PDA

View Full Version : Pelini Apologized?????

westcoast_sooner
10/5/2008, 12:45 AM
Are you friggin kidding me???

I was just about to post a thread about the Nebraska Defense - where are the Black Shirts? Then I'm watching ESPN Final and Pelini apologizes to the "State of Nebraska". Gimme a break. The guy inherited a team with limited talent (ok - technically Callahan had some pretty good recruiting classes, but how many of these guys are really very good? Hmm??) and I'm not sure if they'll be able to beat Baylor (do they play this year?)

Geez - the Black Shirts are a distant memory at this point. I'm thinking if Pelini doesn't get this turned around quickly, Lincoln might become a hostile environment for him by bowl season. And you'll be able to forget about the nicest fans in the country - they'll get downright nasty.

rainiersooner
10/5/2008, 12:55 AM
Yeah, I think he needs a chance to recruit his own players first...we'll see what happens after that.

olevetonahill
10/5/2008, 01:55 AM
They should Nevar have run Off Solich .
Bo Knows , He will bring Nebbish back Much Like Mike has brot the Cats Back . It takes time when a Program has run in the ditch for years .:rolleyes:

AllAboutThe'O'
10/5/2008, 02:20 AM
Bo Knows , He will bring Nebbish back Much Like Mike has brot the Cats Back . It takes time when a Program has run in the ditch for years .:rolleyes:

Likewise, it will take a while for Bobby Petrino to clean up the mess that Nutt left behind at Arkansas.
Bo will do fine at Nebraska. It's not going to happen overnight but the Huskers are in good hands IMHO.

tulsaoilerfan
10/5/2008, 02:37 AM
Nebraska needs to seriously upgrade their team speed, especially on defense

olevetonahill
10/5/2008, 02:37 AM
The Cats fans on goazcats.com stillwanta Hang MIke from the Yardarm .:rolleyes:
That program has been down for years and they think it should be turned around 3 years ago .:rolleyes:
Mikes got It Going .

olevetonahill
10/5/2008, 02:38 AM
Nebraska needs to seriously upgrade their team speed, especially on defense

Bo will get it done Much Like Mike Has in the desert .

AllAboutThe'O'
10/5/2008, 03:06 AM
The Cats fans on goazcats.com stillwanta Hang MIke from the Yardarm .:rolleyes:
That program has been down for years and they think it should be turned around 3 years ago .:rolleyes:
Mikes got It Going .

I'm happy for the 'Cats. This will finally be the year Mike gets them bowling.

JLEW1818
10/5/2008, 03:31 AM
Nebraska = powerhouse of the north in, 3 years

Ground_Attack
10/5/2008, 04:29 AM
how far does Mizzou fall when "head panty" is gone?

olevetonahill
10/5/2008, 05:30 AM
I'm happy for the 'Cats. This will finally be the year Mike gets them bowling.

Im thinking Rose Bowl meself

Scott D
10/5/2008, 09:10 AM

I was just about to post a thread about the Nebraska Defense - where are the Black Shirts? Then I'm watching ESPN Final and Pelini apologizes to the "State of Nebraska". Gimme a break. The guy inherited a team with limited talent (ok - technically Callahan had some pretty good recruiting classes, but how many of these guys are really very good? Hmm??) and I'm not sure if they'll be able to beat Baylor (do they play this year?)

Geez - the Black Shirts are a distant memory at this point. I'm thinking if Pelini doesn't get this turned around quickly, Lincoln might become a hostile environment for him by bowl season. And you'll be able to forget about the nicest fans in the country - they'll get downright nasty.

Well, before the game he was yapping about shutting down Mizzou. So, I figure he did owe the State of Nebraska, not to mention the ESPN viewing audience an apology for that travashamockery of a defense.

royalfan5
10/5/2008, 10:05 AM
It was the worst home loss since since OU in 1955, and the most points allowed at home since 1945. People thought we would be done with that **** happening with Bo's arrival. I wasn't one of them, but a significant majority was.

Collier11
10/5/2008, 10:06 AM
Likewise, it will take a while for Bobby Petrino to clean up the mess that Nutt left behind at Arkansas.
Bo will do fine at Nebraska. It's not going to happen overnight but the Huskers are in good hands IMHO.

Petrino will screw up that situation just like he did Louisville, he is a piece of crap with ears

Well, before the game he was yapping about shutting down Mizzou. So, I figure he did owe the State of Nebraska, not to mention the ESPN viewing audience an apology for that travashamockery of a defense.

This isnt Pelini's fault but what he did was about being accountable. He will run a clean and sucessful program and the reason is that the players see that he is accountable and they will follow

Salt City Sooner
10/5/2008, 10:11 AM
Petrino will screw up that situation just like he did Louisville, he is a piece of crap with ears

This isnt Pelini's fault but what he did was about being accountable. He will run a clean and sucessful program and the reason is that the players see that he is accountable and they will follow
After what he pulled in Atlanta, I'll buy the piece of crap w/ ears part, but he went 41-9 with 2 conference titles in his 4 years at Louisville. I know a ton of teams that'd love to be screwed up like that.

badger
10/5/2008, 10:15 AM
Nebraska history:

(since the 90s)

90s: Nebraska wins three crystal footballs under legendary coach Tom Osborne. Nebraska fans become increasingly polite because of their team's success.

Early 00s: With legend Osborne retired, protege Frank Solich leads them to the title game in 2001, but without a conference championship. With decreased performances, n00b athletic director Steve Pederson fires Frankie.

mid 00s: With an unsuccessful coaching search resulting in lowered expectations for Nebraska's national standing in all eyes but the faithful politeness planners, new "coach" Bill Callahan alienates old rivals, conference foes, the national media and even some diehard children of the corn.

later 00s: Homecoming disaster involve large fan exodus before halftime and sarcastic releasing of the "first touchdown balloons" in the fourth quarter by remaining fans results in Pederson's firing, which subdues the no-longer-polite Nebraska fans.

Now: Legend Osborne returns and brings Bo Pelini in for "effing hillbilly" Bill Callahan, whom we can now refer to as "Hillbilly Calla-canned" or whatever. Years of disappointment with little reason for optimism leave Husker fans bitter and not polite.

In a nutshell: No matter how much you used to win, losing gets to even the more diehard fanbases eventually.

Veritas
10/5/2008, 10:19 AM

Bo understands something about the Huskers that Callahan never did: that the Huskers are more than just a football team to the state of Nebraska. He knows that it's not just a game for Nebraska fans.

I'm with rf5 in my expectations. I expected a blowout, and I expect to see a few more this year.

Years of disappointment with little reason for optimism leave Husker fans bitter and not polite.

You're wrong about that, badger. Opposing fans will always be treated well in Lincoln.

GrapevineSooner
10/5/2008, 10:37 AM
Bo knows Nebraska from his days as a Solich assistant and the Husker fans certainly know him as well. Not to mention, he has the backing of Dr. Tom.

As such, I think the Big Red fanbase will give him the time he needs to turn it around.

aurorasooner
10/5/2008, 10:40 AM
Surprised when TO hired Pellini over Turner Gill, except for the fact that Pellini had (probably) the better recruiting ties to Texas (previously OU/LSU). (If Syracuse doesn't fire Robinson and hire Gill, they're nutz). The little I know about Pellini's recruiting was some unflattering info about his supposedly Reggie Smith recruiting fiasco in which OU had to bring in the hazmat recruiting crew.
The quick turn-a-rounds in CFB --Stoops/OU--were/are extremely rare, probably almost impossible unless you get a coaching job in a program that's either in or next door to a recruiting hotbed. With Nebraska's geographic location (a long way away from any quality recruiting hotbeds) makes a quick turnaround for them just ridiculously hard, imo. The plus for Pelini is that next year and the loss of Booger Boy, Missouri will return to normal and Pinkel may even bolt to UDub if they throw enough money his way, which will probably depend on if Mizzou can actually finish and win a Big 12 championship this year. I don't expect him to leave Mizzou because turning around Washington with their Geo location would be almost as hard as turning around Nebraska. This will leave the Big 12 north a middle-of-the-pack free for all, and maybe in a couple of years Nebraska will win the North, but will will get hammered in the Big 12 CC game.
Getting absolutely raped on Nat'l TV as Nebraska did last year (pre-Pellini) against USC, and last night against Missouri after, flapping his yap, certainly doesn't help. You've got to show some do-more-with-less coaching in those highly visible games as Leach did with the OU offense in '99 to get long-distance recruits excited about your program. Whether Pelini can do that inside of 5 years is unlikely imo.
The schedule next year helps Pellini a little as outside of having to play Va. Tech on the road, they've got all of their hardest games at home, including Tech and OU. This year Nebraska has got to go to Lubbock and Norman which is their closest games even remotely close to the Texas recruiting hotbed, and they will probably get TV-embarrassed (raped) in both of those. Pellini's best deal this year would be if none of the corn games made it on TV unless they get some of that more-with-less coaching and either take one of those TV games like OU in Norman this year down to the wire or actually pull an Oregon ST/USC type national TV upset. Winning 1 of those 2 (Tech/OU) would be a career coaching changer for him/Nebraska, imo. He certainly can't be seen on TV getting a game-killing 2nd 15 yard USL conduct flag, which followed a correct but unfortunate 4th down zebra call, and he needs to upgrade that ugly-azzed sweatshirt, at least on TV games. He's a head-coach now and not some GA. I just don't see it this year with that swiss-cheese D he has. But stranger things have happened, see Stanford/USC.

stoopified
10/5/2008, 10:47 AM
Unless your name is Bob Sttops,and you can raise the dead in two years.

badger
10/5/2008, 11:03 AM
You're wrong about that, badger. Opposing fans will always be treated well in Lincoln.

Fair enough, but every fanbase has their arseholes, including the one that decided to drop an OU uniform in a puddle of poo last time OU was up there in Lincoln.

Charla
10/5/2008, 11:04 AM
I would not care if Bud Wilkinson rose from the dead and went to be the coach of Neb. I would enjoy watching them get beat anytime. (Johnny Rodgers -Greg Pruit)

Collier11
10/5/2008, 11:15 AM
After what he pulled in Atlanta, I'll buy the piece of crap w/ ears part, but he went 41-9 with 2 conference titles in his 4 years at Louisville. I know a ton of teams that'd love to be screwed up like that.

he had great success but he left Kragthorpe a bunch of bad characters that had to be kicked off the team, no one on defense, and he did very little impact recruiting his past year or two