PDA

View Full Version : Why did Baylor hire Briles instead of Singletary?

columbuscreek
10/1/2008, 06:06 PM
Idiots.

tommieharris91
10/1/2008, 06:08 PM
Singletary turned em down, right?

soonerinabilene
10/1/2008, 06:12 PM
because he is a better coach that can actually make them have a .500 record.

oumartin
10/1/2008, 06:13 PM
Singletary dent turn them down to my knowledge.

I think Briles will be a decent coach for them but he is not a defense type guy so I think they will still be at the bottom of the big 12 with A&M

royalfan5
10/1/2008, 06:34 PM
Being a great player at a school doesn't mean you will in any way resemble a competent coach, see John Blake, and Clyde Drexler for examples off the top of my head. Briles has won at multiple levels of football and has a bulit up Texas recruiting network. Baylor is damn lucky to have him.

wdupyall
10/1/2008, 06:36 PM
Singletary turned them down bc Baylor said they werent going to build a new indoor practice facily and he couldnt choose his coaches...i think thats what i remember?

SicEmBaylor
10/1/2008, 06:38 PM
Singletary turned em down, right?

There was a large segment of the BOR that was desperate to hire Mike Singletary, but the hiring process was left entirely in the hands of our AD which is VERY different than how its been done in the past. Now, our AD didn't worship Singletary like some did and went ahead with an objective coaching search.

I never really liked the idea of hiring Singletary. The guy has no college coaching experience, and not all that much in the NFL and what coaching he has done in the NFL hasn't exactly shocked the coaching world.

I think not hiring Singletary was the smartest thing we have done in a very long time. Art Briles has successfully coached at EVERY level of the game. The man has literally never failed, he's extremely popular with Texas HS coaches which helps with recruiting, and he was less of a gamble than Singletary.

We got this hire right.

SicEmBaylor
10/1/2008, 06:40 PM
Singletary turned them down bc Baylor said they werent going to build a new indoor practice facily and he couldnt choose his coaches...i think thats what i remember?

The offer was half-hearted. Our AD discussed the issue more out of keeping up appearances with the Board of Regents then a willing desire to offer. The real issue had to do with money. Singletary asked for a figure that I've heard described as "astonishing."

I was highly turned off by the more rabid Singletary boosters who, frankly, divorced themselves of all reason.

SicEmBaylor
10/1/2008, 06:43 PM
Being a great player at a school doesn't mean you will in any way resemble a competent coach, see John Blake, and Clyde Drexler for examples off the top of my head. Briles has won at multiple levels of football and has a bulit up Texas recruiting network. Baylor is damn lucky to have him.

You are precisely right.

oumartin
10/1/2008, 06:46 PM
The biggest reason Baylor stinks is cuz they are a Baptist school and we all know how God feels about Baptist

SoonerKnight
10/1/2008, 06:48 PM
he is a good coach that won't stay.

badger
10/1/2008, 07:17 PM
Cuz even Singletary knew that Baylor was a place where coaches go to die.

:P

Tulsa_Fireman
10/1/2008, 07:43 PM
Samurai Mike would've had you playing defense. God forbid.

SoonerKnight
10/1/2008, 11:27 PM
The biggest reason Baylor stinks is cuz they are a Baptist school and we all know how God feels about Baptist

Funny. At least Oklahoma has a lottery now. Thanks Baptist!!

:) :pop:

Leroy Lizard
10/1/2008, 11:27 PM
Hiring ex-players is almost always a bad idea. They are rarely hired for the right reason and almost never the best person for the job. Then when they suck, you have a hard time getting rid of them.

Cheshire Bear.
10/2/2008, 03:06 AM
There was a large segment of the BOR that was desperate to hire Mike Singletary, but the hiring process was left entirely in the hands of our AD which is VERY different than how its been done in the past. Now, our AD didn't worship Singletary like some did and went ahead with an objective coaching search.

I never really liked the idea of hiring Singletary. The guy has no college coaching experience, and not all that much in the NFL and what coaching he has done in the NFL hasn't exactly shocked the coaching world.

I think not hiring Singletary was the smartest thing we have done in a very long time. Art Briles has successfully coached at EVERY level of the game. The man has literally never failed, he's extremely popular with Texas HS coaches which helps with recruiting, and he was less of a gamble than Singletary.

We got this hire right.

Absolutely. That's the general consensus amongst Baylor fans. Coach Briles is a proven winner, unlike some previous coaches not named Teaff, is a proven recruiter, and has the type of attitude to get people excited. Through 4 games you can already see an obvious change. Also, Les Miles isn't a "defensive coach" either. It's about the staff you have around you. I don't think any of us are sure what to think of Coach Norwood, our defensive coordinator, yet. Briles was a WAY better hire than Singletary. At the top of my list was Houston Nutt, but Art Briles was right behind him. Luckily, I think we got this one right.

Cheshire Bear.
10/2/2008, 03:08 AM
Samurai Mike would've had you playing defense. God forbid.

Did you see any of his defenses at San Francisco? Other than Patrick Willis they were pretty bad. He can coach up some LBs, but what qualifies him to be a HC at a Big 12 school? Not much. Don't get me wrong. The guy is one of the greatest football players ever and is a great asset to Baylor, but just because he was a great player doesn't mean that he's qualified to be a coach either.

SicEmBaylor
10/2/2008, 05:06 AM
Did you see any of his defenses at San Francisco? Other than Patrick Willis they were pretty bad. He can coach up some LBs, but what qualifies him to be a HC at a Big 12 school? Not much. Don't get me wrong. The guy is one of the greatest football players ever and is a great asset to Baylor, but just because he was a great player doesn't mean that he's qualified to be a coach either.

You're a smart guy (obviously since you're a Baylor man) you should hang around here more! We need more Baylor blood in these parts -- Chuck Bao and I are pretty much it as far as I know.

SoonersEnFuego
10/2/2008, 07:02 AM
Hiring ex-players is almost always a bad idea. They are rarely hired for the right reason and almost never the best person for the job. Then when they suck, you have a hard time getting rid of them.
IE: John Blake :mad:

SoonersEnFuego
10/2/2008, 07:04 AM
Briles is a proven College Coach and brings a new kind of offense that can put points on the board. They will still be bottom feeders, but have a chance this year to finish better than aTm, IMHO.

KingBarry
10/2/2008, 01:47 PM
he is a good coach that won't stay.

Name me one good coach that will stay at Baylor.

columbuscreek
10/2/2008, 02:05 PM
Sorry, but I disagree. College is all about recruiting. Singletary could out recruit Briles in a heartbeat. The NFL is a whole different league. As a coach you are stuck with who you draft. In college Singletary could have recruited lights out. Don't get me wrong, Briles is a good coach, Singletary would have been great.

bearfan08
10/2/2008, 02:15 PM
Briles is a proven College Coach and brings a new kind of offense that can put points on the board. They will still be bottom feeders, but have a chance this year to finish better than aTm, IMHO.

We will probably finish 3 up from the bottom in the big 12 especially since we play both Iowa State and aggie this year. It will be very tough for us to finish better than that because we have ya'll at home, and mizzou which if we win one i will probably have a heart attack. both aggie and iowa state are also at home. Our away games are nebraska, osu, tech, and texas. When that schedule flips next year we have a shot at 4 big 12 wins since being at home will help against nebraska and osu, but with those teams on the road we will be lucky for one win this year. I just want to see us get through this season healthy for next year, and just wait till saturday and you will see another great big12 QB on the field for the bears.

bearfan08
10/2/2008, 02:23 PM
Sorry, but I disagree. College is all about recruiting. Singletary could out recruit Briles in a heartbeat. The NFL is a whole different league. As a coach you are stuck with who you draft. In college Singletary could have recruited lights out. Don't get me wrong, Briles is a good coach, Singletary would have been great.

What contacts does singletary have all singletary has is a name (ask aTm how that is working for them). He may have resonated with older baylor alums, but unless they have great football players for kids that does us no good. Briles was a High School football coach for years in Texas, high school football coaches know who he is and what he stands for. Briles was the right choice for the singular reason of Robert Griffin III. he brought him from houston to baylor, and that one player will help us turn our program around. just wait until saturday and you will see what I mean.

badger
10/2/2008, 02:50 PM
We will probably finish 3 up from the bottom in the big 12 especially since we play both Iowa State and aggie this year.

You guys really need to go bowl trippin' this year. I mean, it's about time, isn't it? We were all rooting for you to go in 2005 when you were so close... of course, so long as it wasn't at our expense. That will be the stipulation this time around too. You can go bowl trippin' and we want you to go, but you BETTER not beat us to get eligible :mad:

:D Now have a good Big 12 season, Bears.

:mad: Starting NEXT week, that is. Then, the Bear Cavalry can take over:
http://i37.tinypic.com/23w0f2a.jpg

SicEmBaylor
10/2/2008, 03:06 PM

Blake could recruit. Mack can recruit. Recruiting doesn't equal a great coach. And how do you know that Singletary would have been a great recruiter? Briles is a great recruiter and has the track record to prove it. There is no such proof or evidence that Singletary could have done anything.

Frozen Sooner
10/2/2008, 03:09 PM
We will probably finish 3 up from the bottom in the big 12 especially since we play both Iowa State and aggie this year. It will be very tough for us to finish better than that because we have ya'll at home, and mizzou which if we win one i will probably have a heart attack. both aggie and iowa state are also at home. Our away games are nebraska, osu, tech, and texas. When that schedule flips next year we have a shot at 4 big 12 wins since being at home will help against nebraska and osu, but with those teams on the road we will be lucky for one win this year. I just want to see us get through this season healthy for next year, and just wait till saturday and you will see another great big12 QB on the field for the bears.

Let's see:

Art Briles recruited Baylor's current QB to Baylor. He also recruited current NFL QB Kolb (though admittedly he had an inside track on that one) to Houston. He's got recruiting contacts throughout the state of Texas and particularly in talent-rich Houston.

Mike Singletary has never had to recruit anyone in his life.

Edge: Briles.

Art Briles has produced a winning football team at a program decimated by NCAA sanctions.

Mike Singletary has never been a head coach.

Edge: Briles.

Mike Singletary appeared in the "Super Bowl Shuffle" video.

Art Briles sometimes sings in the shower.

Edge: Singletary.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/2/2008, 03:16 PM

Not saying Singletary would not be a great coach, but John Blake was/is a pretty darn good recruiter....

bearfan08
10/2/2008, 03:22 PM
Let's see:

Art Briles recruited Baylor's current QB to Baylor. He also recruited current NFL QB Kolb (though admittedly he had an inside track on that one) to Houston. He's got recruiting contacts throughout the state of Texas and particularly in talent-rich Houston.

The reason Kolb went to Houston is Briles was the head coach when Kolb was a freshman maybe sophomore at Stephenville. The story is Kolb had commited to okie light and was driving to go to school in the spring heard on the radio that Briles was taking the job at Houston. He then turned around and enrolled in Houston a week later. Not sure I buy the story but this is what I hear. My high school team played stephenville. I played against Kolb and Jevan Sneed (he started as a sophmore). This is why i know about it.

CobraKai
10/2/2008, 03:28 PM
Mike Singletary appeared in the "Super Bowl Shuffle" video.

Art Briles sometimes sings in the shower.

Edge: Singletary.

I remember that video well. It took years to get the images of McMahon and Sweetness trying to dance out of my head. I would give the edge to Briles in this category as well.

Frozen Sooner
10/2/2008, 03:33 PM
The reason Kolb went to Houston is Briles was the head coach when Kolb was a freshman maybe sophomore at Stephenville. The story is Kolb had commited to okie light and was driving to go to school in the spring heard on the radio that Briles was taking the job at Houston. He then turned around and enrolled in Houston a week later. Not sure I buy the story but this is what I hear. My high school team played stephenville. I played against Kolb and Jevan Sneed (he started as a sophmore). This is why i know about it.

I believe I mentioned that Briles had an inside track on Kolb. :D

TexasLidig8r
10/2/2008, 03:34 PM
and although aggy will never admit it..

They're kicking themselves for not pursuing Art Briles.

columbuscreek
10/2/2008, 03:40 PM
Time will tell. Briles is ok, but he won't take Baylor to the mountain top, Singletary would. To say no one knows Singletary is the height of stupidity. Last I heard John Blake was going to be on Singletary's staff in Waco along with Leslie Frazier, that would have been an amazing combination. I was also told he had an unamed UT coach coming to Waco with him too as well as some other surprises. I have no doubt Singletary could have made Baylor a contender in the Big 12 fast. Much faster than Briles. I predict under Briles Baylor will do OK, but won't be great.

I don't think Singletary would have had any trouble getting into High Schools in Texas let alone Ohio, Florida, or Pennsylvania looking for the best athlete in the country. Briles can't do that.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/2/2008, 03:41 PM

imo, success in college football boils down to coaching.

1. you have to have a coach who can instill such rabid fanaticism in his players that they bust their tail for him the 9 months out of the year they aren't allowed to talk to him.

2. you have to have a coach who can put together a system that maximizes the effectiveness of your natural recruiting pool. said coach has to stick with this system even when "better" athletes are available, choosing the "better" athlete that fits your system.

the 2nd part is the hardest part for a coach who begins to win. heck, we've suffered from it and our "natural" talent pool was already some pretty good athletes. call it tommy bowden syndrome, whatever, but you have to make sure that when player A and "more talented" player B are next to each you take the guy that best fits your system. if not, you end up with "recruiting busts".

bearfan08
10/2/2008, 03:46 PM
I believe I mentioned that Briles had an inside track on Kolb. :D

just explaining

SicEmBaylor
10/2/2008, 03:47 PM
Time will tell. Briles is ok, but he won't take Baylor to the mountain top, Singletary would. To say no one knows Singletary is the height of stupidity. Last I heard John Blake was going to be on Singletary's staff in Waco along with Leslie Frazier, that would have been an amazing combination. I was also told he had an unamed UT coach coming to Waco with him too as well as some other surprises. I have no doubt Singletary could have made Baylor a contender in the Big 12 fast. Much faster than Briles. I predict under Briles Baylor will do OK, but won't be great.

I don't think Singletary would have had any trouble getting into High Schools in Texas let alone Ohio, Florida, or Pennsylvania looking for the best athlete in the country. Briles can't do that.

I think you should stop now. Just stop.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/2/2008, 03:48 PM
sic'em..the Baylor voice of reason

bearfan08
10/2/2008, 03:49 PM
2. you have to have a coach who can put together a system that maximizes the effectiveness of your natural recruiting pool. said coach has to stick with this system even when "better" athletes are available, choosing the "better" athlete that fits your system.

the 2nd part is the hardest part for a coach who begins to win. heck, we've suffered from it and our "natural" talent pool was already some pretty good athletes. call it tommy bowden syndrome, whatever, but you have to make sure that when player A and "more talented" player B are next to each you take the guy that best fits your system. if not, you end up with "recruiting busts".

Leach, as much as i dislike tech, does this very well. Some of it is him taking what is left over to him recruiting wise, and the other is they will fit his system very well. That has been the case with some of the Tech QBs. Are they in the NFL, no. were they pretty good in college with ridiculous numbers in Leach's sytem, yes.

SicEmBaylor
10/2/2008, 03:53 PM
Leach, as much as i dislike tech, does this very well. Some of it is him taking what is left over to him recruiting wise, and the other is they will fit his system very well. That has been the case with some of the Tech QBs. Are they in the NFL, no. were they pretty good in college with ridiculous numbers in Leach's sytem, yes.

I don't have a large problem with Tech. I admire their hatred of all things Aggie. And how can you not like the eccentricity of Leach? A crazier SOB in coaching I have not seen.

bearfan08
10/2/2008, 03:55 PM
I don't have a large problem with Tech. I admire their hatred of all things Aggie. And how can you not like the eccentricity of Leach? A crazier SOB in coaching I have not seen.

Said nothing against leach just that dust bowl that they call a school.

SicEmBaylor
10/2/2008, 03:59 PM
Said nothing against leach just that dust bowl that they call a school.

True enough.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/2/2008, 03:59 PM
yay! Baylor Fans UNITE!

stoopified
10/2/2008, 04:01 PM
So far I would say Briles looks good BUT lets see how he lokks after 2-3 full seasons.I personally think Briles made a mistake going from Houston to Baylor.It is easier to win at Houston then at Baylor vs. Big 12 competition.From Baylor's POV it is a good hire.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/2/2008, 04:03 PM
I just wonder how much tithe money they pay Briles

SicEmBaylor
10/2/2008, 04:11 PM

He is well compensated. I also believe we gave him a 10 year contract, but I may be wrong about that.

Booner
10/2/2008, 04:13 PM
Consider me skeptical about any coach who goes to Baylor. They could have hired Nick Saban and Baylor wouldn't get above 4th place in the Big 12 South.

Baylor just doesn't have the fan support or resources to compete in football on a regular basis in the Big 12. Floyd Casey stadium is better known as (insert visitor team stadium) (insert compass heading of Floyd Casey to visitor team stadium). Until Baylor fans outnumber Longhorn or Aggie fans in their own stadium, not much will change.

badger
10/2/2008, 04:22 PM

I think Baylor should lose Saturday. Just lose.

OU86
10/2/2008, 04:30 PM

Port of call - Waco, Texas.

Baylor. It's not just a job. It's $119.23 a week (in season).

columbuscreek
10/2/2008, 04:33 PM
I will stop when I want to. I don't listen to some punk from Baylor telling me what to do. Like I said, time will tell how good a hire Briles truly was.

If you don't like it that I think Singletary would have been a better hire than Briles, then too damn bad. Get over it. I am entitled to my opinion.

The notion you can't win at Baylor is absurd. They did very well under Teaff. Boise State beat us for Gods Sake. Wake Forest is doing well. That perennial power house UCONN is doing well. So stop with the stupid "Baylor shouldn't be in the Big 12 stuff. They are likely going to kick our *** in the future in both men's and women's basketball as well as other sports. Just stupid comments.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/2/2008, 04:33 PM
BAYLOR BEAR SLAPFIGHT! WOOT!

columbuscreek
10/2/2008, 04:34 PM
I'm an OU grad.

Frozen Sooner
10/2/2008, 04:35 PM
You are entitled to your own opinion. You are not entitled to your own facts. You have claimed that Mike Singletary would be a better recruiter than Art Briles as a fact yet have not provided anything but your opinion to back this up.

badger
10/2/2008, 04:36 PM

Tee hee, Baylor is 2-2, so they've been upgrade from pillow fight to SLAP FIGHT.

Here comes the moderately-strong-but-still-not-incredibly-feared Pain Train! WOOT! WOOT! :D

Cheshire Bear.
10/2/2008, 04:38 PM
Blake could recruit. Mack can recruit. Recruiting doesn't equal a great coach. And how do you know that Singletary would have been a great recruiter? Briles is a great recruiter and has the track record to prove it. There is no such proof or evidence that Singletary could have done anything.

My thoughts exactly. The recruiting is already better in year 1 than it has ever been under Morriss or would be under Singletary. We took aggy's best recruit in Ivory Wade and have 4 other 3* o-linemen to join him. Coach Briles knows that it starts in the trenches and is already getting it done. Not to mention that Tyrik Rollison, the 2nd best dual threat QB in the country, has us and Okie Lite at the top of his list. Players want to play for CAB and that's shown on the field and in recruiting.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/2/2008, 04:39 PM
Kevin Steele >Briles and Singletary

badger
10/2/2008, 04:41 PM
This is so cute... SoonerFans.com now has more than one representative of Baylor :)

:( but where will all my stereotypes associated with sic'em go? :(

OU86
10/2/2008, 04:42 PM
I'm an OU grad.

Are you suuuurrrreee you're not a Baylor penguin? You look a little like a Baylor penguin. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen you together with a penguin. I don't think this is a coincidence.

badger
10/2/2008, 04:43 PM
Penguins are the new trolls. They finally unthawed and are now ready to for full-out n00b baiting.

SicEmBaylor
10/2/2008, 04:43 PM
Consider me skeptical about any coach who goes to Baylor. They could have hired Nick Saban and Baylor wouldn't get above 4th place in the Big 12 South.

Baylor just doesn't have the fan support or resources to compete in football on a regular basis in the Big 12. Floyd Casey stadium is better known as (insert visitor team stadium) (insert compass heading of Floyd Casey to visitor team stadium). Until Baylor fans outnumber Longhorn or Aggie fans in their own stadium, not much will change.

So, a football team's success is directly proportional to its fan support? :confused:

I think fan support is an indicator of success but not a determining factor. I think fan support has very little to do with the amount of success we have.

SicEmBaylor
10/2/2008, 04:44 PM
Kevin Steele >Briles and Singletary

I ought to neg you for that.

tommieharris91
10/2/2008, 04:46 PM

The quotes you needed would be: I request that you stop posting in this thread now.

OR

**** off dip ****

Cheshire Bear.
10/2/2008, 04:47 PM

Baylor fans outnumber Longhorn fans and aggy fans every year. Not sure where you're getting that info from. We've had season tickets for as long as I can remember and I've never once seen more aggy fans or Longhorn fans than Baylor fans. Again with the falsities spewed as fact. Can't help but shake my head at that one. Obviously we have the worst attendance in the Big 12, but I promise you there's never been more Longhorn fans or aggy fans than Baylor fans. Our problem is getting the townies to come out and support the team. When we energize Joe Waco, people will come.

tommieharris91
10/2/2008, 04:56 PM
Baylor fans outnumber Longhorn fans and aggy fans every year. Not sure where you're getting that info from. We've had season tickets for as long as I can remember and I've never once seen more aggy fans or Longhorn fans than Baylor fans. Again with the falsities spewed as fact. Can't help but shake my head at that one. Obviously we have the worst attendance in the Big 12, but I promise you there's never been more Longhorn fans or aggy fans than Baylor fans. Our problem is getting the townies to come out and support the team. When we energize Joe Waco, people will come.

Actually, I think you guys are now 3rd from last (at least when it comes to precentage of stadium filled). The teams under you guys are okie state and Iowa State.

OU86
10/2/2008, 04:56 PM
When we energize Joe Waco

Man I don't EVEN want to think about that too hard. Kind of reminds me of those cartoon twins that would "Activate." The mind reels.

SicEmBaylor
10/2/2008, 05:00 PM

It's a myth to be sure, but I think the Aggies have successfully propagated the myth that they ALWAHYS out number us at Waco. I've had 1k arguments with some of them over this, and in my years at Baylor (even during the Steele era) we NEVER had more Aggies than Baylor fans....ever.

Cheshire Bear.
10/2/2008, 05:00 PM
Actually, I think you guys are now 3rd from last (at least when it comes to precentage of stadium filled). The teams under you guys are okie state and Iowa State.

Haha I don't think so. I saw a post somewhere that said we only fill about 61% of the stadium on average. I think that's good enough for dead last haha. As much as I'd love to see it change, I know that BU fans are for the most part fairweather fans who won't show up unless we're winning. I think Coach Briles is the one to bring us back though.

OU86
10/2/2008, 05:04 PM
It's a myth to be sure, but I think the Aggies have successfully propagated the myth that they ALWAHYS out number us at Waco. I've had 1k arguments with some of them over this, and in my years at Baylor (even during the Steele era) we NEVER had more Aggies than Baylor fans....ever.

No sir, you are wrong. Aggy fans devotion and loyalty are such that they always outnumber opposing fans, even on the road.

And they never leave early.

And they never boo their team.

And they don't sleep with blankies.

TexasLidig8r
10/2/2008, 05:39 PM
Get em Baylor!!!!

Jump on them like a spider monkey!

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m306/BearMeat1845/bearlove.jpg

Cam
10/2/2008, 08:07 PM
Idiots.

That is exactly what they would've been if they would have hired Singletary.

birddog
10/2/2008, 08:52 PM
That is exactly what they would've been if they would have hired Singletary.

see boo blake.

Leroy Lizard
10/2/2008, 10:58 PM
If you don't like it that I think Singletary would have been a better hire than Briles, then too damn bad. Get over it. I am entitled to my opinion.

You are entitled to your wrong opinion.

The myth that Singletary would be an awesome recruiter is based on mainly two reasons: (1) he's Black, (2) he's a former NFL star.

Neither one of them is going to help him recruit much. Kids don't go to school just to play for Black coaches. And Singletary's NFL career ended 26 years ago, well before these kids were born. They may have heard of him; I doubt they ever saw him play.

Not getting hired by Baylor is the best thing that ever happened to both Singletary and Baylor. Within a few years, the fan base would be hugely disappointed in him and he would develop bitter feelings towards his alma mater. Then a man who the fans once loved would be the source of countless ridicule. At some point, the Piper Cub and the U-haul would make their appearance. (Well, maybe not at Baylor.)

We experienced it with Blake and Gibbs. Both were good players for OU and well liked... until they head coached. Now many fans would like to forget both. Consider that Gary Gibbs' resume for being a head coach was far stronger than Singletary's, but look what happened.

SicEmBaylor
10/2/2008, 11:03 PM
At some point, the Piper Cub and the U-haul would make their appearance. (Well, maybe not at Baylor.)

You better believe it would happen at Baylor. When Steele was Coach, a bunch of alumni got together and paid for a plane to fly over the stadium at every home game with a banner that said "FIRE STEELE AND STANTON!" Stanton was the AD.

It's something to be at a football game and see a giant flying banner around the stadium encouraging the sacking of your coach.

Leroy Lizard
10/2/2008, 11:21 PM
Yeah, we kinda know about that one.

Frozen Sooner
10/3/2008, 12:46 AM
Waitaminute.

Didn't Singletary play in the 1985 Super Bowl? I thought I could have sworn I rememberd that. That was only 23 years ago.

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/3/2008, 06:17 AM
I wanna know what Baylor Penguin thinks about this?

badger
10/3/2008, 09:22 AM
Waitaminute.

Didn't Singletary play in the 1985 Super Bowl? I thought I could have sworn I rememberd that. That was only 23 years ago.

They didn't get "Super Bowl Shuffle" from nowhere, I guess :)

S008NER
10/3/2008, 11:23 AM
I was never impressed with Art Briles. I am also not sure why Baylor fans are acting like he has saved that program. They are 2-2 with wins coming against Washington State and a D-2 team. What Briles did at Houston was not all that impressive when you look at the level of competition that they played and looking at his record 3-8 vs BCS schools and two of those wins were against miss state. He had a reputation at Houston of losing big games, poor defense and special teams.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/3/2008, 11:31 AM
since dante jones was like a 5th year pro before he replaced singletary i don't think his career actually ended until 1990 or so...

Scott D
10/3/2008, 12:20 PM
You're a smart guy (obviously since you're a Baylor man) you should hang around here more! We need more Baylor blood in these parts -- Chuck Bao and I are pretty much it as far as I know.

this post made me laugh.

Scott D
10/3/2008, 12:23 PM

If it wasn't for Mike Leach, then the game of Arena Football would be dead within 3 years.

bearfan08
10/3/2008, 04:26 PM
If it wasn't for Mike Leach, then the game of Arena Football would be dead within 3 years.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Leroy Lizard
10/3/2008, 11:23 PM
Baylor just doesn't have the fan support or resources to compete in football on a regular basis in the Big 12. Floyd Casey stadium is better known as (insert visitor team stadium) (insert compass heading of Floyd Casey to visitor team stadium).

Miami?

columbuscreek
10/4/2008, 01:46 PM
Still say they should have hired Singletary. They need to recruit better. No way Briles will be able to recruit like Singletary could have.

royalfan5
10/4/2008, 02:00 PM
Still say they should have hired Singletary. They need to recruit better. No way Briles will be able to recruit like Singletary could have.

Why are you so certain that a guy who has never recruited would automatically out recruit a guy who has extensive connections in the leading state for producing high school talent? Baylor's recruiting has already improved under Briles, and transforming a program isn't an overnight process.

Cam
10/4/2008, 02:39 PM
Why are you so certain that a guy who has never recruited would automatically out recruit a guy who has extensive connections in the leading state for producing high school talent? Baylor's recruiting has already improved under Briles, and transforming a program isn't an overnight process.

I was thinking the same thing. There's zero evidence that Singletary can recruit.

Curly Bill
10/4/2008, 03:11 PM

Briles is a legend in the high school coaching ranks in Texas, he'll be able to recruit much better then Singletary could have. Few high school kids today have a clue who Mike Singletary even is.

bluedogok
10/4/2008, 03:28 PM
I was never impressed with Art Briles. I am also not sure why Baylor fans are acting like he has saved that program. They are 2-2 with wins coming against Washington State and a D-2 team. What Briles did at Houston was not all that impressive when you look at the level of competition that they played and looking at his record 3-8 vs BCS schools and two of those wins were against miss state. He had a reputation at Houston of losing big games, poor defense and special teams.
Briles did a very good job at Houston considering just how irrelevant they were in college football. Houston has always been a minor program except for a few success bubbles with Bullard and Pardee. To be 3-8 against BCS conference schools is a good job there. I think Briles might have been better off waiting for a better job but I feel that he can make Baylor into a competitive team on the level of an OSU, right now it looks like they're already better than aTm.

Briles was a much better choice than Singleterry would have been. Singleterry may have been the alumni choice but as most have found out hiring a guy because he went to school there isn't always the best thing..usually it is a mistake.

columbuscreek
10/4/2008, 08:45 PM
Yeah right, no one in say Ohio, or Chicagoland, or Florida, or California has a clue who Mike Singletary is but they all know Art Briles and how he coached some high school team to the state title in Texas. Do you bufoons even listen to yourselves???

And of course that young mans parents have never ever heard of Mike Singletary. I cannot believe the stupidity of some people. Oh by the way, Vandy beat Auburn tonight and is undefeated in their division in the SEC. Oh yeah, that's right Vandy should be kicked out of the SEC just like Baylor should be kicked out of the Big 12.

Curly Bill
10/4/2008, 11:03 PM
Yeah right, no one in say Ohio, or Chicagoland, or Florida, or California has a clue who Mike Singletary is but they all know Art Briles and how he coached some high school team to the state title in Texas. Do you bufoons even listen to yourselves???

And of course that young mans parents have never ever heard of Mike Singletary. I cannot believe the stupidity of some people. Oh by the way, Vandy beat Auburn tonight and is undefeated in their division in the SEC. Oh yeah, that's right Vandy should be kicked out of the SEC just like Baylor should be kicked out of the Big 12.

Baylor's not going to pull any decent recruits from those states and I don't care who the coach is.

Curly Bill
10/4/2008, 11:10 PM

...and if you're going to call us bad names at least be smart enough to spell it correctly. :P

columbuscreek
10/5/2008, 12:12 AM
Yeah, kind of like Nebraska can't pull any recruits from CA, NJ, FL right? Oh, sorry they do. Think about that. They pull in kids from all over the country to Lincoln, Nebraska for god's sake.

But hey let me tell you kids around the country sure the hell know who Art Briles is!!!! :rolleyes: Yessiree Bob, when a coach from Waco, TX walks into Mater Dei, in LA and say's, "I'm a Baylor coach Art Briles!" The kids say, "wow Art Briles (you know the coach that took Stephenville, TX to the state tourney) is here!! Woo hoo!!" Yeah, makes complete sense to me.

Just like David Gettis from LA came to Waco for Guy Morriss. I'm pretty damn sure Gettis came to Waco for Clyde Hart, not Guy Morriss.

Baylor's not going to pull any decent recruits from those states and I don't care who the coach is.

Curly Bill
10/5/2008, 12:14 AM
Yeah, kind of like Nebraska can't pull any recruits from CA, NJ, FL right? Oh, sorry they do. Think about that. They pull in kids from all over the country to Lincoln, Nebraska for god's sake.

But hey let me tell you kids around the country sure the hell know who Art Briles is!!!! :rolleyes: Yessiree Bob, when a coach from Waco, TX walks into Mater Dei, in LA and say's, "I'm a Baylor coach Art Briles!" The kids say, "wow Art Briles (you know the coach that took Stephenville, TX to the state tourney) is here!! Woo hoo!!" Yeah, makes complete sense to me.

You're equating Baylor football to Nebraska? That's rich, that's really rich.

:rolleyes:

RiddlerOK
10/5/2008, 12:16 AM
I believe the correct title of this thread should read:

:mad: "Why is Baylor in the Big XII conference?" :mad:

Please don't bother dredging up the gratuitous Ann Richards soliloquy delivered at the time of conference formation .......

Please don't expound on the need for more competitive balance top to bottom in the conference.............

Please don't remind us of the novelty whereby a solitary private school exists in a conference loaded with public state-run institutions, guaranteeing them a kindred comparison to the athletically woeful academic kingpins in Palo Alto, Evanston, Durham and Nashville.................

Please don't dredge up any other countless excuses that provide Jim Traber fodder for the afternoon sports beat on a slow day at WWLS.........

Lastly, please don't make the argument that they deserve membership based upon a single national championship in women's basketball. I ain't buying it......

That is all.........

Curly Bill
10/5/2008, 12:18 AM
I believe the correct title of this thread should read:

:mad: "Why is Baylor in the Big XII conference?" :mad:

Please don't bother dredging up the gratuitous Ann Richards soliloquy delivered at the time of conference formation .......

Please don't expound on the need for more competitive balance top to bottom in the conference.............

Please don't remind us of the novelty whereby a solitary private school exists in a conference loaded with public state-run institutions, guaranteeing them a kindred comparison to the athletically woeful academic kingpins in Palo Alto, Evanston, Durham and Nashville.................

Please don't dredge up any other countless excuses that provide Jim Traber fodder for the afternoon sports beat on a slow day at WWLS.........

Lastly, please don't make the argument that they deserve membership based upon a single national championship in women's basketball. I ain't buying it......

That is all.........

They could have changed all that for their betterment just by hiring Mike Singletary. :D LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

tommieharris91
10/5/2008, 12:51 AM

Actually, the only thing Stanford isn't good at is football. That doesn't mean the other schools mentioned suck...

Actually, Duke is the team everyone that cares about basketball hates, Northwestern actually won their conference in football within the past 10 years and actually makes a bowl game every now and then, and Vandy is ranked. So really, this comparison doesn't hold much water. Those are all much, much better all-around academic schools than Baylor, too.

Curly Bill
10/5/2008, 12:53 AM
Actually, the only thing Stanford isn't good at is football. That doesn't mean the other schools mentioned suck...

Actually, Duke is the team everyone that cares about basketball hates, Northwestern actually won their conference in football within the past 10 years and actually makes a bowl game every now and then, and Vandy is ranked. So really, this comparison doesn't hold much water. Those are all much, much better all-around academic schools than Baylor, too.

This too could have been fixed with the hiring of Mike Singletary. :rolleyes:

tommieharris91
10/5/2008, 12:57 AM
This too could have been fixed with the hiring of Mike Singletary. :rolleyes:

Singletary should replace Venables. We woulda scored 70 on Baylor with him. He'd make the band sound better too.

Curly Bill
10/5/2008, 12:58 AM
Singletary should replace Venables. We woulda scored 70 on Baylor with him. He'd make the band sound better too.

...and held them to minus points! :D

Leroy Lizard
10/5/2008, 01:10 AM

High school football players in Texas probably know who Art Briles is, and Texas is going to be Baylor's prime recruiting ground.

And of course that young mans parents have never ever heard of Mike Singletary.

I am sure that they have. And I hope the parents are damn good football players.

But hey let me tell you kids around the country sure the hell know who Art Briles is!!!! Yessiree Bob, when a coach from Waco, TX walks into Mater Dei, in LA and say's, "I'm a Baylor coach Art Briles!" The kids say, "wow Art Briles (you know the coach that took Stephenville, TX to the state tourney) is here!! Woo hoo!!" Yeah, makes complete sense to me.

And they are going to have the same reaction to the name Mike Singletary.

You are probably a lot older than the typical senior high school football player. To you, Mike Singletary is probably a hero. If you are a Baylor fan, even much more so.

But these kids did not grow up Baylor fans. How old were they when Mike last played in the NFL? (Were they even born yet?)

What chances are there that they have ever seen him play?

To them, Mike is not a hero. He's just a name. They have probably heard of him. That's about it.

Even if they have heard of him and admire his football career, that doesn't mean they are going to play for him. One or two might. But recruiting is only part of what it takes to be a college coach, and nothing indicates that Singletary is up to the task. So far, he is a defensive position coach on a team not noted for its defense (ranked 22nd in the NFL).

Even Boo Blake had better credentials than that -- Dallas' defense was top-notch when Blake coached for them.

So you really want Singletary? Do you want us to ship you our unused Twister mats?

Scott D
10/5/2008, 09:02 AM

Singletary needs to be more than a position coach/assistant head coach to be considered a valid candidate for a head coaching gig, pro or college. You can come back to your argument which is pretty much invalid until he's held a defensive coordinator position somewhere.

bluedogok
10/5/2008, 11:52 AM
Texas is really the only school in the state that recruits nationally, Tech and A&M are the only other ones that compete nationally for recruits, most of the other schools only recruit Texas or the region. There are more than enough players here for them to have good, competitive teams. A Baylor (or SMU, TCU, Houston, etc.) are not going to go head-to-head against Texas, OU, tOSU, Florida, etc. for a QB prospect out of Ohio or even Texas, they are going to go for a kid that is a notch below that they can get. There is no way McCoy would have chosen Baylor over Texas or Bomar over OU, even Booger over Mizzou if Mike Singletary was the coach there. If teams like Baylor try to go head-to-head against the top programs in recruiting, they are fighting a losing battle, they know their place and have to find those kids that fall through the cracks much like Bill Snyder did at K-State. Kids that didn't have the "measurables" that the big schools look at like a Wes Welker who go on to be great players. There are plenty of those kids out there since the big programs can't stockpile players like they did in the 70's.

Looking at Singletary as the "Messiah" of Baylor football is just ridiculous.

columbuscreek
10/5/2008, 05:52 PM
Yeah kind of like how the Baylor men's and women's basketball team can't recruit nationally? Like how Baylor has an excellent chance to land the #1 recruits in both men's and women's basketball next year? Oh ok, glad to know Baylor can't recruit nationally. Thanks for letting me know.

I stand by my statement that Briles is a good coach, not great. Time will reveal who knows what they are talking about.

royalfan5
10/5/2008, 06:13 PM
Yeah kind of like how the Baylor men's and women's basketball team can't recruit nationally? Like how Baylor has an excellent chance to land the #1 recruits in both men's and women's basketball next year? Oh ok, glad to know Baylor can't recruit nationally. Thanks for letting me know.

I stand by my statement that Briles is a good coach, not great. Time will reveal who knows what they are talking about.

Basketball and football don't have a lot of correlation when discussing recruiting. Why would players from Ohio, Florida, and California throw themselves at Singeltary to play for him?

Cam
10/5/2008, 07:33 PM
Check out the Baylor roster (http://baylor.rivals.com/croster.asp), that will tell you how important having the Texas HS connection is for them.

Curly Bill
10/5/2008, 09:19 PM
Check out the Baylor roster (http://baylor.rivals.com/croster.asp), that will tell you how important having the Texas HS connection is for them.

Everyone but one person in this thread understands that. I'm sure all the rest of us are wrong though. ;)

bluedogok
10/5/2008, 09:31 PM
Everyone but one person in this thread understands that. I'm sure all the rest of us are wrong though. ;)
Yep, check the roster of ANY Texas college, public or private and for the most part there will be 95% from Texas. Check the rosters of most of the adjoining states and they will more than likely be a large number on those teams as well.

Curly Bill
10/5/2008, 09:34 PM
Yep, check the roster of ANY Texas college, public or private and for the most part there will be 95% from Texas. Check the rosters of most of the adjoining states and they will more than likely be a large number on those teams as well.

..but if Singletary was coach at BU he'd be pulling studs outta LA, Chigago, Florida, Ohio, etc, etc... he'd have his pick of the litter I tell ya. ;)

EstablishedSooner1967
10/5/2008, 09:59 PM
HE IS A BETTER COACH AND A PROVEN COACH... AND SINGELTARY HAS DONE NOTHING SINCE 85

columbuscreek
10/5/2008, 11:25 PM
Clueless

HE IS A BETTER COACH AND A PROVEN COACH... AND SINGELTARY HAS DONE NOTHING SINCE 85

columbuscreek
10/5/2008, 11:28 PM
I know that but before Drew and Mulkey came to Baylor you would be yelling, "yeah right sure players from New York, CA, NC are gonna go play basketball at Baylor, suuurrreeeee!" Don't deny it, that's exactly what you all would have said.

Basketball and football don't have a lot of correlation when discussing recruiting. Why would players from Ohio, Florida, and California throw themselves at Singeltary to play for him?

tommieharris91
10/6/2008, 12:31 AM
Dude, just stop.

royalfan5
10/6/2008, 08:16 AM
I know that but before Drew and Mulkey came to Baylor you would be yelling, "yeah right sure players from New York, CA, NC are gonna go play basketball at Baylor, suuurrreeeee!" Don't deny it, that's exactly what you all would have said.
No, I wouldn't have because I understand the difference between basketball and football recruiting. You don't. You also don't seem to understand that you have not provided a real argument as to why Singletary would be a magic recruiter.

Scott D
10/6/2008, 11:59 AM

the relevance of basketball recruiting in comparison to football recruiting is absolutely none. Your position gets weaker the more you type, you really should heed the advice of other posters and just leave your mancrush for Mike Singletary alone in this subject.

columbuscreek
10/6/2008, 04:00 PM
And you haven't proved Art Briles will make Baylor better than a .500 team, if they are lucky. Yeah, I already know he took Stephenville TX high school to some state titles, big whoop. Consider me impressed..............

No, I wouldn't have because I understand the difference between basketball and football recruiting. You don't. You also don't seem to understand that you have not provided a real argument as to why Singletary would be a magic recruiter.

royalfan5
10/6/2008, 04:18 PM
And you haven't proved Art Briles will make Baylor better than a .500 team, if they are lucky. Yeah, I already know he took Stephenville TX high school to some state titles, big whoop. Consider me impressed..............

So you don't have an argument for Singletary after all. Briles is well connected to Texas High School football. It is critical for recruiting for the high school coaches in your recruiting base to trust you. Baylor has to recruit Texas well to succeed, and Briles has the contacts to do that well. Singletary doesn't. He also doesn't have a recruiting network established anywhere else. Briles has won at the D-1 level with limited resources, and has proven he can maximize talent. Singletary has been a position coach on mediocre NFL teams. If you where a high school football coach, would you advise your players to got play for guy who is a known quantity and that you respect, or Mike Singletary?

SicEmBaylor
10/6/2008, 05:20 PM
CCreek reminds me of the Singletary crowd at Baylor. If he didn't swear to being an OU fan, then I would swear he's one of our Singletarians.

Let me say this, those who promoted his hiring did themselves a LOT of damage in the eyes of the larger Baylor community. They did a lot of underhanded things to undermine Guy Morriss in an effort to get him fired and Singletary hired. I'm certainly not saying we shouldn't have fired Morriss or that he didn't deserve it, but we had a significant portion of our fanbase doing everything to make sure he failed. In my eyes, that is unconsciable.

Leroy Lizard
10/6/2008, 05:32 PM

Some fans simply don't understand all that is involved in recruiting. Just to visit ONE prep star in California would involve a three hour flight, a hotel room for at least one night, and the return trip. That is why you have assistant coaches.

To bring a potential recruit to campus from out-of-state is expensive, especially to a private institution like Baylor. If Singletary really has the star quality you suggest (ha!), then Baylor would get flooded with requests for visits from prep stars who only want to meet him and have no interest in moving 1500 miles to play for him for 4 years. How much is Baylor going to pay for this false interest?

It would be stupid and inefficient for Baylor to recruit out-of-state anyway. Nebraska does because it has to. Just consider how difficult it is to recruit an 18-year old kid in LA. You are looking at sending an assistant coach on the road for at least two days and maybe three. Since you have 20+ slots to fill, the number of days your coaches would spend on the road in the HOPE of landing a few athletes is huge. And why would you do that if you are already located in a land of high school football stars. It makes no sense at all.

Oh wait, I forgot that Mike Singletary alone would be responsible for bringing these kids in because he is the *ex-football star.* :)

stoops the eternal pimp
10/6/2008, 05:39 PM
CCreek reminds me of the Singletary crowd at Baylor. If he didn't swear to being an OU fan, then I would swear he's one of our Singletarians.

Let me say this, those who promoted his hiring did themselves a LOT of damage in the eyes of the larger Baylor community. They did a lot of underhanded things to undermine Guy Morriss in an effort to get him fired and Singletary hired. I'm certainly not saying we shouldn't have fired Morriss or that he didn't deserve it, but we had a significant portion of our fanbase doing everything to make sure he failed. In my eyes, that is unconsciable.

Reminds me of the dude that was obsessed with TRRW and his horse collar tackling a while back...dude could not get over it

Curly Bill
10/6/2008, 07:05 PM
And you haven't proved Art Briles will make Baylor better than a .500 team, if they are lucky.

He does have a point here. Is there a coach alive who could make Baylor better then a .500 team? :D

Frozen Sooner
10/6/2008, 07:17 PM
He does have a point here. Is there a coach alive who could make Baylor better then a .500 team? :D

Obviously Jim Drukenmiller could. He played in the NFL once.

Curly Bill
10/6/2008, 07:20 PM
Obviously Jim Drukenmiller could. He played in the NFL once.

Got that NFL street cred. He'd be pulling recruits from all over the country. :D