PDA

View Full Version : Why is T.BS ranked and Tulsa isn't ?

stoopified
10/5/2008, 10:58 AM
Tulsa has been just as impressive as the Cowpukes against a scedhule no weaker than the Neon Orange Rabble has faced.

bri
10/5/2008, 11:02 AM
aggy plays in a "power" conference, while TU is in C-USA. If we were in the Mountain West, we'd probably be 15 by now.

OUHOMER
10/5/2008, 11:04 AM
Thats why the rankings are useless early on. I do believe the conference tie in has a lot to do with it

badger
10/5/2008, 11:06 AM
are new rankings out?

Also, for last week's ranking, here's yer answer:

Fanbase. Tulsa is the smallest Division 1-A school in the country. They don't have a huge television market like some of these larger schools do (i.e. Texas, Florida) or a huge donor base to garner hype around (Boone State) or alumni in the media to fix the polls (Mizzou), nor the prestige of longtime winning programs (Tennessee, Florida State).

Tulsa is where it is on merit alone.

bri
10/5/2008, 11:08 AM
I hate the importance placed on conferences these days. You always have teams getting ranked over other more deserving ones just because of the conference they play in. And then, on the flip side, when a fired-up mid-major team gets some BCS conference's sixth-place team in some pre-Christmas bowl game and runs them out of the gym, it's "OH, LOOK AT THAT PARITY! THE MAC CHAMPION JUST BEAT AN SEC TEAM!!!" It's lazy, insulting, and stupid.

stoopified
10/5/2008, 11:10 AM
Oh well after Chase and the Tigers get done withT.BS they will be OUT.

bri
10/5/2008, 11:18 AM
Yeah, but odds are unless the Tiggers beat aggy by, like, 50 or so they'll hang around at 24 or 25.

There should be a couple of spots open in the bottom part of the Top 25 this week, since 23 and 24 lost yesterday. So we'll see if Tulsa gets the nod today...

badger
10/5/2008, 11:21 AM
Tulsa is No. 28. (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/usatpoll.htm)

T Boner is 17.

More importantly, we are No. 1. Take that, rest of college football :D