PDA

View Full Version : Props to the Linebackers today

tulsaoilerfan
10/4/2008, 04:10 PM
These guys are really impressive, and i thought Reynolds was really strong today in the middle; game broadcast showed Clayton with 14 tackles and i'm sure Reynolds had close to that many also; really, really solid against a good running team outside of 3 or 4 plays that Griffin made on his own

Curly Bill
10/4/2008, 04:15 PM
I thought Reynolds played pretty good as well, but on one of the BU drives I did see a couple of plays where he basically just ran himself into a block. I guess I noticed because someone had pointed that out on here a few weeks ago, and it was on one of the long BU drives where this was happening and he was pretty much the only guy in the middle of the field.

AzianSooner
10/4/2008, 04:27 PM
Reynold is very solid in tackle. But, they easily outrun him with some faster back.

DrZaius
10/4/2008, 04:28 PM
Ryan brought the heat at least once today. I know because I heard the hit here in Atlanta. :)

DrZaius
10/4/2008, 04:29 PM
I thought the linebackers were a little loose when there was a lot of field behind them but they tightened up quickly when Baylor neared the endzone.

tulsaoilerfan
10/4/2008, 04:29 PM
I thought Reynolds played pretty good as well, but on one of the BU drives I did see a couple of plays where he basically just ran himself into a block. I guess I noticed because someone had pointed that out on here a few weeks ago, and it was on one of the long BU drives where this was happening and he was pretty much the only guy in the middle of the field.

Oh yeah, that still happens on occasion, but i saw him make quite a few good one on one tackles today that could have been big plays if he whiffs

Curly Bill
10/4/2008, 04:33 PM
Oh yeah, that still happens on occasion, but i saw him make quite a few good one on one tackles today that could have been big plays if he whiffs

Agreed, all in all the way he was often left in the middle of the field by himself making him a target for their blockers I thought he played very well.

Curly Bill
10/4/2008, 04:34 PM
Agreed, all in all the way he was often left in the middle of the field by himself making him a target for their blockers I thought he played very well.

...and he will bring the lumber when he hits you! I like that a lot! :)

OUthunder
10/4/2008, 04:34 PM
The thing that I have noticed about the LB's and DB's is that unlike last year, they don't overrun the play. They seem to be more in control and keep the ball carrier in front of them to make the tackle.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/4/2008, 05:48 PM
baylor's philosophy in the first half was to neutralize the DL. there wasn't a single guy releasing on the linebackers and as a result that poor QB almost got killed. about the only time i saw reynolds close to a blocker was on that long griffin run where he charged in and got flip end over end by that guard (then got up and almost made the play).

in the second half they mixed it up and released more linemen onto the linebackers. the encouraging part was that reynolds was making a pile today (instead of going where the lineman wanted him to go) forcing them into clayton who was cleaning up the plays.

OKC-SLC
10/4/2008, 06:19 PM
baylor's philosophy in the first half was to neutralize the DL. there wasn't a single guy releasing on the linebackers and as a result that poor QB almost got killed. about the only time i saw reynolds close to a blocker was on that long griffin run where he charged in and got flip end over end by that guard (then got up and almost made the play).

in the second half they mixed it up and released more linemen onto the linebackers. the encouraging part was that reynolds was making a pile today (instead of going where the lineman wanted him to go) forcing them into clayton who was cleaning up the plays.

seems that you liked a bit of what you saw from Reynolds today? I have read with great interest your previous posts about his game.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/4/2008, 06:34 PM
you never know when its going to click for a player. my hope is that it quicks for everyone so we can get another MNC ;-).

other things - i thought lendy holmes played a really disciplined game in the secondary today staying back on several misdirection plays.

madu reminds me of billy without the aerial acrobatics.

i think gresham's ability to flow to the soft spot is going to make him a top 10 pick even with his so-so blocking.

i thought it was funny that brandon caleb was stumbling when he ran the db over. he probably never knew what was happening...