PDA

View Full Version : Fing Stevens is going to get off.

Frozen Sooner
10/2/2008, 11:57 AM
Nice job, prosecution. Let's fail to give the defense potentially exculpatory evidence that wouldn't have damaged your case very badly so that there's grounds for a mistrial.

Well played.

Scott D
10/2/2008, 02:09 PM
you forgot the fact that it'll give him enough time to get his share of the "golden parachute...er bailout" ;)

Frozen Sooner
10/2/2008, 02:19 PM
Well, he already voted for it.

Seriously, this was a bonehead maneuver by the prosecution. One of a more suspicious mind than mine would almost think that they were trying to lose this case.

The information in question: The former president of VECO said in a deposition that he thought that if he had presented Stevens with a bill Stevens would have paid it.

1) This information should have been turned over to the prosecution immediately, as it is potentially exculpatory (though I don't think it is).

2) I don't think this information WAS exculpatory because the issue isn't whether or not Stevens would have paid for the improvements to his house, it's whether or not the improvements were a gift and whether or not he knowingly failed to report these gifts.

3) It may not have been admissable anyhow, as it's conjecture on Allen's part.

Absolutely, ginormously stupid on the part of the prosecution.

I'd say that there's a better than even chance that the judge either declares a mistrial or dismisses the charges entirely.

soonerboomer93
10/2/2008, 03:10 PM
time to cut back on the Law and Order

:D

TheHumanAlphabet
10/2/2008, 03:16 PM
Who is this Fing Stevens? I thought it was Ted? ;)

Why on earth would you withold any info when in most instances you probably had a convistion? Hell, I'd be giving them detailed notes of his bathroom habits and what he ate during depositions, etc...

Wish I had a fishing buddy who would let me slide on just lunches and beer.

Frozen Sooner
10/2/2008, 03:17 PM
That's what I'm saying, man. I mean the Justice Department had a pretty airtight case and Stevens' whole strategy has been based around trying to get a procedural mistrial. Then they just HAND one to them.

Grrrr.

Frozen Sooner
10/2/2008, 05:01 PM
The trial continues, surprisingly.