PDA

View Full Version : OU's weak point ?

ratedrsuperstar
10/6/2008, 12:00 PM
Listening to the espn radio this morning and they were talking about how all of the NFL teams had weak spots or points that they tried to hide or scheme away from to keep it from hurting them and it got me to thinking as to what would be considered the sooners weak point that they try to hide or hope it doesn't hurt them to bad ??

Kick coverage is one thing I can think of.

JLEW1818
10/6/2008, 12:04 PM
We cant, I repeat CANT let Colt McCoy run the football. If we apply pressure on him, the horns are done! AND DON'T GO FOR THE BIG HIT. Take care of those 2 things, the rest will take care of itself. We are clearly better. That is just what I think. I think blitzing Texas Quarterbacks have helped us a lot in the past, anybody know of any times in particular. >>??? hehe

BermudaSooner
10/6/2008, 12:11 PM
If our DEs crash down on the fake to the RB and Colt McBoy is able to run or pull up for a throw, I'm concerned.

I'd also like to have seen DeMarco's break away speed, but haven't seen it yet. Here's to hoping I see it first hand on Saturday.

TexasLidig8r
10/6/2008, 12:15 PM
lack of speed on your offensive line, particularly the tackles.

West Virginny attached you from the corners with their defensive ends being able to utilize their speed to get past the tackles and put pressure on Bradford. They spread you out a bit and were able to attack the gaps.

Bradford has had all day to throw the ball for the last two years. When pressure has been applied, his ability to quickly go through his reads and pick up secondary receivers has been exploited.

Soonermagik
10/6/2008, 12:15 PM
If we have to kick a 40 yard field goal to win I would be worried.

Our kicker (Stevens) seems to be sneaking a lot of extra points in. I know, I know, he's young, but it still scares me. If the game rested on his foot it could turn out bad.

To me, that is the main weakness I see.

Soonermagik
10/6/2008, 12:17 PM

West Virginny attached you from the corners with their defensive ends being able to utilize their speed to get past the tackles and put pressure on Bradford. They spread you out a bit and were able to attack the gaps.

Bradford has had all day to throw the ball for the last two years. When pressure has been applied, his ability to quickly go through his reads and pick up secondary receivers has been exploited.

Yeah, but every O-line guy lost like 20-30 pounds to get faster THIS SEASON. Last year that was a big weakness, but they seem to have fixed that. TCU & Cincy have smaller DT & DE's and we seemed to handle them.

bri
10/6/2008, 12:18 PM
OU's weak point?

A small thermal exhaust port.

picasso
10/6/2008, 12:19 PM

you will lose.

JLEW1818
10/6/2008, 12:19 PM

Okay so there was pressure on Bradford against WV, I agree. Look at his stats that game, still pretty damn good chump.

21-33 , 242 yards, 2 td , 1 pick. an average game. not a bad game. people tend to forget that.

JohnnyMack
10/6/2008, 12:22 PM
Offensively - Our line's ability to march down the field, running the ball against a top notch offense.

Defensively - Untested DB's having to make plays (so far our D line has caused enough chaos that they haven't had to work very hard).

Special Teams - Busted assignments and not staying in lanes on kick coverage.

JLEW1818
10/6/2008, 12:23 PM
Blitz McCoy and rap up, don't go for the big hit.

douxpaysan
10/6/2008, 12:36 PM
Lame Smak is the most glaring weak point. We need:
1. Noobs that read, listen and make intelligent discOUrse.
2. Old-sweats that don't sit on their well earned spek but endeavor to creatively enlighten the masses.
3. Lifting weights for internet muscles.
4. bthoot: a point well taken.

NormanPride
10/6/2008, 01:46 PM
Inexperienced, GRAY ponies.

bstuff1979
10/6/2008, 02:00 PM
Honestly, I think the only weak point is that Stoops was not immaculately conceived. On the other hand, what all has that done for ND lately? In reality, I think the weak-points are:
On D- corners. Mostly due to inexperience at the position, the athleticism is certainly there.
On O- inconsistency in the ground game; between the tackles run game when out of an ace/one back set. When OU runs w/ a lead blocker (be that Eldridge or Clapp), the between the tackles game is more than adequate. For nitpicking, you could say that no one back has stepped up. That's not really a problem as of yet though, hasn't had any sort of negative byproduct on the field.

swardboy
10/6/2008, 02:01 PM

Different edition this year. I've been surpisingly pleased at Sammie's ability to get away from a rush and make a play. He's finding receivers on the run too.

JohnnyMack
10/6/2008, 02:14 PM
Different edition this year. I've been surpisingly pleased at Sammie's ability to get away from a rush and make a play. He's finding receivers on the run too.

Yep. They're doing a better job of moving the pocket. Saxet will get a couple or three sacks, but they haven't been great in pass D and once Johnson, Iglesias, Broyles & Gresham get in space we'll move the ball effectively.

stoopified
10/6/2008, 02:23 PM
Sam is allergic to Kryptonite,aside from that-nada.

BornandBred
10/6/2008, 02:23 PM
3.2 Beer?

Widescreen
10/6/2008, 02:34 PM

Wow, thanks for that bit of football brilliance. I mean, I'm sure Bradford is the only QB in college football who has difficulty going through reads with defenders in his face.

Similarly, when people crowd the line of scrimmage with 9 defenders, it's more difficult to run.

What other bits of whorn goodness do you have for us?

JLEW1818
10/6/2008, 02:39 PM
Another reason why I like Oklahoma beating Texas is the fact that McCoy is the longhorns leading rusher. He is not Vince. I don't think they will be able to establish a run game against us.

Widescreen
10/6/2008, 02:41 PM
I'm actually more worried about UT's defense than their offense. They have no tight end. They have no feature running back. McCoy is the best run threat. And Greg Davis has the offensive creativity of a dry sponge. Muschamp has their defense playing at a high level. It remains to be seen if their freshmen safeties can keep up with our receivers and Gresham. I have my doubts. I do think they'll probably handle our running game pretty well.

CK Sooner
10/6/2008, 02:43 PM
I'm actually more worried about UT's defense than their offense. They have no tight end. They have no feature running back. McCoy is the best run threat. And Greg Davis has the offensive creativity of a dry sponge. Muschamp has their defense playing at a high level. It remains to be seen if their freshmen safeties can keep up with our receivers and Gresham. I have my doubts. I do think they'll probably handle our running game pretty well.

Another one of their tight ends was injured in the Colorado game.

JLEW1818
10/6/2008, 02:44 PM

I agree but, Colorado had 3 chances to get touchdowns, and they had to try a field goal. Not saying our kicker is anything special, but I think we convert those 3 lost chances into 21 points.

JohnnyMack
10/6/2008, 02:47 PM

I think the running game we've seen from OU the last two weeks is a bit of a red herring. I think we're going to beat them by running pa passes to Gresham underneath the zone (where the safeties you speak of will have to deal with him) and by allowing either MJ or JI to get vertical and take advantage of Bradfords sometimes devastating pump fakes. Muschamp has played aggressive D against inferior opponents. Anyone who's being paying attention can tell that Wilson has gotten smarter with how he runs this offense. I'll take my chances with Wilson and Bradford vs. Muschamp and an inexperienced secondary.

SoonerInLubbock
10/6/2008, 03:09 PM
A small thermal exhaust port.

Brilliant!:pop:

ouwasp
10/6/2008, 03:20 PM
World Picker: "Kickoffs fluttering to the 20..."

Didn't care for how Baylor was able to get into a groove on several drives. To be sure, the game was in hand when it happened. But I'm not sure if the D has the cobra mentality to absolutely go for the kill. I mean ...I can think of years in the past when I looked fwd to OU being on D because they would suffocate an O at the same time they were knocking the h*** outta them. Nasty and mean. Not sure if these Sooners have that streak in them yet.

TX_SOONER_FAN
10/7/2008, 07:11 AM
Inexperienced, GRAY ponies.

Useless Trivia Alert:

BTW, they'll be all white next year according to the press release when they announced them.

"- All white horses are actually born black and get whiter as they get older; Boomer and Sooner V are currently about 85% white but should be all white by next year."

I think they look more like 15% black.

OU_Sooners75
10/7/2008, 07:17 AM

If by high level you mean 96th in pass defense, then yes, you are correct.

Teams can pass on them. There is a reason their rushing defense is so good.

And here is food for thought...Texas Christian has played better teams, and has a better front seven.

UberSooner
10/7/2008, 07:29 AM
I haven't seen us complete many intermediate slants/crossing patterns. We tend to favor break out screens and flat passes to beat the blitz. Other than that nit picky point, our O seems virtually unstoppable. The whole knock on the run game is unfair IMO, when D's line up to stop the run, they're generally going to have success. If sexat does that, we will kill them.

On D, we hedge against the deep ball this year a little more than in the past it seems to me. The whole bend don't break thing protects against inexperienced corners. I personally think this is the best top to bottom D we've had since Harris was in the line up. A scrambling Mcoy doesn't really scare me, he can't out score our O on the ground.

BoomerSoonerTexasscks
10/7/2008, 07:33 AM
If we have to kick a 40 yard field goal to win I would be worried.

Our kicker (Stevens) seems to be sneaking a lot of extra points in. I know, I know, he's young, but it still scares me. If the game rested on his foot it could turn out bad.

To me, that is the main weakness I see.

Thats what I was thinking. He seems really shaky on the pat. He has missed at least 2 that I can think of off the top of my head and he hasn't really had to kick many field goals under game conditions. That is thanks to the offense scoring touchdowns whenever they get the ball. I fear that one of these games is going to come down to a last second FG, either to tie or win, and there goes the perfect season:pop:

the_ouskull
10/7/2008, 10:47 AM
Our weak point, in my ever-so-humble opinion, is our offensive line's inability to finish off blocks in the running game. I think that we're a really good running team. I also think that, if our line gave 1/5 of a sh*t 1/4 of the time, we'd be a GREAT running team.

the_ouskull

St. Louis Sooner
10/7/2008, 11:33 AM
Uber: I see the 'horns secondary doing the same thing to start the game. They're too young and giving OU any big plays/deep balls may demoralize them; more short routes open for us ... which will help against the blitz & DL pressure;

The enemy's main strength is their 'professed' cohesion & fun they are having. They didn't have it last year, but they do this year ... or so they say. We have to counter that with sacks and pressure on the QB; mccoy is susceptible to hard hits due to his concussion from last year; soo take away the fun factor then OU wins easily. IF he's allowed to continue as he has so far this year it'll be a long day for OU IF bradford & co are slowed;

As for OUr weakness ... i'd say it's the field goal team. It's untested and it's missed a few PATs this year. I looked on soonersports.com and we've attempted/completed 1 FG this year ... 36 yarder; our run game performance may be in question, but remember that we played TCU after a week layoff early in the season and I believe our O-line wasn't quite in synch at that time.

JLEW1818
10/7/2008, 11:34 AM
Saturdays coming up !

douxpaysan
10/7/2008, 12:01 PM
I do think they'll probably handle our running game pretty well. Many of our great players had their break-out games in the crucible which is OU-texas. Sometimes great deeds need difficult circumstances, this could be another time for a great running back to step up. bthoot

OklahomaRed
10/7/2008, 12:07 PM
Deffensive kickoff coverage.
Secondary play inconsistent.
Consistent establishment of a run game for 4 quarters of football.

With that said, we should beat texass. I agree with doux. Breakout game for one of our running backs.

Jason White's Third Knee
10/7/2008, 12:17 PM
I'd say it's when Boren touts that donation of art on the commercials during the game. That's pretty weak.

Boomer Mooner
10/7/2008, 12:19 PM
Defensive kickoff coverage.
Can't get past "Burlington Coat Factory".
Fight song doesn't have enough words.

I don't think any of these three glaring weaknesses will keep keep us from crushing the whorns.

ousooners182
10/7/2008, 12:28 PM
3.2 Beer?

best post of the damn day so far lol

jwlynn64
10/7/2008, 12:50 PM
A small, finger-shaped spot on Ryan Reynolds right ankle.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/7/2008, 01:20 PM
we haven't played as well in big games since the introduction of the horse pigs :(

starclassic tama
10/7/2008, 01:21 PM
running the football is our weakness right now. as ridiculous as that sounds with the backs and offensive line we have, right now it is true. and the entire special teams unit.

Boomer Mooner
10/7/2008, 03:25 PM
running the football is our weakness right now. as ridiculous as that sounds with the backs and offensive line we have, right now it is true. and the entire special teams unit.

I disagree. The only team we didn't run well against was TCU. They decided to stop the run at all cost for a moral victory I guess, so we gashed them on the pass.

SoonerBacker
10/7/2008, 03:56 PM

I hope the tu coaches are still watching game film from last year's Fiesta Bowl while planning how to defend against OUr offense THIS year, too.

adoniijahsooner
10/7/2008, 05:26 PM
Why do we keep complaining about the run game? Is it because we only average 4 yards per carry and don't seem to break long runs?

46 carries against Chatt
44 carries against Cincy
47 carries against Wash
36 carries against TCU
58 carries against baylor

Without the threat of us running, sam does not have the stats he has. The only thing that concerns me about this team is the mental makeup when they are challenged or fall behind. Are we mentally tough enough? I believe the corners will be fine, because stoops has been raving about BJ since spring ball, and I havent seen any busted coverages yet.

UTisLousy
10/7/2008, 07:17 PM
I'd say our biggest weakness at this point is the lack of mercy we are showing to our opponent. We continue to demoralize each opponent to the point of even breaking the opposition's QB's bones! Now that just isn't very nice. I feel that the Oklahoma Football Sooners will continue to show that glaring weakness this Saturday against the UTerus University. Here's hoping they have to scrape McCoy off the field with a spatula.

wishbonesooner
10/7/2008, 09:01 PM
Our weak point is that we are not feared anymore. Like it or not, people nationally think we're chokers. We need to kick Texas's *** and do it convincingly.

OU_Sooners75
10/7/2008, 09:23 PM
Weak Point....Special Teams. In consistency in the kicking and return game.

But it is kinda expected. However, Knall has been really weak this year.

CatfishSooner
10/7/2008, 10:05 PM
WE have NO weak point...

CK Sooner
10/7/2008, 10:07 PM
Weak Point = Special Teams

Defense and Special Teams wins games.

We HAVE to fix this.

JLEW1818
10/7/2008, 10:19 PM
I say we just kick the ball out of bounds every time. hehe

CK Sooner
10/7/2008, 10:24 PM
I say we just kick the ball out of bounds every time. hehe

That is actually a logical idea since they usually return it 35+ every time anyways.

:D

WA. Sooner
10/8/2008, 02:29 AM
Kick coverage and not scoring in the 2,3,4 qtrs like we do in the first qtr

Desert Sapper
10/8/2008, 07:21 AM
I'm actually more worried about UT's defense than their offense.

I agree. I think this may be the best UT D I've seen in a while. They get great pressure, can stuff the run, and are highly aggressive. Fortunately, this is the best Sooner O I've seen in a while, too. Even if they completely sell out to stuff the run, get some pressure on Sam, and stay intense, they can only hope to fare as well as TCU. The horned frogs completely shut our run game down, and were in Sam's face most of the game, but Sam still managed to hit 19/34 for 411 yards and 4 TDs.

starclassic tama
10/8/2008, 03:00 PM
I disagree. The only team we didn't run well against was TCU. They decided to stop the run at all cost for a moral victory I guess, so we gashed them on the pass.

3.7 ypc against baylor and more carries than yards against TCU is not what i would call running the ball well. i do expect us to improve in this area, and it's not a grave concern. but we should definitely be running the ball better.

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/8/2008, 03:11 PM
YPC is pointless at this point, we have been so ahead after the 1st quarter, we were mostly running to keep the clock going in these games.