PDA

View Full Version : man I'm Jones'n for some golf

picasso
10/9/2008, 12:17 PM
got everything figured out last Fri in a scramble. now I need to beat someone down.:mad: :)

King Crimson
10/9/2008, 12:22 PM
if you figured it out 5 days ago.....you are beatable. 5 days is forever. heh.

picasso
10/9/2008, 12:24 PM
ahhhhh buzz kill.:D

naw man, I haven't played much this fall and have struggled with my irons. moved my thumb a bit and was hitting them oh so nicely.

that added with the new driver via Hairy and I'm ready Jerry.

sigh.

Condescending Sooner
10/9/2008, 12:43 PM
Get us on a great course and pay the fees, and I will let you win.

Partial Qualifier
10/9/2008, 01:00 PM
I needed some golfers to talk me down off the ledge yesterday.

My swing had been sketchy for years, it was a patchwork of high school golf teacher instruction, Band-Aids and Golf Digest tips. So in May, on the sound advice and instruction of a professional, I completely changed my swing to an actual, mechanically-correct, fundamentally sound golf swing.

Yes it felt goofy as hell and it took a few trips to the range to get comfortable with it, but soon I saw a very nice difference in reliability and forgiveness and power. Feels great, I'm "getting it" mentally, everythings awesome. At this point I'm really excited to attack a golf course.

So I tried taking it to the course yesterday and shot a 110. That's right! Probably the worst day at the course in my golfing life, ever. Played off & on since 8 years old.

I've recently tried a different putting methodology -- stuck with it yesterday, and that didn't help -- but the wheels fell off on the first hole and I couldn't recover. Never been so frustrated in my life. It was so bad I'm STILL considering going back to the course and throwing my bag into a pond. I was questioning why I even PLAY golf. It was that bad.

Have you ever re-vamped your swing? If so -- how did you keep from killing someone?

GAHRRR A****KER HSIT DAMN ***** HELLZ ****ER!! I HATE MY FAVORITE PASTIME!!

thanks for listening :( :(

picasso
10/9/2008, 05:29 PM
ouch.

King Crimson
10/9/2008, 05:35 PM
in the late 90's i got pretty toasted at a bar (Boulder's own Walrus) where i used to go for the free pool league....with this guy who used to play on the Nike Tour and had a couple top 10 finishes and was angling for Q school. He told me that one day he went out the range and couldn't hit anything but pull-hooks. no matter how hard he tried, that was all he do above 6 iron. he missed like 8 cuts in a row (and had several rounds in the 80's which for those guys is horrible embarrassment) and threw his bag of clubs through the sliding glass door of his motel. then, went to the store and bought a bottle of Jack and a bag of quick setting concrete, filled up his golf bag with concrete and dumped it in a lake. hadn't touched a club in 2 years (the day we were boozing) and was working for UPS and never happier.

it just happened, one day. he couldn't hit golf shots anymore. that's always scared the hell out of me even though i don't play enough to ever be a very good player anymore. supposedly, the same kind of thing happened to Ian Baker-Finch.

picasso
10/9/2008, 06:25 PM
buddy of mine is long off the tee and capable of a 71 or a 97. we were playing in a weekend handicap corporate type tourney in Arkie one year and the dude got the worst case of the shanks I'd ever seen. just on one hole it started, he scored a 16 on it and finished with a 57 on the back.:eek:

I started calling him William Shankner.

King Crimson
10/9/2008, 06:41 PM
i got the shanks once in high school when i was playing about a 5 handicap at the Trails in Norman (which was much harder then than now), it was weird.

Sooner04
10/9/2008, 11:11 PM
it just happened, one day. he couldn't hit golf shots anymore. that's always scared the hell out of me even though i don't play enough to ever be a very good player anymore. supposedly, the same kind of thing happened to Ian Baker-Finch.
It wasn't that Baker-Finch lost his swing. He just couldn't hit the driver anymore. He hit it OB left on #1 at St. Andrews which is damn near a superhuman feat. That would be like running the mile in 3:30. It's impossible even if you're aimed at the OB markers. I doubt Kim Jong Il could've done it.

Never really had the shanks, but I've lost "it" in the middle of rounds before and it's a naked feeling. I've hit a few shanks in a row on the range, but then I just go back to my keys and start hitting it decent again.

The one time I did try to overhaul my swing I was making progress until I took a week off. All that muscle memory evaporated and I could barely take the club back. So much for trying to swing like Hogan.

King Crimson
10/10/2008, 01:36 AM
It wasn't that Baker-Finch lost his swing. He just couldn't hit the driver anymore. He hit it OB left on #1 at St. Andrews which is damn near a superhuman feat. That would be like running the mile in 3:30. It's impossible even if you're aimed at the OB markers. I doubt Kim Jong Il could've done it.

Never really had the shanks, but I've lost "it" in the middle of rounds before and it's a naked feeling. I've hit a few shanks in a row on the range, but then I just go back to my keys and start hitting it decent again.

The one time I did try to overhaul my swing I was making progress until I took a week off. All that muscle memory evaporated and I could barely take the club back. So much for trying to swing like Hogan.

i was going to bring up that OB left for IBF at St. Andrews. Having been on that golf course....it's unthinkable. both the fairways at 1 and 18 are million yards wide. you basically would have to hit as far left as total distance off the tee.

Ardmore_Sooner
10/10/2008, 01:45 AM
http://www.cybersnips.com/1stoldcoursestandrews1.JPG

King Crimson
10/10/2008, 02:20 AM
in the pic above, the first tee is about a straight drop down from the s in "some golf" in the thread title, right at the left edge of the R&A clubhouse (in which yer old buddy King Crimson has enjoyed a pint). and Baker-Finch is hitting it OB (off the golf course) about midway between the two white two story buildings on the right side of the pic along the road.

i 3 putted 1 for bogey. after that i trusted my caddy. fanned about 12 foot birdie putt on 18 but i was feeling pretty good to hit in reg. stick a soft 9 iron about 12 feet on 18 at the Old Course. shot 39 on the back with a 15 foot one putt double on 17.

King Crimson
10/10/2008, 02:39 AM
i tell you something else. after me and my pops finish we're having a beer at the hotel just off teh 18th fairway and watching people play 18. and this guy runs one about 10 inches past the hole, he looks at his playing partner and *picks up* his golf ball and walks off the green. and this guy at the table next to us just blurts out...."what a effin idiot....******* doesn't even hole out on 18 at the Old Course!".

in the immortal phrasings of Cameo, word up.

OUthunder
10/10/2008, 09:54 AM
i tell you something else. after me and my pops finish we're having a beer at the hotel just off teh 18th fairway and watching people play 18. and this guy runs one about 10 inches past the hole, he looks at his playing partner and *picks up* his golf ball and walks off the green. and this guy at the table next to us just blurts out...."what a effin idiot....******* doesn't even hole out on 18 at the Old Course!".

in the immortal phrasings of Cameo, word up.

That's just wrong. He probably would have missed the putt with so many folks watching.

King Crimson
10/10/2008, 10:12 AM
That's just wrong. He probably would have missed the putt with so many folks watching.

So wrong. i tell you, the first tee and the approach shot into 18 is pretty nervy....there are a lot of people watching and you don't want to be a chump on the Old Course.

OUthunder
10/10/2008, 10:16 AM
So wrong. i tell you, the first tee and the approach shot into 18 is pretty nervy....there are a lot of people watching and you don't want to be a chump on the Old Course.

I played with a client who had a 3 footer on the 18th at Pebble. He picked it up and I just looked at him like WTF?

I guess I should have picked my 2 footer up for double but at that price, I'm getting my monies worth.

King Crimson
10/10/2008, 11:08 AM
as much as you'd like to think that golfers have a philosophical bent and deep abiding respect for the game and competition alongside the acknowledgment that a cruel game like golf requires a quiet, faithful resignation at times....it just ain't true.

some people just don't get it. they just take and take.

picasso
10/10/2008, 11:53 AM
you gotta take the bad with the good. I've got a buddy who will putt out those 3 footers real fast so as to act like it was a gimme if he misses.

OUthunder
10/10/2008, 12:00 PM
you gotta take the bad with the good. I've got a buddy who will putt out those 3 footers real fast so as to act like it was a gimme if he misses.

Yep, I also had a buddy that would stand over one of those for ten minutes on a Par 3 course.

I always try to putt out unless the course is backed up.

King Crimson
10/10/2008, 12:31 PM

i've played with people who do that. worst, one of my high school buddies Dad does it. he was a decent break 80 player in his day...but it's kind of pathetic to see up close.

Partial Qualifier
10/10/2008, 01:12 PM

seen that a lot too, seems to happen more often on the "country-club-ish" courses.

I played with a client who had a 3 footer on the 18th at Pebble. He picked it up and I just looked at him like WTF?

I guess I should have picked my 2 footer up for double but at that price, I'm getting my monies worth.

Plus, it's not only about your money's worth -- it's also about "don't keep score if you're gonna do that all day". Not saying it's cheating, but it ain't scorecard-worthy behavior either.

Reminds me of this guy I work with who will shoot mid-90's when he plays by the rules but every now and then stops me in the hall to brag about shooting a 76..