PDA

View Full Version : The decision to punt with 6 minutes left in the 4th, down by 3

Partial Qualifier
10/11/2008, 07:58 PM
Sorry if it's already been discussed, but WTF? I was incredulous. We weren't stopping Texas' offense without Reynolds in there - that much was obvious.

So we had a 4th and 4 somewhere around our own 45 or so -- it seemed that was "do or die" time. We punted, Texas drove to a TD, ballgame.

WTF?? THoughts?

Sooner98
10/11/2008, 08:04 PM
I thought it was odd, too, considering Stoops has gone for it on fourth many times in the past, in much less urgent circumstances. Has he lost his edge?

GrapevineSooner
Sorry if it's already been discussed

Trust us, it has (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122261). ;)

mexbeef
I never have understood that when you can't stop them, you might as well go for the win. Oh well, Texas played well and Colt is far more mobile than Sam. We have small backs and even smaller holes to run through. If you can't run at all, the pass won't save you. You need a Harvey Unga to keep them honest.

Curly Bill
10/11/2008, 08:06 PM
I never have understood that when you can't stop them, you might as well go for the win. Oh well, Texas played well and Colt is far more mobile than Sam. We have small backs and even smaller holes to run through. If you can't run at all, the pass won't save you. You need a Harvey Unga to keep them honest.

We scored 35 points, the offense was not the problem.

Partial Qualifier
10/11/2008, 08:17 PM
Trust us, it has (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122261). ;)

I see. :O

Jdog
10/11/2008, 08:19 PM
I agree we should have gone for it on 4th and short and we should have asked for a review of the interception. The non-interception not only provided them with 3 points, but it also gave them their first lead, and it killed any momentum that we might have had.

Soonerus
10/11/2008, 08:24 PM
If we had gone for it and failed you would be saying we should have punted...Switzer would have punted in that situation and did many times..

Partial Qualifier
10/11/2008, 08:34 PM
If we had gone for it and failed you would be saying we should have punted...Switzer would have punted in that situation and did many times..

actually no, i was screaming to go for it, for obvious reasons stated above...

GrapevineSooner
10/11/2008, 08:35 PM

I do recall when Switzer was coach of a certain NFL team in a late December game in Philly 13 years ago, he did the opposite. ;)

Soonerus
10/11/2008, 08:39 PM
Switzer always punted in that situation at OU...

OUbench
10/11/2008, 10:01 PM
Like some have said in the different threads, We need to put this game behind us, and I say........WE NEED TO KICK SOME *** in every game we have left! :mad:

tulsaoilerfan
10/11/2008, 10:03 PM
Switzer always punted in that situation at OU...

Because he usually had a defense that would get him the ball right back, not let the other team run all over their asses straight down the field