PDA

View Full Version : Which team comes out and punches OU in the mouth?

SelmaBamaFan
9/30/2008, 05:20 PM
Just wondering...

Yall have dominated every opponent this year, and eventually one team is going to come out of the gate hot. Which team do you think it will be? If I had my guess it would be aTm, since OU never really plays well at their place (or so it seems). I think they might be up early and yall come back in the second half/quarter and put them away.

CK Sooner
9/30/2008, 05:26 PM
Texas, but I still think we win.

tommieharris91
9/30/2008, 05:27 PM
Baylor.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/30/2008, 05:30 PM
Evidently you have not seen aTm play this year...

froneal
9/30/2008, 05:30 PM
I'm worried about A&M being one we will sleep on, as well as playing OSU in Stoolwater, but both games are winnable.

Ardmore_Sooner
9/30/2008, 05:32 PM
People, A&M is the WORST team in the conference.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/30/2008, 05:34 PM
So has anybody seen aTm against Army, Miami, Arkansas St?

My gosh they are god awful....really...not just bad..we are talking they would struggle to make a bowl game in the sun belt conference

StormySooner-IN
9/30/2008, 05:34 PM
Im worried about Baylor this weekend.

I don't why....I just am. ;)

CK Sooner
9/30/2008, 05:35 PM
Im worried about Baylor this weekend.

I don't why....I just am. ;)

They QB is Fast!!!

:eek:

Baylor Penguin
9/30/2008, 05:49 PM
Baylor, of course!

God is a Bear. Satan is a drunken Sooner.

Baylor Penguin
9/30/2008, 05:50 PM
Ooh. That looks like a good sig! :texan:

OUMallen
9/30/2008, 05:54 PM
To "punch us in the mouth," someone is going to give us trouble scoring...I don't think we get too scared (i.e.- not a "mouth punch") if they score some on us because we like out chances in a shootout and that throughout the entire game, I trust our defense to get one more stop than ANY other defense in the conference.

That being said, I don't think A&M or KSU has it in them. KU's defense doesn't, although I expect Mangino to have them well-prepped. I fear no zorros from Taco Tech in Norman, and honestly, not that much in Lubbock as the only way they can beat us is by cheating or knocking out our startoing QB. Nebbish? Rubbish!

Obvious (and best) choices are UT and OSU. I think OSU will be a more difficult game than UT not because OSU is actually better than UT (I don't think they are pound-for-pound) but because they provide a matchup problem for us. Keeping their offense on the field for long periods of time is how they've lived this year, lots of rushing yards. I think that hurts...I think they can, on a good day, hold onto the ball for a long time, even against OU. Now, couple that with our natural tendency to score very quickly, and...well, crap, see where I am going. We could jump up 21 on them in the first half in a hurry, but the way they grind it out, it could spell bad news for us in the 2nd half because we don't have long, sustained drives with this fast offense to keep the D on the bench to rest. I don't think they're better conditioned than we are by ANY stretch, and we know they're not more athletic on the whole...I jsut think those tendencies make that game the most challenging.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/30/2008, 05:55 PM
Agreed. A&M is horrible. I will say that Baylor and Texas have a legit shot at keeping it close the first half (Baylor) and the whole game (Texas)

OUMallen
9/30/2008, 06:02 PM
Guy Morriss used to always have BU VERY well-prepped defensively to play the Sooners...I wonder how new coach will fare.

oumartin
9/30/2008, 06:06 PM
kstate will blitz blitz blitz and then blitz some more

sooneron
9/30/2008, 06:06 PM
prolly osu.

Breadburner
9/30/2008, 06:17 PM
The one we overlook.......Or are not up for.......

CK Sooner
9/30/2008, 06:18 PM
kstate will blitz blitz blitz and then blitz some more

TCU?

85sooners
9/30/2008, 06:20 PM
nebraska

birddog
9/30/2008, 06:22 PM
People, A&M is the WORST team in the conference.

when t. boone high is favored by 25.5 over them, this is a truism.

CrimsonandCreamForever
9/30/2008, 06:37 PM
OU. I really think this is much like '03 in the fact that the only team in the conference that has a legitimate chance to beat us is ourselves.

#2 in the south - texas.... really?

#1 in the north - mizzou... Daniels and Maclin, who else?

Aggy in Stillwater may be the biggest chance for us to beat ourselves. Sure, their offense matches up well with our D, but why, Bryant and Robinson? If we could contain MU, surely we can contain them. Plus, like someone else was saying, if our defense takes a dump, we can still hang in a shootout.

CK Sooner
9/30/2008, 06:41 PM
nebraska

You think they will cause more trouble than Texas?

MojoRisen
9/30/2008, 06:48 PM
Texas is by far the best team we will play this year- they will beat mizzou like a red headed step child as they always do..

The Maestro
9/30/2008, 06:49 PM
To answer the question, the team that better get ready to get hit right back.

And for the blitzing teams like KSU, that's fine. I hope you like watching Manny and crew rack up big numbers.

CK Sooner
9/30/2008, 06:50 PM
Texas is by far the best team we will play this year- they will beat mizzou like a red headed step child as they always do..

Mizzou scares me more than Texas does.

We play a good mistake free game we win every game.

:cool:

StormySooner-IN
9/30/2008, 07:46 PM
I'm seriously taken it one game at a time.

But if ya want me to pick games.

Texas....obviously.

Okie State.....on the road...always play werid there.
OUr secondary scares me....I think this game could be like a W42-41 situation.

One game at a time peoples. :)

Sabanball
9/30/2008, 08:11 PM
Won't be Texas AM. Joe Kines' 'bend but don't break' philosophy has never lended itself to being dominating on the LOS, and AM hasn't shown me anything on offense this year. BTW, this team lost AT KYLE FIELD to Arkie State. They are definitely in a rebuilding process. They are not likely to punch back at all.

The RRS is probably the most physical game you guys will have to play all season long, before the bowls. This year's husker team is not the team a lot of us grew up watching lining up in the I, pitching to an H or I back 35-40 times a game, and running over people. And I don't see b-e-d-l-a-m being a contest, on the scoreboard much less on the LOS.

goingoneight
9/30/2008, 11:08 PM
OSU gets us at hoem with a pretty decent offense. That, to me seems like the obvious pick.

If Zac Robinson can manage a turnover-free game, it could be a very high scoring affair. The game would hinge solely on who punts least. This means no crawling into a shell with a three score lead ala Colorado 2007. Something tells me this one's gonna be the craziest game of college football this year regardless of how these two teams end up in week 14.

Now, in reality... you just don't know. Out of everyone in the conference last year, the worst team made us look the worst (ISU). Sometimes you have those unpleasant surprises, usually following a bye week or a big game. OSU follows Tceh, KU follows Texass, KSU licks their chops during OUr Texas and Kansas games... will Bo Pelini make his statement like Les miles did in year one as a HC?

This schedule is too deceiving, especially given how college football just is in reality... I'm even curious to see how well we play against Baylor this weekend. Looks like another perfect storm is brewing for an upset like Colorado 2007 and the recent bowl flops.

Stay healthy, work hard, play harder.

olevetonahill
9/30/2008, 11:12 PM
Im thinking its gonna be whoever we Play In the 15th Game

Scott D
9/30/2008, 11:28 PM
Guy Morriss used to always have BU VERY well-prepped defensively to play the Sooners...I wonder how new coach will fare.

we seem to have done a pretty good job of kicking his *** when he was at Houston.

Payton
9/30/2008, 11:48 PM
As long as we have someone actually defending Crabtree this year we shouldn't have trouble with anyone. I do like what TCU did in delaying the defense they were showing until late in the play clock, so I think other teams will pick up on that and slow us down a tad bit. Sam in my opinion played one of his worst games yet, but I think that he will step it up and play better the rest of the season so I don't see anyone keeping it that close.

Half a Hundred
10/1/2008, 12:36 AM
'Bama in the Orange Bowl BCS NCG

We still dominate afterwards, though

BIG_IKE
10/1/2008, 01:38 AM
'Bama in the Orange Bowl BCS NCG

We still dominate afterwards, though

Something in my gut tells me that Bama will lose 2 or more times...Something tells me they are not as good as the nation thinks.

JLEW1818
10/1/2008, 01:54 AM
1) Oklahoma State
2) Texas
3) Texas Tech
4) Kansas
5) KSU
6) Nebraska
7) TAMU
8) Baylor

SelmaBamaFan
10/1/2008, 03:51 AM
The one we overlook.......Or are not up for.......

Thats why I said aTm. I wasnt saying they would beat yall, or even come close. I think they could come out the gate with a lot of emotion though and put a couple of drives together in the first quarter.

After that, yall will proceed to take them out behind the wood shed.

MrJimBeam
10/1/2008, 04:15 AM
Tie,

Halloween U. & Texas.

soonerwalt
10/1/2008, 07:25 AM
So has everyone totally discounted the Fighting Manginos? Yes I know they lost early to a very stout South Fla. team. The fact that we get them at home is a big plus but they're a very solid team.

Scoregasm
10/1/2008, 08:51 AM
Could be Tech, ATM, or OSU. I think we'll be ready for UT, but out of the other 3, we always seem to have a tough test (or lose) to at least one of those teams each year. They all suck equally in my opinion. :-)

OUMallen
10/1/2008, 08:56 AM
:les: :les: WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP SAYING A&M?!

A&M is really, really bad this year, guys. SErious.

Widescreen
10/1/2008, 09:22 AM
Yep. aTm sucks hard. Their fans even realize they have absolutely no chance against us - even at almighty Kyle Field. If their fans see the inevitable, I'm pretty sure we can rest easy.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/1/2008, 09:24 AM
expecting a punch from aTm is like expecting a punch from somebody who has had both arms amputated...Sure they are angry, but it ain't gonna happen

stoops the eternal pimp
10/1/2008, 11:18 AM
if there are any posters on here who have both arms amputated..I apologize

royalfan5
10/1/2008, 11:25 AM
OU should be able to name the score against Nebraska. NU simply can't defend OU's offensive talent. The only way NU competes against OU is if OU continually shoots itself in the foot on offense, defense, and special teams.

bearfan08
10/1/2008, 11:29 AM
Baylor does not have the depth of the sooners, but I think it could be close going into the 4th quarter. If you haven't watched our new quarterback this year the UCONN coach, who plays WVU every year, said he was faster than Pat White and can probably throw even better than he runs. Everyone is underestimating Baylor, but you could be in for a closer game than you are counting on. I don't really think that the bears will be able to pull it off in the 4th, but with the ability to score quick I think many will be surprised by the effort the Bears put up this weekend.

KingBarry
10/1/2008, 11:33 AM
Two games scare me this year.

Texas looks like they have another great team. Good chance we get inside their heads and they are intimidated and get schooled, but if that doesn't happen the RRS will be the toughest game this, maybe including the BCS Championship.

Ok State in Stillwater is always so hard, and they have a good team this year. We should beat them, but should and will are not the same thing.

Otherwise, Texas Tech and Kansas both seem capable of throwing a scare into the Sooners, but they both play in Norman. Kansas will be unable to hang with us past halftime, and Tech will be rolled over by early in the 4th.

Nebraska is not ready to compete with a team like the 08 Sooners. This year's Sooner squad is a great team. Last few years had some obvious attitude flaws. The 2008 Sooners do not have that.

Echoes
10/1/2008, 11:42 AM
Gotta be Oklahoma State. At their house, they always come to play and play their best game of the year against us, hands down. If they somehow manage a stop or 2 early, we could be staring at a 14-0 scoreboard.

However, we will still come back and dominate.

BillyBall
10/1/2008, 11:44 AM
Gotta be Oklahoma State. At their house, they always come to play and play their best game of the year against us, hands down. If they somehow manage a stop or 2 early, we could be staring at a 14-0 scoreboard.

However, we will still come back and dominate.

Completely agree, I think aggie light comes out on fire but their terrible *** defense will give us the ability to come back from an early hole.

oudivesherpa
10/1/2008, 12:01 PM
OSU & Baylor--they both have open dates before they play us.

OUMallen
10/1/2008, 12:18 PM
Baylor does not have the depth of the sooners, but I think it could be close going into the 4th quarter. If you haven't watched our new quarterback this year the UCONN coach, who plays WVU every year, said he was faster than Pat White and can probably throw even better than he runs. Everyone is underestimating Baylor, but you could be in for a closer game than you are counting on. I don't really think that the bears will be able to pull it off in the 4th, but with the ability to score quick I think many will be surprised by the effort the Bears put up this weekend.

OU > Wake Forest, and we saw what Wake did to you in Waco. Your QB is probably similar to Locker at Wash before he was hurt, if he's even that good. I don't put a lot of stock in what a UConn football coach says.

bearfan08
10/1/2008, 12:33 PM
OU > Wake Forest, and we saw what Wake did to you in Waco. Your QB is probably similar to Locker at Wash before he was hurt, if he's even that good. I don't put a lot of stock in what a UConn football coach says.

If you didn't watch the Wake game then you can't make that comparison. 5 turnovers lead to 21 points for wake. The 5 turnovers were 1) ball hits reciever in the hands and bounces to defender (was not griffin, but the now 2nd stringer) 2 &3) bad exchanges by a true freshman QB on the zone read that have been fixed 4) A punt comes up a little short and hits one of our guys on the head and bounces right to wake guy 5) 2nd string QB throws a hail mary pick towards the end of the game. Without those mistakes that gave Wake an average starting field position of the baylor 35 that game is a hell of a lot closer. I also think OU is better than Wake, but with more games under a true freshmans QB belt he is improving every single week, and if you doubt his speed check out the records he set in the 400 hurdles and the fact that he was 4th in olympic qualifications in an event the US typically dominates. He also threw a ball 65-70 yards in the air for a completion so yeah he can throw. did I also mention he graduated in december and was 6th in his highschool class and has a 3.8GPA. This kid is better than pryor at Ohio State, so even if they don't win this year it will be close and D-Coordinators will have to worry about the bears for the next 4 years.

bearfan08
10/1/2008, 12:35 PM

Then do you ignore the fact that Patt White beat you by 20 last year. He sees this team on a year in and year out basis, and he has taken a team that was 1AA not that long ago and brought them to respectable in a very short time. I would say he knows a little something about the game.

Pricetag
10/1/2008, 12:55 PM
So has everyone totally discounted the Fighting Manginos? Yes I know they lost early to a very stout South Fla. team. The fact that we get them at home is a big plus but they're a very solid team.
Amen. South Florida had a pretty rowdy crowd that night, and Kansas had rallied from a momentum turn that might have caused many teams to fold it up, and they were going to win that game until the INT. I was very impressed by the Jayhawks. They're a solid offensive team and a better defensive team than Tech--definitely our greatest threat at home this year.

Scott D
10/1/2008, 01:01 PM
Then do you ignore the fact that Patt White beat you by 20 last year. He sees this team on a year in and year out basis, and he has taken a team that was 1AA not that long ago and brought them to respectable in a very short time. I would say he knows a little something about the game.

pretty sure Baylor doesn't have anyone on par with Noel Devine or Steve Slaton, and I damn sure know they don't have an Owen Schmidt.

boomermagic
10/1/2008, 01:08 PM
It doesn't matter if we get punched in the mouth we can punch back and will. No opponent on our schedule SCARRES me.. The only concern I have is will we be ready to play ? If we don't start reading and believing what the press says about us we will run the table..

JLEW1818
10/1/2008, 01:11 PM
Very well said.

bearfan08
10/1/2008, 01:15 PM
pretty sure Baylor doesn't have anyone on par with Noel Devine or Steve Slaton, and I damn sure know they don't have an Owen Schmidt.

Not saying that we do I am just saying that a coach who sees him on a regular basis and who has accomplished what he has would be able to accurately evaluate talent. We are a 1 maybe 2, at times, trick pony (we do have a good running back that we can hand off to on the zone read and the other half of the time we have a wide reciever that can run past pretty much anyone but he only catches the ball half the time it hits him in the hands) again i am not predicting a win, but a much closer game than people think because griffin has energized the team and the fan base.

bearfan08
10/1/2008, 01:15 PM
It doesn't matter if we get punched in the mouth we can punch back and will. No opponent on our schedule SCARRES me.. The only concern I have is will we be ready to play ? If we don't start reading and believing what the press says about us we will run the table..

Otherwise known as USC syndrom.

boomermagic
10/1/2008, 01:43 PM
Otherwise known as USC syndrom.

I don't know I have never heard it called that but IF that is what happened to usc then I guess so.. One thing is for sure an opposing team had better hope we suffer from a syndrone of some sort or we'll kick their aZZ good..