PDA

View Full Version : Help me out...

CincySooner
9/30/2008, 08:36 AM
I didn't get to see a single down of the game last weekend due to the crapshoot that is FSN Ohio. The only replays I've seen are the highlight reels on soonersports and espn. I haven't seen any of the routine small-yardage plays at all.

I'm looking at the box score and noticed 2.0 yds/carry for the backs and I'm wondering what the circumstances were for that number. Was TCU just selling out against the run all night? Was OU just taking what TCU was willing to give them to the tune of 400 yds in the air? Was the O-line having a bad night run-blocking?

Anyway... a little info would be cool.

olevetonahill
9/30/2008, 08:37 AM
TCU sold out to stop the run
8 an 9 in the Box and Played Man on our recievers .
Sam torched em .

Aries
9/30/2008, 08:49 AM
What olevetonahill said... and TCU has a decent DL. We threw at them pretty much at will, though.

KantoSooner
9/30/2008, 09:15 AM
And it looked to me like the backs and lead blockers were a tiny bit out of synch all night long. Things go a little differently and the rush numbers might have been significantly higher. Murray, in particular, was about 18" away from long runs three or four times.

boomermagic
9/30/2008, 09:15 AM
I didn't get to see a single down of the game last weekend due to the crapshoot that is FSN Ohio. The only replays I've seen are the highlight reels on soonersports and espn. I haven't seen any of the routine small-yardage plays at all.

I'm looking at the box score and noticed 2.0 yds/carry for the backs and I'm wondering what the circumstances were for that number. Was TCU just selling out against the run all night? Was OU just taking what TCU was willing to give them to the tune of 400 yds in the air? Was the O-line having a bad night run-blocking?

Anyway... a little info would be cool.

Pretty much all of the above.. TCU does have a strong run defense.. We punted more than we have been because of that but Sam did find plenty of open receivers as well... The toads are not a bad team they did make it difficult to run the ball but they paid thru the air..

BornandBred
9/30/2008, 09:28 AM
The one thing that really scared me was all the pressure Sam was feeling. I felt he did a pretty decent job handling it, but a QB under pressure is never a good thing on offense. The pressure came from having tons of guys in the box, but it still shows a hole in our armor. I hope we can make corrections for this ASAP. Look what happened to Brady under pressure in the Super Bowl.

CK Sooner
9/30/2008, 01:08 PM
And it looked to me like the backs and lead blockers were a tiny bit out of synch all night long. Things go a little differently and the rush numbers might have been significantly higher. Murray, in particular, was about 18" away from long runs three or four times.

And for some reason Brown got the most carries.

BoulderSooner79
9/30/2008, 03:50 PM
The one thing that really scared me was all the pressure Sam was feeling. I felt he did a pretty decent job handling it, but a QB under pressure is never a good thing on offense. The pressure came from having tons of guys in the box, but it still shows a hole in our armor. I hope we can make corrections for this ASAP. Look what happened to Brady under pressure in the Super Bowl.

The frogs demonstrated the goodness and the badness of a very aggressive scheme. The goodness is that it can stuff the run and at the same time limit the time the QB has to throw. The badness is that if a receiver gets open quickly and the QB finds him, the play may well go the distance. The defense may win 90% of the snaps and still lose the game due to the big plays.

cvsooner
9/30/2008, 03:54 PM
The defense may win 90% of the snaps and still lose the game due to the big plays.

As in the 2008 Fiesta Bowl.

oumartin
9/30/2008, 04:10 PM
according to those on the radio OU could have scored 60 and there were recievers uncovered on 1st and 2nd downs because TCU was selling out to stop the run. That OU just put it on cruise control to get the game over and keep Sam from getting hit to much.

stoopified
9/30/2008, 04:37 PM
And for some reason Brown got the most carries.Ball security in heavy traffic.

stoopified
9/30/2008, 04:41 PM
according to those on the radio OU could have scored 60 and there were recievers uncovered on 1st and 2nd downs because TCU was selling out to stop the run. That OU just put it on cruise control to get the game over and keep Sam from getting hit to much.True dat.OU went into RUN THE CLOCK MODE right after the 35 was on the board.The scary thing about that to me was we put Sam into too many 3rd and longs that were unnecessary especially late in the game.