PDA

View Full Version : Already sick of the Muschamp jerkfest

cjames317
10/6/2008, 05:58 PM
Here, the hornheads are giggling over what Muschamp's D is gonna do, saying "Remember the Sugar Bowl against LSU? That was Muschamp's defense." Well, I looked it up. Here was Muschamp's defensive line in that game:

DE Marquise Hill (drafted by and played for Patriots)
DE Marcus Spears (drafted by and starting for Cowboys)
DT Chad Lavalais (All American; drafted by and played for Falcons)
DT Kyle Williams (drafted by and starting for Bills)

Don't think the horns' DL compares with that bunch.

Half a Hundred
10/6/2008, 06:07 PM
Here, the hornheads are giggling over what Muschamp's D is gonna do, saying "Remember the Sugar Bowl against LSU? That was Muschamp's defense." Well, I looked it up. Here was Muschamp's defensive line in that game:

DE Marquise Hill (drafted by and played for Patriots)
DE Marcus Spears (drafted by and starting for Cowboys)
DT Chad Lavalais (All American; drafted by and played for Falcons)
DT Kyle Williams (drafted by and starting for Bills)

Don't think the horns' DL compares with that bunch.

That line also got manhandled by one Kejuan Jones whenever we shifted into a power running formation. I'd continue, but then again, having an opinion about the San Diego State coach is rather irrelevant this week, isn't it?

Brons2
10/6/2008, 06:13 PM
Well, they gotta make ratings on ESPN somehow.

I think Muschamp is doing a good job, and is a big upgrade over what we've had previously, but he can't work miracles. The talent in the secondary is young and green.

kevpks
10/6/2008, 06:16 PM
How many times have we heard this about Texas defensive coordinators? "This year it's different. This year we lift weights. This year is the year get physical. We hit each other in practice now."

Brons2
10/6/2008, 06:18 PM
Well in 05 and 06, they meant it :D

Partial Qualifier
10/6/2008, 07:06 PM
I had nightmares about that Spears dude for weeks

SoonerDood
10/6/2008, 07:21 PM
I'm not sure Kyle Williams was on that team. The other dude in the middle might have been Oliver #90.
I do know that Jammal Brown likes to point out the only time Spears did anything was the one time dropped off into coverage. It was Hill vs. Sims that was the nightmare. Lavalais did as much as Tommie Harris that game.

OU86
10/6/2008, 08:18 PM
Texas' competition to date has been dreadful. TCU is better than any team they have played. U Cinn., with their starting QB, probably is too. Baylor is better than Fla. Atlantic, UTEP, Arkansas and Rice (did you see how many points Tulsa hung on Rice last week?) and would probably split a home and home with Colorado in its current composition (missing 3 starting OL). These teams would have been lucky to cross the 50 even once against that LSU defense.

Salt City Sooner
10/6/2008, 09:01 PM
I'm sure that White having a broken throwing hand & foot had NOTHING to do with LSU's success that night. :rolleyes:

BHud
10/7/2008, 12:41 AM
Schedule smack? Seriously? Have you seen OUs, up to this point? Not that CU is some barometer of football achievement, by any stretch, but up to this point its the toughest comepetion either squad has faced, TCU included.

SOONERnTx
10/7/2008, 12:59 AM
not that it matters, but what was colorado ranked????

OU_Sooners75
10/7/2008, 03:50 AM
Schedule smack? Seriously? Have you seen OUs, up to this point? Not that CU is some barometer of football achievement, by any stretch, but up to this point its the toughest comepetion either squad has faced, TCU included.

The only thing bringing down OU's SOS is the fact that we played UT-Chatt.

Other than that, when we match things up (I will go from top to bottom and using Anderson & Hester computer rankings)....

OU Opponent first....

#31 TCU vs. #47 Colorado = Good game, but TCU would win this thanks for their defense.
#32 Cincy vs. #55 Rice = Cincy would beat the living crap out of Rice.
#75 Baylor vs. #69 Arkansas = This would be a push game. Ranking edge to Arky, Baylor could very easily win this game.
#113 Washington vs. #84 UTEP = UTEP would win this game but not by much.
D-1AA UT-Chatt vs. FAU = FAU would win this game.

Seems to me that OU has played a lot tougher competition, and like I said, the only edge Fexass has is the fact that OU had to play a D-1AA team, which hurts the SOS.

BIG_IKE
10/7/2008, 05:03 AM
IT will all be settled this weekend...
That being said, as I have stated before...this is the best Front 7 I have seen the Horns have..including 05'. This new coach reminds me of Chizik quite a bit,

OU_Sooners75
10/7/2008, 05:36 AM
It is the best front 7 you have seen them have?

Let me see here. In 2008, Texas has played ZERO teams with a winning record that is worth a crap!

So yeah, things will be inflated.

ousooners182
10/7/2008, 05:52 AM
agreed

Jacie
10/7/2008, 05:53 AM
If he's all that then he will be another one-and-done DC, something that has developed into a habit for them, hire hotshot defensive guy one year . . . he takes head coaching job the next.

BIG_IKE
10/7/2008, 06:03 AM
Im just saying this is the best Complete front 7 they have had. The have a MLB from the National Chmpionship team, plus 2 outside LB's that are more athl;etic and aggressive than anyone they have had since Derrick Johnson, as well as 4 seniors on the D-Line. Melton and Orakpo are VERY fast defensive ends. I know we hate Texas and all..but they have a realy really good front 7. I know they have not played anyone, but I REALLY think we are kinda blowin them off. But Im sure our coaches arent and thats what matters.

fadada1
10/7/2008, 06:05 AM
Well in 05 and 06, they meant it :D

in spite of mack brown...

;)

aurorasooner
10/7/2008, 06:41 AM
Interesting comments coming out in the press this AM. I'm glad Sam has a year under his belt and our offensive line is good at pass blocking. Kevin Wilson vs Muschamp, I don't know. Hopefully, we haven't showed anywhere close to all of running game blocking schemes and sets, and we'll be able to move the chains for at a minimum 2 or 3 first downs per series as well as taking our shots with their secondary. The winner of the OU offense vs the Texas Defense Saturday will probably vault the co-ordinator to the top of the next year's head-coaching watch list. On our defensive side of the ball, we got to make the plays, no brick-hands pick drops, and sure wrap-up tackling, as well as good big legal hits on McCoy when we get the chance on his scrambles.
Some read-between-the-lines press hype head-games for the fans starting to show up. It's about time that some of these CFB writers actually earned their money and quit getting all their stories from the CFB message boards 2 days late, imo.
Ft. Worth Star Telegram on Muschamp.
On leading the nation in sacks:

"I don’t worry about that. Stats are for losers. I like winning games."
On stopping a talented passer like OU’s Sam Bradford:

"The best pass defense in America is a rush. You’ve got to be able to get home with four. That’s something we need to keep preaching to the kids."
On the importance of personnel vs. scheme in his job:

"I’ve never coached a bad player to play good."http://www.star-telegram.com/college_sports/story/956843.html
[and interesting quotes from Kevin Wilson in the DO
Offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson was asked if Murray, who had off-season knee surgery, is carrying the same explosion into the Texas game that he did last year.

"I don’t know. For example, (Saturday) there’s a number of times in our perimeter play where our blocking wasn’t what it was the previous game. But sometimes those plays are his burst,” Wilson said. "He practices every day, he runs every sprint, he’s full go. We don’t hold him out of anything.”
"To say we have a problem that DeMarco’s not healthy, I don’t know,” Wilson said. "I think DeMarco will play better. All those backs will play better. We need to get them practicing a little better.”:confused: http://www.newsok.com/ou-notebook-clayton-earns-co-defensive-player-honors/article/3308207

OU86
10/7/2008, 08:54 AM
"The best pass defense in America is a rush. You’ve got to be able to get home with four. That’s something we need to keep preaching to the kids."

Please please please let that be their strategy. Please please please let them think that getting a rush with the front 4 against Colorado's 2d team OL, Rice - we gave up 63 to Tulsa - Arkansas et al means that will work against OU. Please please please let them vastly overestimate their capabilities - again.

Im just saying this is the best Complete front 7 they have had. The have a MLB from the National Chmpionship team, plus 2 outside LB's that are more athl;etic and aggressive than anyone they have had since Derrick Johnson, as well as 4 seniors on the D-Line. Melton and Orakpo are VERY fast defensive ends. I know we hate Texas and all..but they have a realy really good front 7. I know they have not played anyone, but I REALLY think we are kinda blowin them off. But Im sure our coaches arent and thats what matters.

What about their performance to date suggests their front 7 is better than TCU's?

tooslow
10/7/2008, 09:21 AM
I hope some of you guys are right. When I heard Muschamp was heading to Texas, I was concerned. He had one of the best defenses in the SEC at Auburn. He really knows how to fire up his defense. Hell, he would seem to be running up and down the sidelines foaming at the mouth during some games. What worries me even more is the fact that OU has seemed to coast after halftime over the last few games. I know, I know, they have huge leads and are holding back. If they are truly holding back, why not send in the second and third teamers to run the basic plays? Hopefully the staff will unleash a hellacious assault on Saturday.

StoopTroup
10/7/2008, 09:26 AM

That's all well and good but texas would probably lose to tcu.

47straight
10/9/2008, 10:25 AM
Guys, don't you know? Muschamp CUSSES! Texas is going to patent this innovation in coaching.

allentxsooner
10/9/2008, 11:41 AM
I for one am scared as well, If they can get pressure or run crazy blitzes at us and get Sam hurt that will be bad. I hope we get the quick short passes going and the hurry up, the faster the better, this doesnt allow the defense to get set.

The Maestro
10/9/2008, 12:59 PM
While Coach Willy had some big wins, his defenses gave up 30-plus points in each of the last 3 meetings with Georgia. Other teams laid the lumber to them.

As far as him being credited with the LSU defense in the national title game against us...um...Nick Saban had a LOT to do with that and a team full of future NFL players on that side of the ball. Oh, and the game being in the hell hole of NoLa.

Luther and Dobber from Minnesota State might have this texas team at 4-0 compared to the competition they have faced. So the fact Coach Willy's team is 96th in pass defense against those powerhouses of FAU, Rice, Arky, UTEP and Colorado doesn't impress me...AT ALL! Prove it Saturday.

MextheBulldog
10/9/2008, 01:51 PM

Yes, but you forget to factor in the complete youth of their secondary. Not to mention, starting two freshman safeties. I don't care how good yer front seven is, if you cannot cover on the backside, you're toast. Yes, this is a different day and age when it comes to freshman (they play early and often and are prepped for it) - but this is no ordinary game. You don't understand this game until you witness it first hand. Can you say: Deer in headlights?

If any o-line is equipped to handle that front, its this year's Sooner o-line. Not to mention you have one of the best blocking TE's ever (Eldridge) who can support where needed.

Yeah, I agree, their DL looked very, very good against CU. But Sam will have time to throw when they do not blitz. And when they do blitz, look out secondary - I bet the Sooner coaches are salivating over possible 1 on 1 coverage.

silverwheels
10/9/2008, 01:55 PM

No. It may have been tougher simply because it was at CU, but the Buffs are not a better team than TCU this year. Not even close.

adoniijahsooner
10/9/2008, 01:57 PM
Please please please let that be their strategy. Please please please let them think that getting a rush with the front 4 against Colorado's 2d team OL, Rice - we gave up 63 to Tulsa - Arkansas et al means that will work against OU. Please please please let them vastly overestimate their capabilities - again.

What about their performance to date suggests their front 7 is better than TCU's?

In my opinion TCU is smaller and swifter which always gives us problems; but all I saw from Texas against CU was a bunch of bullrushing and pushing their way pass the oline. If they do that saturday, sam will have all day to throw the ball.

SoonerWally
10/9/2008, 02:30 PM
I am not very fond of statistics (Figures don't lie, but liars sure can figure), but their secondary hasn't really been tested by anyone but Rice.

Opponent/Passing YPG Rank/Avg Passing YPG/Passing Yards v Tex.

1. FAU / 45th / 237.3 / 255
2. UTEP / 51st / 222.2 / 267
3. Ark / 32nd / 251.6 / 180.0
4. Rice / 10th / 309.0 / 301.0
5. CU / 72nd / 205.0 / 217.0

Maybe Texas was out to big leads so other teams had to abandon the run, maybe Texas pulled their starters, who's to say? I don't know, but it seems like an awful lot of yards to give up when you are putting as much pressure on the quarterback as they are.

KRYPTON
10/9/2008, 03:28 PM
They hired Chizik and everyone was concerned.

Scott D
10/9/2008, 04:05 PM
To be honest, Muschamp may have held a staff position, but on that 2003 LSU team he wasn't much more than a glorified position coach. That was Saban's defense through and through.

stoopified
10/9/2008, 04:20 PM
I'm sure that White having a broken throwing hand & foot had NOTHING to do with LSU's success that night. :rolleyes:Damn,I was going to mention that little fact.H ow about the GREAT MUSCHAMP currently has a pass D ranked in the 90's nationally against a weak scedhule?I see another 300+yard game for Sam.

cjames317
10/9/2008, 05:20 PM
Damn,I was going to mention that little fact.H ow about the GREAT MUSCHAMP currently has a pass D ranked in the 90's nationally against a weak scedhule?I see another 300+yard game for Sam.

And we'll see Muschamp bleed? Maybe just a little?

cvsooner
10/9/2008, 06:24 PM
I believe Texas also struggled against UTEP until the 4th quarter. It was nip and tuck there for a while.

Went and looked at stats. (http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2008-2009/ut2.html) UTEP led early and it was 28-13 going into the fourth quarter. Stats-wise, UTEP held their own. Not sure why they didn't do better. Guess it proves the old saw about yards don't matter but points do.