PDA

View Full Version : Important question about alchohol/beer purchasing in Dallas

OU-HSV
10/9/2008, 08:37 AM
Hey tailgating/partying people.
My father-in-law was telling me that last time he was in the Dallas area he remembered that in order to buy beer or drinks anywhere, they have a new law that requires you to have a special I.D. card in addition to your driver's license.

Is this true or his my FIL confusing this with something else??
I thought I'd ask this before we all make the trip down to Dallas and have any confusion when we want to buy beer at the stores or at the bars.

TIA

Oh and by the way.
texass sucks!

OUMallen
10/9/2008, 08:40 AM
Wasn't true last time I went ot Dallas this spring.

Sooner Traveler
10/9/2008, 08:41 AM
There are still some areas in Dallas that are technically "dry" and you have to be a "member" to buy alcohol. Establishment will require you to purchase a Unicard for $1 - your entire group can drink on the same unicard.

have fun

OU-HSV
10/9/2008, 08:44 AM
There are still some areas in Dallas that are technically "dry" and you have to be a "member" to buy alcohol. Establishment will require you to purchase a Unicard for $1 - your entire group can drink on the same unicard.

have fun

That's what he called it...a Unicard. I was like "what the hell is a unicard".
So I'm guessing the area that the Cotton Bowl is located at is not dry, correct...like the West End area most importantly?
Thanks for the info.

fwsooner22
10/9/2008, 08:50 AM
Don't worry about it.........most precincts are "wet" now.......you won't have a problem

soonerlaw
10/9/2008, 08:51 AM
Dallas is not dry and I am sure you will be able to get whatever you want in the West End. Irving and some other suburbs are dry as far as buying alcohol at a grocery store/liquor store, but even there you can get drinks at a restaurant.

colleyvillesooner
10/9/2008, 08:52 AM
Yep. They just scan your DL and have you sign a piece of paper. Done.

badger
10/9/2008, 09:04 AM
Hmm... this might also stem from the era of crappy Oklahoma drivers licenses. Remember when the Tag Agency was basically taking a little note card and laminate it in cheap flimsy plastic? Yeah, kind of easy to duplicate and create phony ID's. I think some places in Texas didn't accept those for that reason.

As for dry areas of Texas, I know that I stayed in a business district one year and that was dry. So long as you stay in a mainstream area with lots of restaurants and such, it probably won't be dry. At the very least, you'll be able to go to the restaurants and such for a drink or five.

bluedogok
10/9/2008, 10:04 PM
Dallas is not dry and I am sure you will be able to get whatever you want in the West End. Irving and some other suburbs are dry as far as buying alcohol at a grocery store/liquor store, but even there you can get drinks at a restaurant.
Areas of Dallas are "dry", it is by voting precinct as previously posted. I lived near Abrams/Forest Lane and that was a "dry" area with the wet/dry line being where all the liquor stores on Greenville just south of the Royal Oaks Golf Club and the other wet area was Buckingham between Dallas and Richardson. Restaurants/clubs in that area required a Unicard or they had their own private club card.

Hmm... this might also stem from the era of crappy Oklahoma drivers licenses. Remember when the Tag Agency was basically taking a little note card and laminate it in cheap flimsy plastic? Yeah, kind of easy to duplicate and create phony ID's. I think some places in Texas didn't accept those for that reason.
The Unicard system has been around since the mid-80's that I know of and Texas back then had about the same type of ID. It just stems from Baptists writing liquor laws.

OUMallen
10/9/2008, 10:32 PM

Not true. My buddy lives at Webb Chapel and 35 and it's a dry area.

Fraggle145
10/9/2008, 10:34 PM
BTW how late can you buy beer? think its midnight right?

colinreturn
10/9/2008, 10:43 PM
all they do is scan your id and register you. it takes about 5 seconds when you walk in the door. i believe richardson is like that.

OU-HSV
10/9/2008, 10:48 PM
all they do is scan your id and register you. it takes about 5 seconds when you walk in the door. i believe richardson is like that.

5 seconds...damn. I don't have that kind of time, I'm trying to drink :D

TheHumanAlphabet
10/9/2008, 11:01 PM
When I was with The Pride, Coach would ALWAYS book the hotel in a "dry" area. The people who drove down for the game would be everyone's best friend and make liquor runs into the "wet" areas...

Best memory, some one while I was marching into the "Dallas Drunk" handed me a gallon of vodka while I was playing Tuba and said here - "theish ish for you! Boomer Sooner!" Ummm, late 70s, oil rich, drunk and throwing money around...good memories.