PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on RRR 2008

CtheB
10/12/2008, 11:47 AM
This is also self-serving as counseling, but just a few random thoughts after the return from Dallas:
*KO return coverage is vomit.
*Say what you will, the officiating was terrible both ways. No reason to lay blame here.
*Game clearly changed when Reynolds went out, how any team can not have a stout and ready backup when the starter has been injury-hampered his entire career is mismanagement in my mind. Especially when that guy is your middle linebacker and the one responsible for making the calls in the huddle and before the snap.
*Our offensive line...regardless of year...is hands-down the most overrated part of our entire football team. This year's offensive line is the most overrated unit we have ever had, and that includes the 2003 and 2004 versions.....which coincidentally also couldn't get it done in big games.
*Again, and I refer to Carroll's comments after TGTWDNSO, we have been so good for so long doing what we do, that when it does not work, we have no plan B.
*Every good to great defensive football team is going to get tagged once or twice a year, and will depend on its offense to keep up the pace. When put in that situation yesterday, we did not respond.
*As hard as it is for me to say this, Brown is our best running back right now, and I am not sure that Madu is that far behind DM.
*Running backs are eligible receivers.
*This team cannot win in conference depending solely upon Manny to be the downfield passing game. Manny stepped up, they shut him down. Broyles stepped up, they shut him down. Gresham showed up, they shut him down. Where was JI? In single coverage all day long and couldn't get free but once or twice.
*Not to pick on JI, but why he is returning kickoffs is beyond me. He is not elusive, he clearly does not like contact, and he returns scared. He is an easy target for opposing teams to kick to. I have to believe that Madu, Broyles, even Justin Johnson would be a healthy substitute.
*Sammy B is a man among boys. Made some great decisions yesterday, and played well enough to win.
*If Crow is clearly the target in coverage, blitz him and take him out of coverage.
*Is our D good enough to hold a good offense under 40 points? Is it possible that we may have more games like yesterday's in our future?
*Whatever happened to good ole fashioned I formation football to pound it between the tackles?
*Numerous NFL quarterbacks are praying today that their GM does not say "the (insert NFL team name) drafts Phil Loadholt, offensive tackle, Oklahoma" next April.
*Travis Lewis is balls-out intense, he's a supe.
*WE DID NOT QUIT. Our boys played hard as heck all the way til the end.

Just a few random thoughts. Still think we are in the whole shooting match, just need help now. Could come as early as Saturday. I am no more convinced that Texas is the much better team, but they were better yesterday, and made plays in the fourth quarter when needed. I give it up to them. Play em 10 times and it might go 5-5.

As for Bob and the coordinators, it's how they respond to yesterday's game that will define their ability. Will changes be made? Will we develop a running game? Will we be more proactive than reactive on defense? I think we have the staff to do it.

Win out, and its KC and Miami in January in my mind. This football season is going the same route as last year's.

Let's not leave this season in Dallas. Thank you for reading.

FlatheadSooner
10/12/2008, 12:28 PM
This is also self-serving as counseling, but just a few random thoughts after the return from Dallas:
*KO return coverage is vomit.
Agree - can't believe we haven't shored this one up yet!?

*Say what you will, the officiating was terrible both ways. No reason to lay blame here.
Seemed a bit slanted towards UT favor - but we also killed our chances with stupid penalties!!

*Game clearly changed when Reynolds went out, how any team can not have a stout and ready backup when the starter has been injury-hampered his entire career is mismanagement in my mind. Especially when that guy is your middle linebacker and the one responsible for making the calls in the huddle and before the snap.
Agree - with Reynold's being that important to the D (the leader) and with his history of injury, we should have had a Strong Plan B ready at any time.

*Our offensive line...regardless of year...is hands-down the most overrated part of our entire football team. This year's offensive line is the most overrated unit we have ever had, and that includes the 2003 and 2004 versions.....which coincidentally also couldn't get it done in big games.
This only really shows in Big games but boy does it show.

*Again, and I refer to Carroll's comments after TGTWDNSO, we have been so good for so long doing what we do, that when it does not work, we have no plan B.
I thought early in game we were mixing things up well and keeping UT on their heels. Seems we lost some momentum on the hurry up and started trying to change plays too late. Too many plays wasted on running up the middle and should have just kept mixing the passes around to different receivers with quick play calls at the line.

*Every good to great defensive football team is going to get tagged once or twice a year, and will depend on its offense to keep up the pace. When put in that situation yesterday, we did not respond.
*As hard as it is for me to say this, Brown is our best running back right now, and I am not sure that Madu is that far behind DM.
There just weren't many good holes for them to run through. I thought Brown and Murray showed some signs and early were helping to get the first downs.

*Running backs are eligible receivers.
*This team cannot win in conference depending solely upon Manny to be the downfield passing game. Manny stepped up, they shut him down. Broyles stepped up, they shut him down. Gresham showed up, they shut him down. Where was JI? In single coverage all day long and couldn't get free but once or twice.
*Not to pick on JI, but why he is returning kickoffs is beyond me. He is not elusive, he clearly does not like contact, and he returns scared. He is an easy target for opposing teams to kick to. I have to believe that Madu, Broyles, even Justin Johnson would be a healthy substitute.
*Sammy B is a man among boys. Made some great decisions yesterday, and played well enough to win.
Heisman performance IMHO.

*If Crow is clearly the target in coverage, blitz him and take him out of coverage.
*Is our D good enough to hold a good offense under 40 points? Is it possible that we may have more games like yesterday's in our future?
*Whatever happened to good ole fashioned I formation football to pound it between the tackles?
*Numerous NFL quarterbacks are praying today that their GM does not say "the (insert NFL team name) drafts Phil Loadholt, offensive tackle, Oklahoma" next April.
*Travis Lewis is balls-out intense, he's a supe.
*WE DID NOT QUIT. Our boys played hard as heck all the way til the end.
I felt much better, in this regard, about this Big Game than a few recent including WVU and GOWWDNS. This was my #1 fear going into the game.

Just a few random thoughts. Still think we are in the whole shooting match, just need help now. Could come as early as Saturday. I am no more convinced that Texas is the much better team, but they were better yesterday, and made plays in the fourth quarter when needed. I give it up to them. Play em 10 times and it might go 5-5.
UT played well enough to win. That said, we also beat ourselves with penalties, and lack of kickoff coverage. Fix those two things and we probably would have won yesterday.

As for Bob and the coordinators, it's how they respond to yesterday's game that will define their ability. Will changes be made? Will we develop a running game? Will we be more proactive than reactive on defense? I think we have the staff to do it.

Win out, and its KC and Miami in January in my mind. This football season is going the same route as last year's.
After watching how easily Mizzou and LSU went down, I tend to agree with you that this could be same situation as last year choosing between all 1-2 loss teams - probably to play against Penn State (do they play anyone?).

Let's not leave this season in Dallas. Thank you for reading.

Good post!
Responses above.