PDA

View Full Version : My murder trial starts tomorrow.

SicEmBaylor
10/7/2008, 01:39 AM
So, my murder trial starts tomorrow. I'm being charged with 1st degree murder. =(

Well, sort of...my roommate is in law school and has a semester of practice court. They need someone to play the defendant, so I was given a brief on the facts of the case and have to testify tomorrow in my own defense.

I hope to God my roommate is a decent defense attorney; because, I don't think death row would suit me. =(

I'm playing a retired firefighter who had an affair with my next door neighbor's (and bestfriend) wife. He finds out about it and makes threatening gestures and statements. So, an argument occurs one morning and I shoot and kill him but I'm claiming self-defense.

This is going to be fun.

tommieharris91
10/7/2008, 01:51 AM
So, my murder trial starts tomorrow. I'm being charged with 1st degree murder. =(

Well, sort of...my roommate is in law school and has a semester of practice court. They need someone to play the defendant, so I was given a brief on the facts of the case and have to testify tomorrow in my own defense.

I hope to God my roommate is a decent defense attorney; because, I don't think death row would suit me. =(

I'm playing a retired firefighter who had an affair with my next door neighbor's (and bestfriend) wife. He finds out about it and makes threatening gestures and statements. So, an argument occurs one morning and I shoot and kill him but I'm claiming self-defense.

This is going to be fun.

This is like the complete opposite of you.

When I clicked on this, I thought it was about that new girl you just met. You really should have learned from Carlton Dodson about hiding someone's body out in the middle of nowhere. :texan:

SicEmBaylor
10/7/2008, 01:57 AM
Surely I can pass myself off as a 55 year old retired firefighter.

Penguin
10/7/2008, 02:05 AM

Oh, just take a Silver Centrum and drink some Metamucil. You'll do fine.

olevetonahill
10/7/2008, 02:44 AM
Bro , Youd have a Hard time passin yerself Off as a 5 year old .
WTF are you sayin.:rolleyes:

Flagstaffsooner
10/7/2008, 05:12 AM
Once again Sicem gets laid in make believe.

frankensooner
10/7/2008, 09:15 AM
Did you bore him to death? ;)

StoopTroup
10/7/2008, 09:32 AM

Special Thanks to Bri for this one...:D

NSFW

W-JjldxU-pA&feature=related

Fugue
10/7/2008, 10:03 AM
I think death row would be better for you than general pop. :eek:

Okla-homey
10/7/2008, 10:14 AM
if you want to hose your roomie, go off script and start answering his questions during Direct in unplanned ways. And think out loud. a lot. Lawyers Worst Nightmare.

Fugue
10/7/2008, 10:17 AM
yes, get your own lawyer to declare you hostile.

Okla-homey
10/7/2008, 10:21 AM
yes, get your own lawyer to declare you hostile.

He doesn't even have to "declare" it under the FRE. All he has to do is change-up his line of questioning, but it'll rattle the guy something fierce.

Fugue
10/7/2008, 10:28 AM
He doesn't even have to "declare" it under the FRE. All he has to do is change-up his line of questioning, but it'll rattle the guy something fierce.

That reminds me, I was going to ask this the other day cause I was too lazy to look it up. Does OK strictly follow/match the FRE in state cases?

SicEm, throw in a, "you can't handle the truth."
You could have a ton of fun with this.

frankensooner
10/7/2008, 10:33 AM
We had a real jerk of a Prof for trial practice. One day we were practicing Voir Dire and each person had a secret nugget we were supposed to ferret out, like one guy had a son in prison for voluntary vehicular manslaughter, another guy was an alkie, and the person the point of this post, a rather unattractive woman was the victim of domestic abuse. Well, after completeing voir dire, the prof asked the student who was the abused wife and the guy correctly identified the gal. The prof said, other than the way she looks, how did you know?

EVIL! ;)

Half a Hundred
10/7/2008, 10:49 AM
Start ranting about how you were a firefighter, and how you saved lives, and how emergency workers get too little respect in the world, and how smug the prosecution is, and of course, end it with "I drive a Dodge Stratus"

That'll be sure to work

SicEmBaylor
10/7/2008, 01:59 PM
if you want to hose your roomie, go off script and start answering his questions during Direct in unplanned ways. And think out loud. a lot. Lawyers Worst Nightmare.

I asked what would happen if the prosecutor had a "Matlock" or "Perry Mason" moment and I felt compelled to break down and admit the entire thing. He's sort of scared I'm going to do that...

frankensooner
10/7/2008, 02:01 PM
So what if you do, you did kill the guy.

Just remember, you were afraid for your life. You had to defend yourself.

SicEmBaylor
10/7/2008, 02:03 PM
Actually, it would be hysterical if I went Helander and declared, "Just to be clear. After a year of mostly positive experience, I decided to become an elite sponsor..."

Nobody would know what the hell I was talking about, but I would be amused.

SicEmBaylor
10/7/2008, 02:04 PM
So what if you do, you did kill the guy.

Just remember, you were afraid for your life. You had to defend yourself.

Right, I would be admitting that the killing was pre-meditated and that I intended to get into a confrontation for the purpose of killing.

Frozen Sooner
10/7/2008, 02:05 PM
You're in Texas, right?

Just answer everything with "Sumbitch needed killin'."

frankensooner
10/7/2008, 02:08 PM
The fact that you were arguing and he had previously threatened you would probably take murder one off the table. I see a big hill to climb for the prosecution, unless the wife just took out a million dollar life insurance policy of the mister and the two of you had been looking at houses. ;)

SicEmBaylor
10/7/2008, 02:10 PM
The fact that you were arguing and he had previously threatened you would probably take murder one off the table. I see a big hill to climb for the prosecution, unless the wife just took out a million dollar life insurance policy of the mister and the two of you had been looking at houses. ;)

Well, the wife did get a pretty big windfall from his life insurance. I am trying to claim that she wanted me to kill him for the insurance money, but I refused to use it. My roommate doesn't think that'll ever come up at trial though because it's here say.

SicEmBaylor
10/7/2008, 03:35 PM
I'm sitting here at the law school and I still haven't been called to testify. I'm getting tired of sitting here -- I wish they would hurry it up.

frankensooner
10/7/2008, 03:39 PM
I'd hate for you to miss the Barbecue.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/7/2008, 05:15 PM
And don't ghey up the hard work and good name our retirees have cut out for us. Remember, you like steak n' taters, ain't afraid of whiskey, and have a hard time flexing your hands because you've scorched your knuckles one too many times.

Oh, and you like poosy. And you haven't been that scared for your life since the first time you ate smoke and kicked *** as your captain laughed at you for puking on the lawn.

SteelClip49
10/8/2008, 09:30 AM

Being a Baylor fan and seeing all those games, certainly you could age a bit looking all mopey and droopy seeing the same result over and over and over. ;) :P

StoopTroup
10/8/2008, 10:22 AM
I think you know exactly how to answer everything...try to stay in character. :D

http://cdn-www.answerbag.com/images/answers/163896/513978/tmb_slingblade.jpg

Take a lawnmower blade and a file in with you.

SicEmBaylor
10/8/2008, 02:22 PM
The trial was a lot of fun. I was on the stand for well over an hour though; because, the professor kept stopping to critique the attorneys and offer advice. Admittedly, the prosecutor was much much better than my roommate/defense attorney so I got hammered pretty badly in the cross-ex. It was fun though.