PDA

View Full Version : FWST: After regrouping, TCU stood up to Oklahoma’s challenge

colleyvillesooner
10/3/2008, 10:16 AM
http://www.star-telegram.com/college_sports/story/947251.html

TCU coach Gary Patterson told his team at halftime that it comes down to having "to decide what you want people to think of you and how you do things."

Hughes said he liked the Frogs’ response.

TCU gave up just 116 yards and seven points in the second half, even though it was already down 28-3 at the intermission.

"Just seeing our team at halftime regroup and everybody getting behind one another showed we have a great team this year, and we’re all going to fight," Hughes said. "It was good to see the chemistry of the team build up during halftime."

What a load of crap.

no mention of our 3 runs and punt offense for most of the 2nd half.

Dio
10/3/2008, 10:17 AM
sometimes the purple kool-aid tastes as bad as the orange...

stoops the eternal pimp
10/3/2008, 10:17 AM
His comment about "giving this one away" was priceles...

Scott D
10/3/2008, 10:27 AM
Patterson in his weekly press conference admitted that part of the reason their defense looked better in the second half was because we chose to run the ball a lot more in the second half to run the clock as much as possible.

8timechamps
10/3/2008, 10:32 AM
Gotta sell the paper.

oumartin
10/3/2008, 10:39 AM
me thinks next time TCU shows up in norman if Patterson is the coach that Stoops won't be letting up after halftime with some of the things Patterson has said after this loss

yermom
10/3/2008, 10:50 AM
it's kinda cute actually

:D

whatever keeps their confidence up, hopefully it won't matter, but i still would like to see our OOC teams win some games...

MiccoMacey
10/3/2008, 10:57 AM
I dont think Stoops cares about what he said.

He'll be too busy hoisting a trophy over his head at the end of the season.

FroggyStyle22
10/3/2008, 11:25 AM
Pattersons job is to take care of his team, not appease OU fans. We have a history of tanking a few games after losses to big teams. He is probably just trying to minimize this loss to his team. He has said on multiple occasions that OU was the better team and that they let up in the second half.

boomrsoonr
10/3/2008, 11:30 AM
Pattersons job is to take care of his team, not appease OU fans. We have a history of tanking a few games after losses to big teams. He is probably just trying to minimize this loss to his team. He has said on multiple occasions that OU was the better team and that they let up in the second half.

I agree. And, he can tell them to hold their heads up. They just lost to the #1 team in the Country!

oumartin
10/3/2008, 11:31 AM
Patterson is an a-hole.

FroggyStyle22
10/3/2008, 11:35 AM
Patterson is an a-hole.

Well thought-out consice argument. I have no response.

oumartin
10/3/2008, 11:38 AM
he is a Nick Saban type football coach. Hard to work for defensive guy that is a total a-hole

FroggyStyle22
10/3/2008, 11:40 AM
Not saying I completely disagree. How do you know this?

oumartin
10/3/2008, 11:41 AM
I know people

fwsooner22
10/3/2008, 11:41 AM
Does coach Patterson understand that they have more games this season. I have never heard a coach make more mention of "last weeks game". Isn't it an unwritten coaches rule to move on to the next week/next game? I have lost a lot of respect for him as a coach and I didn't have that much to begin. I am a TCU and OU season ticket holder. It will be difficult to look at him with any amount of respect from here forward. There appears to be a very obvious reason why he has stayed at TCU all these years.

FroggyStyle22
10/3/2008, 11:46 AM
Does coach Patterson understand that they have more games this season. I have never heard a coach make more mention of "last weeks game". Isn't it an unwritten coaches rule to move on to the next week/next game? I have lost a lot of respect for him as a coach and I didn't have that much to begin. I am a TCU and OU season ticket holder. It will be difficult to look at him with any amount of respect from here forward. There appears to be a very obvious reason why he has stayed at TCU all these years.

As I said above and you are probably aware being a season ticket holder. We have tanked after losing big games in the past. He has tried the just move on strategy before. Plus you are acting like he is searching out reporters to talk about OU. If someone asks him about the game he will talk about it. Writers are going to write about stories involving OU instead of San Diego State if given the choice. Even if it was last week.

Sorry you've lost respect for him. I'm still glad to have him.

oumartin
10/3/2008, 11:52 AM
Patterson is a damn fine coach. Nobody is baggin' on him for that. But when you continually talk about giving a game away (no matter what other things you admit too, like being beat) that is not going to sit well.

I don't know the guy personally but have heard things over the years about him just being hard to work for and that unless you really know the guy that he comes across as a total a-hole.

At least he is committed to TCU, (maybe due to his personality keeping him from getting other jobs)

FroggyStyle22
10/3/2008, 12:01 PM
I played at TCU while he was the D-coordinator. I couldn't stand him at the time, but he does grow on you and I eventually got to the point were I respect him very much. I can see both sides of it.

He has been offered jobs at automatic qualifier schools like Minnesota and possibly K-state (not sure if he was offered because he renewed his contract with TCU in the middle of the talks).

Anyway, seeing as how TCU was so last week, let's talk about the really important things like Art Briles and Brian Britt.

Scott D
10/3/2008, 12:15 PM

well to be fair, reporters were only asking him about Oklahoma, despite the fact that he wanted to talk about SDSU. He even brought a lot of comments about the MWC as a whole, including their play against the PAC-10, and STILL reporters kept asking about Oklahoma.

To a lesser degree, Chuck Long spent about 20 minutes talking about Oklahoma during his presser despite trying to deflect things back to TCU.