PDA

View Full Version : Hurry up and allow the defense to get set offense

SoonerObsession
10/11/2008, 03:04 PM
Is this game any different if we actually force Texas to be unsettled on defense? It worked beautifully the first half, then all of a sudden we stop pressing. I understand that you want to check into a play that works well against the alignment you are seeing, but it seems like attacking them when they are not ready is as good a play as any. Not that our offense lost this game or anything.

FlatheadSooner
10/11/2008, 03:08 PM
Is this game any different if we actually force Texas to be unsettled on defense? It worked beautifully the first half, then all of a sudden we stop pressing. I understand that you want to check into a play that works well against the alignment you are seeing, but it seems like attacking them when they are not ready is as good a play as any. Not that our offense lost this game or anything.

Agree. We seemed to have lost any momentum we had in 1st half and we became discombobulated and trying to overthink the calls. Just keeping them on their heels was working in OUr favor.

:(

SoonerObsession
10/11/2008, 03:11 PM
How much of that is Sam's call? Can he just go forward with a play, or does he have to check the sideline?

The Maestro
10/11/2008, 03:12 PM
That is a great post!

OU had 67 plays. 39 pass plays. 379 yards passing.

28 rush plays for 48 yards rushing.

KW was SO predictable in trying to establish the run.

Our "catching" running backs are Manny, JI, Jermaine and Broyles...IGNORE running plays.

I sure would have loved to have time back from wasted running plays in the last few minutes...

39 pass plays...379 yards.

28 running plays...48 yards.

You tell me what there was to figure out?

How does our QB throw for 5 TD's and 379 yards and our OC call such a lousy game?

IronHorseSooner
10/11/2008, 03:20 PM
Great observation. Our best running plays were the middle screens to DM, Manny, and Broyles. I was really frustrated upon seeing them run the ball into the line several times. On the drive before their last TD, we had a manageable 2nd and 4, but ran it into the line. I thought those days were over, guess not.

bluedogok
10/11/2008, 03:26 PM
Time to ignore the "conventional" run offense, this is a passing team, the o-line are pass blockers and not run blockers. You run if you have an AD, and there isn't one in the backfield. As IronHorse stated, the inside screens are basically a running play.

BUT, the offense isn't the problem, the defense is.

tulsaoilerfan
10/11/2008, 03:38 PM
The thing i don't get is why Wilson continues to try to force the run in non-running situations, such as second and 10; look at how many times we throw incomplete on first down, then we come back with a run on second that gains 1 or 2 yards; if Sam wasn't such a great QB, our offense wouldn't have scored 2 TD's today with the playcalling

tulsaoilerfan
10/11/2008, 03:39 PM
Time to ignore the "conventional" run offense, this is a passing team, the o-line are pass blockers and not run blockers. You run if you have an AD, and there isn't one in the backfield. As IronHorse stated, the inside screens are basically a running play.

BUT, the offense isn't the problem, the defense is.

The offense not being able to consistently gain 4-5 yards a carry IS a problem,and i don't know why Brown isn't the one getting the bulk of the carries when we do run; he seems to be the only one capable of running the ball this year

bluedogok
10/11/2008, 03:47 PM
IF they get into a passing all the time mindset, the running game will open up. It is all about getting into the heads of the defense, if you show no intention to run they will start playing for pass instead of stacking the line for the predictable first down run. People don;t play against the Tech offense looking for the run but Shannon Woods had has a good year running because they are worried about Crabtree and have the reputation as passing first. OU has a run first mentality and the defenses know that they are going to try and establish a run game. Every time they ran first they got behind schedule. Until you change the defensive mindset against you, the running game is going to fail because it just isn't good this season.

JLEW1818
10/11/2008, 03:50 PM
IT was 14-3, if we stop Texas and not let them get the kickoff return, the game is over. Because I think we Score. We gave them to many chances.

bluedogok
10/11/2008, 03:55 PM
That is for sure, the kickoff coverage has been absolutely horrible this season.

The Maestro
10/11/2008, 03:58 PM
if

IF my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

I can't stop repeating. 379 yards passing. 5 TD's. And lose by 10.

JLEW1818
10/11/2008, 04:18 PM
IF my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

I can't stop repeating. 379 yards passing. 5 TD's. And lose by 10.

I agree, obviously the defense. We had chances to end the game in the first half.

bluedogok
10/11/2008, 04:21 PM
I think that may be part of the problem, they have played too many games that were over in the first quarter. This team hasn't seemed to be able to play a complete four quarter game in a long, long time. They go into to many "lulls" and let others back into the game.

OUTromBoNado
10/11/2008, 04:24 PM
Yup, that was my big beef. I don't understand why we quit pressing. I remember my dad, who is a huge Okla. St fan, yelling at the TV a couple of years ago when OSU unveiled their no-huddle and all it was was them lining up, standing up, and getting the play from the sideline. He would say, "This sh*t is not a no-huddle offense!"

I would laugh and say, "Sure, it is. You don't see them huddling do you?" I'm not really laughing now. I thought the biggest point of our no-huddle was to run it as a hurry up. That's what we've been doing most of the season, until now.

Kind of reminds me of that drive in the Sugar Bowl when we were owning LSU with the run, get into the endzone, and suddenly abandon it for the pass and fail to score.