PDA

View Full Version : Red Zone offense

Mazeppa
10/7/2008, 07:59 AM
You would think red-zone conversion percentage (how often a team scores when it gets inside the opponent's 20 yard line) would be a crucial statistic that would distinguish the best teams in college football from the rest of the pack. However, after the first three weeks, the results are a little surprising. Eight teams have scored every time that they have been in the red zone: Oklahoma, Northwestern, Toledo, Troy, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Hawaii and North Texas. The combined record of these eight teams is only 14-12. What do you make of this? (from ncaa.org)

Aries
10/7/2008, 09:29 AM
What do you make of this? (from ncaa.org)

That there are three kinds of liars.

1) Liars

2) D*** liars

3) Statistics

Mad Dog Madsen
10/7/2008, 09:36 AM
You would think red-zone conversion percentage (how often a team scores when it gets inside the opponent's 20 yard line) would be a crucial statistic that would distinguish the best teams in college football from the rest of the pack. However, after the first three weeks, the results are a little surprising. Eight teams have scored every time that they have been in the red zone: Oklahoma, Northwestern, Toledo, Troy, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Hawaii and North Texas. The combined record of these eight teams is only 14-12. What do you make of this? (from ncaa.org)

I've always wondered what red-zone was. Thanks! :rolleyes:

Widescreen
10/7/2008, 09:36 AM
Does seem odd. I guess some teams get a lot of turnovers in their opponents red zone or something.

StoopTroup
10/7/2008, 09:38 AM

You need an avatar BTW. :D

http://www.mazeppa.com/Mazeppa8.gif

TopDawg
10/7/2008, 09:41 AM
What do you make of this? (from ncaa.org)

Red zone percentage only tells half the offensive story. If a team gets in the red zone one time all year and makes a FG, they're at 100%. You need to know how many times they got to the red zone. I'm guessing those other teams haven't gotten there quite so often.

BoulderSooner79
10/7/2008, 09:46 AM
I'd say it's an incomplete stat (I guess they all are). I'd like to see the average number of times per game each teams gets in the red zone. Then I'd add in the number of times a team scores from outside the red zone on big plays - call that the "Manny Johnson" stat :D I think a big play should be included in red zone scoring because the guys has to run through the red zone, right? It also avoids the possibility of a redzone field goal or failure.

fadada1
10/7/2008, 11:06 AM
syracuse might have only been there once.

TopDawg
10/7/2008, 11:17 AM
Heh. They haven't been there the least of anyone in the Top 50 in that category (tied with Army and North Texas with 12 visits). The 'Cuse has gotten 4 passing TDs, 4 rushing and 4 FG.

There are only 4 teams with at least 5 games and fewer red zone trips: Florida International with 8, and Utah State, Wyoming and the Fighting Chuck Longs of San Diego State all with 11.

TopDawg
10/7/2008, 11:18 AM
I don't know about you all, but it makes me happy to know that Notre Dame is at the bottom of the list...the only team with a sub.500 rate.

19 trips, 5 passing TDs, 4 rushing TDs, 0 FGs = 47%

TopDawg
10/8/2008, 04:57 PM
I started thinking about that stat again last night and it made me laugh.

So far this year, Notre Dame has left the red zone with NO points more often than they've left with any points.

That's greatness.

Statalyzer
10/8/2008, 05:54 PM
You would think red-zone conversion percentage (how often a team scores when it gets inside the opponent's 20 yard line) would be a crucial statistic that would distinguish the best teams in college football from the rest of the pack.

Actually, no I wouldn't think that.