PDA

View Full Version : Another SEC Thread...but not what you think

cheezyq
10/5/2008, 12:18 PM
Nick Saban is going to end up dominating the SEC, if he stays at bammer for any length of time. Why?

I'll start by saying that I don't care for the man myself. But the reason is simple. He doesn't give a **** about Florida, LSU, Georgia, or any other SEC team. I've never heard the man whine about how tough the SEC schedule is, or anything like that. He doesn't root for other SEC teams and complain when he loses that it's because the SEC is so tough. His sole concern is how his team does every Saturday.

Everyone else in the SEC is busy whining about how tough the SEC is. Eventually Saban is going to end up dominating that league of whiners if for no other reason than he's man enough to put the blame for losses on himself, rather than being a big ***** complaining about schedules.

Johnny Utah
10/5/2008, 01:33 PM
Nick Saban is going to end up dominating the SEC, if he stays at bammer for any length of time. Why?

I'll start by saying that I don't care for the man myself. But the reason is simple. He doesn't give a **** about Florida, LSU, Georgia, or any other SEC team. I've never heard the man whine about how tough the SEC schedule is, or anything like that. He doesn't root for other SEC teams and complain when he loses that it's because the SEC is so tough. His sole concern is how his team does every Saturday.

Everyone else in the SEC is busy whining about how tough the SEC is. Eventually Saban is going to end up dominating that league of whiners if for no other reason than he's man enough to put the blame for losses on himself, rather than being a big ***** complaining about schedules.

Good post ... I think Spurrier took the same approach while at Florida and had great success too.

Curly Bill
10/5/2008, 02:33 PM
There's another coach that this sounds like...;)

Rogue
10/5/2008, 04:39 PM
It was a great hire by 'Bama. They gambled and won.
Imagine if they'd hired Rich Rodriguez instead.
He's ranked #2 right now with a team full of freshmen. The upper classmen have been underachievers until now.

Guy's a recruiting machine with ties in throughout the south including TX and FL.

JLEW1818
10/5/2008, 04:53 PM
Saban= only coach that scares me.

Sr Quarterbacks always help too.

Sabanball
10/5/2008, 05:52 PM
Saban= only coach that scares me. Sr Quarterbacks always help too.

Be afraid. Be very afraid...;)

Seriously, I agree with all of your comments. But I really dont think it was so much a gamble as our administration finally being willing to open up the checkbook and pay what the market now demands that a top tier coach earn. I predicted the day we hired him that we'd get a quick return on our $4mil/yr investment and sure enough that is exactly what has happened.

The main reason, in addition to the ones already given, I think Nick is going to be successful here is because he will flat outwork you--on the recruiting trail, on the practice field, and then some. Do you honestly think pretty boy Mark Richt, Urban Meyer, and the Ball Cap down in LSU are going to be able to keep up with him, in the long term? I don't.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/5/2008, 05:59 PM
And to think he does all that and STILL has time for the Kumite.

http://a300.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/7/l_6459d75643fa7df1c643d9bf15302ce3.jpg

Sabanball
10/5/2008, 07:46 PM
Just another example showing Nick does not leave a stone unturned in recruiting. We just stole this one from LSU and you guys....

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=72208&Sport=1

My friends in Baton Rouge tell me he was seriously considering going to Norman, though Im not sure you guys offered him.

cheezyq
10/5/2008, 08:20 PM
The main reason, in addition to the ones already given, I think Nick is going to be successful here is because he will flat outwork you--on the recruiting trail, on the practice field, and then some. Do you honestly think pretty boy Mark Richt, Urban Meyer, and the Ball Cap down in LSU are going to be able to keep up with him, in the long term? I don't.

The main reason Saban will be successful is because he is willing to sell out everything and everyone in order to win. A lot of people thought the same thing about Switzer....but the difference is that Switzer has a personality and genuinely seemed to care about his kids/recruits. I'm not sure the same can be said about Satan, er, uh....Saban. But that's just because that's all we know about the guy.

There's no doubt that Saban is a better coach than the wusses you mentioned above. Richt is a punk, pure and simple. I've never seen so much arrogance in a man who as accomplished so little....except maybe for Les Miles.

Although, Miles can claim a MNC. Miles' problem is that he honestly thinks that his success can be attributed to some form of genius on his part. In reality, it's simply due to whining harder than others about their oh so tough SEC schedule at the right time, and a bit of luck. Seriously, LSU SHOULD have lost 5 games last year, and should already have a loss this year.

Meyer....he's probably a decent coach, just a lackadaisical recruiter. And being a somewhat new head coach, I think he's prone to making some occasional coaching errors at inconvenient times.

Sabanball
10/5/2008, 08:26 PM
The main reason Saban will be successful is because he is willing to sell out everything and everyone in order to win. A lot of people thought the same thing about Switzer....but the difference is that Switzer has a personality and genuinely seemed to care about his kids/recruits. I'm not sure the same can be said about Satan, er, uh....Saban. But that's just because that's all we know about the guy.

There's no doubt that Saban is a better coach than the wusses you mentioned above. Richt is a punk, pure and simple. I've never seen so much arrogance in a man who as accomplished so little....except maybe for Les Miles.

Although, Miles can claim a MNC. Miles' problem is that he honestly thinks that his success can be attributed to some form of genius on his part. In reality, it's simply due to whining harder than others about their oh so tough SEC schedule at the right time, and a bit of luck. Seriously, LSU SHOULD have lost 5 games last year, and should already have a loss this year.

Meyer....he's probably a decent coach, just a lackadaisical recruiter. And being a somewhat new head coach, I think he's prone to making some occasional coaching errors at inconvenient times.

Im confused. On one hand, you seem to make some rather serious accusations about Saban, without providing specifics, and at the same time acknowledge that he's a superior coach. How's he 'selling out' to win? And what do you mean by that? I take it you are referring to something nefarious and something that Bob or Pete Carroll themselves would not do. Please, I would like to know what you are are specifically talking about and how it violates NCAA rules.

MissouriSooner
10/6/2008, 12:26 AM
The poster who said he outworks everybody else is correct. We saw Bob do that when he came to OU [and he still works hard]; Bob took Blake's leftovers and won a MNC. Saban's doing the same at Bama. His teams are dangerous to play because they play smart, hard and don't quit. May that same thing forever be said of the Sooners as well.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/6/2008, 12:48 AM
Saban is an excellent coach. He has had such quick success everywhere he's gone. I don't know about his willingness to stick around anywhere, however. He might be like Lou Holtz and Larry Brown(basketbll) in that regard.

Sabanball
10/6/2008, 11:20 AM
Saban is an excellent coach. He has had such quick success everywhere he's gone. I don't know about his willingness to stick around anywhere, however. He might be like Lou Holtz and Larry Brown(basketbll) in that regard.

True, he HAS moved aroung quite a bit, but with the exception of his last move from the dolphins to us, his resume has shown upward career progression. Personally, I think if he and Terry Saban had it to do all over again, they would never have left Baton Rouge. But when an NFL owner constantly is waving $5mil/yr and total control of a franchise in your face, and you've already accomplished the ultimate goal of winning a mnc, who wouldn't want to try out being a HC in the NFL? I think that's what happened, and he very quickly realized that he belonged back in the college game. Thank goodness Rich Rodrigues turned us down and we were able to get Nick.

Like I pointed out in another thread, I think it's very unlikely that he leaves us anytime soon. He is guaranteed a $32 mil payout over 8 yrs and if he chooses to walk away early he will be leaving a tremendous amount of money on the table. I don't think Granny Holtz or Larry Brown were ever in that kind of situation. He has virtually total control of the program. By all accounts he and his wife are very happy in Tuscaloosa and at 56 yrs of age I believe him when he says this is his last stop before going to Lake Burton in Georgia to retire.

LSUdeek
10/6/2008, 11:44 AM
Just another example showing Nick does not leave a stone unturned in recruiting. We just stole this one from LSU and you guys....

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=72208&Sport=1

My friends in Baton Rouge tell me he was seriously considering going to Norman, though Im not sure you guys offered him.

Sentimore does not have an official offer from LSU. Please don't parrot your crap on here.

LSUdeek
10/6/2008, 11:46 AM

Please post a quote following the NC victory that can be attributed to Miles stating the victory was due to his genius? And why should the Auburn game be a loss?

LSUdeek
10/6/2008, 11:48 AM

Tommy Moffitt still coaches at LSU. Your coach was unsuccessful at stealing him away. Therefore I trust our ability to stay on the field with anyone for 4 quarters.

As long as we keep up that fence, we will be able to compete with Saban.

Sabanball
10/6/2008, 12:51 PM
Sentimore does not have an official offer from LSU. Please don't parrot your crap on here.

Not yet. But I think you're being very disengenuous if you try to tell me you guys would not like to have him. My friends in BR tell me that they were going to offer him if his ACT score came back good later this month. He might have to go to Hargrave. At any rate, he's a blue chipper that will not be staying home and a big pickup for us at your expense.

Considering we were successful in getting Robbie Green and Luther Davis also the last two cycles I think shows that Nick still has recruiting inroads in Louisiana.

Sabanball
10/6/2008, 12:53 PM
Tommy Moffitt still coaches at LSU. Your coach was unsuccessful at stealing him away. Therefore I trust our ability to stay on the field with anyone for 4 quarters.

As long as we keep up that fence, we will be able to compete with Saban.

We'll see. ;)

LSUdeek
10/6/2008, 01:57 PM
Not yet. But I think you're being very disingenuous if you try to tell me you guys would not like to have him. My friends in BR tell me that they were going to offer him if his ACT score came back good later this month. He might have to go to Hargrave. At any rate, he's a blue chipper that will not be staying home and a big pickup for us at your expense.

Sure, we would like to have him. However, the fact remains that LSU has not offered him. The kid has been and will continue to be outspoken that LSU is his team. However, he's mad because everyone else has offered him and LSU has not. The kid had to take summer school in order to remain eligible to play football his senior year at Destrehan.

Considering we were successful in getting Robbie Green and Luther Davis also the last two cycles I think shows that Nick still has recruiting inroads in Louisiana.You mentioned another two players that did not get an official offer from LSU. The Luther Davis situation was quite a debacle, if you recall that correctly. I believe the kid lied about visiting Alabama (ostensibly due to a funeral) and then had his scholarship offer pulled by Les.

Until Saban gets a Louisiana kid that LSU offers, don't pump out your chest about stealing one from LSU's backyard.

Jason White's Third Knee
10/6/2008, 02:12 PM
Not yet. But I think you're being very disengenuous if you try to tell me you guys would not like to have him. My friends in BR tell me that they were going to offer him if his ACT score came back good later this month. He might have to go to Hargrave. At any rate, he's a blue chipper that will not be staying home and a big pickup for us at your expense.

Considering we were successful in getting Robbie Green and Luther Davis also the last two cycles I think shows that Nick still has recruiting inroads in Louisiana.

lsu looks at ACT scores? You must be joking.

Sabanball
10/6/2008, 02:21 PM
Sure, we would like to have him. However, the fact remains that LSU has not offered him. The kid has been and will continue to be outspoken that LSU is his team. However, he's mad because everyone else has offered him and LSU has not. The kid had to take summer school in order to remain eligible to play football his senior year at Destrehan.

You mentioned another two players that did not get an official offer from LSU. The Luther Davis situation was quite a debacle, if you recall that correctly. I believe the kid lied about visiting Alabama (ostensibly due to a funeral) and then had his scholarship offer pulled by Les.

Until Saban gets a Louisiana kid that LSU offers, don't pump out your chest about stealing one from LSU's backyard.

Not trying to brag, I'm just thrilled that we can go into your state and get 4 star prospects. I'm sure you would feel the same if the situation were in reverse.;)

RedstickSooner
10/6/2008, 02:29 PM
True, he HAS moved aroung quite a bit, but with the exception of his last move from the dolphins to us, his resume has shown upward career progression. Personally, I think if he and Terry Saban had it to do all over again, they would never have left Baton Rouge. But when an NFL owner constantly is waving $5mil/yr and total control of a franchise in your face, and you've already accomplished the ultimate goal of winning a mnc, who wouldn't want to try out being a HC in the NFL? I think that's what happened, and he very quickly realized that he belonged back in the college game. Thank goodness Rich Rodrigues turned us down and we were able to get Nick.

Like I pointed out in another thread, I think it's very unlikely that he leaves us anytime soon. He is guaranteed a $32 mil payout over 8 yrs and if he chooses to walk away early he will be leaving a tremendous amount of money on the table. I don't think Granny Holtz or Larry Brown were ever in that kind of situation. He has virtually total control of the program. By all accounts he and his wife are very happy in Tuscaloosa and at 56 yrs of age I believe him when he says this is his last stop before going to Lake Burton in Georgia to retire.

He didn't want to leave LSU for the Dolphins when he went -- the only reason he (and his agent) constantly kept his name out there was so he could come back to LSU and ask for a pay raise each year. With the Dolphin deal, Skip Bertman finally decided he didn't feel like paying -- and Saban left.

Every single job move Saban has made has been for better pay, far as I know. The guy is very simple to understand: Pay him better than anyone else while, and you have his absolute loyalty.

LSU fans who hate him so much continue to puzzle me. He didn't "betray" them. He asked for a pay raise, didn't get it, and took another job. That might make him greedy, but it doesn't make him a turncoat.

Sabanball
10/6/2008, 02:36 PM
He didn't want to leave LSU for the Dolphins when he went -- the only reason he (and his agent) constantly kept his name out there was so he could come back to LSU and ask for a pay raise each year. With the Dolphin deal, Skip Bertman finally decided he didn't feel like paying -- and Saban left.

Every single job move Saban has made has been for better pay, far as I know. The guy is very simple to understand: Pay him better than anyone else while, and you have his absolute loyalty.

LSU fans who hate him so much continue to puzzle me. He didn't "betray" them. He asked for a pay raise, didn't get it, and took another job. That might make him greedy, but it doesn't make him a turncoat.

Agreed.

cheezyq
10/6/2008, 03:56 PM
Im confused. On one hand, you seem to make some rather serious accusations about Saban, without providing specifics, and at the same time acknowledge that he's a superior coach. How's he 'selling out' to win? And what do you mean by that? I take it you are referring to something nefarious and something that Bob or Pete Carroll themselves would not do. Please, I would like to know what you are are specifically talking about and how it violates NCAA rules.

Hey I'm not making accusations. The guy is a sell-out, and has been since he left LSU. That doesn't make him a bad coach, and I'm not saying he does anything particularly bad. But let's be honest, he has zilch for a personality, and so far has a reputation for following the money. A guy with that kind of reputation tends to earn it in all aspects of his life, not just by changing jobs. Don't get your panties in a twist....it's just my personal take on the man. ;)

cheezyq
10/6/2008, 04:05 PM
Please post a quote following the NC victory that can be attributed to Miles stating the victory was due to his genius? And why should the Auburn game be a loss?

See: every post-game interview where he claims that a lucky last play was planned. Dude, the game where he doesn't call a TO and almost runs the play clock out, but luckily the pass to the endzone was complete with :01 left. You gotta be kidding if you think that he actually planned for that to happen.

LSU was one final play from losing 3 more games last year, which would have put them at 7-5. The got lucky on 3 out of the 5 close games, and went 10-2. Auburn controlled that game from start to finish, and if your 2nd-team QB hadn't gotten hurt, putting Jarrett Lee back in, you would have lost. Again, not a coaches genius decision, just luck putting things into place for him.

Again, don't get your SEC panties in a twist...this is a fan forum, dude. And luck is a big factor in ANY successful team. My only comment about Miles is that he laughs it off like he planned it to happen. To that I say, :rolleyes:

Sabanball
10/6/2008, 04:37 PM
Hey I'm not making accusations. The guy is a sell-out, and has been since he left LSU. That doesn't make him a bad coach, and I'm not saying he does anything particularly bad. But let's be honest, he has zilch for a personality, and so far has a reputation for following the money. A guy with that kind of reputation tends to earn it in all aspects of his life, not just by changing jobs. Don't get your panties in a twist....it's just my personal take on the man. ;)

So what? Tell me a GREAT coach that DOES have a warm and fuzzy personality? Bob certainly doesn't have one, but again, who really cares about that? Besides, we're not paying him $4mil/yr to win Mr. Congeniality contests, we're paying him to win football games and get us to a BCS championship game. And as far as pay goes, I don't see any difference in what we are paying our man vs what you guys are doing for Bob. Both of us have given each the keys to the vault. In fact, with his longevity bonus being paid this year, I think Bob's total compensation this year will be over $6mil. Does that mean he's only following the money?? Of course not. College football is big business and these guys are entitled to what they can negotiate for with their respective athletic depts. , which is where the money for their salaries come from. No public money is involved.

Thanks though for giving your opinion....;)

LSUdeek
10/6/2008, 04:49 PM
Keep dogging our conference. We will keep showing up in BCS bowls and winning them.

stoopified
10/6/2008, 04:50 PM
lsu looks at ACT scores? You must be joking.Hell Lester can't even spell ACT.

cheezyq
10/6/2008, 04:57 PM
And as far as pay goes, I don't see any difference in what we are paying our man vs what you guys are doing for Bob. Both of us have given each the keys to the vault. In fact, with his longevity bonus being paid this year, I think Bob's total compensation this year will be over $6mil. Does that mean he's only following the money?? Of course not. College football is big business and these guys are entitled to what they can negotiate for with their respective athletic depts. , which is where the money for their salaries come from. No public money is involved.

Big difference in Saban vs. Stoops. Stoops stayed to earn his compensation at the school, Saban parlayed his success at LSU to big $$$ in the NFL and at the first hint of failure abandoned ship to Bama for another giant payday. No harm in going after the cash...I just personally respect how Stoops has done it moreso than Saban.

It says to me that Stoops is concerned more about his legacy, knowing that the cash will follow if he proves himself. It also says more about his loyalty, and that's the big difference with Saban. If I'm a Bama fan (which I kind of am, in some respects), I'm a little scared that Saban's just a short-term fix. But by all means, enjoy it while you can...I would, too. :)

I just don't like what I've seen from Saban, from a personality and life-choice perspective. That doesn't make him a bad coach, as I've said before. He's very good, and the purpose of this thread was to point out that he doesn't BS around and whine about his opponents to try and get attention. In the end, that will make him a more successful SEC coach than the other whiners, such as the Mad Hatter or Suburban Meyer or Mark Pricht.

cheezyq
10/6/2008, 05:10 PM
Keep dogging our conference. We will keep showing up in BCS bowls and winning them.

Do you wear SEC gear when the games are played? Where do they even sell SEC fan gear? What's it look like, what are the colors? If 2 SEC teams are playing each other, who do you root for as an SEC fan? What's the SEC stadium like?

Rogue
10/6/2008, 06:27 PM
SB, I meant that it was a gamble to run off Shula without a serious plan. The plan was to throw money at RR and it failed. 'Bama lucked out in that Saban gave it a listen and followed the money. I also think it is another sign of his continued upward career path. Not many, if any, better jobs in the country be it college or pro.

10 Best Football HC jobs (resources, recruiting base, $$, and chance to be happy succeeding at what you love), IMO:

Bama
Oklahoma
Notre Dame
Nebraska
Texas
Michigan
tOSU
Tennessee
SUC
UGA
Miami

These programs all have loads of tradition and a successful coach can settle in well. A MNC is only good for 10 years of tolerable mediocrity anywhere if Tennessee is any indication. FSU and Penn St. could be good soon if a feller doesn't mind trying to follow an absolute legend. Also, none of them are in the NFL.

Anyplace that Neuheisel has been is bad. Cause or effect I don't know but he seems to be some type of toxic.

Why isn't Norm Chow a HC yet?

Sabanball
10/6/2008, 07:05 PM
SB, I meant that it was a gamble to run off Shula without a serious plan. The plan was to throw money at RR and it failed. 'Bama lucked out in that Saban gave it a listen and followed the money. I also think it is another sign of his continued upward career path. Not many, if any, better jobs in the country be it college or pro.

10 Best Football HC jobs (resources, recruiting base, $$, and chance to be happy succeeding at what you love), IMO:

Bama
Oklahoma
Notre Dame
Nebraska
Texas
Michigan
tOSU
Tennessee
SUC
UGA
Miami

These programs all have loads of tradition and a successful coach can settle in well. A MNC is only good for 10 years of tolerable mediocrity anywhere if Tennessee is any indication. FSU and Penn St. could be good soon if a feller doesn't mind trying to follow an absolute legend. Also, none of them are in the NFL.

Anyplace that Neuheisel has been is bad. Cause or effect I don't know but he seems to be some type of toxic.

Why isn't Norm Chow a HC yet?

Nice post.:)

Shula had to go--he was clearly in over his head. Fortunately it worked out to our advantage. Coaching searches have not been good to us in recent years, so I kinda agree with you on that one.

Hard to disagree with that list. OU, Nebraska(not sure Pelini is the man to get it done up there), and Bama particularly--we are all three basically rural, conservative, poor states with no significant pro sports(football in particular). That engenders more fan support and loyalty. As states we may suck at at a lot of things but football is one thing our folks historically have always been able to hang their hat on, so to speak. It's something we're good at...

As for Norm Chow, I think he's probably had HC opportunities, but he's simply for whatever reason not taken advantage of them. Also, given how his offense failed to outscore BYU a couple of weeks ago 0-59 probably has not helped his stock very much.