of time. And I hope your right.

JLEW1818
10/12/2008, 11:17 PM
I don't see Penn State winning out, I just don't. It is so hard to have a perfect regular season, look at Missouri this year for example, who saw that coming? Penn State will lose a game, it's just how college football works.

If I had to bet my life on which 2 teams Texas will lose to it would be

Missouri
@Tech

JLEW1818
10/12/2008, 11:19 PM
What if Texas lost to freaking Baylor some how and won the rest of their games? They would drop to like 12th. ha but still get in ahead of us.

mojorisen2014
10/12/2008, 11:27 PM
you definately have to get the right bounce to go undefeated

mojorisen2014
10/12/2008, 11:30 PM
I don't see Penn State winning out, I just don't. It is so hard to have a perfect regular season, look at Missouri this year for example, who saw that coming? Penn State will lose a game, it's just how college football works.

If I had to bet my life on which 2 teams Texas will lose to it would be

Missouri
@Tech

It would be funny if Michigan could beat Penn St. this weekend just because the season Michigan is having but Ohio St will probably beat the Lions.

insuranceman_22
10/12/2008, 11:34 PM
Right now I see Penn State vs either Bama or Florida.
Doubt anyone in the Big tenelven beats Penn. If either Florida wins out, they'll jump us. I know we've got TT, Pokes & Kansas left and they're all ranked, but I don't know where they'll be ranked when we face them. Obviously if Bama wins out, they're in.

Got my fingers crossed & we're sitting in a good position, but we can't control it now. We have to take care of business the rest of the way & hope some teams lose.

JLEW1818
10/12/2008, 11:38 PM
No team in a BCS conference will have an undefeated regular season.

Big Red Ron
10/13/2008, 12:09 AM
If we win out Florida will not "jump us." Bama loses to Auburn or at LSU or at Tenn. Heck they could lose at home. They're loaded with Fresh & Soph. They almost lost to UK at home.

Penn loses to @ Ohio State mark it down. Those are the only teams we need to lose to get back to #2. No CCG to play, we play the winner of the Big XII ccg winner or SEC CCG winner, if we win out.

SOONER STEAKER
10/13/2008, 08:46 AM
I do see this scenario happenig where we play TU once again this season. However, I don't see it in a NC game. Without Ryan Reynolds I think we will see another "L" in the W/L column and I see the whorns losing to Mizzou 1 of the 2 times they will play this season. That would knockl the whorns out of the NC game and I don't think the pollsters will allow a OU/TU NC game.

Honestly, I don't want to play the whorns again this yea

ousooners182
10/13/2008, 09:31 AM
actually i think the pollsters wouldnt mind putting ou and texas in..

did we watch the same game on saturday.

one of the best games of the season

ousooners182
10/13/2008, 09:31 AM
and nebraska in 01 made it to the nat'l championship without playing in the big 12 championship

noobalicious
10/13/2008, 09:33 AM
Who will Penn State lose to? Ohio State is overrated. Granted the game is in the big house, but that's the only game I potentially see them losing. It's not set in stone.

Alabama has a couple of trap games left (the seemingly woeful Auburn Tigers in the Iron Bowl is one example), plus they have to go to LSU. Always tough.

I see Texas losing at least one. I wouldn't bet on two. They are a good team. That being said...I think they might beat Mizzou next week, but more likely lose to TTech and KU on the road.

That being said...all we can do is take care of business. Most of our remaining tough games are at home. Bedlam is the only intimidating road game. If we can win out...we will almost assuredly be the pick for an at large berth in a BCS game at the very least. Texas could either help us out to win the Big 12, but whether that happens or not, I don't see us falling far from 4 if we win out. Therefore, we'll be the more attractive pick than whoever loses the Big 12 CCG and likely get slotted in whichever BCS bowl loses the #1 team to the NCG. This would probably be the Fiesta (if Texas wins out), or the Rose Bowl (if Penn St. wins out and gets help).

Bottom line...we can still have an awesome bowl game, but first we just need to win. KU isn't a pushover either...

A-M
10/13/2008, 09:40 AM
well as long as we win out..all i know is we need to win out take care of business then see what happens..if there is a one loss team from the sec that wins the championship like florida then im sure they would jump us if we didnt even have to play in the big 12 championship..so if its gonna be ou texas we would need ohio state to beat penn state and the sec champ to have 2 losses...which is very possible. Thing is with all the tough schedules everyone plays more than likely if we win out we will be in.

but question is how do we start to get some stops..we cant do this whole outscore the other team we need to play some d.

What he/she said.:D

ousooners182
10/13/2008, 09:42 AM
i think michigan state could upset penn state.

im not sold on any big 10 team. ever. ever.

8timechamps
10/13/2008, 11:37 AM
I suppose being in such a good conference this year will pay off. Either by beating up on some ranked teams, or NOT having to go to the Fiesta Bowl another year.

JLEW1818
10/13/2008, 11:41 AM
My little "theory" I posted a few weeks ago might stand corrected.

Oklahoma vs USC/ Texas

A Horn
10/13/2008, 11:42 AM
im not sold on any big 10 team. ever. ever.

Couldn't have said it better. They suck.

tooslow
10/18/2008, 02:48 AM
I still haven't seen our offense struggle like I did last year...

I do agree that our offense seems to be much better than last year, at least as far as putting points on the board goes. The problem is this offense struggled the only time it has mattered. The offense hasn't really done a whole lot in the 4th all year long. Sure, with a big lead there has been no need to pile up points on the weak teams. However, it's a little suspicious that they seem flat in the 4th no matter who they are playing. :mad: