PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Heisman Watch - October 7

Ardmore_Sooner
10/7/2008, 12:59 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/heisman/index

badger
10/7/2008, 01:04 PM
This is what drives me nuts about the Heisman - nobody does their homework, they just board the failboat propelled by the hype windbags.

I say this because their top four Heisman candidates are all quarterbacks, but more specifically, Big 12 quarterbacks. Nothing agianst the Big 12 or quarterbacks, but I know there are more talented players out there if they didn't just bother to find the top player on the BCS-bound team every year, or just have the Heisman winners vote for their own school's top players (*cough* Carson Palmer! *cough*).

Of course I want Sam to win it, but it will look highly questionable if he is up against others at the exact same position from the exact same conference at the end of the year.

CK Sooner
10/7/2008, 01:06 PM
I can't wait until Mizzou starts losing some games.

Its going to happen.

starclassic tama
10/7/2008, 01:09 PM
have to agree with badger here. the heisman is the most overrated award in sports. simply look at the fact that 1 defensive player and no lineman have ever won the award. so according to the heisman, the best player every single year is a flashy QB or RB on a flashy team.

CK Sooner
10/7/2008, 01:11 PM
have to agree with badger here. the heisman is the most overrated award in sports. simply look at the fact that 1 defensive player and no lineman have ever won the award. so according to the heisman, the best player every single year is a flashy QB or RB on a flashy team.

I agree that the Heisman system isn't right.

It is not overated though.

Jason White's Third Knee
10/7/2008, 01:20 PM
I agree that the Heisman system isn't right.

It is not overated though.

It's overrated because of the poorly executed system. It's given away too early and politics has too much to do with it. It rarely pics the most outstanding player in college football. I was disappointed when Weinke won it and I've been disappointed every year. (Glad that JW won it, but still)

badger
10/7/2008, 01:34 PM
I can't wait until Mizzou starts losing some games.

Its going to happen.

Can you wait until December? :)

Seriously, I know that they are the No. 2 or No. 4 team in the country (depending on whether you like coaches or journalists better, lol) now, but there is no team in the Big 12 I fear less than Mizzou.

You never knew if Baylor would have a career day against us, much like Iowa State did last year (you have to admit you were a little scared then, right?). KSU always have the potential to take out your starting quarterback in the most thug-like way, A&M may stink worse than ever, but they can still pull miracles out at Kyle when desperate to save a coach's job (right, Texas?), and I could continue on to every team besides Mizzou, because unlike other teams, you know exactly what to expect with Mizzou: phail.

Chase Daniel will choke back and fumble into our defense's arms as he rides the fumble/INT recovery into our endzone, Gary Pinkel will make a constipated face, Chase will sit on the gatorade tub and pout in the most roided out way, and... no Heisman :D

Seriously, I want Sam to win it, because national awards are cool, but I don't want yet another gah gah final with the top players from the top schools. Last year did a good job of this by having a Hawaii guy, a Arkansas guy and a Mizzou guy, but the fact that yet another Florida QB ended up winning was :(

sooneron
10/7/2008, 01:38 PM
Does anyone consider Ron Dayne OR Wisc "flashy"?

StoopTroup
10/7/2008, 01:42 PM
I bet OJ would pull a gun on you for his.

badger
10/7/2008, 01:46 PM

I should beyonce slap you, but I won't, because you're not the one in the red here, winky winky! :D

Ron Dayne's Heisman was due to everything falling into place for him, much like the national title game for the Ohio State University last year. Every other team lost, so congrats, you are the least sucky record right now not inlcuding Hawaii! Congrats!

In Dayne's case, the other top candidates at the beginning of the year were injured.

Also, it came down to politics and media, which I think other people mentioned on here as Heisman drivers. He had the career rushing record (and for those that are already thinking "Who gives an eff about Ron Dayne and Wisky," remember that he beat Texas' Ricky Williams rushing record a year after he set it, lol) and all previous record holders won the Heisman.

starclassic tama
10/9/2008, 12:44 PM

considering he set the all time d-1 rushing yards record, yes

badger
10/9/2008, 02:36 PM
Watching Ron Dayne was kind of funny. Remember how people laughed at Ricky Williams because he was overweight upon trying to go NFL'ing? Well, Dayne weighed even more. He was like Ja'porky Lane without the sideline crying. He was fast, yes, but then again, looking back, I probably didn't know what "fast" looked like up in Big 10 country.

So was he "flashy?" Not really. He wouldn't have a highlight reel comparable to Little Joe or Barry Sanders with a lot of juking and jumping. However, like Ricky Weed Williams, he could take a lot of punishment and be given the ball over and over, yes still gain yardage every time.

josh09
10/9/2008, 02:57 PM
hmm sammy and chase have the exact same passing yards.

SbOrOiNaEnR
10/9/2008, 03:06 PM
This is what drives me nuts about the Heisman - nobody does their homework, they just board the failboat propelled by the hype windbags.

This is a great Heisman site:

http://heismanpundit.com/

Not saying he doesn't follow the hype windbags, but the man does his homework, knows what he's talking about, and is good for an entertaining read.

Soonerfan88
10/9/2008, 09:51 PM
The Heismanpundit.com/Orlando Sentinel Heisman Poll is made up of 10 Heisman voters from across the country and will be conducted each week during the college football season. The idea is to get a good sense of voter sentiment as the season progresses. The panel votes for five players each week. Tabulations are made on a 5-4-3-2-1 basis, with five points for a first-place vote, four points for a second-place vote, three points for a third-place vote, two points for a fourth-place vote and one point for a fifth-place vote.

Members of the panel include: Mike Bianchi of the Orlando Sentinel, Olin Buchanan of Rivals.com, Tom Dienhart of Rivals.com, Bruce Feldman of ESPN.com, J.B. Morris of ESPN The Magazine, Jenni Carlson of The Oklahoman, Austin Murphy of Sports Illustrated, B.J. Schecter of Sports Illustrated, Stewart Mandel of Sports Illustrated and Dick Weiss of the New York Daily News.

WTF?!?!? So she is the subject of one little tirade that got a small slice of air time and suddenly she's on Heisman panels???

starclassic tama
10/10/2008, 12:36 AM
hmm sammy and chase have the exact same passing yards.

and bradford has 3 more TD passes. but daniel is still apparently the best QB there is...?

SbOrOiNaEnR
10/10/2008, 12:42 AM
WTF?!?!? So she is the subject of one little tirade that got a small slice of air time and suddenly she's on Heisman panels???

Chill. That's a very small, very random sampling. There are 925 official Heisman voters (mostly media members, plus every former living member gets a vote, and there's one fan vote). She's a college football beat writer for the major, statewide daily in a football-crazed state. Tramel and Trotter have votes, too.