PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Play calling

soonerborn45
10/11/2008, 03:36 PM
I personally thought that ol KW's playcalling was once again vanilla. Yes at the first of the game there was some plays that were really good, however where did they go in the second half. All of those reverses and dump off passes were gone. Also why would you keep trying to run the ball on this stout UT defense. Sam was killing them the whole game and KW took the ball away from him. I agree with Traber on this situation, he said that it is a proven fact that you cannot run the ball so just put Sam in the pocket and let him sling it.

JLEW1818
10/11/2008, 03:38 PM
35 points is good enough to win, Defense and special teams get 100 % of the blame, if people want to blame.

soonerborn45
10/11/2008, 03:43 PM
Oh I totally agree with that statement. Dont get me wrong the O played great. I just thought our playcalling in the second half got just a little too conservative. The d and special teams was horrible.

JLEW1818
10/11/2008, 03:46 PM
yep.

SoonerLB
10/11/2008, 04:01 PM
I personally thought that ol KW's playcalling was once again vanilla. Yes at the first of the game there was some plays that were really good, however where did they go in the second half. All of those reverses and dump off passes were gone. Also why would you keep trying to run the ball on this stout UT defense. Sam was killing them the whole game and KW took the ball away from him. I agree with Traber on this situation, he said that it is a proven fact that you cannot run the ball so just put Sam in the pocket and let him sling it.

Well said! And true dat!

Curly Bill
10/11/2008, 04:04 PM
Offense scored enough to win...so this is being picky, but I would have liked to see us go down the field with the passing game more. Why didn't we try to exploit their two Frosh. safeties?

Johnny Utah
10/11/2008, 04:08 PM
Offense scored enough to win...so this is being picky, but I would have liked to see us go down the field with the passing game more. Why didn't we try to exploit their two Frosh. safeties?

As much as I've gone on several threads and griped about the lack of a run game, I wonder too why we didn't we try to exploit their two Frosh. safeties.

JLEW1818
10/11/2008, 04:09 PM
ONE OF THEM WAS WHITE

Spray
10/11/2008, 04:12 PM
I swear you people act like you've never watched football before.

Curly Bill
10/11/2008, 04:12 PM
As much as I've gone on several threads and griped about the lack of a run game, I wonder too why we didn't we try to exploit their two Frosh. safeties.

...and the answer is: our OC is really a Big-10 coach at heart, and that means predictable, safe football. I think our head coach is somewhat out of the same mold and so is OK with that. How did he ever coexist with Leach and Mangino? I mean really?

Curly Bill
10/11/2008, 04:13 PM
I swear you people act like you've never watched football before.

What is this "football" of which you speak?

JohnnyMack
10/11/2008, 04:15 PM
We played like Sand Aggie today.

We should be happy if we go 9 - 3.

aurorasooner
10/11/2008, 04:19 PM
I personally thought that ol KW's playcalling was once again vanilla. I don't think it's the game-day play-calling, but the &^%$ running-play design, sets, and blocking schemes. They just don't work and a quality D-Coordinator with talented D-players will shut down our simple telegraphed run game. We needed the running game today and it showed up in infrequent spurts where a few imaginative plays got good yardage, but it just wasn't good enough to break one.I thought our OL gave it all they could, but as far as the basic run-game play design and sets, it works against middle-of-the-pack D-coordinators with average D-talent, but it just doesn't work, and hasn't worked, against quality D-Cordinators with talented defensive players. I agree with the poster who posted, we looked too much like Tech today.
In any event 35 points should be enough to beat any team. Congrats to the Texas players and coaches. They took our best shot and responded time after time, hung in game, and they finally sealed it with a long rushing play, just as we did last year.

Spray
10/11/2008, 04:21 PM
What is this "football" of which you speak?

Heh. Looks like the race becomes TV 1 tonight.

JLEW1818
10/11/2008, 04:21 PM
Rushing won the game for them. Rushing determines the outcome of this game always.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
10/11/2008, 04:28 PM
35 points is good enough to win, Defense and special teams get 100 % of the blame, if people want to blame.

The way I see it as well. Honestly before the game if someone told me OU would score 35 points I would say that would be enough.

Am I disappointed we didn't run the ball better? Sure. If we don't give up that KO return for a TD I think chances are good we win going away.