PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Questions

BoomerSooner3
10/12/2008, 01:04 AM
1. Why did we continue to blitz throughout the game when it was obviously not working at all? I don't think I remember more than 1 positive play coming from our blitz. It seemed like our most consistent pressure on McCoy came when we rushed 4 and dropped 7 into coverage.

2. Why keep Crow in the game when he was getting abused over the middle and it was clear that he was not ready to play in this type of a game? Would it have been too difficult to bring in an extra DB in the game and run a nickel package with T-Lewis and Clayton at LB? Perhaps we could have moved Nic back to his old NB position and brought it Proctor to play to safety.

It was just frustrating to see the defense just get hammered and then it was even more frustrating to see that no noticeable defensive adjustments were being made. There is no reason why an offense with no real running game should be able to put up 38 points on our D.

BoulderSooner79
10/12/2008, 01:22 AM
As for 1), I thought the blitz did work pretty well at times while RR was still in the game. We got a few negative plays and forced some incompletes. We got burned a couple of times, but not for big plays. Once RR got hurt, it stopped working. We had no pressure w/o the blitz, but with the blitz, McCoy had an easy outlet up the middle. RR must have been covering those middle guys pretty well.

2.) I don't know. It was obvious Crow was getting picked on consistently and we needed to do something to compensate. Maybe we did do some things, but as you say, they were not noticeable. At least not any results.

TXBOOMER
10/12/2008, 08:07 AM
They better do something about #2 before next week or we will be in another shootout.

VA Sooner
10/12/2008, 08:36 AM
Crow didn't have the experience. Should have moved to a 4-2-5 package and mixed up the coverage. Agree... we got pressure when Reynolds was in... led to McCoy's negative 5 yards for most of the first half. Everything changed when Reynolds went out but not enough adjustments.

Went for it on 4th and 13... I'm OK with that because we needed something ballsy to change the momentum.

But not going for it on 4th and 2??? Come on! That would have been the better time to go for it especially with Defense not holding.

Back to the practice fields and seeing how to shift things. Nic Harris is a very hard hitter... I like the idea of moving him to inside linebacker and moving Proctor to Safety. Plus Proctor will need the experience when he takes over when Holmes and Harris graduate next year.

adoniijahsooner
10/12/2008, 09:51 AM
They better do something about #2 before next week or we will be in another shootout.

number 2 was right there to defend every pass, cosby just made some great plays. 2 and 15 are first year starters and they have done well imo.

VA Sooner
10/12/2008, 10:09 AM
Our secondary did very well. They covered very well... McCoy made a few very impressive passes. #2 and #15 did what they were supposed to do... not bad for first year starters.

CK Sooner
10/12/2008, 10:12 AM

Brian Jackson

:rolleyes:

okiewaker
10/12/2008, 10:12 AM
Yeah, and the texas receivers made some great catches as well

St. Louis Sooner
10/12/2008, 10:13 AM
i like the idea of the 4-2-5 due to our depth at LB, but making a mid-season D change could really hurt; the positive to doing this is we have some players that can play either LB or safety, so we certainly have the personnel to do it; these dual role types could easily be seen as our strength on D ... so maybe brent can adjust to that strength; just sayin ...

kevpks
10/12/2008, 10:22 AM

At least bother to look up his name. You obviously have an internet connection. It's not that hard really.

okiewaker
10/12/2008, 10:31 AM
At least bother to look up his name. You obviously have an internet connection. It's not that hard really.

Im not so sure #2 has a name. You may have a reading problem.

StoopTroup
10/12/2008, 10:43 AM
I should have pulled the fire alarm at their Hotel.

I regret that now.

Seriously....

Bob made some bad Coaching decisions, had the fake punt worked of course I wouldn't be hitting him for it...I'd be saying it was genius...

Had (30) Robinson come up with the INT...

Had Ryan not gotten hurt...

The Special Teams breakdown...

I could mention some questionable calls but we should have overcome them IMO...

It was one of the best RRSO's in RRSO History...it just didn't go OUr way...

I do wonder if Cox is the guy to replace Ryan....

At least we're at Home and have KU to sharpen OUr claws on....

okiewaker
10/12/2008, 10:58 AM
Brian Jackson

:rolleyes:

You gave me neg spek for something stupid. Anyway, yes #2 is brian Jackson but question number 2 is relevant also.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

TXBOOMER
10/12/2008, 11:01 AM

Read the initial post! Item # 2 in the initial post = # 2.

TXBOOMER
10/12/2008, 11:02 AM
Im not so sure #2 has a name. You may have a reading problem.

LOL No doubt!:D

okiewaker
10/12/2008, 11:05 AM
LOL No doubt!:D

CK=not reading posts and then negging folks:)

HopeSpringsEternal
10/12/2008, 11:19 AM
Meh, you can keep blaming it on whatever you want to blame it on. The fact of the matter is that Texas found ways to exploit the defense with or without RR in the football game. RR getting injured, OU continuing to use a high school blitz package, or them getting "tired" is just a bunch of excuses for the real problem that is BV. The defense is a liability now. They can't depend on it to win them a ballgame because it's not going to happen.