PDA

View Full Version : Are we scared of playing USC ?

ratedrsuperstar
10/3/2008, 06:28 AM
During my time here I have seen a number of USC threads where we are wanting the Trojans to lose and/or hoping they can't win the PAC 10 or get back to the title game. Is it fear because of what they did the last time ?

I don't understand it, to be the man you have to beat the man !!

Doged
10/3/2008, 07:29 AM
You're confusing fear with distaste. I just don't like them, and that dislike is fueled by the NCAA's double standard in dealing with their rules violations as opposed to OUr's together with the arrogance of their fans, which may actually exceed the arrogance of OUr fans.

And in case you have looked lately, we are "the man".

MichiganSooner
10/3/2008, 07:36 AM
No, I am not scared to play USC. I am not afraid of any team in the country. I cheer when one of the undefeateds goes down because it is one less we have to worry about in blocking us from getting in the Big Game.

Miko
10/3/2008, 08:08 AM
I don't think it is fear of playing anyone. I know I am eager to see the Sooners in the MNC game even if we have to play the all-madden team who will field 11 Ditkas at once.

I think the overriding concern was being locked out of the game and suc losing helped make that a bit less likely.

boomrsoonr
10/3/2008, 08:18 AM
Like others have said, it's not fear of playing them. It's a distaste of the hype, from both the media and their fans, surrounding the "greatest teams ever to play the game". The same great teams that turn around and lose to Stanford, and Oregon State because they thought all they had to do was show up and those teams would lay down.

yermom
10/3/2008, 08:31 AM
i'm a little scared...

but i'd love the chance to see us get some revenge on those ****ers

OU-HSV
10/3/2008, 08:34 AM
Not scared at all...bring them on

stoops the eternal pimp
10/3/2008, 08:38 AM
I m a little scared of carny's...and Carny WIlson

My Opinion Matters
10/3/2008, 08:40 AM
Nobody will admit to it, but yeah, collectively as a fanbase we're a little scared. The team isn't scared though.

badger
10/3/2008, 08:44 AM
:les: NO. [hairGel]

The Maestro
10/3/2008, 08:45 AM
I'm not scared, but I am scared of our history against them. In my lifetime, the freaking tie we gave them, the heartbreaking last second loss when we fumbled 27 times, the end of our games scored streak, the game where you could tell Jamelle just didn't have it anymore, William Shankle's 15 yard cushion on USC receivers and the game of which we do not speak.

That's not a good record against a team over the last 35 years.

primetime43
10/3/2008, 08:46 AM
honestly I would rather play LSU. I have to work with a bunch of LSU fans and they think they're God's gift to college football. Nothing would make me happier if we beat LSU

CobraKai
10/3/2008, 08:50 AM
I m a little scared of carny's...and Carny WIlson

There are only two things I'm scared of, and one of them's nuclear war.

Miko
10/3/2008, 08:52 AM
and wasps. Don't know why, but they do.

OU-HSV
10/3/2008, 09:01 AM
honestly I would rather play LSU. I have to work with a bunch of LSU fans and they think they're God's gift to college football. Nothing would make me happier if we beat LSU

That's very true as well

birddog
10/3/2008, 09:08 AM
. I know I am eager to see the Sooners in the MNC game even if we have to play the all-madden team who will field 11 Ditkas at once.

perhaps you would change your opinion if it were 22 mini ditkas?

stoops the eternal pimp
10/3/2008, 09:09 AM
1 Bob Stoops is enough to over come at least 44 mini ditkas

birddog
10/3/2008, 09:15 AM
ok, stoops versus 44 mini ditkas AND a hurricane? hold on, hold on....the name of the hurricane is hurricane ditka!

birddog
10/3/2008, 09:17 AM
i don't think anyone should be afraid of usc. of course they can blow anyone out when it comes to big games but we look solid enough (sans the special teams) to not get humiliated again.

WildHorse
10/3/2008, 09:17 AM
I say bring it on. Would be even better to beat them in their own backyard.

boomrsoonr
10/3/2008, 09:48 AM
Ideal situation, for me. Both OU and LSU go undefeated and meet in the Orange Bowl.

OU wins 38 - 14.

SEC shuts down and secceeds from the Union.

I hate the SEC fans more than I hate USuCk.

BoulderSooner79
10/3/2008, 10:15 AM
The fear for me is that 'SC had a lock on the title game leaving only 1 slot open for everyone else. Even with a weak schedule, they would have been in if they went undefeated. Now that they have lost, the weak schedule is an anchor instead of an advantage. Both title game slots are wide open.

If we are lucky enough to get a slot, I hope we play a school we haven't played before. I.e not USC and not LSU (FSU not a possibility). But I ain't scared. To get that far, both teams must be very good, so there is no guarantee of victory.

Mad Dog Madsen
10/3/2008, 10:21 AM
Please don't tell me you actually thought somebody would post here and say "YES."

Scott D
10/3/2008, 10:26 AM
only thing about USC that scares me is being trapped in a dark alley by those as lsu types put it heauxmeauxs.

1890MilesToNorman
10/3/2008, 10:50 AM
The only thing I'm scared of is my girlfriend, she's nutz!

We don't have a great record against SC but there is no reason to fear any team. I was at the Coliseum back in the 70's for the 7-7 tie (about 12 years old), i don't think we have beat them since? Sooners don't cowher in the face of any team!!!

Lott's Bandana
10/3/2008, 11:04 AM
The only thing I'm scared of is my girlfriend, she's nutz!

We don't have a great record against SC but there is no reason to fear any team. I was at the Coliseum back in the 70's for the 7-7 tie (about 12 years old), i don't think we have beat them since? Sooners don't cowher in the face of any team!!!

We went into that game as significant underdogs against a John McKay team with Pat Haden at QB, in their house. We outplayed them in every way, ending up tied. Barry went on an undefeated tear for quite some time, but because we were on probation because of some HS transcript tomfoolery, SUC was awarded a UPI MNC at the end of the year because the coaches poll (UPI) didn't include teams on probation at the time.
SUC claims that MNC even though they finished the year 10-1-1. OU finished 10-0-1. (OU was AP MNC)

That's when the complete and total HATRED began and continues to this day. I ain't skeered of 'em, but if they lose every game they play, that isn't enough.

soonermix
10/3/2008, 11:06 AM
i'm not scared of USC but gosh dern it i love to see them lose because i hate them

JLEW1818
10/3/2008, 11:08 AM
I'M TERRIFIED

that Dirty Sanchez might try to give one to our guys.

jrboomersooner
10/3/2008, 11:16 AM
I was a little scared until i saw the suc/ostate game. now im very confident, i wish we could play them in the nc game. especially if we could get Q some eligibility

Dan Thompson
10/3/2008, 11:21 AM
I have to live next to them, they are all over the place down here.

There is no such thing as a peaceful football conversion with them.

tbl
10/3/2008, 11:55 AM
I wouldn't mind playing them, seeing as how we've never played them before. I have no memories of any game with USC...

JLEW1818
10/3/2008, 12:05 PM
nice posts , how did that happen

Salt City Sooner
10/3/2008, 06:55 PM
We went into that game as significant underdogs against a John McKay team with Pat Haden at QB, in their house. We outplayed them in every way, ending up tied. Barry went on an undefeated tear for quite some time, but because we were on probation because of some HS transcript tomfoolery, SUC was awarded a UPI MNC at the end of the year because the coaches poll (UPI) didn't include teams on probation at the time.
SUC claims that MNC even though they finished the year 10-1-1. OU finished 10-0-1. (OU was AP MNC)

That's when the complete and total HATRED began and continues to this day. I ain't skeered of 'em, but if they lose every game they play, that isn't enough.
You're off a year. OU & SC split the polls in '74, when OU ran the table but didn't play in a bowl due to the probation. In '73 (the year of the 7-7 tie), Notre Dame (AP) & 'Bama (coaches), both 11-0, split the polls. OU was 2nd in the coaches & 3rd in the AP. tOSU was vice-versa.

BigBoomerInBigD
10/3/2008, 08:38 PM
:texan: HELL, no!

Soonermagik
10/3/2008, 09:11 PM
The Giants lost to the Pats in the regular season, but they weren't skeered to play them in the super bowl.

Remember, just because a team beats you once doesn't mean the same process will repeat. I think we could beat SC this year, or vice versa it just matters who wants it most.

Piware
10/3/2008, 11:41 PM
Not scared - just sick to death of them. The ongoing media love fest, hokey Pac-10 and the guy in the skirt have put me right over the top. Don't get me started on their celebrity fans and the ever so suave Petey.

On the other hand, I stayed mad at Miami for 30 years too so perhaps my views are not completely rational regarding former opponents.

10/3/2008, 11:48 PM
If "we" includes the team, probably not. Just another team.

If "we" is us idiots on the message board, then YES!

Soonerus
10/3/2008, 11:49 PM
If "we" includes the team, probably not. Just another team.

If "we" is us idiots on the message board, then YES!

disagree, USC is down this year...

JLEW1818
10/4/2008, 02:41 AM
I'm so hammered does anybody wanna chat? hahah Gameday in about 6 hours.

Lott's Bandana
10/4/2008, 09:02 AM
You're off a year. OU & SC split the polls in '74, when OU ran the table but didn't play in a bowl due to the probation. In '73 (the year of the 7-7 tie), Notre Dame (AP) & 'Bama (coaches), both 11-0, split the polls. OU was 2nd in the coaches & 3rd in the AP. tOSU was vice-versa.

You're right, I got the years mixed up but my hatred began with that one-loss suc team that claims a MNC 'cause of our probation.

This makes me happy tho:

U1Ms_37TWBI

From that 7-7 game. How do you think BBS would have called this one?

Rogue
10/4/2008, 09:04 AM
Until I see better secondary play and special teams, yeah I'd be worried to see 'em anytime soon.

stoopified
10/4/2008, 10:49 AM
NO