PDA

View Full Version : Cotton Bowl "improvements"

Paperclip
10/11/2008, 11:20 PM
I had fun at the game today, but...from my seat in Section 31 I didn't hear a single announcement over the PA or a single word when the ref made a call. There was no scoreboard visible that showed down and distance. I saw no replays. Oh sure, there was a tv hanging on the girders behind me, but with the glare there's no telling what was on the screen. The configuration of the concessions left a little to be desired as well. Oh, they did finally decide that an aisle should divide the sections as opposed to going down the middle of one. That was a plus.

salth2o
10/11/2008, 11:26 PM
The ref was having lots of problems with his mic. I saw him go to the sideline a few times to get "rewired".

I was disappointed with the lack of replays as well. I kept looking for my remote and the DVR rewind button. It was painfully obvious that the redesign was not intended for anyone 6'5" or taller to be able to sit. On the few occasions during timeouts, etc. I felt like a contortionist trying to sit.

The restrooms were better.

Flagstaffsooner
10/11/2008, 11:42 PM
Did they improve the poop and **** rooms?

SbOrOiNaEnR
10/11/2008, 11:54 PM
Did they improve the poop and **** rooms?

I was about to ask if poop and $hit rooms are a little redundant, until I realized you probably typed pi$$ ;)

salth2o
10/11/2008, 11:57 PM
There was new hardware.

MichiganSooner
10/12/2008, 11:57 AM
There was new hardware.

But did it flush properly?

TheUnnamedSooner
10/12/2008, 12:00 PM
I was really happy with the new upper decks. Everything was pretty nice. Though the jumbo tron needs to be higher. We couldn't see what down or anything as it was too low and people were in the way.

Flagstaffsooner
10/12/2008, 12:12 PM
I was about to ask if poop and $hit rooms are a little redundant, until I realized you probably typed pi$$ ;)I should have said pee pee.:D

You must realize that I havent talked in grade school terms since 1967. GO STONEGATE STINGRAYS!

yermom
10/12/2008, 12:56 PM
dude, not being about to see the down and distance on plays sucked ***

seriously i was pissed the whole game, and that was before it started going down the toilet

Lott's Bandana
10/12/2008, 04:49 PM
I couldn't get out of the damn place.

Too congested, without enough exits...dangerous.

Otherwise, better than it was.

16,000 extra fans at the Fair shurenuff makes it friggin crowded.

ratedrsuperstar
10/12/2008, 04:53 PM
I had fun at the game today, but...from my seat in Section 31 I didn't hear a single announcement over the PA or a single word when the ref made a call. There was no scoreboard visible that showed down and distance. I saw no replays. Oh sure, there was a tv hanging on the girders behind me, but with the glare there's no telling what was on the screen. The configuration of the concessions left a little to be desired as well. Oh, they did finally decide that an aisle should divide the sections as opposed to going down the middle of one. That was a plus.

Maybe you should have purchased better tickets !

StoopTroup
10/12/2008, 06:58 PM
I was really happy with the new upper decks. Everything was pretty nice. Though the jumbo tron needs to be higher. We couldn't see what down or anything as it was too low and people were in the way.

Sorry I was standing the whole game.

For what it's worth...standing underneath it....I couldn't see it either.

They need to put the scoreboard up about 10 feet and back about 25 feet.

As far as the announcement on how the company that did all the work finished On-time and On-budget....there was welding slag all over the new stands and lots of the poles had duct tape over the top to keep folks from cutting the **** out of themselves. The fences on the upper deck are way to high and an eye sore. Over-kill IMO.

The restrooms on the upper deck...adequate. Nothing special...it won't be long until it's as big a ****hole as it was....it will just be a bigger ****hole.

No Stats, no down info, There was a small sign in the texas EZ that if you had a telescope...you could have gotten the score, time, TO left and qtr.

The big screen was no help for me though...I could have run down 10 rows but having a couple 100 folks doing that is bad crowd control.

I was downstairs and saw some of the seats under the upper deck. I wouldn't want to sit there unless it was in front of the structure poles. Very distracting IMO if not completely in the way for some folks.

They should have built a new stadium IMO.

Very sad.

Very :texan:

salth2o
10/12/2008, 07:12 PM
I was downstairs and saw some of the seats under the upper deck. I wouldn't want to sit there unless it was in front of the structure poles. Very distracting IMO if not completely in the way for some folks.

Very :texan:

Last year my Dad and I sat on row 61 in section 2. We could only see about half of what happened. No score board, etc. It was teh succ.

swardboy
10/12/2008, 07:38 PM

BRILLIANT!

:rolleyes:

thesnowbishop
10/12/2008, 07:40 PM
Overall, it was a nice renovation, but a few key improvements could be made:

1. Down and Distance stats were kept on the bottom end of the jumbotron (and only on the bottom end of the jumbotron). Too bad that with excited fans, standing in the Sooner upper deck, nobody could see the bottom of the screen. I knew TO's left, score, and game clock, but the play clock, and down and distance were harder to see.

2. Fleisher's corny dogs are indeed great. But they should understand that a deal might be struck with adjacent food vendors. Market share you bitches! Free the corny dog! Expand the fryer, and they will come, if only for a day.

3. For 50 million, I found it funny that the concession tvs were largely powered by extension cords. Not a big deal, but it showed that a turd was indeed polished.

yermom
10/12/2008, 07:50 PM
yeah, i also thought the "on time on budget" thing was BS, they just left crap out

i forgot about the stairs, it took way too long to get out and i wasn't even in the upper deck

Ardmore_Sooner
10/12/2008, 07:50 PM
They didn't upgrade on concession stand staff. The slowest group of individuals I've ever encountered in my life.

yermom
10/12/2008, 07:51 PM
it's only a matter of time before we are in Jerry World

Ardmore_Sooner
10/12/2008, 07:53 PM

I'm going to request you stop posting in this thread.

StoopTroup
10/12/2008, 08:04 PM
it's only a matter of time before we are in Jerry World

It's to bad too...

The Fair is part of the Atmosphere.

Once we're at Jerry World...it will become a huge Tail Gate.

Nothing different than any other big game...

I'm betting it will be the end of a Great Tradition.

salth2o
10/12/2008, 08:07 PM
Agreed 100%.

It's to bad too...

The Fair is part of the Atmosphere.

Once we're at Jerry World...it will become a huge Tail Gate.

Nothing different than any other big game...

I'm betting it will be the end of a Great Tradition.

soonerstan56
10/12/2008, 08:48 PM
Agreed 100%.

So was it "a little too little, a little too late"?

Stan

royalfan5
10/12/2008, 08:52 PM
But they did at least get rid of the standing sewage though right? (Based on my experience at the 2007 Cotton Bowl)

Sooner24
10/12/2008, 09:34 PM
But they did at least get rid of the standing sewage though right? (Based on my experience at the 2007 Cotton Bowl)

They just had that there for the Nebraska fans so they would feel at home. :P

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/12/2008, 11:08 PM
I think horns designed the improvements because it sure did feel like they were trying to herd cattle. My ticket said Gate J, but it should have been Gate L, plus it was a windy mess. Getting out was horrible.

My view of the field was great, but I could barely see the play clock. The replays sucked.

The ladies rooms were improved, but the chick behind me was bragging about dropping her popcorn in the toilet so it won't be long before it is same ****, different day.

royalfan5
10/13/2008, 08:24 AM
They just had that there for the Nebraska fans so they would feel at home. :P I was on the Auburn side for that game though.

StoopTroup
10/13/2008, 09:07 AM
The upper deck concessions...

Yes...they were a joke.

The restrooms were good though.

Standing in front of the scoreboard along with the breeze I was getting made it nice and the little extra room you get behind that row of seats was nice until some folks figured out there was room up there. I graciously let folks fill in my seats as long as they were in crimson. There were a few puke orange folks that could clearly see the empty seats on the whorn side. I guess they were to dense in the head to go over there.

The Dallas Police seemed to like parading around in front of the Sooners on the front row of the upper deck...

I guess they had to be there but it was distracting IMO...

If you get seat there next year...make sure your up a few rows...

Yeah....the more I get to thinking about the "Improvements".....

The less improved it has become.

They have a lot more work to do...

They better stow that "On Budget" thing and take all of this years gate proceeds and triple it to finish some more improvements.

BTW....

whorns....don't think for one minute we're bagging on the Cotton Bowl because we lost.

It's a Stadium that is in your State. Something you guys have always boasted that you have the greatest **** in the World....

Well...

You don't.

I'd be embarrassed to host the Cotton Bowl and bring in Teams from other States each year...

You can do a whole lot better than that.

If your going to begin the Cotton Bowl Hotel Project now...don't. Your not finished with the Stadium.

StoopTroup
10/13/2008, 09:18 AM
Checkout some of the stuff at this site...

Dallas Ft. Worth Urban Development Forum (http://forum.dallasmetropolis.com/showthread.php?t=6116&page=15)

I liked this post. #735

One thing that is always missed when we are talking about the new Cowboys Stadium capacity is the fact that the 100,000 number includes the public plazas. The Cotton Bowl needs to do something similar near the stadium. I remember when I used to go to the games as a student, there were giant screens set-up at all four corners of the stadium that became a gathering place for people who couldn't get tickets, but still wanted the atmosphere of game day. Those seemed like as much fun as being in the bowl because of all of the up-close heckling and the freedom to move around.

Fair Park needs to create formal "plazas" where fans who can't actually fit in the bowl can still experience the game day atmosphere. The Cowboys Stadium is going to be in the middle of parking lots. There is nothing like the State Fair of Texas in Arlington. State Fair officials need to play up this fact and build infrastructure that will enhance a gameday experience which is unique to Fair Park.

It addresses why I thought Victory Park was a bad idea. Improve on the Outside atmosphere at Fair Park and get more folks to draw to the game site.

A "No Brainer" IMO that might help keep the game at the Cotton Bowl and put it atop the College Football pinnacle of The Greatest College Games.

instigator
10/13/2008, 10:08 AM
I was in Section 30 and thought the wider areas in the end zone were nice at first, but at halftime and the end, you could see that the improvements weren't enough. You could barely move in the concourse at times and the concession lines were ridiculous. I also couldn't find any vendors standing around to buy water from so I went all game without anything to drink.

After the game, it took FOREVER to get out of the stadium. I don't know what they did wrong, but something is wrong when the line doesn't move for 4-5 minutes at a time.

Overall, I think it is better than it uesed to be and the bathrooms were better. I don't care how bad it is, I don't want to go to Jerry's World. I'll sit on a bucket to watch this game at the fair. I love the atmosphere.

StoopTroup
10/13/2008, 10:23 AM
Well....

I did notice that there were quite a few folks with baby strollers standing at the bottom of the stairs with their heads up their a$$.

Also....standing there waiting to catch up with someone is a bad idea people.

I hate to say it but they need to move the beer stands away from the Cotton Bowl Entrance also.

They tried to keep people from going through the back way of the food court too.

All that did was make everyone try to move through a bottle neck by the SBC Tent.

I caught Gov. Henry pulling in too.

They somehow got his entourage of vehicles in there and parked him at the back of the food court.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c333/stooptroup/DSC03082.jpg

Some whorns were laughing at me for taking this pic and said..."Dude...it's just the Gov. of the Dust Bowl". I turned and said..."Yep and he got me the lotto". They said..."OK I'll give you that one". I continued "...and you boys come fishing...anytime you want...make sure you buy a license." :D

NightFlyerDFW
10/13/2008, 10:48 AM
I don't think you'll find many Horn fans supporting the Cotton Bowl.

Taxman71
10/13/2008, 11:00 AM
Now, now, now...as someone who was there for the worst days of the old Cotton Bowl I can tell you it is improved 100%. The bathrooms, concessions, walkways, upper deck seating all made the experience 1,000 better. The multiple bathrooms were absolutely superb. Who the he11 complains about new bathrooms?

After spending $50million, all they need to do is a little fine-tuning to take away the gripes as follows:

1. Install working TV's at concessions. Not seeing the game during the long line was tough.
2. Install a decent scoreboard on the north endzone, preferably TV, but at least down, distance, etc.
3. More (or at least some) aisle vendors in the upper deck for drinks, etc.

Do not blame the CB for the lack of replays, blame the no-huddle offense that both teams were running.

Do not blame the CB for the crowded exits, either leave early or stay a while. If OU won, we would have stayed a while to celebrate and exiting would have been no issue.

I give the CB improvements a resounding thumbs up!

StoopTroup
10/13/2008, 11:02 AM
It's more than fine-tuning IMO...

As long as your happy though...

Landthief 1972
10/13/2008, 12:39 PM
Well, it was my first OU-Texass game. Color me unimpressed with the Cotton Bowl.

Who was the genius who thought it was a good idea to place the bathrooms right next to the concession stand in the upper deck breezeway—a breezeway that was barely wide enough to go 6 deep? That area was a tremendous bottleneck.

The concession staff were the biggest bunch of morons I've ever seen. Half of them just stood around with 8-10 lines 6-8 people deep. And to the Sooner fan who made the lady remake your pretzel twice because she didn't put cheeze on it, or whatever your crotch was all sandy about? Screw you. My line didn't move for 10 minutes because of your dumb ***. All I wanted was a bottle of water, you think you're at Whataburger doing a specialty burger.

Water fountains—where the hell were they? If they had any, how were they marked, with 3x5 index cards on the ground?

The one bright spot was when the idiot whorn fan started traipsing in front of my section (135) flashing the hook 'em sign. He kept doing it, kept doing it. Finally, one OU fan just hopped out and shoved him with both hands back about 10 feet. Here came the cop. I thought he was going to pistol whip the OU guy, but he just motioned for him to go back to his seat. The whorn thought he was going to get to keep gloating like an 8-year-old, and then the cop grabs him by the shirt and starts pushing him toward and exit. The guy kept throwing horns, so the cop yanked his arms down and picked his dumb *** up and carried him out the exit. I wish he would have thrown him over the rail.

Being hungover from Humperdink's didn't help.

Taxman71
10/13/2008, 01:05 PM
It's more than fine-tuning IMO...

As long as your happy though...

I didn't say it was as nice as Owen Field or JerryWorld, but compared to the old CB and that it will keep the game in Dallas, it was good.

SoonersEnFuego
10/13/2008, 01:11 PM
I was on the upper deck right next to the scoreboard. I was in the shade the whole game. Pretty nice.
There were some times where I couldn't hear the PA announcer and if I didn't have great eyes I wouldn't have known what down it was because the down and distance was on the bottom of the scoreboard and was nowhere else in the stadium except for the chain gang. Much better overall in my opinion, though.