PDA

View Full Version : Built Road Tough

westcoast_sooner
10/5/2008, 12:06 AM
The "Built Road Tough" t-shirts have been well publicized. This team seems about a world away from last year's group in terms of going on the road and playing hard and winning. I'm sure everyone remembers the road games last season against CU, ISU and Tech, not to mention the debacle in Phoenix. The UW and Baylor games are the only ones away from Norman, but both have been pretty dominating performances.

This year's team seems to have developed a killer attitude that we haven't really seen in several years - perhaps since Mike Stoops left.

Anyone else see the same?

batonrougesooner
10/5/2008, 12:12 AM
I am cautiously optimistic.

BoulderSooner79
10/5/2008, 12:15 AM
The "Built Road Tough" t-shirts have been well publicized. This team seems about a world away from last year's group in terms of going on the road and playing hard and winning. I'm sure everyone remembers the road games last season against CU, ISU and Tech, not to mention the debacle in Phoenix. The UW and Baylor games are the only ones away from Norman, but both have been pretty dominating performances.

This year's team seems to have developed a killer attitude that we haven't really seen in several years - perhaps since Mike Stoops left.

Anyone else see the same?

Yep. I knew Stoops was serious about getting that quick lead and putting the game away early when he elected to kick-off. The wind was a big factor and we outplay BU 28-0 with the wind in the 1st qtr while they got us 14-7 in the 2nd. If they had the wind in the 1st and actually got a lead, it may have completely changed the game. To avoid upsets, you gotta have that put'em away attitude.

westcoast_sooner
10/5/2008, 01:07 AM
When you have a defense that's been playing well, I like the option of kicking first, playing D, getting a 3-and-out and getting the ball with good field position. The King did it all the time - it's good enough for me.

Curly Bill
10/5/2008, 01:08 AM
When you have a defense that's been playing well, I like the option of kicking first, playing D, getting a 3-and-out and getting the ball with good field position. The King did it all the time - it's good enough for me.

...plus going against a young QB, get him on the field right off.

bakerjrb
10/6/2008, 03:39 PM
Yep. I knew Stoops was serious about getting that quick lead and putting the game away early when he elected to kick-off. The wind was a big factor and we outplay BU 28-0 with the wind in the 1st qtr while they got us 14-7 in the 2nd. If they had the wind in the 1st and actually got a lead, it may have completely changed the game. To avoid upsets, you gotta have that put'em away attitude.

Actually, OU won the coin toss and deferred. Baylor chose to take the ball to start, so OU took the wind. I was there in Waco, and was watching who chose what.

I want to use this post to give Big Game Bob some props, too. With the Sooners driving in the last minute of the 1st quarter, Stoops called a time out, in order to score before the end of the quarter, and subsequently be able to kick off with the wind. I turned to my buddy and said, That's why he makes the big bucks".

Saturday can't get here soon enough for me!

BOOMER

cjames317
10/6/2008, 03:55 PM
I believe the Cincinnati and TCU games did a lot more to toughen up OUr boys.

BoulderSooner79
10/6/2008, 04:10 PM
Actually, OU won the coin toss and deferred. Baylor chose to take the ball to start, so OU took the wind. I was there in Waco, and was watching who chose what.

I want to use this post to give Big Game Bob some props, too. With the Sooners driving in the last minute of the 1st quarter, Stoops called a time out, in order to score before the end of the quarter, and subsequently be able to kick off with the wind. I turned to my buddy and said, That's why he makes the big bucks".

Saturday can't get here soon enough for me!

BOOMER

Yeah, that's what i meant. When you defer, it almost forces the other guy to take the ball and thus give you the wind choice. I noticed the timeout as the the end of the first as well and gave a little cheer. Details count and you have to respect every opponent.

Now for the potential down-side to success. How will we react against a team when we don't jump to the early lead? I predict very well.