PDA

View Full Version : How sad...

Sooner_Havok
10/10/2008, 12:15 AM
Some ****** bag over at sports illustrated thinks Stoops was to mean to little ole' Rhett.

link (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/austin_murphy/10/09/bomar.oklahoma/index.html?eref=T1)

Really, you think that anyone is going to feel sorry for him? :confused:

I am willing to bet that this dip **** would have whined and cried about OU being dirty if we had let the idiot stay.

(Since ****** bag is a censored word round these parts, I think we should have a smiley of this guy to represent it. He sure looks the part. http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.element/img/4.0/global/writer_headshots/austin_murphy.jpg)

Dio
10/10/2008, 07:23 AM
Could someone cut & paste that? I refuse to go to their site.

TIA

boomermagic
10/10/2008, 08:03 AM
Well, I have never liked SI but I hope Bomar does well..

Salt City Sooner
10/10/2008, 08:14 AM
One of the first things people told Rhett Bomar when he got to Huntsville, Texas: Don't pick up hitchhikers.

Situated in the Piney Woods, 70 miles north of Houston, Huntsville is the location of Sam Houston State, Bomar's second college. It's also home to eight prisons, including what was for many years the nation's busiest execution chamber. The Longhorns may boast only the fifth-ranked team in college football this week, but when it comes to capital punishment, Texans can proudly boast, "We're No. 1!"

Biblical scholars refer to Adam and Eve's original sin as a "fortunate fall." Many Sooners fans feel the same way about Rhett Bomar's sudden, stunning plunge from grace two years and three months ago. Bomar's exit led, indirectly, to the ascent of Sam Bradford, the supremely gifted redshirt sophomore quarterback who has led the Sooners back to No. 1.

While Texas and OU kick it off at 11 a.m. in the Cotton Bowl this Saturday, Sam Houston's game against Central Arkansas "isn't until six," notes Bomar, now in his second season starting for the I-AA Bearkats. "Sure, I'll probably flip through [the channels] and see how they're doing. It doesn't really bother me. I don't really think about it anymore."

Of course he catches plenty of Big 12 football on the tube. No, he can't help thinking, he admits, "I should be playing there, things like that. But, honestly, I put that out of my head. I've realized that part of my life's over, it's done with. I'm not gonna play there anymore, and I need to focus now on my teammates here, and winning here."

It is grimly appropriate that Bomar should have ended up plying his trade in "Prison City." He never committed a felony, but, looking back on the swiftness with which he was booted from the Oklahoma program in August of 2006, one wonders if he might as well have.

Bomar was a redshirt sophomore and the Sooners' returning starter at quarterback that summer. But he never made it to two-a-days. A University investigation revealed that Bomar and offensive lineman J.D. Quinn had held down no-show jobs at a Norman car dealership. While as many as two dozen OU football players had been employed at the dealership over the previous four years, according to published reports, only Bomar and Quinn were busted. Only those two were disciplined. And that discipline was draconian.

For purposes of comparison, remember that this was on the eve of the 2006 season, in which Troy Smith would lead Ohio State the BCS title game, winning the Heisman in the process. Left unmentioned on the stage at the Nokia Theater the night he accepted that award was the fact that, two years earlier, Smith had accepted $500 from a booster, causing head coach Jim Tressel to ... suspend him for two games.

I bring that up not to demean Smith, who obviously learned from his mistake, but to use it as a frame of reference. Here's another. Bomar's ill-gotten gains, the NCAA later reckoned, came in at some $7,400. Even as he was packing his bags, USC was in Defcon 3 over the status of Dwayne Jarrett, who'd been declared ineligible for receiving "extra benefits" totaling some $18,000 -- the amount of free rent he'd received from the father of a teammate. Since Jarrett had been chipping in $650 a month to defray the cost of his and Matt Leinart's $3,866-per-month lease, the All-American receiver thought everything was on the level. The NCAA ruled that, in this case, ignorance was an excuse. Jarrett's eligibility was restored.

Bomar, for his part, was called into the office of head coach Bob Stoops and kicked off the team. There was no talk of suspensions or probation or second chances, just Old Testament justice. He was gone. That's how Stoops rolls. I don't fault him for that, although it did seem like piling on a few weeks later when the head coach put a figurative boot in Bomar's backside, telling reporters that the young man who'd been on track to be a four-year starter for him was, in retrospect, no great loss: "The truth is we lost a guy who finished the year with 10 interceptions and 10 touchdowns. It isn't like you lose (ex-Heisman winner) Jason White who had maybe 40 touchdowns and seven interceptions. Now that's different."

Asked if he was guilty as charged, Bomar says, "To an extent, yeah." In the same breath, he insists that his malfeasance was "not as bad as everybody tried to make it out to be." He elaborates: "Nobody knows the whole deal, and I'm not gonna get into all that. It's just a lot of stuff that went on that nobody knows about. But, yeah, we made mistakes, and I guess had to suffer the consequences."

Despite the harshness of the penalty, "I didn't go out and rat anybody out or talk or anything like that, I just kind of moved on with my life."

That statement -- "I didn't go out and rat anybody out" -- strongly implies that one or more of his teammates went unpunished. Asked to elaborate, he responded with a polite no-comment. "I'm not gonna get into that one. I'm happy now, and it's going good."

Bomar called me Wednesday afternoon. He'd just finished classes, and was on his way to meetings to prepare for Central Arkansas. The Bearkats are 2-1, coming off a 49-33 win over Gardner-Webb in which Bomar threw for five touchdowns and ran for another. For this performance, he was named a College Sporting News National All-Star, as well as Southland Conference Offensive Player of the week.

He's already passed for 10 touchdowns this season -- equaling his total from '07, when he was knocked out in the ninth game with a torn ACL in his left knee. After that, he had to sit back and watch as backup Brett Hicks rallied the team to victory against Texas State-San Marcos. That smarted because, as Bomar noted, it was Sam Houston's sole TV game of the season.

Are any of Oklahoma's games not televised? That is just one more measure of the distance he had fallen; from Division I to I-AA; from 82,000-seat Memorial Stadium to 14,000-seat Bower Stadium.

Bounced from the big-time, the 6-foot-2, 215-pound, dual-threat signal-caller had at least one D-I option. There was interest from Houston, then coached by highly regarded Art Briles, an old friend of Jerry Bomar, Rhett's father and high school coach at Grand Prairie (Tex.) High. He took the I-AA path, unwilling to sit out a "transfer year."

His hope, in coming to Sam Houston, was that he might salvage half of his sophomore season. But the wheels of NCAA justice ground slowly. The NCAA needed info from Oklahoma, whose gumshoes, in Bomar's view, "dragged their feet a little bit ... they took it really slow, cause they really didn't care about us."

In the end he was ruled ineligible for the entire season. "I kept hoping all season, and then they just shot it down. It was kind of a rough fall."

These days, he says, his life is good. He sounds happy, if a bit jaded. Yes, his goal is to play in the NFL. Scouts, he says, are "coming through every week, and the feeback's good. I'm hoping to just go out, have a good year, and things will be all right for me."

I had a final question before I let him go. If he happens to have the Texas-OU game on, would he be pulling for one team or another? He unleashed his longest laugh of the interview.

"Yeah," he replied, "Maybe one way or the other. But I'm not gonna tell you which way."

The truth is, he doesn't have to.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/austin_murphy/10/09/bomar.oklahoma/index.html?eref=T1

OUDoc
10/10/2008, 08:17 AM
Meh.
Weak story.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/10/2008, 09:00 AM
The same ****** bag would have been screaming bloody murder if OU would have been lenient as he suggests that we should have been. Then if the two had stayed, he would have been screaming for the death penalty for OU becuase Quinn had his alcohol arrests. The dude is the true meaning of the word - I like the idea of a smiley...

Widescreen
10/10/2008, 09:39 AM
"Nobody knows the whole deal, and I'm not gonna get into all that. It's just a lot of stuff that went on that nobody knows about. But, yeah, we made mistakes, and I guess had to suffer the consequences."
Doesn't sound like Bomar's taken responsibility. I guess he's never going to. Didn't Quinn say something like "what's the big deal? It's not like I killed anybody." Sheesh.

BudSooner
10/10/2008, 09:41 AM
Since he doesn't listen well, Rhett.... watch your cornhole. :D

olevetonahill
10/10/2008, 09:49 AM
Can we let this subject die? Its over, its done . Let it go .

OUmillenium
10/10/2008, 09:58 AM
No mention of Brett's other off the field situations? It's not like this was a 1 mistake deal. He was already in the doghouse so to speak. But we were still counting on him to be the starter up until the Big Red sports fiasco.

soonerx
10/10/2008, 10:04 AM
I like the idea of a smiley...

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/172/austinmurphyxg3.gif :dooshbag:

OUthunder
10/10/2008, 10:05 AM
No mention of Brett's other off the field situations? It's not like this was a 1 mistake deal. He was already in the doghouse so to speak. But we were still counting on him to be the starter up until the Big Red sports fiasco.

Exactly. He thought he was above the rules and Stoops showed him that he wasn't.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/10/2008, 10:09 AM
Enter the Ebony Ninja Assassin. Add another Big XII Championship trophy to the glass case. Realize the greatness inherent in those contributing to the Sooner tradition. Find a hero in #12. Business as usual.

No big whoop.

humblesooner
10/10/2008, 10:09 AM
When people try and beat up Bob about the harshness of this event, they never want to get to the one sole reason that Bomar and Quinn were booted.
Bob asked Bomar and Quinn if the story coming out was true (I believe it was in April) and both told him that there was no truth to the story. Bob took them at their word.
It was later proven that the allegations were true.
Bomar and Quinn were NOT booted for the BRS fiasco.
They were booted for lying to Coach Stoops when he confronted them.

I sincerely believe that if both had admitted the wrong doings when Bob asked them (as did Troy Smith at tOSU), they would both still be on this team and the punishment would have been a __ game suspension.
I think Bob was furious that they lied to him and did not want that known element on the team.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
10/10/2008, 10:10 AM
Eff Bomar and this guy!

Dio
10/10/2008, 12:53 PM
Just as I suspected

badger
10/10/2008, 01:29 PM
brett romar thoughts of the day:

We all know he did something wrong, but the difference is that he doesn't think he wrong doings were in line with the punishment. For his athletic career and future pro prospects, which he seems to mull a lot, in retrospect he should have transferred to another Div. 1 school, because he would have had to sit out a year regardless. Better yet, he shouldn't have broken the rules and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I think that what upsets the Bomar family the most is that his career path from high school recruiting to college to the NFL was so carefully planned by Jerry Bomar, Rhett's father. It was all going according to Jerry's plans - Rhett was the No. 1 quarterback prospect in the country in high school - until Rhett had to follow daddy's instructions away from his careful guard. Granted, daddy was around a lot to watch his son's development and coaching and seemed to have far more influence than the OU coaches on his son (Cue Heupel frustration from RB's constant taking hits for trying to run instead of throwing the ball away), but yet, there were those moments when RB was away from daddy's careful watch.

When daddy's let their sheltered daughters go, they get preggers. RB's a dude, however, so he got drunk underage and since RB was also a studly starting QB, he also got cash from boosters.

I think that more than anything else, that bothers the Bomar clan to this day that RB didn't follow the perfectly laid out plan. Now RB is once again trying to follow his father's formula to get to the NFL, but it might be too late. The most perfectly planned national media interviews on ESPN and SI won't get him back his huge fanbase and national television playing time every week.

Yes, it is sad how things have turned out for a promising young athlete and how repeated youthful mistakes can ruin his life (much like daddy's girl getting preggers would), but it serves as a lesson to the rest of the athletes out there: Don't eff up. It could effect the rest of your life.

sooner518
10/10/2008, 01:42 PM
Despite the harshness of the penalty, "I didn't go out and rat anybody out or talk or anything like that, I just kind of moved on with my life."

That statement -- "I didn't go out and rat anybody out" -- strongly implies that one or more of his teammates went unpunished. Asked to elaborate, he responded with a polite no-comment. "I'm not gonna get into that one. I'm happy now, and it's going good."

Either give some info or STFU. sheesh, what a d00cherocket

Boomer_Sooner_sax
10/10/2008, 02:15 PM
Either give some info or STFU. sheesh, what a d00cherocket

Exacty, plus I get tired of reading about him everytime we have a big game. Who cares, he isn't with OU anymore, quit writing stories about it. All you are doing is giving him an audience for his BS and bleeding heart!

Stoop Dawg
10/10/2008, 02:51 PM
Didn't all of his teammates have to vacate their wins for the entire season because of his actions? And he's having a pity party for himself?

olevetonahill
10/10/2008, 03:06 PM
Didn't all of his teammates have to vacate their wins for the entire season because of his actions? And he's having a pity party for himself?

Nope OU appealed and Won .

Blitzkrieg
10/10/2008, 03:07 PM
Please ride off into obscurity asap bomar.

Stoop Dawg
10/10/2008, 03:22 PM
Nope OU appealed and Won .

Fantastic.

I guess I should have known that, but I never "vacated" anything in my book so it really didn't matter to me.

Point remains - Bomar is responsible for his own actions.

olevetonahill
10/10/2008, 03:29 PM
Fantastic.

I guess I should have known that, but I never "vacated" anything in my book so it really didn't matter to me.

Point remains - Bomar is responsible for his own actions.

Yup
And Like has been said IF he knows anything I wish he'd just up ans say it and let the Chips fall where they may .

DarrellZero
10/10/2008, 03:54 PM
Can you believe we're still talking about this crap?

Meanwhile, the clock ticks on the USC case. Unbelievable.

Leroy Lizard
10/10/2008, 08:52 PM
While as many as two dozen OU football players had been employed at the dealership over the previous four years, according to published reports, only Bomar and Quinn were busted. Only those two were disciplined. And that discipline was draconian.

Correct if I'm wrong, but I don't think being employed at Big Red is in itself a violation.

Wishboned
10/10/2008, 09:03 PM
Enter the Ebony Ninja Assassin. Add another Big XII Championship trophy to the glass case. Realize the greatness inherent in those contributing to the Sooner tradition. Find a hero in #12. Business as usual.

No big whoop.

It's the difference between being a character, and having character.

PLaw
10/10/2008, 11:02 PM
Bingo! this has grown extremely tired. Rhett screwed up, paid the price, the Sooners have moved on, and so should any media mouse that thinks it still worth a story. History has proved that BOB WAS RIGHT.

BOOMER

StoopTroup
10/10/2008, 11:08 PM
If you aren't strict enough the NCAA hammers you and if your to strict SI will write a whiney story for one of your ex-players?

I'll let SI write whatever they want...they don't run ****.