PDA

View Full Version : Just a thought....

BASSooner
10/11/2008, 11:47 PM
...now I apologize if there is a 12324652346th thread about THIS TYPE of subject. Feel free to delete it, bash it or whatever the hell you wanna do. HOWEVER, like I said, I just had a thought.

Lots (not most) of sooner fans would say that, you know we can't win them all and because..well...that how things are and I accept that a 100%

However lets think of OUr team of this year.

This was considered to be OUr most COMPLETE team since 2004.

This year was also supposed to be a rebuilding year for texas.

...What happend?

Discuss.

Blue
10/11/2008, 11:51 PM
Number 8 will come when we least expect it.

Blue
10/11/2008, 11:52 PM
Penn St. will get worked by everybody. Please stop.

Curly Bill
Number 8 will come when we least expect it.

Well, I'm no longer expecting it this year, so....:D

sooner59
I least expect it to be this year.....does that count? Does it help our chances now? Ill go for that.

Jock Ewing
10/11/2008, 11:58 PM
Your staff isn't near what it used to be. Pretty simple.

misplaced_sooner
10/12/2008, 01:34 AM
Talent wise, we are there. I think it really has come down to coaching. The sooners stink on special teams. Once agan, we are very below average in the secondary and above average in the pass rush. I'd say the Offense is excellent.

I just hope that will figure it out for Sam Bradfords sake. It would be a shame for him not to win a National Title or heisman...

Blue
10/12/2008, 01:36 AM
Your staff isn't near what it used to be. Pretty simple.

Please elaborate.

Jock Ewing
10/12/2008, 01:42 AM
Please elaborate.

It's not rocket science. Venables blows compared to Mikey. Your defense doesn't scare anyone anymore -- Boise State, WVU, Texas, Tech, etc.

Blue
10/12/2008, 01:59 AM
It's not rocket science. Venables blows compared to Mikey. Your defense doesn't scare anyone anymore -- Boise State, WVU, Texas, Tech, etc.

Ok. We beat your *** after Boise. Tech beat a second string qb. Texas wins a game and all the sudden they're WORLD BEATERS! You guys, after last years loss, was talking about the END of macks program. Keep it in perspective.

F off and eat fried nutsacks. :D

TJKDone
10/12/2008, 05:36 AM
Please elaborate.

As a longhorn, I disagree that Venables has been the problem. When you look at this game, we were able to wear you down, something I'm not sure any other team in CFB could do. Our OL due to being thrown into the fire last year during the most injury riddled season we have had at UT is now very seasoned and talented. You guys shut us down until the third and fourth quarters where our time of possesion edge started to really fatigue you guys. It wasn't a scheme deal but who you played in that department.

As far as coaching goes, I am more inclined to say that the game day creativity left when the last of your original offensive brain trust, Chuck Long left. He has really been villified here, but I always thought on game day that he gave some great defensive coaches, including Greg Robinson, fits.

Lastly special teams is very much a coaching issue. There are times when you run into an unreal talent like Rocket Ishmail and give up returns. Jordan Shipley has never returned a kick for a TD before to my knowlege. Also the fake punt wasn't well executed. I thought the call for it situationally was good because it was unpredictable, but the guy ran into his own player. The nuances on special teams seem like they could be significantly improved if given proper coaching. That is where you guys could improve "overnight" IMO. I don't understand what has happened in that department because it has been a hallmark of Stoops dating back to his days with Kansas State.

Great great game though.

Hook'em

the_ouskull
10/12/2008, 08:43 AM
As a longhorn, I disagree that Venables has been the problem.

First of all, I trust you about as far as I'd ride in a car with you...

Second, a whorn saying that Venables isn't the problem is rather akin to Sooners telling whorns a few years back and Greg Davis wasn't the problem. We know these tricks, *sshole. :D

As for the thread itself...

I blame the offensive line's inability to follow through on a run block 'til the end. I blame the coach's inability to consistently get the defensive players in the correct position to make plays. I blame the special teams for the same reason.

These players we're getting now, 5-stars, the lot of them, have led very pampered lives. Give me some hungry 3-star players over some privileged 5-star players any day of the week.

I am a coach as well, and when I see players with a lack of intensity, that's on them as individuals, and it's on the coaches. A lack of intensity at ANY competitive level is the straw that stirs the drink of sucktitude.

the_ouskull

Johnny Utah
10/12/2008, 08:51 AM
First of all, I trust you about as far as I'd ride in a car with you...

Second, a whorn saying that Venables isn't the problem is rather akin to Sooners telling whorns a few years back and Greg Davis wasn't the problem. We know these tricks, *sshole. :D

As for the thread itself...

I blame the offensive line's inability to follow through on a run block 'til the end. I blame the coach's inability to consistently get the defensive players in the correct position to make plays. I blame the special teams for the same reason.

These players we're getting now, 5-stars, the lot of them, have led very pampered lives. Give me some hungry 3-star players over some privileged 5-star players any day of the week.

I am a coach as well, and when I see players with a lack of intensity, that's on them as individuals, and it's on the coaches. A lack of intensity at ANY competitive level is the straw that stirs the drink of sucktitude.

the_ouskull

Good points on the lack of run blocking, defense and special teams. The lack of intensity has also hurt OU in several games over the last few seasons.

Jock Ewing
10/12/2008, 04:43 PM
Ok. We beat your *** after Boise. Tech beat a second string qb.D

Okay. Nothing is wrong with your staff. And Venables is clearly a better DC than Mikey.

What does Bradford's injury have to do with your D getting lit up like a Christmas tree against Tech?

sooner59
10/12/2008, 06:56 PM
I wouldn't be smack talking until after you beat them in Lubbock this year. They sounded pretty sore about last year's game.

aero
10/12/2008, 07:02 PM
A lot of "what if"s in this game. What if Reynolds doesn't get hurt, maybe Texas doesn't outscore us. No question he was the defenses QB and was a big loss. What if the refs didn't suck? Bad calls happen all the time and don't expect it to ever change. There were probably bad calls on both sides but the 2 personal fouls and non INT call were pretty big. Why no review of the non INT? No T/O from our coaches? I thought the Horns lined up and kicked the field goal awfully quick. Was this a coaching blunder? What if the fake punt gained the first down? What if we had just punted? The O line appeared to be an anomaly - one that was very good at pass blocking and also pretty good at run blocking. We now see after TCU and Texas that the good run blocking perhaps was a result of inferior competition. We saw a pretty good defense Saturday. Orakpo and Kindle were huge. Shipley had a career day. Cosby makes those catches every game. McCoy is a scrapper and quite capable. I like to think we are still the better team but that's hard to believe when we've lost the last 3 out of 4. OUr D looked gassed and understandably with the T.O.P. so in favor of UT. We were definitely a different D w/o Reynolds. It doesn't seem right complaining about things when we are still top 10 (or top 5) but we seem to be losing respect with our recent failures in bowls and big games. One thing about almost all of our NC teams, they had pretty salty D's. Guess you could say that about just about any NC team. That, to me, has been what's missing the last few years. Yes, we seem to have the talent but just can't deliver. Is it defensive coaching? I wish I knew. Well, guess its water under the bridge. Once again we find ourselves saying just win out and let the chips fall where they may. At this point, winning out and winning a good bowl game would be a welcome change. Anything more would be extremely good fortune.

Boomer Sooner

StoopTroup
10/12/2008, 07:09 PM
What does Bradford's injury have to do with your D getting lit up like a Christmas tree against Tech?

That statement definitely might take a Rocket Scientist to figure out though.

WTF?

UTgolfer
10/12/2008, 08:11 PM
What happened...you got out-coached.

According to Greg Davis, UT used the "10 formation"...1 back, 0 tight ends, and 3 receivers to one side which was designed to create mismatches for Shipley. UT hasn't used that formation all year...8 years in fact...and you didn't adjust.

Fake punt was desperation and the punt on 4th and 2 was interesting also.

Stoops should fire your special teams coach immediately.

Should have called a time out after the call in the end zone regarding the interception.

Your coaching staff should have burned holes in Lewis' ears regarding getting anywhere close to McCoy in what could be a questionable situation.

There were a lot of bad calls and non-calls on both sides...but OU lost because of coaching.

Curly Bill
10/12/2008, 08:26 PM
According to Greg Davis, UT used the "10 formation"...1 back, 0 tight ends, and 3 receivers to one side which was designed to create mismatches for Shipley. UT hasn't used that formation all year...8 years in fact...and you didn't adjust.

Yeah tell us about it. :rolleyes:

Venables wouldn't adjust if you guys scored a TD on every damn play. :( :mad:

OK2LA
10/12/2008, 08:28 PM
In order for this team to win a NC this year they'd have to get some serious help in the following areas:

1. Run
2. Defense of the Run
3. Special Teams - Chris Wilson was on on thin ice before this game, and is officially on the "could be fired before the end of the season list".

Curly Bill
10/12/2008, 08:30 PM
No way Bob's gonna fire anybody.

...and what, admit he was wrong to hire them in the first place?

UTgolfer
10/12/2008, 08:33 PM
Yeah tell us about it. :rolleyes:

Venables wouldn't adjust if you guys scored a TD on every damn play. :( :mad:

I'm sorry you are right. Shipley had a terrible game. Your pass defense completely shut him down.

Curly Bill
10/12/2008, 08:35 PM
I'm sorry you are right. Shipley had a terrible game. Your pass defense completely shut him down.

:confused:

We haven't covered him yet, WTF are you talking about?

UTgolfer
10/12/2008, 08:38 PM
Missed your intended sarcasm...one too many whiskey's after the Cowboys' meltdown.

bluedogok
10/12/2008, 08:42 PM
This year was also supposed to be a rebuilding year for texas.
The Whorns in my office and I have discussed this some.

LAST year was their rebuilding year, they were breaking in an almost entirely new offensive line which matured through the struggles of last season, that what allowed McCoy to get beat up last year. This season they started off with a year of maturity. I think the only offensive question was at running back, they had Cosby and Shipley coming back as veteran receivers and Shipley one year healthier from his injuries.

On defense, the Akina as coordinator experience failed and the defense matured, the question for the defense was the secondary. Everything else was pretty much set.

UTgolfer
10/12/2008, 08:50 PM
The Whorns in my office and I have discussed this some.

LAST year was their rebuilding year, they were breaking in an almost entirely new offensive line which matured through the struggles of last season, that what allowed McCoy to get beat up last year. This season they started off with a year of maturity. I think the only offensive question was at running back, they had Cosby and Shipley coming back as veteran receivers and Shipley one year healthier from his injuries.

On defense, the Akina as coordinator experience failed and the defense matured, the question for the defense was the secondary. Everything else was pretty much set.

I would disagree with the guys in your office...THIS was...and still may be our rebuilding year. Last year our offensive line struggled with the loss of 3 guys to the NFL and a rash of injuries....hence McCoy's struggles. Last year we also had several more big name offensive weapons. This is supposed to be a rebuilding year: 1) no #1 running back, 2) OL with experience but not as a unit 3) no established TE and 4) questions regarding WR (Shipley's health). Next year has been the year many have circled.

I think the odds of us going undefeated the rest of the way are LONG. Extremely tough schedule and we have escaped the injury bug so far.

sortiz1965
10/12/2008, 08:52 PM
Unless the coaching staff solves our defensive and special teams problems, I can see us losing to Tech, OSU, and perhaps even Kansas. Yep, OU could suffer through a 4 loss season.

Win out, and we're right back in the thick of things, assuming we get some help from tu.

It's painfully evident that the defensive coaches are unable to adjust quickly and compensate for game time situations. You'd think someone would have been smart enough to ensure a defensive player spied Shipley at all times, especially when he lined up in the slot.

Position Limit
10/12/2008, 09:02 PM
ut golfer,
i think texas runs a mickey mouse offense, and the longhorn stickers that mccoy wears under his eyes are totally gay. and my wife thinks he's gay. i mean he gave an interview still wearing those things. it set my wife's gaydar off.
that being said, even though the horns have not faced a real defense this year i still think you guys are for real. i think the hiring of mushchamp was a great decision by mack. if your team can keep that intensity the rest of the season, you will be a happy fan. call me impressed.
perhaps stoops can tear a page out of macks book and get this team serious for the rest of the season. get some god damned attitude for once after a big loss and win out.

bluedogok
10/12/2008, 09:07 PM
I would disagree with the guys in your office...
They didn't feel that this season was THE year, but they would have a chance to be in the mix but not be the favorite to have a shot at it.

UTgolfer
10/12/2008, 09:18 PM
They didn't feel that this season was THE year, but they would have a chance to be in the mix but not be the favorite to have a shot at it.

Fair enough.

UTgolfer
10/12/2008, 09:23 PM
ut golfer,
i think texas runs a mickey mouse offense, and the longhorn stickers that mccoy wears under his eyes are totally gay. and my wife thinks he's gay. i mean he gave an interview still wearing those things. it set my wife's gaydar off.
that being said, even though the horns have not faced a real defense this year i still think you guys are for real. i think the hiring of mushchamp was a great decision by mack. if your team can keep that intensity the rest of the season, you will be a happy fan. call me impressed.
perhaps stoops can tear a page out of macks book and get this team serious for the rest of the season. get some god damned attitude for once after a big loss and win out.

I hope to be happy....but seriously doubt we will win out.

As for our offense...its micky mouse? What does that say about your defense? And as for you wife's "gaydar"...it is isn't working in this case.

Curly Bill
10/12/2008, 09:26 PM
And as for you wife's "gaydar"...it is isn't working in this case.

You got proof of that, because I know more then one female that says the same thing.

Maybe his best friend and roommate Shipley knows? ;)

PDXsooner
10/12/2008, 09:28 PM
as usual, people are overanalyzing every loss. the year we won the national title in 2000 we gave up 31 to k-state, and damn near lost to a&m, and okie state to end the season.

UTgolfer
10/12/2008, 09:32 PM
You got proof of that, because I know more then one female that says the same thing.

Maybe his best friend and roommate Shipley knows? ;)

Gay talk...is that all you really have? Make you feel better about yesterday's result? Come on...you guys are better than that.

Position Limit
10/12/2008, 09:33 PM
I hope to be happy....but seriously doubt we will win out.

As for our offense...its micky mouse? What does that say about your defense? And as for you wife's "gaydar"...it is isn't working in this case.

it says our defense blows. never improves and not a good benchmark for texas to guage itself with. texas' offense is loaded with enough talent to win by playing schoolyard football. colt may or may not be gay, but you gotta admit those stickers are totally gay.

PDXsooner
10/12/2008, 09:33 PM
Gay talk...is that all you really have? Make you feel better about yesterday's result? Come on...you guys are better than that.

after missouri wins in austin, will you be comin' round these parts?

Curly Bill
10/12/2008, 09:35 PM

Doesn't matter to me one way or the other...

...just pointing out what a lot of people think.

Position Limit
10/12/2008, 09:37 PM

if missouri wins in austin, colt and chase can rent a cabin the woods for rest of the weekend for all i care.

UTgolfer
10/12/2008, 09:38 PM

Absolutely...question is what are you going to do if you lose a couple of more games this year?

Care to make a friendly wager regarding the game?

UTgolfer
10/12/2008, 09:40 PM
Doesn't matter to me one way or the other...

...just pointing out what a lot of people think.

Lot of people...sounds definitive. Lot of people thought the US financial system was on sound footing a few months ago. How'd that turn out?

Curly Bill
10/12/2008, 09:42 PM
Lot of people...sounds definitive. Lot of people thought the US financial system was on sound footing a few months ago. How'd that turn out?

I, nor no one I know thought the US financial system was on sound footing, as for that other matter?

UTgolfer
10/12/2008, 09:48 PM
I, nor no one I know thought the US financial system was on sound footing, as for that other matter?

I nor anyone I know thinks Colt is gay. Does that prove it? You should drop the topic as it makes you look foolish.

Curly Bill
10/12/2008, 09:51 PM
I nor anyone I know thinks Colt is gay. Does that prove it? You should drop the topic as it makes you look foolish.

I was willing to drop it a while ago, you have felt the need to keep defending the idea. I don't care what he is. If it's so preposterous an idea I don't know why you feel the need to stick around and keep arguing the point.

A Sooner in Texas
10/12/2008, 09:52 PM
Um, I'm a female, and I think Colt seems like a really, really, REALLY sweet guy.

NTTAWWT.

;)

UTgolfer
10/12/2008, 09:54 PM
I was willing to drop it a while ago, you have felt the need to keep defending the idea. I don't care what he is. If it's so preposterous an idea I don't know why you feel the need to stick around and keep arguing the point.

Because you make a baseless accusation against a guy that by all accounts is a first class individual. Gaydar comments are in context...but "I know a girl" comments are ridiculous.

Done here. Make yourself feel good and call Mack Brown a child molestor.

Curly Bill
10/12/2008, 09:55 PM
Because you make a baseless accusation against a guy that by all accounts is a first class individual. Gaydar comments are in context...but "I know a girl" comments are ridiculous.

Done here. Make yourself feel good and call Mack Brown a child molestor.

YAWN!!!

Position Limit
10/12/2008, 09:56 PM
are you saying the pretty stickers under his eyes after the game during a sit down interview is not gay?

Curly Bill
10/12/2008, 09:56 PM
Um, I'm a female, and I think Colt seems like a really, really, REALLY sweet guy.

NTTAWWT.

;)

:D

sooneron
10/12/2008, 10:05 PM
You guys realize that you're saying we got beat by the C3P0 of qbs right?

Curly Bill
10/12/2008, 10:06 PM

Yeah...:(

Position Limit
10/12/2008, 10:10 PM

lol. nicely played.

MissouriSooner
10/12/2008, 10:16 PM
Absolutely...question is what are you going to do if you lose a couple of more games this year?

Care to make a friendly wager regarding the game?

No bets, but a prediction: If Texas plays with the same intensity that it had in the RRS, it will beat Missouri handily. The Missouri Midget is overrated, and if the Texas D will put a hat on Maclin, Washington, and Coffman, that's all it takes, 'cause that's all MU's got, and they got no defense, as the Pokes proved.

Johnny Utah
10/12/2008, 10:30 PM
No bets, but a prediction: If Texas plays with the same intensity that it had in the RRS, it will beat Missouri handily. The Missouri Midget is overrated, and if the Texas D will put a hat on Maclin, Washington, and Coffman, that's all it takes, 'cause that's all MU's got, and they got no defense, as the Pokes proved.

That's what OU had the opportunity to do (twice) last season!