PDA

View Full Version : With your offense unstoppable what about the D?

TJKDone
10/6/2008, 04:53 AM
Just a Horn fan looking for a silver lining going up against Sam and Co.

I was kinda surprised to see that Baylor averaged almost 5 yards per carry on around 40 carries. I don't know that I've ever even heard about that kind of running success against a Stoops coached OU team.

Curious as to how good you think your D is playing headed into the game?

Hook'em

batonrougesooner
10/6/2008, 05:24 AM
Those numbers are skewed due to some scrambling runs by their quarterback I believe.

All in all I think our defense is playing much better than many of us thought they would considering we are breaking in two new linebackers and two new corners. We will know alot more about this defense next Saturday. But from what I've seen thus far, I like our chances.

I personally don't really know what to think about this game. I think OU will win but I don't expect it to be a blow out or mismatch similar to 2000 or 2003.

UberSooner
10/6/2008, 07:55 AM
As much as it pains me, I think sexat may have the better front 4 by a little bit. Our secondary is better by quite a bit I think based on watching sexat twice. Our biggest challenge on D is going to be maintaining containment on pony boy. It wouldn't suprise me if he had nearly as many rushing yards as passing yards in this game. If that's true, we win big.

Jason White's Third Knee
10/6/2008, 09:27 AM
I think both teams look outstanding. texas has matured from last year. Should be a kick asss game.

As for the Baylor rushing numbers, just wait until you play that squirrely bastard. He is one of the most athletic qb's I have ever seen. He is VY elusive. He reminded me of Michael Vick or Antwaan Randle El (all in college).

swardboy
10/6/2008, 09:47 AM
/\ What he said....

JohnnyMack
10/6/2008, 09:50 AM
We had some depth issues on the D line the last couple of games, with it back to a full rotation on Saturday I think we'll be able to take away any chance UT has at an inside running game. I look for McCoy to run the read option a bit more than we've seen in the past, but I think RR and Lewis have played better than I expected and if they can keep up the boundaries and force them to throw I think we can win by 17+. If they can gash us, we win by 7.

NormanPride
10/6/2008, 09:53 AM
I think Texas' front seven has looked a bit better, but they've also played massively inferior teams. The LBs seem to be a bit better at going sideline to sideline, but again, massively inferior teams. Yet to play anyone with balance. yet to play anyone with a defense. Yet to play anyone. But, they've done what they should have, which is win big.

McCoy still likes to turn over the ball more than he should, though. Should be a GREAT game to watch!

picasso
10/6/2008, 12:10 PM
I'm still not sold our on our run d up the middle. I like our corners a lot a lawtt.

JohnnyMack
10/6/2008, 12:23 PM
I'm still not sold our on our run d up the middle. I like our corners a lot a lawtt.

I think that if we're healthy (adding Granger back in for depth) we'll be fine against these guys. It's if they get to the edges that worries me.

JLEW1818
10/6/2008, 12:24 PM
What defense is going to rise to the occasion is the real question.

adoniijahsooner
10/6/2008, 12:50 PM
I think that if we're healthy (adding Granger back in for depth) we'll be fine against these guys. It's if they get to the edges that worries me.

We have too much outside linebacker speed to let these guys get to the edge on us.

BASSooner
10/6/2008, 04:23 PM
OUr defense is like the entire USC football team. We can dominate the field if we really want to (see big 12 championship last year AND our road games)

JohnnyMack
10/6/2008, 04:43 PM
We have too much outside linebacker speed to let these guys get to the edge on us.

Last year they used our speed against us with their TE. This year I predict it'll be Ogbonnaya (sp?) on a throwback or McCoy on a naked bootleg.

C&CDean
10/6/2008, 04:45 PM
Last year they used our speed against us with their TE. This year I predict it'll be Ogbonnaya (sp?) on a throwback or McCoy on a naked bootleg.

Perv.

JohnnyMack
10/6/2008, 04:48 PM
Wanna wrestle?

CK Sooner
10/6/2008, 04:48 PM

They burned Colorado with that.

meoveryouxinfinity
10/6/2008, 04:51 PM
People around here seem to think that we've been holding something major back for Texas. Most think it will be on offense, but I think it will be on defense. I bet we throw some pretty interesting blitz packages out there. We have also all been waiting on English to have a breakout game.

anglachel
10/6/2008, 05:17 PM
If you want an evaluation of OU, then look no further than the first quarter of any game this year. Pretty much the games have been over by then and both sides of the ball go completely vanilla. If you hang your hat on what anyone has done to OU in the 2nd quarter (don't even think about the 2nd half), you'll be sorely disappointed come Saturday.