PDA

View Full Version : Palin v. Biden: Thursday Night Steel Caged Match

lexsooner
9/30/2008, 07:14 PM
Any predictions? I think with the highly structured format, nothing will come of this debate, just prepared lines. It will be the annoying blabber-mouth Biden vs. the somewhat inept newcomer Palin. Palin has been practicing according to the news and not doing very well, so she is being worked over by McCain's people. Biden would do well to say as little as possible. It will have little to no bearing on the election, but might be interesting. If not, I might just start drinking various brands of Bourbon like on Friday night during Obama v. McCain. I just picked up some Knob Creek to sample. Blanton's is still my favorite.

olevetonahill
9/30/2008, 07:16 PM
OVJ all the way :D

KC//CRIMSON
9/30/2008, 07:28 PM
Biden by Kimora, early second round.

OU-HSV
9/30/2008, 07:29 PM
I predict that SNL rakes Palin over the coals Sat. night once again....I just hope they can bring themselves to rag on Biden and Obama some as well

soonerhubs
9/30/2008, 07:50 PM
I predict I will be even more angry as I have to watch this crap when there could be an episode of The Office I'm missing.

AggieTool
9/30/2008, 08:28 PM
I wonder if we could get 'em both greased up and in thongs for this.:D

Rogue
9/30/2008, 08:32 PM
Yeah, I think the heavily structured scenario favors both of these loose cannons. I continue to be dismayed with both of the VP running mate choices.

Rogue
9/30/2008, 08:33 PM
Like a foot-in-mouth contest.

colleyvillesooner
9/30/2008, 08:48 PM
I predict I will be even more angry as I have to watch this crap when there could be an episode of The Office I'm missing.

ditto.

Viking Kitten
9/30/2008, 09:59 PM
So who all has heard the Internet rumor about Palin not being able to name one single Supreme Court decision other than Roe v. Wade? Supposedly there is an unaired part of the interview with Katie C. where she was asked to name any other landmark decision and SP just sits there with a blank look on her face.

I'm having a little trouble buying it, mainly because I think the video would have been leaked by now. But if it were true and she shouldn't even come up with Brown v. Board of Education, I think I'd want to kick her in the stomach.

The Maestro
9/30/2008, 10:05 PM
So who all has heard the Internet rumor about Palin not being able to name one single Supreme Court decision other than Roe v. Wade? Supposedly there is an unaired part of the interview with Katie C. where she was asked to name any other landmark decision and SP just sits there with a blank look on her face.

I'm having a little trouble buying it, mainly because I think the video would have been leaked by now. But if it were true and she shouldn't even come up with Brown v. Board of Education, I think I'd want to kick her in the stomach.

Ummmm....hello? Can YOU see Russia from your back porch?

sooneron
9/30/2008, 10:08 PM

No, but I have a lot of russians on my morning train, that qualifies me more than SP in that regard.

Viking Kitten
9/30/2008, 10:08 PM
Good point. I should kick her in the throat so maybe she'll stop saying stupid sh*t for a while.

Hot Rod
10/1/2008, 07:37 AM
I think they should get another moderator.

The moderator of Thursday's vice-presidential debate is writing a book to come out about the time the next president takes the oath of office that aims to "shed new light" on Democratic candidate Barack Obama and other "emerging young African American politicians" who are "forging a bold new path to political power."

Gwen Ifill of the Public Broadcasting Service program "Washington Week" is promoting "The Breakthrough," in which she argues the "black political structure" of the civil rights movement is giving way to men and women who have benefited from the struggles over racial equality.

Ifill declined to return a WND telephone message asking for a comment about her book project and whether its success would be expected should Obama lose. But she has faced criticism previously for not treating candidates of both major parties the same.

SoonerProphet
10/1/2008, 07:52 AM
McCulloch v. Maryland

swardboy
10/1/2008, 08:25 AM
All I know is she bitch-slapped the incumbent in Alaska, and Biden is an ***-clown....

Veritas
10/1/2008, 09:16 AM
I think they should get another moderator.
WND (WorldNetDaily) isn't exactly an objective news source. The book is about black politicians in the post-racial era, and I don't think anyone could write anything about black politicians without mentioning Barack Obama.

TexasLidig8r
10/1/2008, 09:23 AM
Sweet Blue Jesus on a bicycle.. how in the world did the Elephants agree to that assclown of a moderator???

By the way.. Knob Creek.. pretty good... a few cubes of ice.... a good cigar...

arenateam
10/1/2008, 09:50 AM
I think McCain's handlers have her to nervous.

Howzit
10/1/2008, 09:52 AM

Big woo, has Biden killed a moose and eaten the heart raw?

I bet not.

dolemitesooner
10/1/2008, 10:29 AM
Have you ever heard of Doleo vs Marget Hemmingway

It happen

Echoes
10/1/2008, 12:10 PM
It will be stupid. Way to structured, for sure. It could get very interesting, if it was random audience or youtube questions. I absolutely loved the Youtube debates. Would be worth the laughs to watch it if it was audience/youtube questions.

JohnnyMack
10/1/2008, 03:24 PM

That'll be on tonight. yay. :pop:

VeeJay
10/1/2008, 08:56 PM
Dennis Miller said earlier that Palin should mace Biden, claiming he pinched her under the table. Then, she should pull out a copy of Gwen Ifill's book and ask her to autograph it.

I'd like to see a fistfight or some kind of natural disaster befall the place. Maybe some wild animals escaped from a local zoo storm the stage. Just some wacky sh*t to make this freekin' sideshow a little more tolerable.

Veritas
10/1/2008, 09:02 PM
That'll be on tonight. yay. :pop:
I watched it. Palin struggled to concoct an answer and basically talked for a minute without saying anything.

JohnnyMack
10/1/2008, 09:09 PM
I watched it. Palin struggled to concoct an answer and basically talked for a minute without saying anything.

She sounds like she could be Bush's Press Secretary.

def_lazer_fc
10/2/2008, 12:53 AM
I think McCain's handlers have her to nervous.

no, im pretty sure it's Sarah Palin who is making Sarah Palin look like an idiot.

and **** this "gotcha journalism" b.s. people applying for 10-12$/hr jobs have to survive more scrutiny than this. guaranteed.

LosAngelesSooner
10/2/2008, 02:32 AM
no, im pretty sure it's Sarah Palin who is making Sarah Palin look like an idiot.

and **** this "gotcha journalism" b.s. people applying for 10-12$/hr jobs have to survive more scrutiny than this. guaranteed.Couric asked the same question to Biden and he was able to name another Supreme Court case that he disagreed with.

Of course...Palin has more "executive experience" than anyone ever on the face of the planet. :rolleyes:

I watched it. Palin struggled to concoct an answer and basically talked for a minute without saying anything.That's kinda becoming her M.O.

(I love the whole "become even more adorable" quote from the SNL skit)

JohnnyMack
10/2/2008, 10:12 AM
jBt0r9Exv2I

Frozen Sooner
10/2/2008, 10:20 AM

Which is amazing, since she stridently criticized a Supreme Court decision this very summer.

tommieharris91
10/2/2008, 10:53 AM
Meh, I think Biden should just shut his mouth and give Palin just enough rope to hang herself. She'll just give more beauty pageant answers tonight.

Scott D
10/2/2008, 10:58 AM
Any predictions? I think with the highly structured format, nothing will come of this debate, just prepared lines. It will be the annoying blabber-mouth Biden vs. the somewhat inept newcomer Palin. Palin has been practicing according to the news and not doing very well, so she is being worked over by McCain's people. Biden would do well to say as little as possible. It will have little to no bearing on the election, but might be interesting. If not, I might just start drinking various brands of Bourbon like on Friday night during Obama v. McCain. I just picked up some Knob Creek to sample. Blanton's is still my favorite.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r163/sargmon/cripple_sm.jpg

Scott D
10/2/2008, 11:00 AM

no but I can run into Russians on my stairway on a daily basis...can SHE say that? :)

Ike
10/2/2008, 01:09 PM
I think they should get rid of the moderator. And while they are at it, the format too.

In fact, why not get Alex Trebek to host, er, moderate a game of political jeapordy. It would be way more entertaining. And probably more informative.

I'll take foreign policy for $100 Alex.

Echoes
10/2/2008, 01:09 PM
Meh, I think Biden should just shut his mouth and give Palin just enough rope to hang herself. She'll just give more beauty pageant answers tonight.

Such a good point.

mdklatt
10/2/2008, 01:26 PM
In fact, why not get Alex Trebek to host, er, moderate a game of political jeapordy. It would be way more entertaining. And probably more informative.

I'll take foreign policy for $100 Alex.

Surely SNL could get Will Ferrel to come back for an episode....

Fugue
10/2/2008, 01:34 PM
then I'm voting for this guy.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/mattsplorin/OTHER/SNL.jpg

JohnnyMack
10/2/2008, 01:50 PM
Suck it, Trebek!

Frozen Sooner
10/2/2008, 02:03 PM
I'll take Jap-Anus relations for $500, Alex.

KC//CRIMSON
10/2/2008, 02:15 PM
"S" Words

I'll take swords for $100, Alex.

Ike
10/2/2008, 02:25 PM
I'm sorry Senator, but you have to phrase your response in the form of a queston...

Frozen Sooner
10/2/2008, 02:53 PM
By the way, I think Palin will end up winning this debate in the eyes of public perception.

One of Palin's debate strengths is to say things that seem to answer the question while communicating "Hey, I think the same way you do" to several different viewpoints. It flummoxed Tony Knowles, and accomplished politician in his own right.

soonerscuba
10/2/2008, 04:16 PM
I would love to see debate prep with Biden.

Palin stand-in: "Gosh, see, I am qualified to deal with terrorists because I shoot bears"

Biden: (Don't laugh).

Frozen Sooner
10/2/2008, 04:25 PM
Again I'll say it: People underestimate Sarah Palin at their own risk. I'm not a fan, but she's very very good at setting people up.

JohnnyMack
10/2/2008, 04:27 PM
Again I'll say it: People underestimate Sarah Palin at their own risk. I'm not a fan, but she's very very good at setting people up.

Fair enough. If that's the case, is it too late? Has the damage been done?

Frozen Sooner
10/2/2008, 04:33 PM
I couldn't tell you. I mean, it's about as likely that I'd vote for her as a jumbo shrimp starts growing out of my left testicle anyhow, simply because I don't like many of her views, so it's very hard for me to determine what would make someone not vote for her who MIGHT vote for her.

That's one hell of a run-on sentence.

I think we're going to see a much more coherent Sarah Palin tonight than we've seen these last few weeks.

Since I'm talking about a VP debate, by the way, I want to take an opportunity to apologize for any time I may have made fun of Admiral Stockdale's perfomance. I read up a bit on the man, and he was both brilliant and a true hero. The guy was simply hardcore.

OUthunder
10/2/2008, 04:34 PM
I think I'll do some yardwork when that thing starts and then pour myself some bourbon afterward.

Neither party has the answer.

JohnnyMack
10/2/2008, 04:37 PM
I think we're going to see a much more coherent Sarah Palin tonight than we've seen these last few weeks.

The only way it could be worse is if she drinks bourbon with Thunder before the debate. Wait. That actually might help.

Girl's got a case of the yips if you ask me.

OUthunder
10/2/2008, 04:43 PM

I agree with that but nothing will help McCain at this point win POTUS. The American people would vote for Mickey Mouse if he was the Democratic nominee.

Oh wait, he is the Democratic candidate, nm.

Frozen Sooner
10/2/2008, 04:44 PM
Well, like I said: expectations are so low right now that some of the Republicans will call it a clear victory if Palin manages to keep from taking a dump on stage or something. That's a bar I think she can clear fairly convincingly.

Seriously-I think she's much more "together" than she's presenting herself at current time.

soonerscuba
10/2/2008, 04:45 PM
I think she wins tonight, namely because Biden isn't very likable or coherent to your average Joe. I don't know which is worse, not knowing a single SC decision outside of Roe v. Wade or invoking the interstate commerce clause to justify VAWA.

She has the gift of lowered expectations against a gaffe-prone blowhard, but I do think it's too little to late for a woman who doesn't believe in the morning after pill and a 6,000 year-old earth.

LosAngelesSooner
10/2/2008, 05:02 PM
Well, like I said: expectations are so low right now that some of the Republicans will call it a clear victory if Palin manages to keep from taking a dump on stage or something. That's a bar I think she can clear fairly convincingly.

Seriously-I think she's much more "together" than she's presenting herself at current time.I can agree with that. She's not to be underestimated. She's got the passive aggressive "oh, I'm just a folksy ol' gal" thing down.

But corner her with any kind of hard facts, figures or logic that isn't simple memorization? She starts the shakes and stammers and folksiness.

LosAngelesSooner
10/2/2008, 05:11 PM
I agree with that but nothing will help McCain at this point win POTUS. The American people would vote for Mickey Mouse if he was the Democratic nominee.

Oh wait, he is the Democratic candidate, nm.Dude.
*sigh*
I'm so tired of stupid crap like that.

Disagree with Obama's stances on issues (I know I do on many). Disagree with the policies he's enacted.

But don't try weak smack like, "He's a secret Muslim" or "he's got no credentials or experience." It just ruins any argument you try to make thereafter.

Obama:
Columbia University - B.A. Political Science with a Specialization in International Relations.
Harvard - Juris Doctor (J.D.) Magna Cum Laude

Biden:
University of Delaware - B.A. in History and B.A. in Political Science.
Syracuse University College of Law - Juris Doctor (J.D.)

McCain:
United States Naval Academy

Palin:
Hawaii Pacific University - 1 semester
North Idaho College - 2 semesters - general study
University of Idaho - 2 semesters - journalism
Matanuska-Susitna College - 1 semester
University of Idaho - 3 semesters - B.A. in Journalism

Out of the 4, only one has a "Mickey Mouse" resume. Guess who that is.

Frozen Sooner
10/2/2008, 05:17 PM
I think he was more referring to Obama's ears. Which kind of do stick out a bit.

PDXsooner
10/2/2008, 05:22 PM
all she needs to do is keep slipping in the word "God" and the mission of the republicans will be accomplished -- keep the religious right (i.e southern US) satisfied with her as a choice.

democrats wouldn't vote for her even if she were a harvard grad. fervent republicans will accept her regardless of her flaws. and those in the middle that can be swayed to vote either way have already been swayed by Palin's revealed ignorance over the last few weeks. i don't see this debate changing too much.

but then, who the hell really knows what little video clip will make it's way around, changing everyone's opinion on the evening before the election?

King Crimson
10/2/2008, 05:25 PM
I agree with Mike Rich that Palin will do much better than the public perception and myriad of articles about how much she will stink.

she may even revive her zealous Defenders of the True Reagan Faith fan club on this board, for a few days at least. quiet bunch, they are of late. After those halcyon, soaring days of nutsack tingling Yore.

Viking Kitten
10/2/2008, 05:28 PM
After those halcyon, soaring days of nutsack tingling Yore.

That KC certainly has a lovely turn of phrase, yes?:D

OUthunder
10/2/2008, 05:36 PM
I think he was more referring to Obama's ears. Which kind of do stick out a bit.

Sometimes one can over think the obvious. Especially when one is blinded by an R or a D.

lexsooner
10/2/2008, 05:58 PM
I'm sure both will do fine. The canned format of the debate will prevent any exchanges in which Palin will not know what to say and Biden will say too much and more. The goal of this one is for neither side to step on it. The interest in this debate is more whether Palin will sound stoopid and whether Biden will run his mouth and put his foot in it. Seriously, I don't see this debate as having any real impact on the election. Most people either love Palin or think she is about the most unqualified person to ever be part of a Presidential ticket, and the debate probably won't change these opinions.

In fact, I don't think the remaining two McCain/Obama debates will change much. Obama really profited from the first debate by "looking" and "sounding" Presidential, enough to convince some doubters. The first debate helped him more than McCain. He just needs to keep it up, and there is probably not much McCain can say during the debates to make any positive impact. Really, the Presidency probably belongs to Obama, absent any major event or gaff which changes the momentum of the race. There's only a month left, and the economy has dominated the news, which helps Obama.

Rogue
10/2/2008, 06:17 PM
Well said Lex. I disagree about McCain not being able to say (or do?) to make a positive impact. I'm pretty left compared to most posters here and I thought he was great in the first debate.

SoonerTroll
10/2/2008, 07:08 PM

Oh wait, he is the Democratic candidate, nm.

Niiiiiiiice!:pop:

lexsooner
10/2/2008, 07:22 PM
Well said Lex. I disagree about McCain not being able to say (or do?) to make a positive impact. I'm pretty left compared to most posters here and I thought he was great in the first debate.

Actually, Rogue, I totally agree McCain did quite well during the first debate. By positive impact, I meant improve his position in the Presidential race. Obama profited more because people had more questions about whether he was "Presidential," and he sure came off as in charge and in command of the issues. McCain could continue to do well in the last two debates, but I don't think it will bring a significant number of voters to his side.

I had forgotten one of the last two debates will be a town hall format. That might make it a bit more interesting. If McCain is still down in the polls, I think he will come out attacking like crazy. If he is behind in the last few weeks, I really really hope he takes the high road and does not stoop to fear-mongering, racist attacks to try and win. I have always liked him, but not as much during this campaign because he had to sell out to the right wing of the GOP to get nominated.

Lott's Bandana
10/2/2008, 07:46 PM
I think it's over.

This reminds me so much of the last weeks of the Dole campaign, a distinguished man in the waning years of a distinguished career, given his shot as a reward for all those years of loyalty and run over by the incumbent appearance of youth and a message that resonated with those that believed the "music video-like" orchestrated rhetoric.

What will likely happen is: Obama will lounge in the center while the media creates a Hollywood mystique about the man, similar to what Bill had until he gave an intern a cabinet position. The more liberal flagcarriers will become disenfranchised (normal) but remain loyal because they will feel they are stuck like Velcro to be a part of history.

Like buying low and selling high, the economic recovery that will inevitably come will be credited to the O administration, regardless of what they do.

Conservatives, like though most of the Clinton reign, will realize it isn't really that bad and focus more on every little possible scandal to regain some lost pride.

The thing an O presidency could create is, a group of young Dem stars that will define this generation. It will be interesting to see if O is man enough and comfortable enough to share the spotlight, or will he try to snuff out these emerging wonks. The Conservatives will have a hard time reinventing themselves for quite some time.

Written with minimal cynicism and with resignation. I tend to try to give someone I disagree with credit if they truly believe they are trying to do what is best for this country. I think we will get to judge for ourselves.

LosAngelesSooner
10/2/2008, 08:15 PM
I think he was more referring to Obama's ears. Which kind of do stick out a bit.Well, I can't really argue with THAT. :D

Scott D
10/3/2008, 10:14 AM
0YOh-rpvjYg