PDA

View Full Version : Late-80s Fooseball Question

SbOrOiNaEnR
10/8/2008, 11:48 PM
I don't know how many of you know who Ned Hockman is, but he was the official team photographer from the 40s through the 80s, and is a pretty big deal (legend status) in the OU and Oklahoma broadcasting community.

That being said, while watching FSN's In Focus about the RRS, there was an awesome picture of Hockman's of Bud Wilkinson's homecoming to Owen Field, and it was dated 1989. It was such a powerful picture of Bud, hobbled by age and worn down by life, smiling as he walked to the center of the field, with a sea of crimson cheering behind him. Does anyone know what game this was, or have any memories of being there, and what that moment was like?

OUDoc
10/9/2008, 08:03 AM
No, but I'll bump it because I'd like to hear more about this too.

SbOrOiNaEnR
10/9/2008, 10:59 AM
Bump. C'mon, SOMEONE must know the answer to this?

boomermagic
10/9/2008, 01:19 PM
Bump. C'mon, SOMEONE must know the answer to this?

Bump

OU86
10/9/2008, 01:32 PM
According to the entry for Wilkinson at the CFB HOF website, Oklahoma brought him back to Norman on September 23, 1991, for a gala called "A Tribute to Bud." OU played Utah State on September 21, 1991 and Virginia Tech on September 28, 1991.

Here is a link to the CFB HOF entry.

http://collegefootball.org/famersearch.php?id=50069

SbOrOiNaEnR
10/9/2008, 02:17 PM
Here are the pictures. This is such an amazing photograph:

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/2272/budshomecoming2vk4.jpg

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/81/budshomecoming1xh8.jpg

Surely, SOMEONE MUST REMEMBER BEING THERE!!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/9/2008, 03:16 PM
vatech - one of those games i was like what in the heck is going on here, because vatech blocked 2 kicks i think. i seem to recall there being a ton of controversy about inviting him back as a) it was the only time that OU ever honored him and b) supposedly they had to put a TON of pressure on donnie duncan to get it done.

OU86
10/9/2008, 03:22 PM
I wasn't there, so I don't know for sure, but I did know Nedwin a bit. I would not be at all surprised if it happened in 1991 and he mistakenly wrote 1989 on the photograph years after the fact. He was one of the most non-linear thinkers I ever met and the opposite of anal retentive about that kind of stuff.

OU86
10/9/2008, 03:24 PM
one of those games i was like what in the heck is going on here

describes for me almost every game I can still remember - and there are massive, massive gaps, like a drunken blackout - between 1989 and 1998.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/9/2008, 03:26 PM
well the 25 yard line sign is the clue, didn't they change those in 1990?

fadada1
10/9/2008, 03:28 PM
i was there for the game, but don't remember for some reason.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/9/2008, 03:38 PM
i was there for the game, but don't remember for some reason.

i was hoping that 04 would pop in and make sure i was remembering right. the only things i remember about that season are 0-10-1, the cash brothers, darian hagan returning punts (first and only time i ever remember the starting QB returning punts), and jesse jackson in the gator bowl...

stoopified
10/9/2008, 04:02 PM
i was there for the game, but don't remember for some reason.I was at thegame aswell but sadly I don't recall when it was or the opponent.My bdlearest meory of that day as Bud was introduced was how frail THE GREAT WHITE FATHER looked. The last time I had laid eyes on Bud was when he had benn coaching the Cardinals and I was shocked by his appearence.GWF is not my nickname for Wilkinson but one that I have read was used by his players at OU.

SbOrOiNaEnR
10/9/2008, 04:56 PM
Is it possible it could've been North Texas, September 14, 1991? I did a lot of research this past hour, and the link from the College Football Hall of Fame had the date wrong. The "Tribute to Bud" banquet happened on September 13, and I found a picture of him with DKR from the Daily Oklahoman archives the following day.

If it did indeed happen in 1991, it seems most likely that it was the North Texas game, since I can't imagine Bud coming down to OKC (didn't he spend the last few years of his life in St. Louis?) twice in one year, for as bad as I've heard his health was at the time.

Sooner04
10/9/2008, 06:01 PM
I remember it being the North Texas game. I remember the Virginia Tech game being played in VERY bright sunshine, whereas the UNT game had a weird cloud cover that made it a little hazy. The pictures reflect that.

I just found an excerpt online from a book called "An Autumn Remembered" and it lists the gala being held on September 13, which was the night before the UNT game. I don't remember the specifics of them bringing Bud out, but I want to say it was at halftime and that the ovation was very long and very loud.

He was VERY frail.

And my grandfather still calls him "The Great White Father".

jkjsooner
10/9/2008, 06:04 PM
Here are the pictures. This is such an amazing photograph:

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/2272/budshomecoming2vk4.jpg

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/81/budshomecoming1xh8.jpg

Surely, SOMEONE MUST REMEMBER BEING THERE!!

I was there but I don't remember which game it was. I definitely remember the ceremony.

King Crimson
10/9/2008, 06:10 PM
Bud died in 93?

SbOrOiNaEnR
10/9/2008, 07:17 PM
I remember it being the North Texas game. I remember the Virginia Tech game being played in VERY bright sunshine, whereas the UNT game had a weird cloud cover that made it a little hazy. The pictures reflect that.

I'll bet if 04 closes his eyes, and concentrates REALLY hard, he could remember OU football as coached by Bennie Owen. :D

Seriously, I've found that his Polaroid memory is very helpful, and makes for some great posts.

OU1988
10/9/2008, 11:16 PM
I was there but don't remember who we played. I took a picture of him while he was riding in the cushman cart as he was leaving the field. If I can find the picture, I can probably confirm the date and opponent.