10/9/2008, 06:24 PM
"It's a great day for hockey."

--Badger Bob

John Kochtoston
10/10/2008, 12:14 AM
Way to celebrate the Banner, Detroit.

Scott D
10/10/2008, 10:30 AM
two teams we always have trouble with no matter how bad they get. Chicago and Toronto.

Mixer!
10/10/2008, 11:41 AM
Well, another season of disappointment comes to the Gateway City. :(

SoonerStormchaser
10/10/2008, 12:36 PM
I just bought NHL Center Ice last night...now I get to watch every single ****ing Carolina Hurricanes game from now til I deploy!

GrapevineSooner
10/15/2008, 10:22 PM
Fabian Brunnstrom became just the third NHL'er ever to register a hat trick in his NHL debut.

Which means just like Brad Richards and his 5 assists in his Stars debut last year, we're going to expect this out of him every game. :D

Scott D
10/16/2008, 11:02 AM
I have no idea who told you to keep an eye on Brunnstrom....no idea at all ;)

SoonerStormchaser
10/20/2008, 08:02 PM
Stars looking kinda crappy so far (except they're currently beating the Rangers 2-1 at MSG)...

...at least my Canes are kicking some ***.

HoserSooner
10/21/2008, 11:10 AM
It's going to be a very long year for the Buds.

Opening night against Detroit, we were trying to figure out who the players were....there has been such house cleaning, that only 8-9 players from last year remain.

The rookie defenceman Schenn though, is for real. Kid is only 18, and he plays like he's 30. Not afraid to drop the mits too, which is about the only highlights available to a Leaf fan this year.

Oh yeah....anybody want Jason Blake for $4 mil a season?

GrapevineSooner
10/21/2008, 11:14 AM
I have no idea who told you not to sign Blake at $4 million...no idea at all ;)

But I do know who told me about that Brunnstrom kid. :D

Lott's Bandana
10/21/2008, 11:20 AM
Sadly, hockey had been meh for me for many years after being a huge fan for most of my life.

Last year's Cup Final got me going again...

Still, it is hard for me to follow what's happening while entrenched in a Sooners' football season and completely not smacking into hockey on my TV whilst I surf channels...

Keep this thread going fellas. It will keep me in touch until it's time for the playoffs!

Scott D
10/21/2008, 11:26 AM
It's going to be a very long year for the Buds.

Opening night against Detroit, we were trying to figure out who the players were....there has been such house cleaning, that only 8-9 players from last year remain.

The rookie defenceman Schenn though, is for real. Kid is only 18, and he plays like he's 30. Not afraid to drop the mits too, which is about the only highlights available to a Leaf fan this year.

Oh yeah....anybody want Jason Blake for $4 mil a season?

look at the bright side Hoser, you got rid of Darcy Tucker's overpaid ***, and McCabe's as well. :)

GrapevineSooner
10/21/2008, 01:10 PM
Sadly, hockey had been meh for me for many years after being a huge fan for most of my life.

Last year's Cup Final got me going again...

Still, it is hard for me to follow what's happening while entrenched in a Sooners' football season and completely not smacking into hockey on my TV whilst I surf channels...

Keep this thread going fellas. It will keep me in touch until it's time for the playoffs!

Us hockey fans will do our best. And if you'd like to keep up with my thoughts on the Stars, please visit my blog (http://www.kneejerkcityblog.com).* ;)

*-shameless plug

Lott's Bandana
10/21/2008, 01:12 PM
Us hockey fans will do our best. And if you'd like to keep up with my thoughts on the Stars, please visit my blog (http://www.kneejerkcityblog.com).* ;)

*-shameless plug

Thanks GVS, and I'll sure check when your team plays Scott's team!

:D

Scott D
10/21/2008, 01:13 PM
his team won't win the conference again until they can pry Darryl Sydor from the Penguins cold dead hands ;)

HoserSooner
10/22/2008, 12:07 AM
look at the bright side Hoser, you got rid of Darcy Tucker's overpaid ***, and McCabe's as well. :)

I would have rather kept Tucker at $3 million, and have bought out Blake. Tucker was one of the few that BLED blue & white, and he played with some grit. This team now has no grit at all, and is seriously lacking emotion.

Scott D
10/22/2008, 10:58 AM
Aren't they on average the youngest team in the league now?

HoserSooner
10/23/2008, 01:25 PM
Aren't they on average the youngest team in the league now?

Oh yeah, I would imagine they'd be close?

Having Curtis Joseph in the backup role is the only "old" guy on the roster right now....everyone else is in their mid-20's for the most part.

It's a rebuilding year for sure, but rebuilding years don't go over well in Toronto. ;)

Scott D
10/23/2008, 03:42 PM
Obligatory "you can always get together with Blackhawk fans and talk about how great the 60s were for you" ;)

HoserSooner
10/24/2008, 07:59 AM
Obligatory "you can always get together with Blackhawk fans and talk about how great the 60s were for you" ;)

Yeah....well it looks like it's working out alright for the Hawks right now...hopefully we can finish last, or close enough to grab the 1st overall pick, and have first dibs at Tavares.

Other than that, all I have to look forward to this year is Holliweg checking people from behind. :mad:

GrapevineSooner
10/24/2008, 04:32 PM

That's not funny. :mad:

tulsaoilerfan
10/26/2008, 10:14 AM
WTF is wrong with Turco this year? I know they are blaming it a lot on the D, but at some point your goalie has to step up and stop some of those shots

GrapevineSooner
10/26/2008, 10:38 AM
Yep.

That shot to beat him in OT was a great shot to be sure by Alex Semin. But Turco was playing too deep in the net and gave him that sliver to shoot at. He comes out on his angle, and that's a routine save.

It just seems that every other defensive mistake this team is making is winding up in it's net. And Turco's just hasn't been the mistake eraser he's been in years past.

Scott D
10/27/2008, 10:45 AM
I call it "The Curse of #16" :)

JohnnyMack
10/27/2008, 01:01 PM
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e3d_1225054861

Keep yer head up.

SoonerStormchaser
10/28/2008, 04:02 PM
I was at the Stars/Caps game on Saturday...Turco made some MONSTER saves, but the bull**** shots (the ones your grandmother could stop) were the ones that did him in.

tulsaoilerfan
10/28/2008, 07:59 PM
I was at the Stars/Caps game on Saturday...Turco made some MONSTER saves, but the bull**** shots (the ones your grandmother could stop) were the ones that did him in.

That's pretty much Marty in a nutshell; he can alternate between Martin Brodeur brilliant to looking like a Double A goalie in the same period. :D

HoserSooner
11/1/2008, 10:33 PM
Dallas fans...you've got one hell of a pair of cheap-shot artists there in Ott and Avery?

Should make for an exciting (eg. violent) year of hockey though.

GrapevineSooner
11/2/2008, 08:00 AM
Dallas fans...you've got one hell of a pair of cheap-shot artists there in Ott and Avery?

Should make for an exciting (eg. violent) year of hockey though.

Yeah, I'm not going to defend their on-ice morals. I can understand why opponents and opposing fans hate them. ;)

HoserSooner
11/2/2008, 11:05 AM
Yeah, I'm not going to defend their on-ice morals. I can understand why opponents and opposing fans hate them. ;)

Great when they are on your team mind you....loved having Darcy Tucker on the Leafs. Having Avery out there tends to distract other teams when they have to account for him being on the ice.

Scott D
11/2/2008, 03:14 PM
Great when they are on your team mind you....loved having Darcy Tucker on the Leafs. Having Avery out there tends to distract other teams when they have to account for him being on the ice.

We should start a pool as to which late in the game stupid penalty that Avery will take will cost the Stars a game the first time this season. Then we can start a second pool about how many games he'll pull that off. ;)

GrapevineSooner
11/2/2008, 03:38 PM

As the old saying goes, 'They may be dirty bastards, but they're OUR dirty bastards!' :D

And Sean's actually been on relatively good behavior late in games. He did have a boarding penalty in the third period last night, but that's only after Boston had stretched a 2-1 lead to 4-1.

In fact, Brenden Morrow's far and away been more of a problem in the 'stupid penalties in the third' department than Avery or anybody else on the Stars.

Scott D
11/2/2008, 05:11 PM
Maybe he's doing it as a protest against the Stars signing Avery. I heard he was very vocal about not liking Avery.

GrapevineSooner
11/2/2008, 05:19 PM
Maybe he's doing it as a protest against the Stars signing Avery. I heard he was very vocal about not liking Avery.

Supposedly they kissed, made up, and Avery took Morrow shopping at Nieman Marcus...or something. :D

Scott D
11/3/2008, 05:08 PM
then you should be afraid of how much more of Avery is going to "rub off" on Morrow ;)

HoserSooner
11/4/2008, 01:03 AM
The beauty thing about Avery is that he DOES have hockey skills to go along with his "super pest" persona.

He is really good at getting under the skin of the other team, and more often than not, it works.

Having said that though, I LOVE to see him get smacked around. :D

Scott D
11/4/2008, 12:11 PM
I feel the same way about Darcy Tucker and any player who has the last name of Ruutu ;)

GrapevineSooner
11/4/2008, 01:16 PM
Brodeur out 3-4 months (http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/sports/oilers/story.html?id=4ce2a7a7-ba1d-48b9-a370-f491c6126b15).

Clearly, JM is not amused.

HoserSooner
11/5/2008, 09:09 AM
I feel the same way about Darcy Tucker and any player who has the last name of Ruutu ;)

Quite understandable that people hated Tucker...I hated him when he played with the Lightning. Once he arrived here though, he was loved by the fans. I'm sure Avs fans are appreciating him now...I wouldn't want to play against him.

I'm sure if Avery had signed with Toronto, you would have seen a plethora of jerseys in the stands with his number on them in the crowd.

SteelCitySooner
11/15/2008, 10:23 AM
Penguins are turning it up. Jordan Staal was on fire last week against the Red Wings. What a game that was!

SoonerStormchaser
11/15/2008, 11:14 AM
Let's recap my season so far:

Stars= SUCK!
Canes= on the way to SUCK!

Barry Melrose= FIRED! ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME!?!?!?!?

Mixer!
11/15/2008, 06:38 PM
The NHL is wandering in the sports wasteland when Melrose can't even get work. Sad.

tulsaoilerfan
11/15/2008, 11:18 PM
The NHL is wandering in the sports wasteland when Melrose can't even get work. Sad.

Pretty sad statement about sports in general when a coach doesn't even get a full season to try to make a team a winner

SteelCitySooner
11/15/2008, 11:53 PM
Pens over the Sabre's 5 to 2 :D

Scott D
11/17/2008, 11:16 AM
Pretty sad statement about sports in general when a coach doesn't even get a full season to try to make a team a winner

well it doesn't help when you throw your team under the bus in preseason, and then become at odds with an ownership group that is a little too involved in the day to day operations. At least Melrose will be back in the studio where he belongs.

SoonerStormchaser
11/18/2008, 04:18 PM
Guess who's dead LAST in the NHL:

YOURRRRRRRRRRRRRRR DALLASSSSSSSSSS STARSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

SoonerStormchaser
11/18/2008, 04:19 PM

****...he only got what? FIFTEEN GAMES?!?!?!?

SteelCitySooner
11/20/2008, 10:14 PM
Good win tonight for the Pens. 1 point away from NYR for the division lead..

SoonerStormchaser
11/22/2008, 06:54 AM
Well, now Morrow's gone for the season with a torn ACL...Avery is being, well, Avery again...at least they dumped Crombeen and Winchester and got Sydor back.

That being said...it's gonna be a long, ****ty season if you're a Stars fan...and don't be surprised if Tippet gets the axe soon.

GrapevineSooner
11/22/2008, 08:13 AM
*Deeeeeeeeeeeeep Sigh*

And SSC, Avery's actually been on pretty good behavior this season. He's far from been the problem.

Inconsistent play, blown coverages by the defense, and shoddy goaltending rank much higher on the blame list than #16.

SteelCitySooner
11/22/2008, 03:02 PM
Boucher's first game as a Penguin. We need a defensemen with a right-handed shot! Welcome to Pittsburgh and best of luck with the youngin's old man. ;)

GrapevineSooner
11/25/2008, 09:24 AM
Annnnnd, the Stars are now four games under .500 and in dead last in the NHL.

Well, technically tied with Atlanta. But the Thrashers have a game in hand.

Scott D
11/25/2008, 12:01 PM
Seriously, it's the Avery effect. I don't know why you don't believe me. ;)

HoserSooner
11/25/2008, 11:31 PM
Hmmm....anyone out there think that this will right the ship?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3726990

Well, it sure as hell can't get much worse than it already is.

I think I'll still wait a few years before I reserve my seat on Yonge St. for the Stanley Cup parade.....:D

SoonerStormchaser
11/26/2008, 12:11 AM
Nope...and your Leafs are in teh SUCK mode right now...but not as bad as the Habs are driving towards.
That said...GO BRUINS!

Scott D
11/26/2008, 10:07 AM
Hmmm....anyone out there think that this will right the ship?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3726990

Well, it sure as hell can't get much worse than it already is.

I think I'll still wait a few years before I reserve my seat on Yonge St. for the Stanley Cup parade.....:D

that's only been the worst kept secret in the NHL for the last two years.

GrapevineSooner
11/26/2008, 10:42 AM
Darcy Tucker's out four weeks.

I'm sure that just made Scott's day. :D

Scott D
11/26/2008, 05:25 PM
Darcy Tucker's out four weeks.

I'm sure that just made Scott's day. :D

one jackass down, four to go ;)

HoserSooner
11/27/2008, 12:12 AM
that's only been the worst kept secret in the NHL for the last two years.

Yeah, the Toronto media has been salivating over this for years now, but in this town, there are several rumors per week regarding who is being traded/when Mats Sundin is coming back, Brian Burke, etc.

Never know who/what to believe with the hockey media up here when it comes to rumors regarding the Blue and White.

Scott D
11/30/2008, 07:11 PM
Yeah, the Toronto media has been salivating over this for years now, but in this town, there are several rumors per week regarding who is being traded/when Mats Sundin is coming back, Brian Burke, etc.

Never know who/what to believe with the hockey media up here when it comes to rumors regarding the Blue and White.

well rule 1 is to never believe anything from Al Strachan.

Sounds like Burke has no interest in Sundin at all. Not too surprising since Sundin isn't anywhere near the kind of player that Burke wants on a team he builds.

HoserSooner
12/1/2008, 09:23 AM
well rule 1 is to never believe anything from Al Strachan.

Sounds like Burke has no interest in Sundin at all. Not too surprising since Sundin isn't anywhere near the kind of player that Burke wants on a team he builds.

Yeah, I'm a huge Sundin fan and apprecaiate what he has been able to do on so many mediocre Leaf teams, but I don't think he'd be a good fit right now. It would have been nice to see him retire as a Leaf, but just don't see that happening.

I'll lose my lunch though if he signs with Montreal, because I'd have a difficult time hating him.

Scott D
12/1/2008, 12:39 PM
as of this point, I don't see Sundin coming back this year.

HoserSooner
12/1/2008, 10:30 PM
as of this point, I don't see Sundin coming back this year.

Apparently, he is "working out" in LA right now, getting into game shape? My money is on him heading to Vancouver for the 20 million over two seasons. He'd be a good fit out there to be honest, and would nicely pad his already fat wallet.

But please god, do not let him be a Canadien.:mad:

JohnnyMack
12/2/2008, 10:13 PM
Sean Avery is such a tool. Good pick up Stars.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3740267

SoonerStormchaser
12/3/2008, 01:08 PM
Well...my Canes just canned Laviolette...and hired back Paul Maurice (with Ron Francis as associate head coach).

GrapevineSooner
12/3/2008, 02:31 PM
Sean Avery is such a tool. Good pick up Stars.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3740267

Something tells me he's not long for the Stars dressing room. Even his biggest defender on this club came out and said they were very disappointed by the comments. Not that the Stars' slow start could be solely attributed to Avery and his antics.

That having been said, I find it funny how the NHL can let head shots and knee shots go (acts which are far more damaging to the game than anything Sean Avery says) but they drop the hammer for something said publicly that's probably G-rated by hockey trash talk standards.

If the Stars wanted to suspend him for being an *** and by calling attention to himself, so be it. It's a team matter as far as I'm concerned. The NHL ought to butt out.

Scott D
12/3/2008, 03:39 PM
Something tells me he's not long for the Stars dressing room. Even his biggest defender on this club came out and said they were very disappointed by the comments. Not that the Stars' slow start could be solely attributed to Avery and his antics.

That having been said, I find it funny how the NHL can let head shots and knee shots go (acts which are far more damaging to the game than anything Sean Avery says) but they drop the hammer for something said publicly that's probably G-rated by hockey trash talk standards.

If the Stars wanted to suspend him for being an *** and by calling attention to himself, so be it. It's a team matter as far as I'm concerned. The NHL ought to butt out.

I think the most telling thing is that Tom Hicks has come out and said that if the NHL hadn't suspended Avery, then he would have. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Stars get a winning streak going while Avery is suspended. And yes, that is me going "I told you so" :)

GrapevineSooner
12/3/2008, 04:54 PM
I think the most telling thing is that Tom Hicks has come out and said that if the NHL hadn't suspended Avery, then he would have. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Stars get a winning streak going while Avery is suspended. And yes, that is me going "I told you so" :)

Yes.

Yes, you did. :D

Scott D
12/3/2008, 07:44 PM
I thought I was nicer here than on my blog :)

HoserSooner
12/4/2008, 12:06 AM
I kind of wish Avery had at least played on Tuesday night, so Phaneuf could have taken care of him on the ice. Phaneuf would have torn him a new one....probably one of the toughest non-goons around.

I'll have to make sure I watch the next time Dallas and Calgary meet...should be some gloves on the ice for sure. :D

Scott D
12/4/2008, 10:52 AM
you're assuming Avery will still be around at that point ;)

SoonerStormchaser
12/4/2008, 04:53 PM
Tippet threw him under the bus this morning...basically saying he's now a persona non grata in the locker room.

Scott D
12/4/2008, 11:26 PM
I prefer the comment from the unnamed veteran that just flat out called Avery stupid in terms of actual intelligence.

He's not getting any support from anyone anywhere in the league. Especially former teammates.

GrapevineSooner
12/5/2008, 05:36 PM
The cap hit bullet that Dallas, and more to the point, Brett Hull, are going to have to bite is bad enough.

But they probably won't be able to trade him, there's not a team in the league that would want him even for half price (on recall waivers), and if Avery's going to be aloof in an NHL dressing room, how do you think he'll fare in an AHL dressing room?

Perhaps a buyout is the only option. But in the middle of a season even at a prorated rated, it'll be a hefty buyout for the Stars.

I told Scott in July that while I thought the Stars free agent interests would have been better served finding a scoring winger to replace Hagman, I wasn't against this signing per se because it had the full backing of Hull. I figured if anybody could make it work here, he could.

Instead, this thing blows up a quarter of the way through Avery's first season.

GrapevineSooner
12/5/2008, 05:45 PM
And to give you an idea of how bad things have gotten, Stars broadcast Darryl "Razor" Reaugh (also of Versus and ESPN fame) was on The Ticket this morning with JubJub and Junior Miller for his weekly visit. Much of that visit, of course, centered on Avery.

Here's what we learned:

* First day of training camp, Avery came in with his headphones on and didn't say a word to any of his teammates

* He treated the Stars PR staff like serfs and threw a hissy fit when asked to participate in even the most basic of team activities off the ice.

* As is their tradition, the Stars had Avery on to do the first intermission interview opening night against Columbus. Reaugh reported that Avery didn't want to do the interview.

* On the night in New York where Avery told the press he couldn't talk to them because he needed to take his teammates out to dinner while they still liked him...He went out with his own entourage and did his own thing according to Stars captain Brenden Morrow, who is currently hopped up on pain killers after knee surgery this week to repair his torn ACL.

So basically, Avery's a diva whose 3 goals and 10 points pale in comparison to Nik Hagman's 8 goals and 19 points.

God, I wish we had Nik back at about the same salary.

HoserSooner
12/6/2008, 09:49 PM
And to give you an idea of how bad things have gotten, Stars broadcast Darryl "Razor" Reaugh (also of Versus and ESPN fame) was on The Ticket this morning with JubJub and Junior Miller for his weekly visit. Much of that visit, of course, centered on Avery.

Here's what we learned:

* First day of training camp, Avery came in with his headphones on and didn't say a word to any of his teammates

* He treated the Stars PR staff like serfs and threw a hissy fit when asked to participate in even the most basic of team activities off the ice.

* As is their tradition, the Stars had Avery on to do the first intermission interview opening night against Columbus. Reaugh reported that Avery didn't want to do the interview.

* On the night in New York where Avery told the press he couldn't talk to them because he needed to take his teammates out to dinner while they still liked him...He went out with his own entourage and did his own thing according to Stars captain Brenden Morrow, who is currently hopped up on pain killers after knee surgery this week to repair his torn ACL.

So basically, Avery's a diva whose 3 goals and 10 points pale in comparison to Nik Hagman's 8 goals and 19 points.

God, I wish we had Nik back at about the same salary.

Agree on Hagman....one of the best FA signings the Leafs have made in years. Hopefully, he'll be around for the length of the rebuilding process up here...he's great to watch.

And Avery is still a dick...no way would I want him in the Blue and White. Send him to Montreal...it'd make it even easier to hate him.

Scott D
12/7/2008, 04:31 PM
Agree on Hagman....one of the best FA signings the Leafs have made in years. Hopefully, he'll be around for the length of the rebuilding process up here...he's great to watch.

And Avery is still a dick...no way would I want him in the Blue and White. Send him to Montreal...it'd make it even easier to hate him.

I've heard of two potential teams interested in Avery. San Jose, who would be stupid for trying to get him considering the start they've had. The Islanders, I certainly hope that for their sake, Lawn Guy Land is close enough to Manhattan for Avery to get his fix.

SteelCitySooner
12/8/2008, 09:49 PM
Good Pens vs. Saber's game on tonight on Versus. 4 to 3 Buffalo with 8:57 left in the 3rd.

HoserSooner
12/8/2008, 10:04 PM
I've heard of two potential teams interested in Avery. San Jose, who would be stupid for trying to get him considering the start they've had. The Islanders, I certainly hope that for their sake, Lawn Guy Land is close enough to Manhattan for Avery to get his fix.

The Islanders would be a perfect fit....the leagues most dysfunctional player playing for the leagues most dysfunctional franchise. :D

Scott D
12/8/2008, 10:09 PM
The Islanders would be a perfect fit....the leagues most dysfunctional player playing for the leagues most dysfunctional franchise. :D

Avery already said he hates Toronto ;)

Obligatory, even the Islanders have won a cup since the last time the Leafs did ;)

SteelCitySooner
12/8/2008, 10:16 PM
Well that just sucked. Pens lost in a close one.

HoserSooner
12/9/2008, 04:05 PM
Avery already said he hates Toronto ;)

Obligatory, even the Islanders have won a cup since the last time the Leafs did ;)

Ouch.

And very true....although, as bad of a mess that the Leafs are in, the Islanders are even worse off, which is really scary.

SoonerStormchaser
12/13/2008, 02:16 PM
Well well well...look who beat the Red Wings last night 3-1...

Dallas might just be turning it around without their star distraction.

GrapevineSooner
12/13/2008, 05:47 PM
That remains to be seen.

One thing that did impress me is that the Stars didn't get slumped shoulders after blowing that lengthy 5-on-3 at the end of the first and on into the second period. Instead, they came back, killed off a pair of Red Wing chances, then scored goals within 100 seconds of each other.

That having been said, the Red Wings gave this game away on a silver platter. To me, the microcosm of this game was Henrik Zetterberg's chance to the right of Turco in the third where Marty, due to poor positioning, was forced to make an acrobatic glove save with a yawning open net awaiting Zetterberg's shot. Detroit also hit the pipe a number of times and just flat missed on chances from in close.

Still, a win over Detroit is a win over Detroit. And considering some of the hard luck games Marty has lost to Detroit in his career, this is payback of sorts. ;)

SoonerStormchaser
12/19/2008, 02:37 PM
Don't look now, but Dallas may have found its identity...they just might get the 8th seed yet.

And wtf happened to San Jose last night? Jeezus...Detroit made them their bitches and they liked it!

Scott D
12/19/2008, 05:47 PM
San Jose looked and played like a tired team that went to OT the previous night. I'd like to think most of that was because the Wings played the closest thing to a full 60 minutes of hockey that they have all season.

As for the Stars, it's the subtraction of Avery effect. Their ability to score now, seems to speak that there is such a thing as having "too many" annoying agitating types on the team and playing in a game.

SoonerStormchaser
12/23/2008, 10:01 PM
Holy ****!
Who lit a fire under Dallas's ***?

Scott D
12/25/2008, 04:36 PM
see post above yours. I think Turco's going to be inconsistent until he has a backup that can push him for playing time.

SoonerStormchaser
12/28/2008, 12:33 AM
That may be true, but they just beat a decent Ducks team...we'll see how they handle SJ on Monday.

GrapevineSooner
12/30/2008, 03:02 PM
Acquitted themselves better than they did a month ago against San Jose.

But still a loss.

And they really need a point man on the power play. San Jose left the points wide open all night. Then as soon as the puck was funneled toward Ribeiro, two Sharks were on him like white on rice.

Scott D
12/30/2008, 06:33 PM
might be time for Modano to go back on the point again.

GrapevineSooner
1/1/2009, 02:16 PM
might be time for Modano to go back on the point again.

Yep.

And it made a difference last night.

And back on Saturday when he essentially scored the game winner in OT. I know officially it was at even strength, but Ryan Getzlaf hadn't even set foot outside the box when Mo's game winner hit twine past a partially screened Giggy.

As for today, if you're not tuned into NBC to watch the Winter Classic, you're missing a beauty.

Ben Eager just scored a sick goal to put the Hawks up 3-1.

SoonerStormchaser
1/1/2009, 03:08 PM
This game is ****ing awesome! Mike Babcock looks all gangsta in that fedora hat.

4-3 Wings after 2.

Scott D
1/2/2009, 11:54 AM
Yep.

And it made a difference last night.

And back on Saturday when he essentially scored the game winner in OT. I know officially it was at even strength, but Ryan Getzlaf hadn't even set foot outside the box when Mo's game winner hit twine past a partially screened Giggy.

As for today, if you're not tuned into NBC to watch the Winter Classic, you're missing a beauty.

Ben Eager just scored a sick goal to put the Hawks up 3-1.

I'll go ahead and submit my resume to Tom Hicks to take over for Brett Hull and Les Jackson now.

SoonerStormchaser
1/7/2009, 03:50 PM
Standings as of 7 January:
EAST
GP W L OTL PTS GF GA PP% PK% HOME AWAY L10
1 Boston 40 29 7 4 62 143 89 24.2 82.9 14-3-1 15-4-3 8-2-0
2 Washington 41 27 11 3 57 135 117 23.2 80.3 18-1-1 9-10-2 9-1-0
3 Philadelphia 40 21 10 9 51 133 122 25.8 82.2 12-4-3 9-6-6 4-3-3
4 NY Rangers 41 24 14 3 51 112 109 14.5 88.4 14-7-2 10-7-1 5-4-1
5 Montreal 38 22 10 6 50 115 100 13.4 82.6 12-4-4 10-6-2 6-3-1
6 New Jersey 39 23 13 3 49 119 101 17.3 80.3 13-7-1 10-6-2 6-4-0
7 Carolina 41 21 15 5 47 108 118 15.8 78.1 12-9-1 9-6-4 7-3-0
8 Buffalo 40 20 15 5 45 117 113 20.6 86.7 11-9-2 9-6-3 5-3-2

Pittsburgh 41 20 17 4 44 124 125 17.0 80.3 9-9-2 11-8-2 3-7-0
Florida 40 18 16 6 42 108 113 15.0 83.2 8-5-3 10-11-3 4-3-3
Toronto 40 16 18 6 38 121 142 20.5 73.5 8-8-4 8-10-2 4-6-0
Ottawa 38 13 19 6 32 89 111 18.3 81.8 9-6-3 4-13-3 2-7-1
Tampa Bay 39 11 18 10 32 95 121 15.0 81.5 4-7-7 7-11-3 4-4-2
Atlanta 41 13 23 5 31 116 149 21.2 72.3 7-12-2 6-11-3 3-6-1
NY Islanders 41 12 25 4 28 107 149 18.5 82.4 7-9-2 5-16-2 2-7-1

WEST
GP W L OTL PTS GF GA PP% PK% HOME AWAY L10
1 San Jose 39 29 5 5 63 135 95 22.0 85.5 19-0-2 10-5-3 5-2-3
2 Detroit 39 27 7 5 59 144 111 28.2 79.8 14-3-2 13-4-3 7-2-1
3 Calgary 40 24 12 4 52 125 119 18.9 85.2 14-4-3 10-8-1 8-1-1
4 Chicago 37 22 8 7 51 138 96 23.1 84.3 12-2-4 10-6-3 8-2-0
5 Vancouver 41 21 15 5 47 117 108 17.3 82.2 11-6-2 10-9-3 4-4-2
6 Anaheim 41 21 15 5 47 116 113 21.9 81.8 12-8-3 9-7-2 4-4-2
7 Minnesota 39 20 16 3 43 97 87 22.6 88.1 11-7-3 9-9-0 5-3-2
8 Phoenix 41 19 17 5 43 102 118 12.8 80.4 13-6-2 6-11-3 5-4-1

Edmonton 38 19 16 3 41 108 114 18.6 74.1 8-6-3 11-10-0 5-4-1
Colorado 40 20 19 1 41 106 116 15.8 79.8 11-8-0 9-11-1 5-5-0
Columbus 40 18 18 4 40 104 112 10.2 80.7 11-6-1 7-12-3 5-4-1
Dallas 38 17 16 5 39 111 129 14.9 76.8 9-6-3 8-10-2 6-3-1
Los Angeles 39 16 17 6 38 98 106 18.6 83.4 11-8-6 5-9-0 3-5-2
Nashville 39 17 19 3 37 94 114 12.8 83.4 10-7-1 7-12-2 3-7-0
St. Louis 39 15 21 3 33 112 132 22.4 80.3 10-9-2 5-12-1 3-7-0

GrapevineSooner
1/9/2009, 02:11 PM
I'll go ahead and submit my resume to Tom Hicks to take over for Brett Hull and Les Jackson now.

Nah. Knowing you, you'd immediately trade Loui Eriksson and Fabian Brunnstrom to Kenny Holland. :D

Scott D
1/11/2009, 04:47 PM
Nah. Knowing you, you'd immediately trade Loui Eriksson and Fabian Brunnstrom to Kenny Holland. :D

nah, But I bet I could get rid of Ott for more than a box of crayons. Maybe even some sort of package for a Nicklas Hagman type ;)

SoonerStormchaser
1/20/2009, 02:40 PM
I'm giving up on Dallas. Just when I think they're putting it together, they pull games like the past three out of their ***...blown leads...one SO win, one loss, one SO loss.

I'll just stick to cheering for my Canes...and hating all things Washington and Montreal.

GrapevineSooner
1/20/2009, 02:58 PM
Sounds good.

I went to the game Thursday and had to check my ticket to make sure we weren't playing Detroit when Buffalo scored to tie it in the third.

Gawd I hate Buffalo and their idiot fans who still can't read a rulebook.

HoserSooner
1/20/2009, 04:04 PM
...and hating all things....Montreal.

I'm with you there.

I don't know who I hate more...Canadiens fans or Longhorn fans? It's really damn close.

SoonerStormchaser
1/20/2009, 06:02 PM
Went to the game on Saturday with Carolyn...I seriously thought about asking for a refund. That game blew on so many levels...and it was against the Kings...THE KINGS!!!

SoonerStormchaser
1/20/2009, 09:16 PM
Btw Hoser...sorry bout that beatdown last night...but at least the ****ing Habs are being bitchslapped by Atlanta right now.

Scott D
1/23/2009, 06:10 PM
Bettman can kiss my ***, not to mention the no balls having NHLPA. Bud Selig's head would be on platter if he tried to pull this **** with the MLB All-Star Game.

GrapevineSooner
1/27/2009, 12:05 PM
Well, that's because the MLBPA is the most powerful players' union in the world. ;)

You know, I might be flip flopping on this a bit.

I can see the NHL's view on this in that this is a showcase event and a showcase weekend. Even if a player is too injured to play, they should at least grace the weekend with their presence.

OTOH, if you've got a nagging injury with three days of rest as the only cure and the only thing standing between you and that rest is a commitment to show up in Montreal (which doesn't help your team), what are you going to do?

Suffice to say, I think this may be the first and last year the rule is in effect.

SoonerStormchaser
1/27/2009, 12:28 PM
I just hate the fact that those ****ing Habs fans voted half their team to the all-star game...including players who have barely played ten games this season.

Time to take the votes away from the fans and let the REAL all-stars play.

GrapevineSooner
1/27/2009, 12:50 PM
That I can agree with.

The NHL should suspend all Habs fans for one home game after the break. :D

Scott D
1/27/2009, 02:22 PM
I just hate the fact that those ****ing Habs fans voted half their team to the all-star game...including players who have barely played ten games this season.

Time to take the votes away from the fans and let the REAL all-stars play.

I had no problem with the Western Conference starting lineup being all Ducks and Blackhawks.

You know, the rest of the Eastern Conference should be happy about that. Makes it more likely the Habs will wear down as the season gets to crunch time. On the other hand, I like how Lidstrom is reacting to Bettman's decree with a "Whatever, my team comes first" interview yesterday. I think a guy should be allowed to skip the weekend when he's participated in it the last 10 years.

GrapevineSooner
1/29/2009, 06:16 PM
I think a guy should be allowed to skip the weekend when he's participated in it the last 10 years.

Yeah, good point. ;)

I shudder to think how many goals the Wings are gonna hang on Marty tonight. Afterall, he is their female dog.

SoonerStormchaser
1/29/2009, 07:47 PM
I'm watching teh game right now...so far, Dallas has come out kinda fired up...

It won't last though...Marty's gonna get lit up like the 4th of July.

SoonerStormchaser
1/29/2009, 08:36 PM
HOLY ****ING ****BALLS BATMAN!

4-0 DALLAS!

nm...Detroit just scored...4-1 Dallas.

SoonerStormchaser
1/29/2009, 10:05 PM
4-2 STARS WIN!

GrapevineSooner
1/29/2009, 10:05 PM
Well, man bit dog tonight I guess. :D

I just got in from my daughter's B-Ball practice and the first highlight was Lidstrom's goal that was called back on Holmstrom's...uhh...OK, goaltender interference, officially.

Yeah, I'd be pissed if it was the other way around.

Anyway, the Stars are unofficially tied for one of the remaining playoff spots.

Scott D
1/29/2009, 10:15 PM
Well, man bit dog tonight I guess. :D

I just got in from my daughter's B-Ball practice and the first highlight was Lidstrom's goal that was called back on Trevor Daley's...uhh...OK, goaltender interference, officially.

Yeah, I'd be pissed if it was the other way around.

Anyway, the Stars are unofficially tied for one of the remaining playoff spots.

O'Halloran can kiss my black ***.

Stars played their best game of the year tonight. Wings played much like they did against Columbus...bored for most of the night.

SteelCitySooner
1/30/2009, 07:03 PM
Pens need to turn it around this half.. Need a win tonight against the devils..

SoonerStormchaser
1/30/2009, 07:29 PM
Nooooooo...

I need the Pens and Sabres (and Panthers) to tank so my ****ty Canes can eek into a #8 seed and get bounced by my father's Bruins in the first round.

SteelCitySooner
1/31/2009, 09:15 AM
Devils came back and tied up up wiht 36 seconds left in the game.. and damnit, they one in ot. At least we got a point out of it..

SoonerStormchaser
1/31/2009, 04:31 PM
The ****ing Habs just got away with one on a BS interference no-call that led to Higgens scoring the tying goal. Watch the replays tonight and tell me that wasn't interference.

****ing HABS!

SoonerStormchaser
1/31/2009, 09:55 PM
Don't look now, but DALLAS IS NOW THE 8TH SEED IN PLAYOFF CONTENTION!

SoonerStormchaser
2/1/2009, 04:46 PM
My GOD...you guys should've seen the ghey *** ****ty uniforms the ****ing Habs were wearing today against the Bruins...it's the one on the upper right:
http://habsinsideout.com/files/hio/imagecache/bigimage/images/uniforms.jpg

It was so bad, the commentators for NESN were saying at the end of the game:
"Our final score, Bruins: 3, Convicts: 1" And "Bruins beat the Mugshots, 3-1."

God I hate the Habs!

John Kochtoston
2/6/2009, 10:52 PM
The Rangers stink. On ice. 1994 may become the new 1940. But hey, at least we're looking into signing a guy who will be no help at all.

SoonerStormchaser
2/6/2009, 10:56 PM
Holy ****...you're telling me!
The Stars are making them their uberbitches right now...8-2 Dallas.

SoonerStormchaser
2/6/2009, 11:04 PM
Goddamn, New York...WTF? They should just keep the goal scoring music going for Dallas!

10-2 Stars.

GrapevineSooner
2/9/2009, 01:42 PM
The Rangers stink. On ice. 1994 may become the new 1940. But hey, at least we're looking into signing a guy who will be no help at all.

The conspiracy theorist in me figures the Stars tried to run up the score to make the Rangers more desperate. ;)

And sorry, 1994 will never replace 1940 as a viable chant. Especially for us Islander fans.

Scott D
2/9/2009, 09:45 PM
interesting take on NHL Live today by EJ Hradek. Avery was on his "best behavior" in New York and in Detroit. The common factor for both stops, Brendan Shanahan on the team. Apparently Sean thinks the world of Brendan, and it's like Shanny was basically his babysitter.

p.s. 1961 is an enjoyable chant, almost as much as 1963. :D

GrapevineSooner
2/9/2009, 10:03 PM
"1961" will be gone within three years, Scott. :D

John Kochtoston
2/9/2009, 10:22 PM
I think Avery got screwed sideways by the NHL. First, they passed a rule outlawing perfectly legal conduct after he stood in front of Brodeur and played "neener-neener-neener" with him. Then, he gets suspended for a comment that, while in poor taste, wasn't really all that bad (I almost promise you that if someone dropped an N-bomb on TV, the suspension wouldn't have been as severe). So, I'm pulling for Avery. The league needs colorful players like him. His interning for Vouge got the NHL more mainstream exposure than 10 Sidney Crosby feature stories.

All that said, the Rangers don't really need him. They need (ideally) a good offensive defenseman, or at least a first-line sniper.

John Kochtoston
2/9/2009, 10:24 PM
The conspiracy theorist in me figures the Stars tried to run up the score to make the Rangers more desperate. ;)

And sorry, 1994 will never replace 1940 as a viable chant. Especially for us Islander fans.

And, while there are plenty of teams that can be laughing at the Blueshirts, the Islanders aren't really one of them. :D

SoonerStormchaser
2/9/2009, 10:39 PM
I think Avery got screwed sideways by the NHL. First, they passed a rule outlawing perfectly legal conduct after he stood in front of Brodeur and played "neener-neener-neener" with him. Then, he gets suspended for a comment that, while in poor taste, wasn't really all that bad (I almost promise you that if someone dropped an N-bomb on TV, the suspension wouldn't have been as severe). So, I'm pulling for Avery. The league needs colorful players like him. His interning for Vouge got the NHL more mainstream exposure than 10 Sidney Crosby feature stories.

All that said, the Rangers don't really need him. They need (ideally) a good offensive defenseman, or at least a first-line sniper.

Yah...he definitely got the shaft by the league...but I'm glad that Dallas got rid of him. That trade back in July left me scratching my head the same way when Dallas dumped Langenbrunner and Niewendyk for Arnott back in 02...that was the dumbest trade Dallas had ever made.

Maybe Dallas can trade him to Calgary so he and Phaneuf can kick the **** outta each other on a nightly basis.

SteelCitySooner
2/10/2009, 12:04 AM
Pens are sucking...on the outside looking in. They need to get their chit together and quickly..

Scott D
2/10/2009, 01:46 PM
"1961" will be gone within three years, Scott. :D

That's ok my friend. We all will still have "1963" to get by on. :D

GrapevineSooner
2/15/2009, 01:08 PM
The Stars better hope they don't fall into the 5th seed if they do make the playoffs. For I'm afraid the Blackhawks would make quick work of them.

SoonerStormchaser
2/15/2009, 04:24 PM
No ****...I'm kinda hoping they fall and stay at either #6 or 7...they at least have a prayer against the Flames...and of all teams, the Wings.

Meanwhile, my Hurricanes are on their inevitable journey towards pure crap...

Scott D
2/15/2009, 06:35 PM
A little birdie told me that there may be an announcement coming from JLA in the next couple of weeks regarding a player wearing the #81 and a long term contract.

Scott D
2/26/2009, 05:18 PM
*sigh* If this team could put out the effort on a nightly basis that they put out against San Jose last night they'd be the favorite to repeat.

SoonerStormchaser
3/18/2009, 10:21 PM
Jeez...is Dallas snakebit? They suck right now.

I'm thinking no playoffs for them.

My Canes had better put some **** together fast cause 7 of their last 10 games are at home...and they're running out of excuses.

GrapevineSooner
3/18/2009, 11:42 PM
Here's what I meant to say a month ago.

The Blackhawks better get their a**es in gear. For I'm afraid whoever they play at this point will make quick work of them in the first round.

As for the Stars, I'm afraid they're done after dropping these two back to backs in Vancouver and Calgary.

Scott D
3/19/2009, 04:20 AM
Worst thing that could have happened for the Stars was Brad Richards' wrist injury. Outside of not having Zubov basically all season of course. You know you've got problems when the "offensive prowess" of Steve Ott is leading the way.

SoonerStormchaser
3/19/2009, 09:17 AM
Dallas has been the most snakebit team when it comes to injuries this season. Zubov just needs to hang it up...

SoonerStormchaser
3/21/2009, 07:24 PM
...and now Brad Richards is gone for the rest of the year...breaks one wrist a month ago, now his other hand is broken.

Let's all agree to bury Dallas at this point and jump on my Canes bandwagon!

Scott D
3/21/2009, 08:13 PM
I buried Dallas the day they signed Sean Avery.

SoonerStormchaser
3/21/2009, 09:11 PM
Well...Brind'Amour make Ovechkin his bitch! 4-1 Canes!

SoonerStormchaser
3/29/2009, 08:58 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/teams/schedule?team=car
Note the month of March, where Carolina failed to get at least a point in only ONE game.
These guys are on a roll.

Dallas on the other hand...is about to see the last of Dave Tippet...I think he's gone after they fail to make the playoffs.

tulsaoilerfan
3/29/2009, 09:14 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/teams/schedule?team=car
Note the month of March, where Carolina failed to get at least a point in only ONE game.
These guys are on a roll.

Dallas on the other hand...is about to see the last of Dave Tippet...I think he's gone after they fail to make the playoffs.

How can you blame Tippett? The team has no reliable goalie, Morrow has missed most of the season, and this slide started when Brad Richards got hurt the first time; if anyone goes, it should be the CO-GM's for putting this crapper of a team together

GrapevineSooner
3/30/2009, 02:23 PM
The Avery signing will forever be a black mark on the resume of Brett Hull. Looking back, they should have taken that money and re-signed Nik Hagman.

But they didn't. And the lack of salary cap flexibility meant that the biggest trade this year was a salary for salary swap of defensemen with Boucher going to Pittsburgh and Sydor coming back to Dallas.

And unlike the last time these two teams swapped D-men (Kevin Hatcher for Sergei Zubov in one of the most lopsided trades in NHL history), Sydor showed us the reason he didn't play much for Pittsburgh last season. He wasn't anywhere close to the Sydor of 10 years ago, let alone two years ago.

Tippett is staying. And I think JackHull is staying, too.

SoonerStormchaser
3/30/2009, 06:03 PM
How can you blame Tippett? The team has no reliable goalie, Morrow has missed most of the season, and this slide started when Brad Richards got hurt the first time; if anyone goes, it should be the CO-GM's for putting this crapper of a team together

I can't blame Tippett. It's not his fault that this team is snakebit this year when it comes to injuries. However, you have to wonder how much longer his style is gonna work for this team. It seems that whenever they're near the offensive zone, they just dump the puck in and see who can get it first. They've become really boring to watch. My Canes...otoh...