PDA

View Full Version : All OU fans should read this before Saturday

chad
10/8/2008, 10:52 PM
http://soonersports.com/trads/what-is-a-sooner.html

College sports fans are hard-pressed to find a nickname that is as unique and as linked to a state's history as a Sooner. The University of Oklahoma is the only school known as Sooners.

The origins of Oklahoma's nickname stretch back to the Civil War era. The Homestead Act of 1862 provided that a legal settler could claim 160 acres of public land, and those who lived on and improved the claim for five years could receive title.

"Boomers" were settlers who favored the opening of unassigned lands in the Oklahoma Territory. In 1889, President Benjamin Harrison proclaimed the Unassigned Lands open for settlement.

At high noon on April 22, 1889, legal aspirants would be able to enter the Oklahoma Territory and choose 160 acres of land. The event soon became known as the "Oklahoma Land Run" or "Land Run of 1889". Settlers from across the globe, seeking free land, made their way to Oklahoma Territory to stake their claim to a new life.

The great dramatic moment came when, at the stroke of noon, starting signals were given at the many points of entry. In some instances it was given by a blue-clad military officer firing his pistol or by his trumpeter, at times by a citizen firing his rifle in the air, or, as at Fort Reno, by the boom of a cannon. All produced the same results -- a tumultuous avalanche of wagons and horsemen surging forward all in one breathtaking instant.

April 22, 1889, was a day of chaos, excitement, and utter confusion. But it was nonetheless a significant day in national history, one that gave birth to new hope for thousands of Americans and became an iconic image in the history of the west.

One of the few rules to claiming a lot of land was that all participants were to start at the same time. Those who went too soon were called "Sooners".

As time went on, "Sooner" came to be a synonym of Progressivism. The Sooner was an "energetic individual who travels ahead of the human procession." He was prosperous, ambitious, competent, a "can-do" individual. And Oklahoma was the Sooner State, the land of opportunity, enterprise and economic expansion, very much in the Progressive spirit that engulfed the old South in the 1920s.

OU athletics teams were called Rough Riders or Boomers for 10 years before the current Sooner nickname emerged in 1908. The university actually derived the name from a pep club called 'The Sooner Rooters.'

Today, the thunderous chants of "Boomer! Sooner!" roll across the Oklahoma landscape. The success of University of Oklahoma athletics teams over the years has made the nickname synonymous with winning.

I am tired of every year hearing ESPN, ABC or whoever is carrying the game, ask a handfull of OU 'fans' what a "Sooner" is and only 1 of the 10 knowing his/her history. Leaving 9/10 to look like fools and make the OU fanbase look bad.

When someone says to you, 'A Sooner is just another name for a cheater.' Now you have ammunition to fight back with knowledge about our great state and program.

Learn what it means, educate others in what it means, and most of all take Pride in what it means to be a Sooner!

Boomer Sooner!
Hook 'em

Soonerus
10/8/2008, 10:53 PM
Like we did not know that...

utex74
10/8/2008, 11:09 PM
"Land Thieves"
"Dirt Burglars"

Others?

Soonerus
10/8/2008, 11:11 PM
"Land Thieves"
"Dirt Burglars"

Others?

Texas beaters...

sooner59
10/8/2008, 11:12 PM
Well I have noticed from some posts on here that some people on this board likely still don't know that....[cough.....Lid.....cough]. Haha j/k.

tommieharris91
10/8/2008, 11:29 PM
"Land Thieves"
"Dirt Burglars"

Others?

:stunned: goonerz!!

MyT Oklahoma
10/8/2008, 11:41 PM
"Land Thieves"
"Dirt Burglars"

Others?

Which reminds me.. does anyone know why you can't garnish wages in Texas? Because it's in their state constitution. Seems the people who first settled Texas insisted upon no wage garnishments for some oddball reason, namely so everybody else couldn't make them pay their debts if they moved to Texas.

For tomorrow's history lesson we will discuss great moments in Texas sports. That will be a very short discussion of course. :D

BASSooner
10/8/2008, 11:58 PM
Texas beaters...

permission to use this as sig for the weekend? :D

SoonerBacker
10/9/2008, 05:52 AM
I would also point out that many of the "Sooners" in the land run had been part of the Boomer movement led by David L. Payne. They crossed early on the day of the run because they felt they should get first choice of the land due tothe fact that they had been the ones who had moved into the Unassigned Lands on numerous occassions prior to the opening of those lands, only to be run out by the U.S. Army.

Rightly, or wrongly, they felt they deserved the lands they had staked out in earlier settlement attempts. So, the "land thieves" label doesn't really apply to ALL Sooners of the land run era.

ousooners182
10/9/2008, 07:05 AM
and I would also point out that when people say our name means "cheaters"..not necessarily..i mean that is where the word derived from but its supposed to mean.

" a team that is ahead of the curve" Why Thank you NCAA football 2009 courtesy of EA Sports

Boomer_Sooner_sax
10/9/2008, 07:08 AM
Somebody please email this to SoonerMan and BoomerBoy

Boomer.....
10/9/2008, 08:16 AM
I second that.

SoonersEnFuego
10/9/2008, 08:54 AM
Yes, that was embarrassing.
I remember seeing that and thinking,
"Whaa? SoonerMan and Boomerboy don't know this??? Whaddaf***!!!"

hawaii 5-0
10/9/2008, 09:21 AM
Funny that Texicans love to call Oklahomans 'Land Theives' or 'Dirt Burglers'. Sure, at the start of the Land Run a lot of people jumped the gun illegally.

But where did those Cheaters come from?

They weren't already there. They had to be someplace before they came to Oklahoma Territory.

Well, a lot of the 'Land Theives' came FROM Texass.

5-0

jkjsooner
10/9/2008, 09:42 AM
As time went on, "Sooner" came to be a synonym of Progressivism. The Sooner was an "energetic individual who travels ahead of the human procession." He was prosperous, ambitious, competent, a "can-do" individual. And Oklahoma was the Sooner State, the land of opportunity, enterprise and economic expansion, very much in the Progressive spirit that engulfed the old South in the 1920s.

I love the name "Sooners" as it is very unique and a part of Oklahoma history. There are plenty of nicknames based on less than savory individuals and I have no problem with the origins of our nickname.

That being said, the above part sounds like revisionist history to me. A Sooner entered the territory early. It's as simple as that.

boomrsoonr
10/9/2008, 09:44 AM
Texas has no right to call Sooners anything. Not after what they did to those poor Mexicans. :D

picasso
10/9/2008, 10:05 AM
"Land Thieves"
"Dirt Burglars"

Others?

sincerely,

Wichita, Comanche and Apache living in Texas

the entire nation is chock full of squatters. doosh.

47straight
10/9/2008, 10:33 AM
"Land Thieves"
"Dirt Burglars"

Others?

Shut up, segregationist-until-the-70s.

StormySooner-IN
10/9/2008, 07:45 PM
Shut up, segregationist-until-the-70s.:D

76soonergrad
10/9/2008, 08:01 PM
Call Texas what it really is........

BAJA OKLAHOMA!

Cam
10/9/2008, 09:15 PM
Call Texas what it really is........

North Mexico!

Fixed.

guzziguy
10/10/2008, 03:06 AM
If it hadn't been for those Sooner settlers and the Mexican hookers, texas would have been a barren, uninhabited wasteland.