PDA

View Full Version : Gerald McCoy: Honored for His Good Works

SoonerShark
10/1/2008, 01:41 PM
http://newsok.com/ous-gerald-mccoy-honored-for-works/article/3305696/?tm=1222881104

For the third straight year, an OU player has been honored for his good works.

Oklahoma defensive tackle Gerald McCoy has been named to the Allstate AFCA Good Works Team. Jacob Gutierrez was on the team in 2006 and Nic Harris received the honor in 2007.

"We're proud of the players who have represented us on the Good Works Team, and certainly Gerald is extremely deserving," said OU coach Bob Stoops. "The fact that he was voted a captain as a sophomore speaks to the respect Gerald has earned in our program. Others have noticed Gerald selfless actions and integrity, and we are pleased that he also is receiving that recognition on the national level."

McCoy is currently serving as President of OU’s Fellowship of Christian Athletes chapter. He also has worked on a home building project with the ABC show Extreme Makeover in Lawton, a project that re-built a home for a Ft. Sill soldier, who had been injured in Iraq, and his family after a series of misfortunes left the family facing unexpected challenges and mobility issues for the father and a young son.

CK Sooner
10/1/2008, 02:01 PM
Good article.

boomermagic
10/1/2008, 02:15 PM
http://newsok.com/ous-gerald-mccoy-honored-for-works/article/3305696/?tm=1222881104

For the third straight year, an OU player has been honored for his good works.

Oklahoma defensive tackle Gerald McCoy has been named to the Allstate AFCA Good Works Team. Jacob Gutierrez was on the team in 2006 and Nic Harris received the honor in 2007.

"We're proud of the players who have represented us on the Good Works Team, and certainly Gerald is extremely deserving," said OU coach Bob Stoops. "The fact that he was voted a captain as a sophomore speaks to the respect Gerald has earned in our program. Others have noticed Gerald selfless actions and integrity, and we are pleased that he also is receiving that recognition on the national level."

McCoy is currently serving as President of OU’s Fellowship of Christian Athletes chapter. He also has worked on a home building project with the ABC show Extreme Makeover in Lawton, a project that re-built a home for a Ft. Sill soldier, who had been injured in Iraq, and his family after a series of misfortunes left the family facing unexpected challenges and mobility issues for the father and a young son.

I am proud of Mr. McCoy He is a fine young man and a great football player.. We need more like him..

SoonerShark
10/1/2008, 02:32 PM
It is great that we have two sophomores who are respected enough to be voted captains.

SoonersEnFuego
10/1/2008, 02:38 PM
Best McCoy in the conference!

IowaSooner26
10/1/2008, 03:13 PM
Best McCoy in the conference!

:texan: BUT HE SWAM ACROSS A LAKE! /:texan:

Congrats to Gerald!

SoonerKnight
10/1/2008, 07:21 PM
That is awesome!

Boomer.....
10/2/2008, 07:28 AM
Great! It is so nice to see players make the news for good reasons. I wish the media would focus more on these types of good deeds instead of all of the bad.

sooner94
10/2/2008, 10:24 AM
I really like this guy. Reminds me of Tommie Harris with the quickness and motor. And a great person off the field.

At first I thought you had a typo in your thread title. :D

Thanks for posting.