PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to stop going to Yahoo for scores/news etc in regards to sports...

BudSooner
10/10/2008, 08:42 AM
This guy is a DICKHEAD--
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news;_ylt=AoWmoc_dx6omWGa_TWUL1wQcvrYF?slug=jn-sooners-101008&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Choke-lahoma?

NORMAN, Okla. – A few days ago, upon learning that he’d been named Big 12 co-Defensive Player of the Week, Oklahoma linebacker Keenan Clayton made some peculiar comments to reporters covering the Sooners’ football team.
“If you watched the film that I watched, you wouldn’t have given it to me,” Clayton said. “I didn’t deserve it.”
Clayton’s reaction might have come as a surprise to some – but it hardly shocked coach Bob Stoops.
“Guys on this team want more,” Stoops said. “They’re more demanding. They expect more than they have in other years.”

So, too, do Oklahoma’s fans.
Not just of the Sooners, but of Stoops.
As has been the case so many times before, top-ranked Oklahoma will be a favorite to play for the national championship if it defeats rival No. 5 Texas in Saturday’s Red River Rivalry at the Cotton Bowl. Only now, instead of expecting the Sooners to flourish, crimson and cream partisans are just hoping they don’t flop.
Once known as “Big Game Bob,” Stoops’ reputation has taken some hits the past few years. He’s still one of the top coaches in the game, but folks these days are talking less about his five conference championships and more about his recent performance when it matters most.
A loss to Colorado last season kept Oklahoma out of the BCS title game and into the Fiesta Bowl, where it was embarrassed by West Virginia. The year before he was outcoached in a loss against Boise State.
Some were calling Oklahoma’s 2003 squad the best team in college history before it got walloped by Kansas State in the Big 12 Championship. A month later it lost to LSU in the BCS title game.
Stoops is 102-22 during his nine-plus seasons at Oklahoma. But he’s 4-5 in bowl games and just 2-4 in BCS bowls.
More and more, Sooners’ players said they’re teased about being “chokers.”
“We know what people are saying about us,” running back Mossis Madu said. “We hear jokes about it all the time. This year’s team wants to be different.”
Stoops and Oklahoma have the chance to be just that.
It’s too early to be certain, but those who follow the team closely have suggested that the 2008 squad may be Stoops’ best since he arrived in Norman in 1999.
Led by future first-round draft pick Duke Robinson, Oklahoma has one of the most imposing offensive lines in college football, and the defensive line isn’t far behind. Safety Nic Harris and receiver Juaquin Iglesias are both veterans and future pros, and – although they’re not Adrian Peterson – tailbacks DeMarco Murray and Chris Brown are combining to average 148 rushing yards a game.
The real difference-maker, though, is quarterback Sam Bradford, who is among the leading candidates for the Heisman Trophy despite being only a sophomore. A second-year starter, Bradford ranks No. 2 in the nation in pass efficiency. He’s thrown 18 touchdowns and only three interceptions.
Oklahoma won a national championship with Josh Heupel in 2001 and finished second with Heisman winner Jason White two years later. But in terms of sheer talent, never in the Stoops’ era have the Sooners had a QB this good.
The thought is that Bradford will have his way with Texas’ mediocre pass defense Saturday, when we could also see the Sooners unveil some wrinkles they haven’t shown in their 5-0 start.
“We need (to win) a game like this and six or seven others,” Stoops said this week. “Then you guys can decide whether we’re any good or not.”
A victory over the Longhorns on Saturday would almost certainly set up a dramatic finish. The Sooners probably won’t be challenged again until Texas Tech visits Norman on Nov. 22. A week later they travel to Stillwater to face Oklahoma State in the regular-season finale.
But, again, it all starts Saturday. Stoops is 6-3 against Texas but, true to form, he’s lost to Mack Brown twice in the past three seasons.
“We can’t ever get too confident about where we’re at,” defensive end Auston English said. “It’d be exciting to beat the No. 5 team, but even if we do win, it’s not like anyone is going to crown us champion.”
Of course they won’t.
Lately, at least, people seem to know better.

Jason King is an ***, who drools over usc's jock...fellating Carroll even.

1890MilesToNorman
10/10/2008, 08:43 AM
I saw that too and it pissed me off big time!

bonkuba
10/10/2008, 08:52 AM
I read this several times and I don't really have a problem with it if I step back a bit. If you try and look from the outside we have not done well at all in bowl games, etc in the last few years.

I am glad to read that the team wants more........very proud of them for that.

BOOMER SOONER!!!

1890MilesToNorman
10/10/2008, 08:55 AM
What irritated me was the large photo of Stoops with the large caption "Choke-Lahoma" above it, I clicked on the link and it took me to a completely different story.

BudSooner
10/10/2008, 08:57 AM
Yeah, it's not as if after the Oregon state game that there was a headline that says "You can't spell SUCK without USC" in it.
Or something like that, blah!

tbl
10/10/2008, 08:59 AM
The title sucks, but the article is pretty fair.

BornandBred
10/10/2008, 09:09 AM
As much as it pains me to read this article, I'm glad it was written. Oklahoma has a history of resting on their laurels when hyped up, it's true. But, as the underdog, we seem to consistently out perform. This article is great because it's a locker room motivational piece. Let this guy chin-tickle USC's scrotem all he wants, as long as it makes us play with fire.

BOOMER!!

Widescreen
10/10/2008, 09:31 AM
He’s still one of the top coaches in the game, but folks these days are talking less about his five conference championships and more about his recent performance when it matters most.
This is the main comment I had a problem with. Conference championships are way more important to me than Fiesta Bowl wins. It's great to win your bowl game, but the only one that REALLY matters is the BCS championship game.

auto
10/10/2008, 09:45 AM

Pretty much have to agree.

boomermagic
10/10/2008, 10:09 AM

Agreed !

CincySooner
10/10/2008, 10:11 AM
ok, color me confused... what about that article makes him a USC homer?

A-M
10/10/2008, 10:30 AM
ok, color me confused... what about that article makes him a USC homer?

Got me. Even though I really don't like some of what he had to say, it really is the truth. Just glad to hear that the players are ready to change how everyone looks at us because they expect themselves to be better and not "choke" at the end of the season. I'll go for this.

bonkuba
10/10/2008, 12:06 PM
What irritated me was the large photo of Stoops with the large caption "Choke-Lahoma" above it, I clicked on the link and it took me to a completely different story.

I didn't click on the link......saw it now.....agreed.

Jason White's Third Knee
10/10/2008, 12:16 PM
Only now, instead of expecting the Sooners to flourish, crimson and cream partisans are just hoping they don’t flop.

I am not worried about that in this game. Ok, in the bowl game, yes.

We lost by 7 to LSU, we skip a year, we lost to a good Boist St. (over blown), and we lost big to WV. The skipped year and the last one sucked, but other than that, it's no biggie.

Sucks, but not gonna ruin my life. That's up to the a-hole we elect next month.

sooner2b09
10/10/2008, 12:46 PM
Jason King is an ***, who drools over usc's jock...fellating Carroll even.

Him and Cowherd should hook up