time for austin box

CK Sooner
10/11/2008, 03:20 PM
Worst news of the season. :(

I didn't like the way Crow played.

CK Sooner
10/11/2008, 03:21 PM
time for austin box

I think he is a better player than Crow.

swardboy
10/11/2008, 03:22 PM
It's amazing how much difference the loss of one player seemed to make. The middle was wide open for the pass. It reminded me of the Miami series in the '80's.

CK Sooner
10/11/2008, 03:25 PM
It's amazing how much difference the loss of one player seemed to make. The middle was wide open for the pass. It reminded me of the Miami series in the '80's.

He couldn't play the pass for ****.

soonerborn45
10/11/2008, 03:31 PM
At first I didnt think it was that big of a deal to lose him but gotta give texas credit for pickin on the backup

SoonerDood
10/11/2008, 03:34 PM
yeah when Stoops comes over and hugs you in the middle of a game, it's bad.

PLaw
10/11/2008, 03:35 PM

RR going down is equivalent to losing Bradford on the offense. The whole defensive scheme flows through that position.

BOOMER

NYC Poke
10/11/2008, 03:37 PM
That really sucks. His absence was noticeable.

HoustonSooner23
10/11/2008, 03:40 PM
I would really love to see him in the Tech game.

OUthunder
10/11/2008, 03:46 PM
According to the Sports Animal guys just now. :(

If so that's worse than a loss to Texass.

TMcGee86
10/11/2008, 04:16 PM
Heck, at this point, you might even be able to change the title of this thread to out for his career.

I mean, how many guys come back from three acls? If that's what it is.

I feel for him. His knees just wouldn't allow him to play. He was a hell of a gamer. Stayed in before the half even though you could see it was killing him.

Here's praying he makes it back someday.

TripleOption14
10/11/2008, 04:28 PM
Its sad to say and also regrettable to say but Reynolds' body is simply not going to allow him to play this game any longer. His knees just were not meant for it if that is at all possible.

JLEW1818
10/11/2008, 04:29 PM
Jason White 2 ACL's draft status BAM!

iwannabelikesam
10/11/2008, 04:32 PM
This sucks :(

I feel bad for him, he may never play again :(

Widescreen
10/11/2008, 04:35 PM
He is the QB of this defense and we apparently have no backup. And trying to plug Box in there really isn't a solution. That's not his position and it takes more than physical ability to play MLB. We are in big trouble defensively.

Too bad for RR. He was having a great year. :(

stoopified
10/11/2008, 04:35 PM
I would rather go 4-2-5 with Nic Harris at the ROY and Sam proctor at safety.Proctor had been named a starter before a late push by Holmes sent him to the bench.

JLEW1818
10/11/2008, 04:39 PM
The thing is we cant move Clayton or Lewis to middle. Then we our hurt with one of them playing a different position. So we our hurt in 2 spots instead of 1. I guess Box is the answer for now.

what ever happened to that Terrence Marshall guy, still a year left? ha

St. Louis Sooner
10/11/2008, 05:47 PM
it freaks me out that the loss of reynolds made such an amazing difference in the game; we are thin at that position due to our main man ... #40 ... leaving to the NFL last year; however, has anyone started a 'brent vulnerables' thread yet?

MikeInNorman
10/11/2008, 06:13 PM
I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for complaining about Reynolds' play. He was definately improving on the field, and he was obviously critical in calling defensive signals.

In regard to the 4-2-5: we already play this defense every down. Clayton is a safety that lines up at LB when its a running play. He is not a natural linebacker.In fact we seem to be VERY thin at that position.

MyT Oklahoma
10/11/2008, 06:21 PM
I feel so sorry for Ryan and wish him the best with whatever the future holds for him.

Blue
10/11/2008, 07:40 PM
Solution: 5-2-4. F it.

East Coast Bias
10/11/2008, 08:16 PM
Why couldn't we move an End into the LB position? Bring RJ out of Red-Shirt, move Beale or English into MLB? That would kill traffic up the middle...

Soonerus
10/11/2008, 08:33 PM
Who is Crow ???

Newbomb Turk
10/11/2008, 08:56 PM
Damn - this poor kid is cursed. best wishes to you Ryan.

Soonerus
10/11/2008, 08:57 PM
I hate this for Ryan...

salth2o
10/11/2008, 09:04 PM
I was at the game and sitting in section 4 which was right behind the training table where they were looking at Ryan. I knew it was bad when a security guard walked up to him and asked if he was ok...he shook his head no.

What was cool though was when Ryan walked over to Travis Lewis who was sitting on the bench with some of the other LB's and, as if "to pass the torch", seeming told him that he had to take over and be the man.

adoniijahsooner
10/11/2008, 09:11 PM
I was at the game and sitting in section 4 which was right behind the training table where they were looking at Ryan. I knew it was bad when a security guard walked up to him and asked if he was ok...he shook his head no.

What was cool though was when Ryan walked over to Travis Lewis who was sitting on the bench with some of the other LB's and, as if "to pass the torch", seeming told him that he had to take over and be the man.

Do you think he will try to return next year? After he went down I knew we were going to struggle, because he is the one that gets everyone lined up. But I feel we need to move jeremy beal to mlb, and we will be fine.

StoopTroup
10/11/2008, 10:03 PM
Prayers for Ryan.

HopeSpringsEternal
10/11/2008, 10:52 PM
Most definately ^^^^

I hope whatever happens with football his treatment leaves his knee healthy enough to lead a normal life. After so much trouble it's got to be tough and I hope no permanent damage has been done.

badger
10/11/2008, 11:16 PM
I swore I wasn't going to post today at all, but then I saw this and had to pass it on:

Reynolds, who wasn't available for comment after the game, had said earlier this week that he finally felt 100 percent healthy and wasn't wearing a knee brace for the first time since his freshman year.

"It goes without saying how devastating it is for him and for all of us. You don't want that for anybody," OU defensive coordinator Brent Venables said, his eyes watering and his words slowing as he became choked up. "It's a part of the game, but it's real life."

Link (http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/10/oklahoma-lb-reynolds-out-for-season-with.html)

Desert Sapper
10/11/2008, 11:23 PM
Ryan Reynolds is a gamer. It was obvious he was fighting through some pain for at least a quarter. I wish him the very best and pray that he can make some kind of come back. As a veteran of multiple knee injuries, my heart is with him.:(

VA Sooner
10/11/2008, 11:24 PM
Bad news for Reynolds... great guy and this will likely be the end of a football career. Hard to impress scouts when you've had this much issue with the knees.

UTgolfer
10/12/2008, 11:05 AM
Went to the game so didn't it but when (is late 2nd quarter right?) and how did he blow out his ACL?

Echoes
10/12/2008, 12:30 PM
It's so sad. So sad. I feel so bad for the kid, he was finally playing up to his potential and was doing a pretty good job in the middle.

We lost the Texas game because he got injured, no doubt about it. Not the penalties or anything else. Go count how many passes and runs they made up the middle at his position after he got hurt, that Crow couldn't handle.

Let's hope Box gets in there and we don't miss a step.

tulsaoilerfan
10/12/2008, 12:31 PM
Went to the game so didn't it but when (is late 2nd quarter right?) and how did he blow out his ACL?

I'm not sure when it happened, but according to the Tulsa World article, it was in the 3rd quarter on Texas' second offensive possession when a fat *** Whorn lineman fell on him; interesting thing is they never showed a replay on the broadcast of what exacly happened;did anyone see the play?

badger
10/12/2008, 12:33 PM
The way they described BV after the game it was almost like Liu Xiang's coach talking to Chinese media after the hurdler left the track and decided not to compete.

I can't imagine what Ryan is thinking right now - he's likely second guessing his decision to play without a brace (I seriously hope it was Ryan's decision and not someone else's, based on the outcome), to continue playing when his knee first started to hurt again in the first half...

:(

aurorasooner
10/12/2008, 12:40 PM
Lots of RR props from our D players.
Box could move to middle linebacker this week as the Sooners look to replace their defensive leader.

“That’s a possibility,’’ said OU defensive coordinator Brent Venables. “I don’t know what we’re going to do.’’

OU head coach Bob Stoops said moving Box to the middle is an option for the Sooners.

Brandon Crow played in the middle in the second half. Stoops said he wouldn’t use a player like Box in the middle in the game without him practicing at the position.
Inside linebacker Travis Lewis said he was heartbroken when he learned his friend and teammate was lost for the season.

“It was tough not having him out there,’’ Lewis said. “Not having him out there takes away from our defense because he brings so much to us. He’s an outstanding leader. Somebody is going to have to step up. It gives someone else on the team an opportunity to step up and make plays.’’

Defensive tackle Gerald McCoy was emotional about Reynolds as well.

“It does hurt your defense, but we’ll regroup,’’ he said. “Honestly, I’m more worried about Ryan mentally and how he’s doing than how it affects our defense.’’

McCoy said the Sooners will miss Reynolds’ leadership, experience and playcalling. Cornerback Brian Jackson said the Sooners missed Reynolds’ leadership, particularly when a big play was needed.

“We appreciate everything he does for us,’’ Jackson said. “We’re behind him and hope he’s OK. We need somebody to do what he does. He makes plays. We have a lot of talent. Somebody will step in and take his place.’’

Dan Thompson
10/12/2008, 02:39 PM
It never made any sense to me why he did not start wearing a knee brace LAST year and also this year.

KingDavid
10/12/2008, 03:27 PM
At first I didnt think it was that big of a deal to lose him but gotta give texas credit for pickin on the backup

I'll echo the earlier comment: losing RR would be like losing Bradford or Cooper X2 on the offense. When it happened, I turned to my brother (a horn) and told him that it was a HUGE deal and that I couldn't think of a worse thing to happen to put the game in jeopardy for us.

I think we have a HUGE question mark about our defense for the rest of year. Somebody said something about Jeremy Beal at MLB. That's preposterous. There's no question in my mind that it will be Box.

The real question to me is why Box had not gotten ANY reps at all at that position. We already had a decent back-up in Balogun for Lewis. We clearly needed more depth @ MLB.

You could make a case that losing Reynolds cost us 21 points. The touchdown in the back of the endzone was caught in his zone. The long pass to Shipley (to the 1/2 yardline) was his coverage. And the missed "fit" on the Ogbonayaabanayabonga was his gap - I'm pretty sure.

Makes me feel so dern mad I don't know what to do with myself!:mad:

Desert Sapper
10/12/2008, 05:27 PM
Good points, King David. Couple all that with the fact that he wasn't playing the same for about a quarter and a half after he tweaked it, and you're looking at the majority of the game. Apparently you can't just sub in Middle Backers any more than you can QBs. The D needs a leader to step up and it needs that leader RIGHT NOW.

CaliBornSoonerBred
10/12/2008, 06:20 PM
Nic Harris or Lendy Holmes need to step up as the veteran leadership on the D now. I like the idea of a 4-2-5 but it changes our whole defensive scheme so its impossible to implement mid season.
Prayers for RR through this tough time. But one thing I do NOT understand at all is why he wasn't wearing any kind of brace. I blew my knee out last year(ironically within a few weeks of RR) and I always use a brace to feel more stable when playing any sport. I just think the trainers should have put a brace with minimal restrictions on his knees. Always easy to second guess after the fact.
Also, how much class does Gerald McCoy have?! His quotes on RR are an amazing testament to him as a young man and his quotes are always classy. Top it off that he's an amazing football player but he's a good guy in general .

Newbomb Turk
10/12/2008, 06:25 PM
I like the idea of a 4-2-5 but it changes our whole defensive scheme so its impossible to implement mid season.

John Blake could run 3 different offensive schemes in one game.

Curly Bill
10/12/2008, 06:54 PM
I like the idea of a 4-2-5 but it changes our whole defensive scheme so its impossible to implement mid season.

It's not impossible, though it's usually not advised. Having watched yesterday's game I don't see what we have to lose.

Of course I'm fairly certain that BV doesn't know any other scheme.

IronHorseSooner
10/12/2008, 06:58 PM
Maybe I missed something, but what happened to the two JUCOs we got for LB? I thought Balogun was the back-up.

sooneron
10/12/2008, 08:36 PM
My heart goes out to the kid.

Soonerus
10/12/2008, 08:39 PM
My heart goes out to the kid.

He is a great candidate for the Don Key award this year...it would make a nice ending...

ousooners182
10/12/2008, 08:42 PM
i thought it was only for seniors but maybe since this is his 4th year on campus they will make an exception

tulsaoilerfan
10/12/2008, 10:05 PM
John Blake could run 3 different offensive schemes in one game.

U meant one quarter i'm sure:D

tulsaoilerfan
10/12/2008, 10:06 PM
i thought it was only for seniors but maybe since this is his 4th year on campus they will make an exception

Far as i know it's only for Seniors

Boomer.....
10/14/2008, 02:09 PM
Sooners will ask for hardship for injured LB Reynolds

NORMAN, Okla. (AP) -- Oklahoma football coach Bob Stoops says OU will ask the NCAA for a medical hardship for linebacker Ryan Reynolds.

Reynolds is out for the year after tearing an ACL in Saturday's loss to Texas.

Reynolds is a junior and the injury is his third major knee injury but Stoops says he expects him to try to return to football.

The fourth-ranked Sooners host 16th-ranked Kansas Saturday.

CK Sooner
10/14/2008, 02:17 PM
That hardship would be incredible to get.

Poor guy deserves it.

KRYPTON
10/14/2008, 03:20 PM
I'm not sure when it happened, but according to the Tulsa World article, it was in the 3rd quarter on Texas' second offensive possession when a fat *** Whorn lineman fell on him; interesting thing is they never showed a replay on the broadcast of what exacly happened;did anyone see the play?

From section 3 I had a good view of it and was actually focused on what happened. He was coming up from behind the play and I think it was a UT player who had just come off a block, was out of control after blocking someone on the run, just barely fell on Reynolds' legs from behind as he himself fell over and sent Reynolds skidding knees-down. I immediately thought "ooh that'll hurt a bit" but then he didn't get up right away.

Just one of those unfortunate things.

A Horn
10/14/2008, 03:25 PM
So sorry to hear this. When we were watching the game, and he started limping around, Kirk Herbfail said he had already suffered multiple knee injuries prior to this. Made me sick to my stomach.

Any player that can get recruited by Stoops on D likely has great potential, and it pains me to hear the D captain, a well liked guy with big things in his future, would have this happen to him.

Get well, Ryan

Desert Sapper
10/15/2008, 12:02 AM
I would love to see Ryan get a second shot at his Junior year. He was finally living up to all that awesome potential.