PDA

View Full Version : Beyond Football for a bit...

44BluesExplosion
10/8/2008, 01:57 PM
I went to OU. My father was the team doctor for Switzer at OU and then again in Dallas. I grew up surrounded by Oklahoma football. I can remember playing catch with Keith Jackson on Owen field just prior to the kickoff against Nebraska. I can remember walking up to Brian Bosworth in the weight room hoping to get an autograph and running like hell when he growled at me. He caught me (4.4 speed and all) and gave me a practice jersey.

I mean, I've lived Oklahoma football for a very long time.

In any case, I now live in Austin, TX and as such, I'm surrounded by orange. It's not always a bad thing. A few days ago, I happened to be around a meeting of UT players and injured Iraqi war vets. It's was pretty special...

Even on this week, I have to admit... There are some pretty good kids on that team. Young guys with bright eyes, good intentions, and great hearts. It's comforting for some reason.

All that said, I hope we kick their asses this weekend.

Boomer Mooner
10/8/2008, 02:09 PM
You lost me until the last part of your last sentence, the part after the comma.

boomrsoonr
10/8/2008, 03:30 PM
You lost me right after you said, "In any case, I now live in Austin, TX and as such, I'm surrounded by orange." Wanna give it another try? This time, I'll pay attention.

olevetonahill
10/8/2008, 04:02 PM
Good Post and Very tru.

rainiersooner
10/8/2008, 04:07 PM
There are some pretty good kids on that team. Young guys with bright eyes, good intentions, and great hearts.

Bollocks!!! They whorns - kill 'em!!! ;)

UberSooner
10/8/2008, 04:12 PM
Your suprised that many college athletes are good people regardless of their college affiliation? That this rivalry thing is really driven by us rabid fans rather than the fact that the other team is in fact, completely evil? Er . . . that's great . . . no really.

44BluesExplosion
10/8/2008, 04:37 PM
Your suprised that many college athletes are good people regardless of their college affiliation? That this rivalry thing is really driven by us rabid fans rather than the fact that the other team is in fact, completely evil? Er . . . that's great . . . no really.

You don't understand this rivalry unless you get that feeling in your gut every time you see that burnt orange color... Even if it's on something harmless - like a coffee mug.

Right or wrong, I can't stand the site of a UT football uniform. It hurts me.

Growing up around this rivalry and being bread around the stories and games makes you that way.

If you aren't of the same mind, good for you... But don't pretend to be better.

Trust me, this rivalry goes way past the fans. Only someone too high on their own views would think that. This is what makes college football great. Those kids care. Those coaches care. This weekend's event is more than a football game.

Partial Qualifier
10/8/2008, 04:48 PM
Pound-for-pound, 44Blues = the best football poster on this board and it's not even close. In my opinion. 34 posts!? Dude you need to weigh in more often.

They may be good guys, 44Blues, but the ****'s gonna hit the fan this weekend -- and OU is the fan.

:)

C&CDean
10/8/2008, 04:55 PM
You don't understand this rivalry unless you get that feeling in your gut every time you see that burnt orange color... Even if it's on something harmless - like a coffee mug.

Growing up around this rivalry and being bread around the stories and games makes you that way.

Trust me, this rivalry goes way past the fans. Only someone too high on their own views would think that. This is what makes college football great. Those kids care. Those coaches care. This weekend's event is more than a football game.

Hear him.

AllAboutThe'O'
10/8/2008, 05:37 PM
I once had a boss who was a big Longhorn fan. Great guy and all and helped my career tremendously but, still, he was a Longhorn fan.

I also used to work in East Texas. Bunch of Longhorn fans there who were actually great people and I had good dealings with them for the most part. Plus, I was there during the Mackovic era so they weren't too bad to deal with. But, they were still Longhorns.

UberSooner
10/8/2008, 07:06 PM

I'm sorry if I got you in a twist, but that is an Aggy post. I love my University (grad in Letters) and I love my football team, but when my fandom becomes defined by a hatred, so all encompassing that I am literally, without any hyperbole, suprised to the point of comment on a message board, to find decent and patriotic young men donning my rivals colors, then I am beyond jacked up. I have become Aggy jacked up. That kind of jacked up that throws down the upside down horns sign at a win in Washington.

I expect it from the OSU faithfull. They are by definition, Aggy jacked up. I just hate to see it from a Sooner.

Partial Qualifier
10/8/2008, 08:33 PM
^^
:confused:

8timechamps
10/8/2008, 09:51 PM
Great post 44!

bluedogok
10/8/2008, 10:38 PM
I have found living here in Austin I get less crap about my OU sticker on my pickup or shirt/hat than I did when I lived in Dallas. Sure there is a bunch of orange crap around here but it isn't as overwhelming to me as the OSU people that I was faced with in OKC...there were WAY too many in my office up there.

mojohornfan
10/8/2008, 11:44 PM
Yeah, we're good people!

Soonerinatex
10/9/2008, 01:37 AM
I, too, am a Sooner living in Austin. Raised in Norman from the 3rd grade through OU grad (Norman High class of 88'). Moved to Austin in 97'. As a 3rd grader I honestly thought that being an OU football player was a career, something I told my parents and teachers that that's what I wanted to be when I grew up.

Having said that, Austin = good people.

The undergrad UT fans are usually annoying and ignorant, but weren't we all at 19-20 yrs old to some degree (I'm sure I was)? They don't understand the tradition of their own program much less the tradition of this rivalry.

44blues nailed it though, burnt orange hurts your soul. We are surrounded by it each day. And it sucks.

34-17 BOOMER!

Ardmore_Sooner
10/9/2008, 01:59 AM
I'm sorry if I got you in a twist, but that is an Aggy post. I love my University (grad in Letters) and I love my football team, but when my fandom becomes defined by a hatred, so all encompassing that I am literally, without any hyperbole, suprised to the point of comment on a message board, to find decent and patriotic young men donning my rivals colors, then I am beyond jacked up. I have become Aggy jacked up. That kind of jacked up that throws down the upside down horns sign at a win in Washington.

I expect it from the OSU faithfull. They are by definition, Aggy jacked up. I just hate to see it from a Sooner.

I'm going to request you stop posting in this thread.

47straight
10/9/2008, 10:32 AM
If they're decent and patriotic UT students, then they're quite the few. My buddy got mostly sneers when wearing his BDU's on campus.

batonrougesooner
10/9/2008, 10:41 AM

I'm with Uber on this one.

StoopTroup
10/9/2008, 10:41 AM

I'm not sure what road took you to Austin in life...

But I'm pretty sure some folks here would help you move back to the Promised Land as long as it wasn't during Football Season.

If the guards aren't paying attention and you see a pattern break in their routine...lets us know....

We'll give it our best shot at breaking you out of that hellhole. :D

Good Posts...I know it must be tOUgh for yOU right now...

CHIN UP ! !

44BluesExplosion
10/9/2008, 01:08 PM
The point Uber is making is valid. I don't like the way he communicated it, but to each his own.

I fully admit to being cursed... I have a bad month when OU loses. I have a bad year when they lose lots. I get sick to my stomach after a loss. I get down. I get depressed. I have no problem admitting that I shouldn't, that I'm sick, and that I should never commit myself emotionally on a bunch of kids... It's my problem, not Uber's.

A great example... In 1996, I was still going to OU. If you recall, despite absolutely terrible play calling and coaching, we beat Texas in a crazy comeback (30-28?). At the time, I was hanging out with Stephen Alexander quite a bit. The monday after the game, we were sitting at my house enjoying our day off from classes. I looked over and he was literally shaking.

"What's up Steph?"

"I can't F!@#$@# believe we beat TEXAS!"

He still wasn't over it yet. And ya know what, I wasn't either. Obviously, Stephen had a lot more invested than I did, but it didn't matter so much... We both had the sickness.

Later that day, we ran into Jarrail Jackson (a very good guy). He was playing pickup basketball (a big no/no during the season) at a frat house and just generally hanging out. I asked him if it had sunk in yet. His answer? Had what sunk in yet? He wasn't sick.

In any case, there isn't a lot I can do to explain myself or change anyone's mind about my viewpoint. There is no medicine I can take. There is no cure. I just have to go on... one day at a time... living with this red blood.

Partial Qualifier
10/9/2008, 01:50 PM
I'm confused.. 44Blues says: although he loves to beat Texas (as most of us do), he's witnessed some of the Texas guys being good people.
Uber then says his post was Aggy-like, and at least one person agreed with him.

huh wut !? :confused:

The posts + the responses are no makey sensey. 44Blues was trying to inject some perspective into the OU/TX Hatred Sweeps Week going on here. Not being condescending or cross, just saying -- I think y'all are in agreeance on most levels.

tommieharris91
10/9/2008, 02:15 PM

Last I checked, our Sooners were playing our rival Texas this week. Any other week during the season, this post is well, aggy. This week, since we are playing our biggest rival, it fits.