PDA

View Full Version : My Take On The Game

CK Sooner
10/11/2008, 02:57 PM
The interception call was one of the worst I have seen in a long time, but that's not the only reason we lost. Special teams play is horrible, after that kick return they did get better throughout the game, but it was to late. We tried to put pressure on McCoy and it worked to some point, but he ended up tearing us up through the air. They had no running game and neither did we. Our secondary needs work, I think that is pretty obvious. Dominique gave up a few plays, but others did too. Our offensive line played pretty decent I though. Defensive line didn't play to its potential, Gerald played like a beast like usual and even Granger got to play, I didn't hear his name called at all though. I thought we played perfect on Offense, our defense killed us though.

I'm going to try to avoid this site until later tonight, so all the nOObs can vent out their frustrations on our coaches. Texas outplayed us today and i'm not going to give any excuses, or blame it on the play calling. We still have the rest of the season ahead of us, let's move on.

OUHOMER
10/11/2008, 03:04 PM
LOL your still a Noob:d

CK Sooner
10/11/2008, 03:09 PM

Yea, i'm the n00b.

:rolleyes:

okiewaker
10/11/2008, 03:10 PM
Did texas punt today?

CK Sooner
10/11/2008, 03:12 PM
Did texas punt today?

Yep.

I remember Broyles returning a couple.

IronHorseSooner
10/11/2008, 03:14 PM
The most critical plays in the game:

1. The KO return, for obvious reasons. It gave them momentum throughout the game. If they are stopped, the D had just stopped them before, and that might have been enough.

2. The fake punt. Good idea, just unlucky coming up a foot short.

3. The interception in the end zone. It was an interception. It gave them the lead, and, in the end, made it a 2 possession game. One of the worst calls I have seen. I left the room, and came back in to see them lining up for a FG, and wondered what happened. The fact that it wasn't even reviewed was astounding.

GrapevineSooner
10/11/2008, 03:25 PM
Well, we got away with a clear hold on that same play. I agree it should have been reviewed. But obviously it's not the reason we got lost.

And I know the KO return for TD is a popular choice for turning point of the game. But our offense came right back and got that TD back on the next possession. What killed us was allowing Colt and the Horns drive back down, take a bunch of time off the clock, and get back in the game.

Up to that point, our defense had shut them down on two consecutive possessions. When they had the chance to 'hold serve' after our offense scored to either make it an 11 point game, 8 point game, or 5 point game, we just didn't get the job done.

In face, our defense allowed Texas to get points after every one of our TD's today. That's certainly not championship caliber.

aero
10/11/2008, 03:32 PM
Agree, IH. Don't like complaining about bad calls but those ruffin' the passer were weak but a lot of games have them on both teams I suppose. The fake punt would have been genius if it had worked. It sure caught me by surprise and I thought at the time maybe Bob was thinking the game was slipping away. Yes, it was an INT. Bad call and no review. I said awhile back the ST's were going to cost us and here it was. Well, contributed anyway. It was a tough game to lose. Both teams showed great effort. A shame about Reynolds. Didn't help losing him. The big difference between the two team, IMO, is we could not pressure Colt and they could pressure Sam. Orapko is a beast. Kindle had a big game. Our D was a bit discombobulated before and maybe moreso now w/o RR. If everybody gets healthy and in playing shape we could be o.k. Texas has a good team and any good team can beat another on any given day. Today was UT's day.

chad
10/11/2008, 04:05 PM
The most critical plays in the game:

1. The KO return, for obvious reasons. It gave them momentum throughout the game. If they are stopped, the D had just stopped them before, and that might have been enough.

2. The fake punt. Good idea, just unlucky coming up a foot short.

3. The interception in the end zone. It was an interception. It gave them the lead, and, in the end, made it a 2 possession game. One of the worst calls I have seen. I left the room, and came back in to see them lining up for a FG, and wondered what happened. The fact that it wasn't even reviewed was astounding.
The one I would add to that is the first roughing the passer call that extended texas' drive.

Those 4 things totally killed what momentum we had and were building.

Blaming the ref is easy, and it hurt for sure, but it wasn't what lost us the game.
Where I see it falling apart were the offside penalties, and then play calling. Defensive I have major issues with, Offensive I have just a few annoyances with.

okiewaker
10/11/2008, 04:06 PM
Yep.

I remember Broyles returning a couple.

Apparently not enuff.

okiewaker
10/11/2008, 04:14 PM
If I had thread privees I would ask the question,, is ou becoming soft?

CK Sooner
10/11/2008, 04:16 PM

Nope

Curly Bill
10/11/2008, 04:18 PM

soft = no

bad defensive schemes = yes

GrapevineSooner
10/11/2008, 04:21 PM

I don't think that's the issue here. Defense had Texas in plenty of third down situations. Especially late.

And they converted on 6 of the 13 in the game. Technically 6 for 12 since the last third down "stop" was after it was 45-35 and Texas was trying to run time off the clock.

That just boils down to not making plays.

okiewaker
10/11/2008, 04:30 PM
I don't think that's the issue here. Defense had Texas in plenty of third down situations. Especially late.

And they converted on 6 of the 13 in the game. Technically 6 for 12 since the last third down "stop" was after it was 45-35 and Texas was trying to run time off the clock.

That just boils down to not making plays.

Ok, just asking

OUHOMER
10/11/2008, 04:40 PM

CK Sooner
10/11/2008, 04:42 PM

I think it's the other way around to be honest with you.

:D

cheezyq
10/11/2008, 04:59 PM
Why we lost THIS game:

1. It's clear that RR was/is the heart/soul of this D. Without him, McCoy was unstoppable, and we gave up 2 huge plays in the run game.

2. Three momentum killing calls by the refs. The two ridiculous roughing the passer calls and the INT that wasn't called destroyed anything good we did defensively. I'm NOT saying that's why we lost, but you'd be an idiot to think that it didn't affect this particular game.

3. When are we ever going to learn to cover kicks this year? Again, it destroyed the momentum we had after our 2nd TD, and kept UT close. Our biggest asset this year is putting teams away before the half and cruising in the 2nd half. The return TD eliminated that single advantage.

4. We didn't even bother establishing the running game. I love the no huddle, but it's worthless when you don't get balance on offense. This offense today was like the CL offenses of 2003/4 where our only attempt at running the ball was out of the shotgun.

The saddest part about this is that the things we can control, we've covered before, rehashing them over and over. They are all correctable, but yet they still continue to happen. And I'm not one to claim conspiracy at every turn, but it sure seems that poor officiating plays a large part in quite a few of our recent losses.

SoonerJack
10/11/2008, 05:31 PM
Cheezyq brings up several good points.

aurorasooner
10/11/2008, 07:05 PM
Sometimes I think KW thinks too much calling audibles into the game before the the snap of the ball. I know he's called some gems against middle-of-the-pack DCs with average D talent but I've been wondering, as the game goes along if a quality, well-coached D doesn't PU on some of our audibles? Just wondering if we sometimes just go with the original play while Sam calls out meaningless audibles to confuse the defense, or each time is it always a play-change audible?
Does anyone know exactly how we call audibles? Is the same play audible exactly the same from play to play, series to series, game to game, even year to year?--where a defense can actually recognize it later, or is it more complicated, where the audible is a succession of numbers where only the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd is the key and the actual audible (or something more complicated than just using the same exact audible code for the same play, each time? I don't particularly like all the signals from bench to the QB after the OL sets and I would like to see the NCAA outlaw any further input from the sideline to the QB after the initial play call is sent in, and the offense sets.

Jock Ewing
10/12/2008, 12:02 AM
It is gay to complain about an interception call when your defender clearly held our TE on the play anyway. Had it been called properly we get a first down at the 2 yard line instead of a field goal. So we were the team screwed on that play, not you.

ProdigyDub
10/12/2008, 12:21 AM
I thought some bad calls went against OU today (mostly the 2 roughing calls), but nobody in this thread seems to care about the absolutely terrible Running into the Kicker call that eventually resulted in an OU TD.

pott_2
10/12/2008, 12:46 AM
Holy ****! I found the thread I was looking for. I got to watch my first game last night because the place I live hates CFB, America, and puppies. I did not like what I saw. That was 1/3 of a team. I thought the refs wer pac10ish but we lost that game on defense.

OklahomaRed
10/12/2008, 01:22 AM
Gresham needed to get his block on the fake punt.

Our kickoff team has been bad all year. You would think with the athletes we have we could fix that?

BoulderSooner79
10/12/2008, 01:46 AM
I thought some bad calls went against OU today (mostly the 2 roughing calls), but nobody in this thread seems to care about the absolutely terrible Running into the Kicker call that eventually resulted in an OU TD.

I didn't think the running into the kicker was a terrible call. I did think it was ticky-tack call and I certainly wouldn't have complained had the flag not been thrown. But I see similar plays called probably 50% of the time; refs seem to err on the side of the punter. There were questionable calls both ways, but I think overall OU got the short end of the stick. But it wasn't the main reason for the outcome.

SoonerShark
10/12/2008, 02:07 AM
We have not actually played that well in any second half. Maybe it was not cruise control, but it might have been a mindset of cruise control for five games that became a habit regardless of the level of competition.

VA Sooner
10/12/2008, 09:02 AM
Cheesyq made some great points... I agree with all of them.

Special teams still need a lot of work.

And our second halves have been lack-luster this season so far. Start out strong with the no-huddle but once teams figure that out (after the first quarter), they slow us down and find ways to get pressure on our QB.

nytehorn
10/12/2008, 02:14 PM
For the first time in the Brown/Stoops era, I saw OU being outcoached. OU, IMO, has better athletes, but couldn't get it done when smackdown time came. I totally expected Texas to fumble, or throw the int. No, it was OU. That is coaching. All are right; refs were horrendous, but many bad calls on both sides. Announcing was the ****s; they flip-flopped like politicians running for office. Great game, and fun to watch.