PDA

View Full Version : I'll Order the Red River Rivalry, Please!

OU_Sooners75
10/10/2008, 06:32 AM
My latest Blog entry at my website.

Let me know what you all think.

http://www.talkncaasports.com/index.php?q=RRSO

Be kind, I am only pretending to be a writer.

For many reasons, when the second Saturday of every October rolls around, things can not get any better. There are state fairs. There is the Major League Playoffs. The NBA is starting up with pre-season games. The NHL is beginning its season as well. The NFL is in full swing. But the best part of the greatest day of October is watching the Red River Shootout.

Yes I said the Red River Shootout. The official name may be Red River Rivalry, but this game will always be the RRSO to me.

Before and after the game, you have the Texas State Fair. A State Fair does not get better than this one. Corny Dogs, Funnel Cakes, food on a stick. You name the edible food, and you can probably find it on a stick at this fair. But this all fails in comparison to the main attraction of the fair. That is the game between two traditionally rich football programs, the Oklahoma Sooners vs. the Texas Longhorns.

There are not many rivalry games in ANY sport that can compare to this setting. A neutral field, half way between Norman, OK and Austin TX, better known as the Cotton Bowl. Half the stadium is wearing the Crimson and Cream team colors of the Sooners. The other half, is wearing the Burnt Orange of the Longhorns. Instead of the traditional split occurring halfway through the end zone seats, this one does the split of colors at the 50 yard line.

The hardware is a Golden Cowboy Hat. The victor not only receives this very beautiful trophy, they also pose for a team photo in front of the scoreboard.

Players such as Earl Campbell, Billy Sims, Vince Young, and Adrian Peterson have all played in this game. Coaches such as Darrell K. Royal, Bud Wilkinson, and Barry Switzer have coached teams to victory in this storied rivalry.

What is at stake? Since 2000, the winner of this game has had the inside track to the Big 12 South title. This year, the victor will also have an inside track to Miami, FL for the National Championship Game. The 2008 rendition will be between top 5 teams, #1 Oklahoma and #5 Texas and is shaping up to be the game of the year.

While the nation watches in splendid sight, the Oklahoma and Texas fans will be biting fingernails, going crazy with enthusiasm, and wondering, just how good is their respective team.

You can have the Iron Bowl (Auburn vs. Alabama), The Civil War (Oregon State vs. Oregon), The Apple Cup (Washington vs. Washington State). You can keep USC vs. Notre Dame, Michigan vs. Ohio State, and Army vs. Navy. I will order the greatest rivalry of them all or at least the most significant one of the 2008 season, The Red River Rivalry, please!

BermudaSooner
10/10/2008, 07:06 AM
Well done, good read.

OU_Sooners75
10/10/2008, 07:27 AM
Well done, good read.

Thanks

sooneron
10/10/2008, 07:31 AM
Nice and concise.

sooneron
10/10/2008, 07:37 AM
No offense, Greg, but I think I just "used" my 20k post for your thread. Can I please have it back? :O

Newbomb Turk
10/10/2008, 07:49 AM
It would be nice if you could take all 20k back.

;)

sooneron
10/10/2008, 07:58 AM
stalker

Jason White's Third Knee
10/10/2008, 08:02 AM
Cut you so low, you have to look up to look down.

olevetonahill
10/10/2008, 08:04 AM
It would be nice if you could take all 20k back.

;)

Heres him cake to go with em LOL
http://maxgrace.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/cake.jpg