PDA

View Full Version : The Undefeated Streak and National Championships

jthomasou78
10/2/2008, 06:35 PM
I was always curious as to how we went so long without losing a football game and only won a championship in two years. I was shocked that two weeks before losing to Notre Dame we had been dropped to number 2 in the polls.

Can you imagine in todays time a team not losing for 3 years and not ranked unanimously number 1?

Frozen Sooner
10/2/2008, 06:47 PM
Well, part of it was that the undefeated streak both began and ended in the middle of seasons.

badger
10/2/2008, 06:49 PM
Well, part of it was that the undefeated streak both began and ended in the middle of seasons.

which, according to the big, mizzou and roid ragin' chase daniel, makes it not astreak if it's not in the same game, season, whatev :mad:

SAM BRADFORD HAS THE RECORD!!!!

SbOrOiNaEnR
10/2/2008, 07:21 PM

And because of that, there were only 3 undefeated or untied full seasons. '55 and '56 are a non-issue (obviously)...and in '54, you had tOSU, UCLA, and Oklahoma all finish the season unbeaten or untied. In their last games, tOSU beat a 12th-ranked Michigan team 21-7, while UCLA torched #8 SUC 34-0, all while we beat a pre-relevant Nebbish 55-7 and (are they ever relevant?) Aggy 14-0 a week later. It's just an example of Auburn karma 50 years earlier, and I don't have a lot of beef with not winning one then.

tulsaoilerfan
10/2/2008, 07:46 PM
I was always curious as to how we went so long without losing a football game and only won a championship in two years. I was shocked that two weeks before losing to Notre Dame we had been dropped to number 2 in the polls.

Can you imagine in todays time a team not losing for 3 years and not ranked unanimously number 1?

That damn ESPN bias got us!!:texan:

jthomasou78
10/2/2008, 10:31 PM
Another problem was an archaic conference rule that prevented us from going to the Orange Bowl in consecutive years.

SbOrOiNaEnR
10/2/2008, 11:18 PM
Another problem was an archaic conference rule that prevented us from going to the Orange Bowl in consecutive years.

Would that have really mattered though? Back then, the last polls were taken and the national championship was decided after the last week of the season, long before the bowl games. The true spirit of the bowls was still intact - that of a meaningless exhibition.

tulsaoilerfan
10/2/2008, 11:24 PM
Would that have really mattered though? Back then, the last polls were taken and the national championship was decided after the last week of the season, long before the bowl games. The true spirit of the bowls was still intact - that of a meaningless exhibition.

No, cause the polls were final before the bowls