PDA

View Full Version : No huddle offense and substitutions

Dan Thompson
10/8/2008, 02:59 PM
What is the substitution rule for no huddle offenses?

Do the players have to report to the Refree or some other offical?

Do you think the tempo will be greatly increased on offense?

What are the possiblities of Gresham or Johnson playing as a lonesome end, like Carpenter did at Army a few years ago?

BoulderSooner79
10/8/2008, 03:43 PM
There is no special rule for the no huddle offense that I know of. The rule on substitution is that if the offense substitutes, then the defense is allowed to as well. I noticed the line judge with his arms extended to the sides and fists clenched when the offense substitutes and the ball isn't snapped until he lowers the arms. There must be a time limit on subs or the defense wouldn't have enough time on the play clock to counter.

As far as tempo is conerned, it is easier for the offense to dictate with the no huddle. They can bleed the play clock to zero if they want to, but can start the play as soon as the ref is ready. If they don't sub, they can stop the D from subbing by starting the play before the D is ready.

I'm sure there are down-sides to the no huddle. The ones I could think of are
- more chance for miscommunication
- more chance for the D to intercept play calls
- maybe the O-line gets fatigued in the down stance ?
- makes it tough for TV to show the replays :)

Flagstaffsooner
10/8/2008, 03:47 PM
We got called for that last Sat.

BoulderSooner79
10/8/2008, 04:01 PM
We got called for that last Sat.

I noticed that and there was no penalty; they just called no play. I'll bet there is a rule change on that sometime - I would think it would be a delay of game.

tigepilot
10/8/2008, 04:55 PM

As a former offensive lineman I can assure you that when the QB extends the time for taking the snap after the line is in their stance farther than normal, whether it be to take a closer look at the defense or to make an audible or whatever, that is excrusiating (spelling?). There were several times this season where I saw them rush up to the line only stay in stance for a long, long time and I was amazed that were able to do that over and over again and not cause hardly any penalties of their own.

meoveryouxinfinity
10/8/2008, 04:57 PM
As a former offensive lineman I can assure you that when the QB extends the time for taking the snap after the line is in their stance farther than normal, whether it be to take a closer look at the defense or to make an audible or whatever, that is excrusiating (spelling?). There were several times this season where I saw them rush up to the line only stay in stance for a long, long time and I was amazed that were able to do that over and over again and not cause hardly any penalties of their own.

they are 98% muscle, 2% chuck norris.

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/8/2008, 05:06 PM
I believe Bob Stoops told Loadholt that if he were offsides even once this year, he would kill him.

SoonerInLubbock
10/8/2008, 05:26 PM
I'm sure there are down-sides to the no huddle. The ones I could think of are
- more chance for miscommunication
- more chance for the D to intercept play calls
- makes it tough for TV to show the replays :)

Add one more... When watching on TV, the first part of the play gets cut off because even the TV stations can't keep up. I've been getting so frustrated this year because I miss half the play, they keep yapping about this or that and then....oh the play started.

ABC/ESPN, FSN and any others learn to keep up with the Sooners:pop:

Dan Thompson
10/8/2008, 05:52 PM
Can a player come into the game without reporting to someone, just step in on the sideline?

OUstudent4life
10/8/2008, 06:15 PM
I believe Bob Stoops told Loadholt that if he were offsides even once this year, he would kill him.

I think Stoop's actual words were "I will end you."