PDA

View Full Version : Colt McCoy beat us!

8timechamps
10/12/2008, 12:42 PM
I've read all the posts about how bad our defense played, and how our kick coverage sucked and then there's the ever preset "we got screwed by the officials".

Wrong!

Colt McCoy beat us. I hate like hell to admit that. But he played awesome! There were many times that he put the ball into a near impossible spot, or that he felt pressure and tucked the ball and gained positive yards.

Sometimes, a player just hits the zone and goes off. He did.

Sure the kickoff return was big, but they won by 10. Even if we defend that, they still win.

Did we get hosed on some calls? Yup. But, I was almost embarassed by Knalls acting job on the running into the kicker call. Yeah, I know everybody does it. Still doesn't make it better.

I still think we are the more talented team. But we got put down Saturday, and if you take McCoy out of the game, they don't even come close.

Congrats Texas. For your sake, you'd better hope McCoy plays a near perfect game from here on out. He sure did against us.

GottaHavePride
10/12/2008, 01:32 PM
He was, indeed, having a great game.

However, there's no way in hell an OU defense should ever allow a team to have TWO 100-yard receivers in the same game.

okiewaker
10/12/2008, 01:36 PM
Echo, above!

Curly Bill
10/12/2008, 01:37 PM
We could have made it a little tougher on him by actually covering someone in the middle of the field. Hell, I can complete an 8 yard pass down the middle of the field.

TUSooner
10/12/2008, 01:53 PM
I've read all the posts about how bad our defense played, and how our kick coverage sucked and then there's the ever preset "we got screwed by the officials".

Wrong!

Colt McCoy beat us. I hate like hell to admit that. But he played awesome! There were many times that he put the ball into a near impossible spot, or that he felt pressure and tucked the ball and gained positive yards.

Sometimes, a player just hits the zone and goes off. He did.

Sure the kickoff return was big, but they won by 10. Even if we defend that, they still win.

Did we get hosed on some calls? Yup. But, I was almost embarassed by Knalls acting job on the running into the kicker call. Yeah, I know everybody does it. Still doesn't make it better.

I still think we are the more talented team. But we got put down Saturday, and if you take McCoy out of the game, they don't even come close.

Congrats Texas. For your sake, you'd better hope McCoy plays a near perfect game from here on out. He sure did against us.
That's just so ....

exactly right. The guy played a near-perfect game, and anytbody who doesn't acknowledge and respect that doesn't know anything about college football.

soonerinabilene
10/12/2008, 01:54 PM
He is the real deal, and after yesterday deserves to be at the top of the heisman list right now. Lot of football still left to be played though.

GrapevineSooner
10/12/2008, 02:07 PM
There were at least three plays yesterday that I counted where Colt either whipped the ball just under the arms of one of our defenders or lofted it just out of their reach.

In other words, he was awesome. If he was playing for us, he'd be garnering comparisons to Jason White both for his ability and his professional demeanor.

Sooner24
10/12/2008, 02:14 PM
Shipley beat us plain and simple.

swardboy
10/12/2008, 02:22 PM
Not just Shipley...the whole receiving corps held on to the ball. I was telling my wife "don't they ever drop a pass?!!!!"

nytehorn
10/12/2008, 02:30 PM
Heisman Watch.
You guys talk good about Colt, but damn; Bradford with 5 TD passes against a top defense? Awesome!! Yes, Colt led us to the win, but what voter can deny what Bradford did? Gonna be an interesting season!

St. Louis Sooner
10/12/2008, 02:31 PM
yes he did ... they (QB and receivers) played at a very high level; their team's chemistry is doing them well; question is: can they maintain it each week??

FlatheadSooner
10/12/2008, 02:41 PM
If you take our penalties and lack of kick return coverage for granted, yes.

Fix those two areas, and we probably win the game.

Half a Hundred
10/12/2008, 02:52 PM
If you take our penalties and lack of kick return coverage for granted, yes.

Fix those two areas, and we probably win the game.

It was just their day yesterday. There's no point in looking back and trying to fix things; they were just going to be the better team that day. Now, play that game again, and things very well could end up different. However, we've got to move on, and quit beating ourselves up over it.

Lott's Bandana
10/12/2008, 04:31 PM
That's just so ....

exactly right. The guy played a near-perfect game, and anytbody who doesn't acknowledge and respect that doesn't know anything about college football.

He did, but so did Sam, yet we lost. Therefore, Colt did not beat us, the team beat us. (but he certainly helped.)

Lott's Bandana
10/12/2008, 04:35 PM
There were at least three plays yesterday that I counted where Colt either whipped the ball just under the arms of one of our defenders or lofted it just out of their reach.

In other words, he was awesome. If he was playing for us, he'd be garnering comparisons to Sam Bradford both for his ability and his professional demeanor.

GVS, you are right, but I wanted to interject:

Sam showed us a lot yesterday besides just good play and I'm even more damn glad we have him.

soonerinabilene
10/12/2008, 07:21 PM
Heisman Watch.
You guys talk good about Colt, but damn; Bradford with 5 TD passes against a top defense? Awesome!! Yes, Colt led us to the win, but what voter can deny what Bradford did? Gonna be an interesting season!

Why cant all horn fans be like you? Its been one day and i have had over a hundred people ask me how i felt after ou got their "*** kicked" by their beloved whorns yesterday. Thats why i cant stand most UT fans... most of them act like they have never won before. (of course, by most UT fans, I am talking about the thousands that magically appeared from nowhere two seconds after the rose bowl ended.)

OK2LA
10/12/2008, 08:15 PM
We could have made it a little tougher on him by actually covering someone in the middle of the field. Hell, I can complete an 8 yard pass down the middle of the field.

Do you have any elegibility left?

AzianSooner
10/12/2008, 09:57 PM
Sorry but I hardly have ANY man crush on that McCoy.

I Think the refs protected him too much like a little girl and we did not bliz the hell out of him like last year. He need to be HIT ONCE.

cherrylimeade
10/12/2008, 10:32 PM
Dude....you keep on working on that english over there. You'll get it!!!

1890MilesToNorman
10/12/2008, 10:42 PM
If I had a choice between Colt and Sam? Hummmmm,

I think I take Sam. Colt played well but Sam does not miss very often, he also ran a few times and picked up some yards too. colt has a year on Sam in his career and I think Sam will benefit with another year as well (asuming he stays).

Colt or Sam?? I take Sam.

JBIILonghorns
10/12/2008, 10:55 PM
Not just Shipley...the whole receiving corps held on to the ball. I was telling my wife "don't they ever drop a pass?!!!!"

just our defensive end Roy Miller. That's all. :)

Curly Bill
10/12/2008, 10:55 PM
just our defensive end Roy Miller. That's all. :)

He's a defensive tackle.

...your welcome. ;)

FrostySooner
10/13/2008, 02:08 AM
I still don't think that Knall intentionally put on an acting job, it just happened that way. Knall was cramping up after his fake punt run and I think that his calf cramped up shortly after he punted it.

TJKDone
10/13/2008, 03:21 AM

In other words, he was awesome. If he was playing for us, he'd be garnering comparisons to Jason White both for his ability and his professional demeanor.

I would much prefer comparisons to Josh H or Nate H than Jason W;)

Colt was downgraded as a player in many people's eyes nationally because of a supposed "sophmore slump." While his numbers were very average he played behind a young, injury decimated line that may have been the worst at Texas in the modern era. I don't remember one being worse under Mackovic or McWilliams. There was that much challenge in that area last year.

He has a moxy that is uncommon. He can lift a team to another level.

Great game and offense.

Your defense doesn't have quite the same talent as those Roy and the gang defenses, but look at how well you defended our offense in the first half? You were just worn down by a team that had a little bit more than you did on Saturday.

Hook'em

OU_Sooners75
10/13/2008, 03:56 AM
Great game and offense.

Your defense doesn't have quite the same talent as those Roy and the gang defenses, but look at how well you defended our offense in the first half? You were just worn down by a team that had a little bit more than you did on Saturday.

Not to be an a$$...

But if OU was not in that no huddle late in the game, Texas would not have been able to wear down our Defense.

Texas benefitted a lot yesterday because of TOP or Time of Possession. The Horns had dang near 15 minutes (1 quarter) of TOP than OU.

That will always wear down a defense in a game that is being played like basketball.

And fellow Sooner fans. I love the no huddle...but our coaching staff needs to be flexible and know when to abandon it. We need to start working out of the I if we wish to run the ball with success. We need to learn to slow the pace of the game down when we are in a tight game and able to move the ball at will.

TJKDone
10/13/2008, 05:09 AM
Not to be an a$$...

But if OU was not in that no huddle late in the game, Texas would not have been able to wear down our Defense.

Texas benefitted a lot yesterday because of TOP or Time of Possession. The Horns had dang near 15 minutes (1 quarter) of TOP than OU.

That will always wear down a defense in a game that is being played like basketball.

And fellow Sooner fans. I love the no huddle...but our coaching staff needs to be flexible and know when to abandon it. We need to start working out of the I if we wish to run the ball with success. We need to learn to slow the pace of the game down when we are in a tight game and able to move the ball at will.

I don't think the deal is to "abandon" it but be able to run with a little consistency out of it. I think it can be done, but I'm not sure you guys have the horses at rb to do it. That is not a slam either, but Demarco Murray should be devastating at well timed draws and such out of that no huddle spread. That is the Demarco Murray of last year....

Any way you will win a lot, if not the rest of your games. Your no huddle is your main strength IMO. Now I do think you have a point concerning creativity on game day with Wilson especially. But that is a different story.

Hook'em

OU_Sooners75
10/13/2008, 05:48 AM
I don't think the deal is to "abandon" it but be able to run with a little consistency out of it. I think it can be done, but I'm not sure you guys have the horses at rb to do it. That is not a slam either, but Demarco Murray should be devastating at well timed draws and such out of that no huddle spread. That is the Demarco Murray of last year....

Any way you will win a lot, if not the rest of your games. Your no huddle is your main strength IMO. Now I do think you have a point concerning creativity on game day with Wilson especially. But that is a different story.

Hook'em

The best defense is a great offense....We have a great offense, but we need to know when to slow it down to control time and give our defense longer breathers.