PDA

View Full Version : Today's economy: Beer and Booze

Penguin
10/6/2008, 10:41 PM
If you had purchased $1,000 of shares in Delta Airlines one year ago, you will have $49.00 today.

If you had purchased $1,000 of shares in AIG one year ago, you will have $33.00 today.

If you had purchased $1,000 of shares in Lehman Brothers one year ago, you will have $0.00 today.

But, if you had purchased $1,000 worth of beer one year ago, drank all the beer, then turned in the aluminum cans for recycling refund, you will have received $214.00.

Based on the above, the best current investment plan is to drink heavily & recycle. It is called the 401-Keg.

A recent study found that the average American walks about 900 miles a year.

Another study found that Americans drink, on average, 22 gallons of alcohol a year.

That means that, on average, Americans get about 41 miles to the gallon!

Makes you proud to be an American!

proud gonzo
10/6/2008, 10:43 PM
but I don't drink beer from cans.

Penguin
10/6/2008, 10:46 PM

And you call yourself a redneck. :mad:

proud gonzo
10/6/2008, 10:48 PM
I don't think i've ever called myself that. In face, i'm pretty sure i've mentioned several times that i'm frighteningly pale.

that's beside the point. there is a FLAW in your reasoning.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/6/2008, 11:00 PM
I ve only met PG once, but I m pretty sure she is not a redneck...Now that brother of hers....heel--billy

proud gonzo
10/6/2008, 11:17 PM
well... I DID have some OVJ last week. so i guess i'm about 3-shots-worth of redneck

Penguin
10/6/2008, 11:19 PM
You idiots! You don't literally have to have an actual red neck in order to be a redneck!!!!

It's all in the attitude!!! You people drive me crazy!!!!!!!

Great! Just great! I'm going to need my doc to up my meds again! :mad:

tulsaoilerfan
10/6/2008, 11:27 PM
If you had purchased $1,000 of shares in Delta Airlines one year ago, you will have $49.00 today.

If you had purchased $1,000 of shares in AIG one year ago, you will have $33.00 today.

If you had purchased $1,000 of shares in Lehman Brothers one year ago, you will have $0.00 today.

But, if you had purchased $1,000 worth of beer one year ago, drank all the beer, then turned in the aluminum cans for recycling refund, you will have received $214.00.

Based on the above, the best current investment plan is to drink heavily & recycle. It is called the 401-Keg.

A recent study found that the average American walks about 900 miles a year.

Another study found that Americans drink, on average, 22 gallons of alcohol a year.

That means that, on average, Americans get about 41 miles to the gallon!

Makes you proud to be an American!

What about all that beer u can recycle? Surely there has to be value to that:D

proud gonzo
10/7/2008, 12:08 AM
You idiots! You don't literally have to have an actual red neck in order to be a redneck!!!!

Great! Just great! I'm going to need my doc to up my meds again! :mad:but, i said i'm not a redneck and i don't drink beer from cans (except a couple of cans this summer because they were on special at the bars and i wanted to stay at par for bar golf...but that's a special circumstance) so what's the problem?

olevetonahill
10/7/2008, 12:11 AM

bitches man bitches . :P

olevetonahill
10/7/2008, 12:13 AM

Great! Just great! I'm going to need my doc to up my meds again! :mad:

Paging OU Doc , Paging OU Doc we need you STAT .

Chuck Bao
10/7/2008, 02:01 AM
Heh! I'm drunk enough to publicly call out the Bank of Thailand. They read my stuff or so they tell me. I'm taking sick leave today because I couldn't find my way to my office if I tried on the drunkie train.

My *** is probably already kicked and I don't know it.

The BOT should go ahead and cut interest rates

Don't think about it. Do it.
Up until yesterday, we held the opinion that the Bank of Thailand's Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) would keep interest rates unchanged at its meeting tomorrow (Wednesday, October 8). We were also expecting wording on the MPC press release to clearly indicate that focus had shifted from worries about inflation to worries about the slowing global economy and US financial crisis quickly worsening and spreading. We were expecting this MPC announcement to be widely interpreted as an increasing possibility of a rate cut at the next MPC meeting on December 3. However, with the current global equity market meltdown and the seizing up of the US credit market, we now think that the MPC should act sooner rather than later and cut interest rates tomorrow.

Bigger problems than inflation
November Nymex crude closed at US$87.81 per barrel yesterday, down $6.07, or 6.5%. This is a massive drop from the peak of over US$140 per barrel in July. We currently forecast Thailand's year-end headline inflation (CPI) and core inflation to ease to 4.80% and 2.09%, but this forecast is still well behind the rapidly changing market, as it is based on a global crude oil price of US$110/barrel. Let it be said then that inflation is not the key concern now.

Global interest rates are being slashed
There are some economists who are expecting the US Fed to cut interest rates as much as 50bps ahead of its next meeting on October 28-29. This view is gaining credence as the Fed now has more leeway to cut rates with the recent strengthening of the dollar and the flight to quality to treasury bills. The fact is that Europe has its own financial crisis and the typically staunch European central bank has little choice but to go along with member countries launching their own bailout or bank guarantee schemes. Even more revealing is the unprecedented amount of money that the Fed has had to make available to financial institutions in the US and abroad to keep the global financial system functioning.

How does Thailand fare in this financial crisis?
Thailand is not directly affected by this financial crisis. Thai banks have very little exposure to foreign financial paper, but Thai banks do have counter party risk and are indirectly exposed. The key is weakening external demand as the global economy slows. Thai banks have huge exposure to the Thai export manufacturing sector. Thailand's export sector is clearly slowing and the outlook is not promising. As internal demand has remained relatively weak over the last several years, the export sector has been the primary engine for economic growth. We are currently forecasting GDP growth of 5.00% for this year and 4.00% for next year. Our forecasts may again be behind the rapidly changing curve. A quicker slowdown is possible and we believe the Bank of Thailand should be adjusting to this.

Foreigners are selling out, we have to look to domestic demand
Thai stock market investors fully realise that foreigners net sold Bt128bn so far this year. The amount of selling could further intensify with the confidence crisis in the global financial sector and on mutual fund redemptions. Foreign selling and slowing export growth has led to a weakening baht and a weaker baht is not a bad thing. Given the much slower export growth potential, however, stimulating domestic demand seems the best way to counter the slowdown. So again, we are looking to the Bank of Thailand and the possibility of a rate cut.

A marked shift
The Thai government bond yield curve seems to be already reflecting this potential for a near-term rate cut. The yield curve has shifted down by about 10-25bps since the end of September.

http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/kanunu/govbondyieldcurve.jpg

proud gonzo
10/7/2008, 09:42 AM
you used essaygenerator.com, didn't you. ;)

badger
10/7/2008, 12:41 PM
you used essaygenerator.com, didn't you. ;)

Who needs to write a college paper when you can have an automatic paper generator do it for you? :D

And yes, this is an excellent argument... just think... if you spend $20, $30 on a stock now, if that same stock went down from $1,000 to $20, then gee by golly, it must be rearin' to hop back up to $1,000 in no time! :D

(fyi, I really do speak like Sarah Palin and it's awful. I have improved on it since moving down here seven years ago, but during weak moments, i will go back to sounding canadian)

Penguin
10/7/2008, 01:02 PM
(fyi, I really do speak like Sarah Palin and it's awful. I have improved on it since moving down here seven years ago, but during weak moments, i will go back to sounding canadian)

http://www.capitolhillblue.com/cont/files/newsimages/100308palin.jpg

Gee, golly, badger! There ya go again!