PDA

View Full Version : Overconfidence of our opponents

adoniijahsooner
10/4/2008, 07:29 PM
Is anyone else surprised by the overconfidence of our opponents no matter what their record? I have heard Cin, Was, TCU, and baylor all claim that they will hang with us, and then after talk as if they "let one get away". What are they seeing on film that conjures up thoughts of victory? ANd will UT feel the same way next week?

OUinFLA
10/4/2008, 07:31 PM
well, hopefully they will feel the same way as you describe a week from tomorrow.

Curly Bill
10/4/2008, 07:53 PM
It's called false bravado.

the_ouskull
10/4/2008, 07:57 PM
It's called an entire week of the coaches pumping so much "why not us, why not now" down their player's throats that even THEY start to believe what they're saying. Then, when depantsed (in their own eyes) they have to try to recapture lost manhood by playing the "we really let an opportunity slip away here" card. That sh* t is almost as transparent as a guy playing the "yeah, I'm cool with just cuddling" card.

the_ouskull

OUHOMER
10/4/2008, 07:58 PM
They watched our bowl games:mad: :mad: :mad:
And they hope they can be the underdog who can pull the upset

westcoast_sooner
10/4/2008, 08:02 PM
It's "willing suspension of disbelief". They can't figure out that their record (2-2, 0-4 or whatever) could possibly be real, their fault, and will offer any possible excuse. Coaches continue to pump up the team with the same "you could be a Heisman winner" rhetoric they used in the recruiting process.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/4/2008, 08:07 PM
They're retarded.

adoniijahsooner
10/4/2008, 08:28 PM
It's called an entire week of the coaches pumping so much "why not us, why not now" down their player's throats that even THEY start to believe what they're saying. Then, when depantsed (in their own eyes) they have to try to recapture lost manhood by playing the "we really let an opportunity slip away here" card. That sh* t is almost as transparent as a guy playing the "yeah, I'm cool with just cuddling" card.

the_ouskull

It doesnt appear to be alot of "cuddling" going on when we deliver these ***-whoopins.

StoopTroup
10/4/2008, 08:31 PM
Anyone playing us to win is dreaming.

SbOrOiNaEnR
10/4/2008, 08:37 PM
It doesnt appear to be alot of "cuddling" going on when we deliver these ***-whoopins.

It's more of the tender, stroking-of-the-hair "I'm not gonna hurt you. I'm not gonna hurt you" that rapists tell their victims right before they slit your throat.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/4/2008, 08:39 PM
IT PUTS THE LOTION ON ITS SKIN

Johnny Utah
10/4/2008, 09:06 PM
It's the "every player gets a trophy" mentality that's infiltrated organized athletics. Their parents have brainwashed them to believe that they have way more talent then they really have ... 'cause if they did have that much talent they would be playing for OU.

bluedogok
10/4/2008, 09:32 PM
I could care less about what a player says before the game, if you go in thinking you are going to get your butt whipped, then you are already defeated. There are examples every weekend of teams that shouldn't win that do, just like Oregon State over USC and that gives the underdogs the feeling that they can do it, that is just the competitive nature in athletes. I for one wouldn't want a team coming in saying we are just happy to be here.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/4/2008, 09:39 PM
They watched our bowl games:mad: :mad: :mad:
And they hope they can be the underdog who can pull the upsetIt ain't "rocket science", is it?

10/4/2008, 09:41 PM
It's more of the tender, stroking-of-the-hair "I'm not gonna hurt you. I'm not gonna hurt you" that rapists tell their victims right before they slit your throat.OMG...your definiution of rape!!!:eek: :eek:

westcoast_sooner
10/4/2008, 10:31 PM
It's more of the tender, stroking-of-the-hair "I'm not gonna hurt you. I'm not gonna hurt you" that rapists tell their victims right before they slit your throat.

Not cool.

Longhorn Penguin
10/4/2008, 10:41 PM
Jeez. Are you gooners ever sober?

10/4/2008, 10:44 PM
Jeez. Are you gooners ever sober?Go pump some sunshine over at you-know-where.Hook 'em :mack: :chicken:

westcoast_sooner
10/4/2008, 10:44 PM
It's the "every player gets a trophy" mentality that's infiltrated organized athletics. Their parents have brainwashed them to believe that they have way more talent then they really have ... 'cause if they did have that much talent they would be playing for OU.

So you're saying that these guys are gonna be shocked then they don't start at the D1 level when they get there, or won't understand when they aren't a number 1 pick by an NFL team? Hmm - maybe Baylor, ISU, K-State and A&M should give rings to their guys for participation, because, after all, they did finish 3-9, but tried real hard.

the_ouskull
10/4/2008, 10:48 PM

No. P*ssy.

the_ouskull

SbOrOiNaEnR
10/4/2008, 10:53 PM

It's called being a "weekend drinker." You know, start on Saturday, end on Friday.

adoniijahsooner
10/5/2008, 12:45 AM
I could care less about what a player says before the game, if you go in thinking you are going to get your butt whipped, then you are already defeated. There are examples every weekend of teams that shouldn't win that do, just like Oregon State over USC and that gives the underdogs the feeling that they can do it, that is just the competitive nature in athletes. I for one wouldn't want a team coming in saying we are just happy to be here.

But afterwards they give excuses. today briles say they are closer to us than the score indicates. We never hear "we just got beat by a better team."

Breadburner
10/5/2008, 12:50 AM
This is a solid topic....I have had to hear this from a good friend of mine every week.....His is from New york lives in Oklahoma....He's starting to look like quite the dingleberry.......

Leroy Lizard
10/5/2008, 01:32 AM
These are competitors. They are not supposed to lie down for the opposition. Sheesh!

bluedogok
10/5/2008, 11:30 AM
But afterwards they give excuses. today briles say they are closer to us than the score indicates. We never hear "we just got beat by a better team."
That's coach speak to their own players, they can't come out and say we got our butts whipped and shouldn't be on the same field with them. Everyone should know by now that what coaches say to the media and what they really feel are usually two completely different things. If Briles (Patterson or whoever else) comes out and says that then they end up losing the team, fans and administration the rest of the season. Baylor did look "much closer" than they did in recent years, but then they have had a long way to come.

For the most part what coaches and players after the game means absolutely nothing....

the_ouskull
10/5/2008, 11:35 AM
Man, you left out a few words in that last sentence, eh?

As for what the content of said sentence was intended to be, I'll respond by saying this:

What OUR coaches and players say after a game should matter a great deal. I'm tired of ending each season with them saying loser things.

the_ouskull

stoopified
10/5/2008, 11:47 AM
Jeez. Are you gooners ever sober?I'm sobber,in between drinks.:D

bluedogok
10/5/2008, 12:03 PM
Man, you left out a few words in that last sentence, eh?
I fixed it....I think even what the OU staff and players says after a game is pretty much meaningless, it is just pablum for the masses.

Jacie
10/5/2008, 12:20 PM
So long as OUr coach doesn't attribute a Sooner loss to running out of time or the wind then I can handle what he says during the postgame interview.

cheezyq
10/7/2008, 03:48 PM
Wow...I wasn't all that into this thread topic at first, but I had to resurrect it when I saw this:

http://www.baylor.edu/lariat/news.php?action=story&story=53450

If Griffin's only talents were his speed and elusiveness, he would be a running back. As a quarterback, he's also expected to make plays through the air. Griffin only went 11-for-26 passing against a Sooners defense that freshman receiver Kendall Wright called "not as good as everybody thinks they are."

Even Griffin himself was less than complimentary of his opposition in the post-game press conference.

"I don't think they're the best defense we've seen this year," he said.

I wish someone would ask these punks, "So, if OU isn't as good as people are saying, where would that put <insert your team/offense/defense here> in the order of things?"...or, "Hey <insert opposition QB name here>, can you tell us what the grass on the <opposition team name> football field tastes like, seeing that you spent so much time with your face jammed into it?"

OU may not be the best defense out there, but they were good enough to beat the collective azzes of 5 straight teams. What's up with the disrespect?

picasso
10/7/2008, 03:50 PM

dude, Gooners is an oSuism. please be more imaginative.

picasso
10/7/2008, 03:52 PM
Kendall Wright is the punk that beat on his chest after an 8 yard run on a reverse. yeah, he's good.

Ardmore_Sooner
10/7/2008, 04:01 PM
Luke: You're overconfidence is your weakness.
Emperor: You're faith in your friends is yours!

Breadburner
10/7/2008, 04:07 PM
dude, Gooners is an oSuism. please be more imaginative.

He can't...It's a faggie in disguise....

picasso
10/7/2008, 04:10 PM
He can't...It's a faggie in disguise....

I'd be in disguise too.

Bosley
10/7/2008, 04:29 PM

It's 5:00 somewhere.

adoniijahsooner
10/7/2008, 04:49 PM
Wow...I wasn't all that into this thread topic at first, but I had to resurrect it when I saw this:

http://www.baylor.edu/lariat/news.php?action=story&story=53450

I wish someone would ask these punks, "So, if OU isn't as good as people are saying, where would that put <insert your team/offense/defense here> in the order of things?"...or, "Hey <insert opposition QB name here>, can you tell us what the grass on the <opposition team name> football field tastes like, seeing that you spent so much time with your face jammed into it?"

OU may not be the best defense out there, but they were good enough to beat the collective azzes of 5 straight teams. What's up with the disrespect?

That's the **** i'm talking about; someone finally found some of the comments I've been reading after every game. I believe wash is the only team that gave us props after the game. If I were stoops I would keep mashing the gas on these inferior teams in order to leave no doubt.