PDA

View Full Version : Where's the Defense?

East Coast Bias
10/5/2008, 06:20 AM
A lot of teams are in the 50+ club on offense, but where are the shut-down defenses to go with it? I think defense will be the difference when it comes to championships. So far for my money OU, Texas and Alabama look strong.

fadada1
10/5/2008, 07:01 AM
the glass half full view suggests that when we score 50+, the other team is going to get the ball more than normal, and the other team is still a D1 opponent.

but, i do get what you're saying.

David Earl
10/5/2008, 07:37 AM
I think we are in a cycle with college football were we won't see as many shut-down defenses. Offenses are very sofisticated now and hard to defend. An offense can sputter, allowing skilled defenses to occasionally shut down, but when a good offense executes, even great defenses will give up yards and points.

tulsaoilerfan
10/5/2008, 10:14 AM
Yup, DE is right, especially in the Big 12; people need to realize that if you consistently hold teams under 20 pts in this league, you have a pretty good defense; the old Big 8 days of teams only gaining 100 yards and scoring 3 points are long gone

bluedogok
10/5/2008, 11:59 AM
Yep, DE is right, there is an offensive cycle going on right now, in a few years defenses will catch up somewhat and and the cycle will start over again. I do think the days of shutting a good offensive team down completely are long gone, there is way too much talent spread around anymore. It is that way in all sports.

Sooner Eclipse
10/5/2008, 12:07 PM
I agree with DE as well, If you want to find a good D right now look for one that has a record of holding opponenents to FGs or 4nOuts in the red zone. Judging a D by yardage given up per game is a meaningless. Most offenses are diversified enough that you must allow them to move between the 20s and keep them from getting behind you with a large field. Once in the red zone, clamp down and hold them to 3 or less while your offense is scoring FGs.

BTW our offense is is around 20 TDs and 1 FG in the RZ.

tulsaoilerfan
10/5/2008, 12:26 PM
I agree with DE as well, If you want to find a good D right now look for one that has a record of holding opponenents to FGs or 4nOuts in the red zone. Judging a D by yardage given up per game is a meaningless. Most offenses are diversified enough that you must allow them to move between the 20s and keep them from getting behind you with a large field. Once in the red zone, clamp down and hold them to 3 or less while your offense is scoring FGs.

BTW our offense is is around 20 TDs and 1 FG in the RZ.

I think it's actually 23 TD's and 1 Fg in 24 advances into the Red Zone; don't care who you are playing that's mighty impressive

Sooner Eclipse
10/5/2008, 12:39 PM
I think it's actually 23 TD's and 1 Fg in 24 advances into the Red Zone; don't care who you are playing that's mighty impressive

I knew I saw the stat during the game yesterday, just not sure at what point. Thanks. And yes, its very impressive. Hopefully we add to the TD part greatly next week.

Partial Qualifier
10/5/2008, 01:37 PM
The new rules certainly aid offenses.

Of all the teams I've watched this year, OU is the best at taking advantage of the new rules in applying pressure on the opposing defense

JLEW1818
10/5/2008, 02:01 PM
Some special team help would be cool. Maybe a punt return.?

stoops the eternal pimp
10/5/2008, 02:07 PM
offenses that score rapidly means playing more plays on D...odds are you are gonna give up some points

JLEW1818
10/5/2008, 02:09 PM
offenses that score rapidly means playing more plays on D...odds are you are gonna give up some points

Coming up on 7,000 are we?

stoops the eternal pimp
10/5/2008, 02:19 PM
pretty darn close....Its been slow at work!

PLaw
10/5/2008, 05:51 PM
Yup, DE is right, especially in the Big 12; people need to realize that if you consistently hold teams under 20 pts in this league, you have a pretty good defense; the old Big 8 days of teams only gaining 100 yards and scoring 3 points are long gone

Yep, 20 is the new 7.