PDA

View Full Version : Does the POTUS

OUHOMER
10/8/2008, 04:00 PM
have so much power, that everything that goes wrong is his fault? I mean when does the senate or congress get some of the blame?

Don't get me wrong, I am a more than little disappointed in GW, but it sure seems to me that we have the other 2 to help keep things in check.

So why is everything GW's fault.

JohnnyMack
10/8/2008, 04:03 PM
He's a whorn.

OUHOMER
10/8/2008, 04:05 PM
He's a whorn.

Oh yea, I forgot:mad:

lexsooner
10/8/2008, 04:07 PM
have so much power, that everything that goes wrong is his fault? I mean when does the senate or congress get some of the blame?

Don't get me wrong, I am a more than little disappointed in GW, but it sure seems to me that we have the other 2 to help keep things in check.

What checks and balances? When the GOP controlled Congress and the White House for six years? I think the same problems will arise when the Dems control both next year. As far as w goes, I think part of it is he just, well, looks so stupid and talks so stupidly.

SoonerStormchaser
10/8/2008, 04:22 PM

I'm planning on discussing that in a later thread...I'm just trying to figure out how I'm gonna word it without getting a vacation.

yermom
10/8/2008, 04:28 PM
i think it's because he's "The Decider"

JohnnyMack
10/8/2008, 04:30 PM
i think it's because he's "The Decider"

CFefI29TVi4

Werd.

C&CDean
10/8/2008, 04:38 PM
Hell, you don't even have to be the prez to get blamed for ****. McCain hasn't even been voted in yet, and he's already to blame for the craphole economy, but JM's boy Bray is clean as a whistle.

So, I guess it's true that white males are to blame for everything; just like Dr. Dorscine Spigner-Littles, the racist **** at OU proclaimed from her pulpit while eating Cheetohs and drinking Fanta Grape.

lexsooner
10/8/2008, 05:38 PM
Hell, you don't even have to be the prez to get blamed for ****. McCain hasn't even been voted in yet, and he's already to blame for the craphole economy, but JM's boy Bray is clean as a whistle.

So, I guess it's true that white males are to blame for everything; just like Dr. Dorscine Spigner-Littles, the racist **** at OU proclaimed from her pulpit while eating Cheetohs and drinking Fanta Grape.

Wrong. Obama handled the crisis with calm. But McCain is being blamed for acting like a loon in response to the economic crisis, by his proclamation to suspend his campaign and the debates, and flying to D.C. after the initial bailout bill was already drawn up and doing essentially nothing, and then declaring the crisis largely solved so he could participate in the first debate. People looked at him and went "WTF?" Then last night he came up with some off the cuff lunacy about a $300 billion dollar home mortgage bailout plan which caught everyone off guard, including his own advisors.

No, nobody is blaming McCain for the economic crisis. They are just seeing him as an unpredictable and erratic candidate who is grasping at straws and losing badly. He actually ran a pretty good campaign up until a few weeks ago, when he started to implode. His behavior the past few weeks is part of the reason Obama is pulling away and is White House-bound. The hard fact is Obama seems much more Presidential, Mr. Cool, young, vibrant, and in charge, while McCain comes off as an unpredictable, cranky, strange, stiff old man. It may not be fair, but that's how it is.

Sooner_Havok
10/8/2008, 05:43 PM
No, nobody is blaming McCain for the economic crisis.

I'm blaming him. Along with 99 other Senators, 535 Congressmen, 4 Congressional Delegates, 1 Resident Commissioner, 1 POTUS, & 1 VP. But, who's counting right :D

Ardmore_Sooner
10/8/2008, 05:49 PM
I have wondered the same thing Homer. The Congress has had a lower approval rating than Bush for quite awhile. But the "last eight years" saying keeps getting tossed around, yet Bush and the pubs have done very little in the past 2 years.

OUHOMER
10/8/2008, 07:04 PM
I am just tried of all the blame being laid at his feet, granted some of it is his fault.

But give me a break, the Dems are just as guilty, hell all of them are just as guilty.

USCMichigander
10/8/2008, 07:12 PM
Since Van Buren the American public has felt that what happens under a President is the effect of that President, and that is simply not true. I feel the best way to gauge how good a President is is assessing that President 20 years later.

I think Bush will be vindicated by history much like Truman was.

LosAngelesSooner
10/8/2008, 07:24 PM

So why is everything GW's fault.Standard Modern Day Rules of Political Blame:

If you're a Republican President coming after a Democratic President, then all the bad things that are happening are the old President's fault.

If you're a Democrat President following a Republican President then all the good things that are happening are the previous President's doing.

If you're a Republican President with a Democratic Congress and the economy is going great, then it's your doing and if the economy is doing poorly then Congress controls spending and you have no say so.

If you're a Democrat President with a Republican Congress and the economy is going great then Congress controls spending and you have no say so because they're blocking your efforts to drive the economy into the ground with your taxing and spending policies, but if the economy is doing poorly it's because you are destroying small business owners and hurting corporations with your tax and spend policies.

THE ONE EXCEPTION TO THE RULE:
If you're so arrogant that you ignore the will of the people, blindly say you don't pay attention to polls and don't read anything and claim to know what's best for America despite what every expert says and THEN bad things happen, all the blame for everything (your fault and not your fault) gets heaped onto your back and, coincidentally, your name immediately becomes George W. Bush.

So it is said, and so will it be, sayeth Karl Rove and the Neo-Con movement. To disagree makes you a Communist, a terrorist and an enemy of America and freedom.

:D:D:D:D

LosAngelesSooner
10/8/2008, 07:29 PM
I have wondered the same thing Homer. The Congress has had a lower approval rating than Bush for quite awhile. But the "last eight years" saying keeps getting tossed around, yet Bush and the pubs have done very little in the past 2 years.Besides set the record for filibustering in only 6 months in an effort to keep the Congress from being able to accomplish anything at all.

But we can ignore that fact, can't we??? ;)

OUHOMER
10/8/2008, 07:30 PM
Standard Modern Day Rules of Political Blame:

If you're a Republican President coming after a Democratic President, then all the bad things that are happening are the old President's fault.

If you're a Democrat President following a Republican President then all the good things that are happening are the previous President's doing.

If you're a Republican President with a Democratic Congress and the economy is going great, then it's your doing and if the economy is doing poorly then Congress controls spending and you have no say so.

If you're a Democrat President with a Republican Congress and the economy is going great then Congress controls spending and you have no say so because they're blocking your efforts to drive the economy into the ground with your taxing and spending policies, but if the economy is doing poorly it's because you are destroying small business owners and hurting corporations with your tax and spend policies.

If you're so arrogant that you ignore the will of the people, blindly say you don't pay attention to polls and don't read anything and claim to know what's best for America despite what every expert says and THEN bad things happen, all the blame for everything (your fault and not your fault) gets heaped onto your back and, coincidentally, your name immediately becomes George W. Bush.

So it is said, and so will it be, sayeth Karl Rove and the Neo-Con movement. To disagree makes you a Communist, a terrorist and an enemy of America and freedom.

See I knew there was a reasonable answer to the question:D

LosAngelesSooner
10/8/2008, 07:30 PM
Since Van Buren the American public has felt that what happens under a President is the effect of that President, and that is simply not true. I feel the best way to gauge how good a President is is assessing that President 20 years later.

I think Bush will be vindicated by history much like Truman was.Uhm, no.

Bush will go down as one of the top 5 worst President's in U.S. history. Mark it.

Vaevictis
10/8/2008, 07:35 PM
Truman -- won WWII while in office.
Bush -- leaves wars to his successor.

Truman -- asks for sacrifice to win the war.
Bush -- asks people to indulge to win the war.

Truman -- refuses oil-related misadventure in the Middle East.
Bush -- proposes oil-related misadventure in the Middle East.

Truman -- The Buck Stops Here.
Bush -- "Nobody could have foreseen that terrorists would..."

Bush vindicated like Truman? Doubtful. Bush doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath, unless it's to say how incredibly short of Truman's mark he was.

USCMichigander
10/8/2008, 07:36 PM
Uhm, no.

Bush will go down as one of the top 5 worst President's in U.S. history. Mark it.

You and I can speculate, but the effects of the eight years of Bush, particularly on the foreign policy front, cannot be assessed accurately now. Would you agree?

Heck, even Clinton played a part in an economic crisis we are in now. Not pointing the finger at him, but he played a part. The effects of a President's administration and policies aren't confined to eight years, heck, maybe not even to twenty years. To be fair, Bush's legacy could become even more of a wreck, but I highly doubt it.

I think what he's done to Islamic extremism is a big plus and will have lasting effects, but I think the bailout is going to crash and burn. Bush has done some things quite well, but others not so well.

Time will tell ;) .

LosAngelesSooner
10/8/2008, 07:45 PM
You and I can speculate, but the effects of the eight years of Bush, particularly on the foreign policy front, cannot be assessed accurately now. Would you agree?

Heck, even Clinton played a part in an economic crisis we are in now. Not pointing the finger at him, but he played a part. The effects of a President's administration and policies aren't confined to eight years, heck, maybe not even to twenty years. To be fair, Bush's legacy could become even more of a wreck, but I highly doubt it.

I think what he's done to Islamic extremism is a big plus and will have lasting effects, but I think the bailout is going to crash and burn. Bush has done some things quite well, but others not so well.

Time will tell ;) .You like USC.

I cannot agree with you over anything. On principle.

;)

soonerscuba
10/8/2008, 07:56 PM

So why is everything GW's fault.The concept of a unitary executive either puts you on the dime or penny for what a courageous and far sighted kicker of asses you were or puts in the company of Bush.

There are many unpopular things this president has done via signing statements that supersede congressional authority, such allowing torture to lowering the mercury emission standards for factories.

There is a very noticeable trend with these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_federal_executive_orders

USCMichigander
10/8/2008, 07:59 PM
You like USC.

I cannot agree with you over anything. On principle.

;)

:bsmf:

:)

Condescending Sooner
10/9/2008, 08:59 AM
Standard Modern Day Rules of Political Blame:

This is coming from our resident Republican. I hope you lie better to your significant other,

LosAngelesSooner
10/9/2008, 01:01 PM
This is coming from our resident Republican. I hope you lie better to your significant other,See the smiley faces?

They represent that it was a JOKE.

Welcome to the Internets. Gift bags are to the right. :rolleyes:

StoopTroup
10/9/2008, 01:04 PM

I think Barney Frank got to chew on an a$$ corncob too.