PDA

View Full Version : Dear Tejas... Your daily reminder...

the_ouskull
10/8/2008, 08:23 PM
...of why you suck and we rule.

And don't forget to check out the previous reminder if you're a new Whorn. We get a lot of those this week. We usually don't see them again. There's a lot of b*stard Whorn board handles out there.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2433357#post2433357

Anyway, on to today's reminder...

-----

Your God...

http://www.darrellroyal.org/darrell2004.jpg

...was just another Sooner.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/okla/graphics/m-footbl/archive/all-americans/darrell-royal-1949.jpg

I mean, sure, just like the exodus of Texas high school players across the Red River to Oklahoma now, Royal was interested in for Oklahoma the same things... Winning, Status...

...a coach that claps a lot.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/11064/davis_action_300.jpg

Okay, really he was just interested in winning and status. Who can blame him? In fact, he was so interested in them that he had to go to Tejas to give them those things... and they were so grateful that they named their stadium after him. Darrell K. Royal: The greatest humanitarian Sooner ever. It takes a lot of courage to work with "special needs" football players, but he made a career of it.

[Cue "Real Men of Genius" music...]

the_ouskull

CK Sooner
10/8/2008, 08:37 PM
J6nOCef3Hic[/

the_ouskull
10/8/2008, 09:38 PM
That might be every time he's ever touched the ball. Seriously.

the_ouskull

GottaHavePride
10/8/2008, 10:02 PM
http://www.tampatantrum.com/OU/all_stoops.jpg

proud gonzo
10/8/2008, 11:05 PM
http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/6485/bobpotterxx8.jpg
http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/7658/soonersdementorsur4.jpg

utex74
10/8/2008, 11:22 PM
And Darrell retired when he refused to try to match the cheating and corruption of Switzer and others. I'm sure it broke his heart to see his alma mater, The University of Oklahoma, sink to the depths that period took it. I may not like Stoops because he seems to have our number but he is a breath of fresh air for OU football in lots of ways. In my thinking, Stoops is the best thing to happen to OU since Wilkerson and he and Darrell could have been freinds like Darrell and Frank Broyles were.

OK2LA
10/9/2008, 12:30 AM
And Darrell retired when he refused to try to match the cheating and corruption of Switzer and others. I'm sure it broke his heart to see his alma mater, The University of Oklahoma, sink to the depths that period took it. I may not like Stoops because he seems to have our number but he is a breath of fresh air for OU football in lots of ways. In my thinking, Stoops is the best thing to happen to OU since Wilkerson and he and Darrell could have been freinds like Darrell and Frank Broyles were.

We cheat

We steal "your" players

We drink your beer

We f your girlfriends

We whip your ***

We go home

rainiersooner
10/9/2008, 12:43 AM

Up yours Whorn.

the_ouskull
10/9/2008, 06:49 AM
I think what the idiot meant to say is, "Royal retired because he was really old and couldn't "prove" the allegations of cheating against Switzer, and was tired of being out-recruited by him on the regular." He was just a crazy-*ssed old man, running around asking people to take lie detectors in a similar vein to Hitler giving everybody around him, including his dog Blondi, death capsules.

the_ouskull

aero
10/9/2008, 07:30 AM
We cheat

We steal "your" players

We drink your beer

We f your girlfriends

We whip your ***

We go home

perfect

aero
10/9/2008, 07:54 AM
DKR, as most Okies, sought out challenges and to be the best. He sought to be the best player on the best team in the best state. Later, his challenges to be the best coach led him to the state of texas where if he could coach a texas school to actually compete with and even win against the greatest college football program, surely it would indicate he had scaled a mighty mountain and become one of the best coaches. And although he accomplished his goal, through the hard work, high moral ethics, never say die attitude, and an affinity for those "less talented" - all traits that were naturally instilled in him as an Okie - he found the task to be too great to sustain, as the greatness of the OU football program and the greatness of the State of Oklahoma are far too formidable forces to be overcome with ease or consistency. Thus, Coach Royal, having become an icon - a true living legend with the deepest respect and love a texan could have for a person, truly "royalty" in the state of texas - decided to retire. While the natural benevolence of Okies allowed them to forgive Coach Royal (and even admire him for accomplishing such a monumental task), Coach Royal somehow felt he had betrayed his native state and felt he could not go back (it didn't hurt that he could live like a king among peasants). Thus Coach Royal remained in texas, like a thorobred out to pasture. As for the texas football team? They naturally named their sacred stadium after the Okie that led them to victory. And although they have had some success with another coach with ties to the OU program, they wait, still, for the possible coming of another teacher from the north. They know not his name, nor that he will come, but they pray that someday another great man of the Sooner State will bestow his kindness and knowledge upon them.

SoonerStormchaser
10/9/2008, 08:05 AM
[QUOTE=utex74;2436148]WilkersonQUOTE]

NEGSPEK JUST FOR THAT!

fossil
10/9/2008, 08:08 AM

:mad: Who the hell is Wilkerson????

XingTheRubicon
10/9/2008, 08:27 AM
Switzer kicked Royal's a** out of the game. Royal was a quitter.

The Maestro
10/9/2008, 08:39 AM
Royal did not like trying to recruit black athletes against Switzer.

One of them could relate...one of them couldn't.

boomermagic
10/9/2008, 01:31 PM

You obviously don't like Barry because he was a better recruiter than anyone in texas.. Tuff stuff, Live with it...

boomermagic
10/9/2008, 01:32 PM
:mad: Who the hell is Wilkerson????

Search me..

boomermagic
10/9/2008, 01:35 PM
DKR, as most Okies, sought out challenges and to be the best. He sought to be the best player on the best team in the best state. Later, his challenges to be the best coach led him to the state of texas where if he could coach a texas school to actually compete with and even win against the greatest college football program, surely it would indicate he had scaled a mighty mountain and become one of the best coaches. And although he accomplished his goal, through the hard work, high moral ethics, never say die attitude, and an affinity for those "less talented" - all traits that were naturally instilled in him as an Okie - he found the task to be too great to sustain, as the greatness of the OU football program and the greatness of the State of Oklahoma are far too formidable forces to be overcome with ease or consistency. Thus, Coach Royal, having become an icon - a true living legend with the deepest respect and love a texan could have for a person, truly "royalty" in the state of texas - decided to retire. While the natural benevolence of Okies allowed them to forgive Coach Royal (and even admire him for accomplishing such a monumental task), Coach Royal somehow felt he had betrayed his native state and felt he could not go back (it didn't hurt that he could live like a king among peasants). Thus Coach Royal remained in texas, like a thorobred out to pasture. As for the texas football team? They naturally named their sacred stadium after the Okie that led them to victory. And although they have had some success with another coach with ties to the OU program, they wait, still, for the possible coming of another teacher from the north. They know not his name, nor that he will come, but they pray that someday another great man of the Sooner State will bestow his kindness and knowledge upon them.

So very true !

TexasLidig8r
10/9/2008, 01:45 PM
You obviously don't like Barry because he was a better recruiter than anyone in texas.. Tuff stuff, Live with it...

Nothwithstanding the fact that one of OU's national championships under Switzer was won when OU was.. SHOCKER.. on probation and couldn't even play in a bowl game...

or....

In his book, he admitted that he had spied on Texas' practices despite the fact that he had vehemently denied it for years.

or....

In his book, he admitted to other instances of paying players at OU

or....

In an interview with the Arkansas Democratic Gazette in September of 2006, he admitted he paid Billy Sims $2,500 to return for his senior year

or....

well.. we don't even have to go into how the drugs, raping and shooting scandal caused the school to finally show him the door...

You mean... besides those things?

C&CDean
10/9/2008, 01:53 PM
I'd highly suggest keeping your pathetic vitriol confined to your very own homosexual thread Mr. Lid. My threshold and tolerance for your lack of a clue is bordering dangerously close to the "full" line. Confine your crap in one boot, or feel the pain.

boomrsoonr
10/9/2008, 02:01 PM

Gaylord Sartain?

boomrsoonr
10/9/2008, 02:03 PM
Nothwithstanding the fact that one of OU's national championships under Switzer was won when OU was.. SHOCKER.. on probation and couldn't even play in a bowl game...

or....

In his book, he admitted that he had spied on Texas' practices despite the fact that he had vehemently denied it for years.

or....

In his book, he admitted to other instances of paying players at OU

or....

In an interview with the Arkansas Democratic Gazette in September of 2006, he admitted he paid Billy Sims $2,500 to return for his senior year

or....

well.. we don't even have to go into how the drugs, raping and shooting scandal caused the school to finally show him the door...

You mean... besides those things?

Good to see you read his book. Studying?

TexasLidig8r
10/9/2008, 02:04 PM
I'd highly suggest keeping your pathetic vitriol confined to your very own homosexual thread Mr. Lid. My threshold and tolerance for your lack of a clue is bordering dangerously close to the "full" line. Confine your crap in one boot, or feel the pain.

Just wanted to counterbalance opinions with some factual background. But.. as you desire.. will keep the smack, no matter how factual, to that thread... although..

point of order..

If the alleged offending post is factual in nature, then is it considered smack .. or is it considered appropriate, "Obama-McCain" type debate material?

C&CDean
10/9/2008, 02:12 PM
Just wanted to counterbalance opinions with some factual background. But.. as you desire.. will keep the smack, no matter how factual, to that thread... although..

point of order..

If the alleged offending post is factual in nature, then is it considered smack .. or is it considered appropriate, "Obama-McCain" type debate material?

Strike 2.

0-2 count, bottom of the 9th.

soonerboomer93
10/9/2008, 02:13 PM
point of order

it's OU/texass week, and you're a ****ing whorn

c'mon lid, you know the rules

KantoSooner
10/9/2008, 02:30 PM
Lid, your 'facts' may or may not be true and may or may not have been published where you claim them to have been and may or may not be in context. They fall, though, into that vast trough of 'so what?'
What point do you intend on making (and your failure to do so brings a certain chagrin to those of us who actually have to pay lawyers - it's troubling to believe that a courtroom practitioner would speak so utterly past the point.)?

That Switzer and OU were widely suspected of 'cheating' and were penalized by the NCAA is a matter of public record. We can bitch about it, you can revel in repeating it; neither changes anything. He is still 'The King' and owned UT's azz most comprehensively.

What does, to my mind, seem of more import; and what you seem to have missed is:

Royal was a treasonous prick. That, too, is beyond debate.

Secondly, he did everything he could, fair means and foul, to keep up with OU, but epically failed. We could dredge through the tedium of who was charged with what violation,when, but you know as well as anyone else that UT has had its share of ethical lapses. Shall we call them 'house invasions' of the temple of good conduct? Perhaps 'carjackings' of the bus of legality?

The real point is that, no matter what means Texas has used to try and keep up with OU, ranging from countenancing of criminality, full embrasure of institutionalized racism, rampant deflation of the academic worth of the diplomas of anyone associated with UT athletics or what have you, the song remains the same: you guys just can't quite keep up.

And it irks, doesn't it? We are Okies. For the Disney Movie of your lives down there in Tejas to turn out 'right', we have to be dirty, stupid and most of all, failures in all we touch. But it hasn't worked out that way, has it? I'm guessing at your age now, but it would be a pretty safe bet that for the majority of your life, you've had to watch OU kick longhorn butt with what to you must be tedious regularity.

So, lacking anything of material substance to flesh out your 'smack' <the term 'weak sauce' comes to mind. mea maxima culpa.> you drift into the aggie-ism that is aimless accusations of 'cheating'.

We get that from those who wear the beanies of aggie-dom by right. But from you, sir, such words bring only weary disappointment.

Hie thee from here, texian, and prepare, in your own way, to meet your annual humiliation.

KRYPTON
10/9/2008, 03:45 PM
And Darrell retired when he refused to try to match the cheating and corruption of Switzer and others. I'm sure it broke his heart to see his alma mater, The University of Oklahoma, sink to the depths that period took it.

What... recruiting blacks?

(Hint: It's not actually considered cheating!)

TexasLidig8r
10/9/2008, 04:57 PM
Lid, your 'facts' may or may not be true and may or may not have been published where you claim them to have been and may or may not be in context. They fall, though, into that vast trough of 'so what?'

So what? Kanto you aren't really accepting of those instances are you with a blithely said, so what? Do you believe that any means to an end is appropriate?

What point do you intend on making (and your failure to do so brings a certain chagrin to those of us who actually have to pay lawyers - it's troubling to believe that a courtroom practitioner would speak so utterly past the point.)?

The point is it's Texas - OU week and whereas ordinary good graces and tactful diplomacy which is ordinarily my hallmark tend to be left at the door during this one week.

That Switzer and OU were widely suspected of 'cheating' and were penalized by the NCAA is a matter of public record. We can bitch about it, you can revel in repeating it; neither changes anything. He is still 'The King' and owned UT's azz most comprehensively.

There is no reveling.. it is what it is. Oh.. and Barry had a losing record against... Fred Akers. You will not change your mind on him nor will I.

What does, to my mind, seem of more import; and what you seem to have missed is:

Can the same thing be said about the high school kids from Texas who choose to play for Oklahoma? I do not choose to equate such vile term to them.. IF... they do it in the right way. Take Peterson for example. Would have loved to have seen him in burnt orange. He announced his decision and stuck with it.. did not try to "stick it" to UT as Ryan Perriliar did. He can still be respected as a professional athlete for his athletic ability. It is a shame that Okies can't exhibit the same toward DKR.

Secondly, he did everything he could, fair means and foul, to keep up with OU, but epically failed. We could dredge through the tedium of who was charged with what violation,when, but you know as well as anyone else that UT has had its share of ethical lapses. Shall we call them 'house invasions' of the temple of good conduct? Perhaps 'carjackings' of the bus of legality?

Under DKR, and in fact, there has not been a time when Texas was penalized from appearing on television or participating in bowls... the two sanctions reserved for the most egregious violations.

The real point is that, no matter what means Texas has used to try and keep up with OU, ranging from countenancing of criminality, full embrasure of institutionalized racism, rampant deflation of the academic worth of the diplomas of anyone associated with UT athletics or what have you, the song remains the same: you guys just can't quite keep up.

You have more MNCs.. that is not debatable... your series record against Texas is below par (indicating perhaps a weaker conference for the most part).. and of course, the question remains.. at what cost, including institutional integrity?

And it irks, doesn't it? We are Okies. For the Disney Movie of your lives down there in Tejas to turn out 'right', we have to be dirty, stupid and most of all, failures in all we touch. But it hasn't worked out that way, has it? I'm guessing at your age now, but it would be a pretty safe bet that for the majority of your life, you've had to watch OU kick longhorn butt with what to you must be tedious regularity.

A review of the history of Texas and OU shows streaks for both schools. In the 2000s, Texas is 2 - 6. In the 1990s, Texas was 7 - 2 - 1. In the 1980s, Texas was 4 -5 - 1. In the 1970s, Texas was 3 - 6 - 1. in the 1960s, Texas was 9 -1. History and stats do not support you on this point.

So, lacking anything of material substance to flesh out your 'smack' <the term 'weak sauce' comes to mind. mea maxima culpa.> you drift into the aggie-ism that is aimless accusations of 'cheating'.

Harmless smack is on the other thread and to comply with Dean's request, nay, directive to keep it there.. no smack is being repeated here.

We get that from those who wear the beanies of aggie-dom by right. But from you, sir, such words bring only weary disappointment.

The ultimate insult.. I may call you a f'in' hillbilly and other assorted names. .but.. aggy?... duels have been fought for less than that.

Hie thee from here, texian, and prepare, in your own way, to meet your annual humiliation.

Or.. a glorious day.

MyT Oklahoma
10/9/2008, 05:45 PM
Royal did not like trying to recruit black athletes against Switzer.

One of them could relate...one of them couldn't.

If the truth be known.. and it must.. the 1969 UT National Champions were the last all white team to do so. No real big surprise there, huh? :D

TexasLidig8r
10/9/2008, 05:50 PM
If the truth be known.. and it must.. the 1969 UT National Champions were the last all white team to do so. No real big surprise there, huh? :D

yeah... and universities in the south and southwest were just bastions of racial integration in the 60s.. just like they are today. :rolleyes:

badger
10/9/2008, 05:53 PM
yeah... and universities in the south and southwest were just bastions of racial integration in the 60s.. just like they are today. :rolleyes:

:mad: Dang it Lid, if you get banned before the game and we can't bet you will have a very angry badger.

Visual representation follows:
http://p.webshots.com/ProThumbs/59/66959_wallpaper280.jpg

TexasLidig8r
10/9/2008, 05:56 PM
:mad: Dang it Lid, if you get banned before the game and we can't bet you will have a very angry badger.

Visual representation follows:
http://p.webshots.com/ProThumbs/59/66959_wallpaper280.jpg

I'm BEHAVIN... I'm BEHAVIN !!!!

the_ouskull
10/9/2008, 08:14 PM

I hate to "Reply With Quote" and then leave the whole quote in there when I'm only making a small reply myself, because it bugs the sh*t out of me when other people do it, but, frankly, this thing was so brilliant, I wanted to see it get more run. If I weren't dehydrated, I'd have cried when I read it. See, I'm enough of a man to admit to it. Not a lot of men would admit to being dehydrated. They'd be all like, "No, I got plenty of water. I'm tough." Not me. I'm real.

I stretched my reply as long as I could. Sorry.

the_ouskull

the_ouskull
10/9/2008, 08:33 PM
Oh, and, at the time that the TV sanctions happened against OU, they were much more common. Now, because the piece of the television pie is so large, for a team to get hit with no-TV sanctions, they have to get caught with the proverbial bleeding hooker, or they have to suck badly enough that nobody important will complain when the NCAA "makes an example" of them to try to scare the USC's of the world from buying houses for the family's of the Reggie Bush's of the world.

...I'm still laughing at the "home invasion" and "carjacking" bit. That was nice work.

And, while we're at it, spare me all that Tier 2 crap that you Tejans usually try to spit out about the quality of your school. First of all, I don't think that it IS anymore, and second, if your school is so smart, how come all of your athletes are always getting caught doing something dumb? Are they not representative of the student population?

I mean, sure you've got like 60,000 students at UT Austin, and God knows how many at all of the satellite campususus, compared to about 25-30K for OU... If anything, it should be EASIER to catch OU students screwing up 'cause they've got fewer places to hide. But, at the same time, on a week like this, it makes me happy to think that, even though the "people" who are wearing burnt orange outnumber the heroes in crimson something like 100:3, it's just that many more people with no fashion sense that are going to go home crying while we tip the Golden Hat yet again.

Or, as Mexican illegals so succinctly put it: S*ck it, Tejas. We're going to set up shop here anyway.

And, before I go, always remember this guy:

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/image/2002/10/12/001077161.jpg

I know I'll always remember him around this time of year.

the_ouskull

Crimson_Balls
10/9/2008, 08:50 PM

You are so tough.

Eventhough he is a Texas fan and wears gay bow ties, Lid is right. Switzer was a cheater. I would much rather have class in our program and Stoops leading by example.

De"nile" is not a river in Africa Dean. AKA BadAss behind a keyboard.

XingTheRubicon
10/9/2008, 08:58 PM
You are so tough.

Eventhough he is a Texas fan and wears gay bow ties, Lid is right. Switzer was a cheater. I would much rather have class in our program and Stoops leading by example.

De"nile" is not a river in Africa Dean. AKA BadAss behind a keyboard.

Maybe you should browse more

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/7082/internetsc6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/internetsc6.jpg/1/w300.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img205/internetsc6.jpg/1/)

redhawk49
10/9/2008, 10:08 PM
The King a cheater??? Nah. I would much rather think that he was smart enough to use his own judgement.

TexasLidig8r
10/10/2008, 01:48 AM
The King a cheater??? Nah. I would much rather think that he was smart enough to use his own judgement.

Perhaps that is the very essence of a sooner fan..read the book (I have)... see the NCAA infractions... read the numerous interviews and admissions he has freely given since his time away from ou...

There is no question his teams won..but again..at what cost?

KantoSooner
10/10/2008, 09:10 AM
I will sally anon, but now to work I go. Don't take my temporary silence for surrender.
And for God's sake drop the insistence that UT have never broken any rules. Rule breaking was invented in the SWC and UT was, as I dimly recall, a major portion of that group.

OUmillenium
10/10/2008, 10:56 AM
YES! (Marv Albert)

boomrsoonr
10/10/2008, 11:04 AM
Perhaps that is the very essence of a sooner fan..read the book (I have)... see the NCAA infractions... read the numerous interviews and admissions he has freely given since his time away from ou...

There is no question his teams won..but again..at what cost?

C'mon Lid, pull your head out. Do you really think that giving a kid some money to go home for a holiday, or any of those other violations actually had an affect on the outcome of a game? You know, they still have to suit up, and they still have to go out there and bang heads together and get it done on the field. And they have to do it as a team.

It's not like he recruited and used NFL players to play those games.

KantoSooner
10/10/2008, 11:05 AM
Okay, I'm back and will try to hammer this out quickly as you are owed a response.

I. Means to an End?
No. Nor do you. Both teams have pulled boneheaded stunts over the years. I think neither has too much of an edge there....or do you forget the booster oil boys and their airplanes flying in and out of Austin during the sainted Darrell's career. Throw not pebbles, Lid.

II. I like your tactfulness. I see it and raise you an irk.

III. Players coming from Texas to play at OU and the related treachery of 'The Prick'
Here's the deal: Texas does not, and OU does not represent the entirety of their respective states. We both have aggies, for God's sake. Thus, where a person plays his high school ball has nothing, nada, zip to do with where they play college ball. That's a decision they make. A free will dealio. I understand that Texas has a more recent and intimate association with owning other human beings, but you must put this part of Texan history behind you and accept that many of your young men and women choose to go to Norman. They THEN become sooners.
DKR, on the other hand, was a sooner and then went to UT. That is treachery. His prick-ness was all of his own doing.

IV. The Record
I looked up the stats and here they are: from the beginning of the rivalry until 1945, Texas won 28 games. Since your total is 57 victories, that would indicate that more a whole lot of your 'success' was in what the Australian Aborigines refer to as 'The Before Time', that age in which men played football with either leather helmets or none at all (which might explain some things). They count, no doubt about that, they just don't count as much as what's gone on the last 50 years or so.

V. As to the duel, may I suggest competitive drinking? If I choose the weapons, then I choose Bai Jo, a Chinese liquor not unlike kerosine that smells vaguely of vomit. It'll at least make things quick.

Die Texas, Die!

TexasLidig8r
10/10/2008, 11:12 AM
kanto.. now THAT is a response I can respect.

Enjoy the game.

badger
10/10/2008, 11:18 AM
IV. The Record
I looked up the stats and here they are: from the beginning of the rivalry until 1945, Texas won 28 games. Since your total is 57 victories, that would indicate that more a whole lot of your 'success' was in what the Australian Aborigines refer to as 'The Before Time', that age in which men played football with either leather helmets or none at all (which might explain some things). They count, no doubt about that, they just don't count as much as what's gone on the last 50 years or so.

Die Texas, Die!

Psst - that was also the time before equality and such allowed everyone to play.

:mad: Of course, they have yet to include us girls on the field.

:mad: cheerleaders or girls in mascot costumes do NOT count.

aj44mc
10/10/2008, 11:44 AM
Sorry, If this has been posted before.

http://www.soonercartoons.com/cartoons/lateshow.html

KantoSooner
10/10/2008, 05:26 PM
Badger, anytime you want to play football with a bunch of old guys with gimpy knees and questionable morals, just email me. I'm sure we can put together a group that would be honored to include you.

You will have to put up a sort of 1970's zeitgeist, though: Zonker Harris style flare routes that might or might not end up on the field.

the_ouskull
10/11/2008, 12:08 AM
Prentice Gautt played at OU from 1956-1959. Eleven years after 1945. If you want an idea of how long eleven years is, think about this...

...eleven years ago, Blake was in his second season coaching our beloved Sooners. His starting QB for Week 6, also the Tejas game, in 1997 was Patrick Fletcher Justin Fuente Eric Moore Jarrod Reese Luke Wells.

No, that wasn't a typo. He, being Blake, found a way to start 4 QB's and the walk-on QB. From watching his teams up close and personal, he probably did it at the expense of an offensive line. In fact, that kinda sounds like a Blake formation... 5 QB's with a direct snap to the fullback playing tailback, throwing to the 5 RB's playing WR.

But yeah, HE won us that 2000 championship. It was alllllll Blake. Idiot.

the_ouskull