PDA

View Full Version : The 2000 season is getting more and more special

The Maestro
10/12/2008, 07:58 AM
Last night I just started thinking about how every season we HOPE to have a chance to be special, run the table and win it all. Teams win titles with losses, but unbeaten seasons are truly the best.

And that's why yesterday makes me remember how special 2000 was. A JUCO QB nobody wanted. A running back that was too small and not a speed demon. A line that boasted of 2 star recruits. A defense with walk-ons starting. A coaching staff that had been together for all of one year prior and had lost its hotshot offensive coordinator after just one season.

To do what we did that season...with those players...it may never be done again. To win them all now will just be with a bunch of stars coming together. That OU team came out of nowhere, dominated some teams they shouldn't have, held on against teams aiming for an upset and then just showed the heart of the team in a performance in the title game that is unmatched.

I appreciate the 2000 season more and more each year...and especially after each loss...

wishbonesooner
10/12/2008, 08:56 AM
I agree. As much sucess as Sooner fans have known over the last 50 years or so, those magical seasons are indeed rare. Maybe that's why losing games we have chances to win sting so bad.

Blitzkrieg
10/12/2008, 09:52 AM
Texas looks somewhat like that team right now, I don't like their chances to continue the magic. Gotta like their chemistry right now.

bluedogok
10/12/2008, 01:10 PM
You have to have a bunch of luck to win it all and especially go undefeated. In 2000 we had very few injuries that impacted the team, even Heupel was "well" enough to play at the end of the season. There were significant "non" calls like the Calmus block in the back on Marshall's interception return against aTm. Look at any of the past winners and you will see this is the case. Look how many times some "stupid" decision worked out for Miles last season and the lack of injuries.

You have to be real good to put yourself in position but you really have to have some serious luck along the way to win it all.